Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

Unbricking Z1 Compact

39 posts
Thanks Meter: 2

By Rzarector, Member on 31st July 2014, 05:19 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
So, today I've decided to root my Z1 Compact and install some custom roms. I've done this before on many other android phones without any trouble and today is the first time I ran into a brick (not sure whether it's soft or hard, I assume it's hard cause I cannot get into recovery anymore).

Basically, what I did was root the phone using Easyflash (the towelroot method), installed a recovery and then tried to flash PA the same way as I used to do on my other phones, but after the process my phone shut down and only gives a red blinking light while connected to the charger, powering on the device will only make it vibrate. The only thing that seems to "work" is when I hold the volume-up button + power and am connected to my PC, when I do that the device will show a blue LED, but other than that it's still unresponsive.

If anyone knows what to do here, or knows whether I should even bother or not, please tell me. I've tried searching and didn't come up with any relevant results.

31st July 2014, 06:38 PM |#2  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzarector

I've tried searching and didn't come up with any relevant results.

"I've tried searching and didn't come up with any relevant results" = I'm lazy.

Try flashing a ftf file and report back. Xperias are different so you need to relearn a little. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2631291
31st July 2014, 07:30 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 823

More
Quote:

So, today I've decided to root my Z1 Compact and install some custom roms. I've done this before on many other android phones without any trouble and today is the first time I ran into a brick (not sure whether it's soft or hard, I assume it's hard cause I cannot get into recovery anymore).

Basically, what I did was root the phone using Easyflash (the towelroot method), installed a recovery and then tried to flash PA the same way as I used to do on my other phones, but after the process my phone shut down and only gives a red blinking light while connected to the charger, powering on the device will only make it vibrate. The only thing that seems to "work" is when I hold the volume-up button + power and am connected to my PC, when I do that the device will show a blue LED, but other than that it's still unresponsive.

If anyone knows what to do here, or knows whether I should even bother or not, please tell me. I've tried searching and didn't come up with any relevant results.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/sony...d-108-t2822957
Just use my guide#5 to wipe the whole phone and reflash everything.

vol up + power will give you blue LED and it is fastboot mode. vol down + power will enter flash mode but no LED light.
31st July 2014, 10:02 PM |#4  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by XperienceD

"I've tried searching and didn't come up with any relevant results" = I'm lazy.

Try flashing a ftf file and report back. Xperias are different so you need to relearn a little. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2631291

This is the first thing I tried, but it doesn't seem to recognize my phone under windows (even after installing the drivers).
31st July 2014, 10:08 PM |#5  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEndHK

http://forum.xda-developers.com/sony...d-108-t2822957
Just use my guide#5 to wipe the whole phone and reflash everything.

vol up + power will give you blue LED and it is fastboot mode. vol down + power will enter flash mode but no LED light.

Thanks a lot for the guide, the stupid thing I did was holding the power button and volume down cause it used to be like that with my previous phones. It seems to be flashing now, so hopefully all is well!

EDIT:Flashing ended succesfully but upon booting the phone the only thing I get is a flashing red led, so I'm assuming it's a hardware defect or I did something terribly wrong while flashing a custom ROM.

EDIT2: After holding volume up + power it shut down and then rebooted

I swear, troubleshooting a phone was never this hard/confusing on my HTC/Samsung phones :V but I'm glad it's not a paperweight
31st July 2014, 10:42 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 134

More
I agree that it's very confusing first, but that's mainly because there are so many old, confusing, wrong or incorrect guides. Once you understood how things work in general you start to like it. After getting used to it, I actually feel more comfortable than with my old devices.
1st August 2014, 05:16 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 823

More
Quote:

Thanks a lot for the guide, the stupid thing I did was holding the power button and volume down cause it used to be like that with my previous phones. It seems to be flashing now, so hopefully all is well!

EDIT:Flashing ended succesfully but upon booting the phone the only thing I get is a flashing red led, so I'm assuming it's a hardware defect or I did something terribly wrong while flashing a custom ROM.

EDIT2: After holding volume up + power it shut down and then rebooted

I swear, troubleshooting a phone was never this hard/confusing on my HTC/Samsung phones :V but I'm glad it's not a paperweight

If you can get in flashmode and also successfully flashed .ftf but still a no go then you should send it back to Sony.
1st August 2014, 07:46 AM |#8  
OP Member

More
It's working fine, it just seemed like the phone was still on after flashing. I turned it off by holding power and volume up, and it works fine now.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)