MediaTek Pump Express Plus: does ZOPO 7 support quick charge?

Search This thread

jockyw2001

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 17, 2007
EDIT: For those who don't like to read here is a short summary. The Speed 7 and Speed 7 plus do support "Pump Express (PE)". With the attached modified little kernel and boot image for the stock Android 5.1 rom and with a stock charger, you can shorten the charge time by approximately 30-40%. An other MediaTek quick charge variant called "Pump Express Plus (PEP)" is not supported. I am now using my own PE mod since almost 2 months and am very happy with it :)

Here starts the original full story text:

Last year MediaTek announced their Quick Charge solution called Pump Express & Pump Express Plus:
http://www.mediatek.com/en/features/power-management/pump-express/

My Zopo 7 needs about 5 hours to fully charge when it is down to about 7%, so I tried to find out if Pump Express could be a solution.

A reasonable well explanation of Pump Express can be found here:
http://gadgetstouse.com/gadget-tech/mediatek-pump-express-charging/44855
And here is another document which compares QC and Mtk quick charge mechanisms:
http://www.panjit.com.tw/upload/en/product_app/6_product_app_file_1.pdf

It also mentions that the MT6753 chipset inside the Zopo Speed 7 does in fact support "Pump Express Plus". I then wondered what is further required to support it and I found one needs a battery charger with a charge controller ic such as the ones described here:
http://www.dialog-semiconductor.com/sites/default/files/mediatek-pump-express-adapter-solution.pdf

Such a battery charger is capable to deliver different power stages to the phone depending on what it senses on the USB VBUS supply line. An example of such a charger is this one:
http://de.aliexpress.com/item/In-St...Halo-H3-Quad-Core-4G-LTE-5-0/32285686209.html

I haven't tried such a charger myself yet and I would be very interested to hear if someone.

EDIT1:
In this Zopo support forum the administrator replied possibly the motherboard charge circuit limits the current. I want to verify if that is indeed the case and ordered a mediatek "pump express plus" compatible charger and will test it with my speed 7:
https://www.coolicool.com/original-usb-quick-charger-for-bluboo-x550-smartphone-g-41028

EDIT2:
In the stock kernel config the pump express options are not enabled, so I will have to build a new kernel or "borrow" a boot image from another device where it is enabled.
EDIT3:
I flashed a boot.img from a Ulefone Power stock rom. The Ulefone also has a MT6753 and supports pump express plus (pep). Unfortunately, my zopo doesn't boot up. So must build a custom kernel with pep enabled.

UPDATE1 (24/03/2016):
I have built a boot image and a little kernel (lk) with "Mediatek Pump Express (PE)" support for Zopo Speed 7. After I receive my "Pump Express Plus (PEP)" compatible charger I will also build a boot image and little kernel with PEP support. PEP software support depends on the charge chip that is built in the charger, so I need to open that charger to figure it out. I have just measured whether my phone charges quicker and indeed it is a lot faster now with a 5V/2A charger (see below). Everyone with a Zopo 7 and knowledge how to flash lk and boot images is invited to test. Of course I cannot be blamed or held liable if you damage or brick your phone with the attached software. My phone works fine with it.

I monitored charge percentage level and started charging with the phone powered on at a level of 15%:
17:45 15%
17:52 17%
18:09 28%
18:15 32%
18:45 50%
19:15 68%
19:45 87%
20:07 100%

That implies from 0 to 100% in 167 minutes which is less than 3 hours! Before, with the same charger it took 4-5 hours :)
The charging is a perfect linear curve and that is, as I understood it, exactly what Pump Express is supposed to do. I am hopeful Pump Express Plus can work too. Lets see in a couple of days when my charger will be delivered. To be continued ....

EDIT4:
I have done a cross check with the original boot.img and lk.bin: charging takes 2:20 minutes per 1%. With my Pump Express (PE) boot.img and lk.bin it takes 1:40 minute per 1%. So a full charge with my kernel built is almost 30% quicker :)

UPDATE2:
Added Pump Express (PE) enabled boot.img and lk.bin for the Speed 7 Plus (I own a Speed 7, so I can't test these files). Make a full backup with TWRP or CWM recovery and then try it out.

UPDATE3:
I received information about the charger hardware of the Speed 7 models directly from Zopo (thanks Charles Bird !): unfortunately the hardware does not support switched chargers and therefore also no Pump Express Plus :(

Attachments

• zope7-boot-and-lk-pump-express.rar
    7.3 MB · Views: 300
Last edited:

jockyw2001

May 17, 2007
I have updated my first post (UPDATE1) and attached a boot image and little kernel which support Pump Express.

Last edited:
Reactions: Listy2021

jockyw2001

May 17, 2007
I use SP Flashtool. Save my lk and boot files in a new folder and copy the scatter file to it.

I have done a cross check with the original boot and lk: 2.3 minute per 1%. My pump express boot and lk: 1.67 minute per 1%

Reactions: Listy2021

Listy2021

Jan 28, 2012
I use SP Flashtool. Save my lk and boot files in a new folder and copy the scatter file to it.

I have done a cross check with the original boot and lk: 2.3 minute per 1%. My pump express boot and lk: 1.67 minute per 1%

Gotcha :good: I'm a bit busy over the next few days, so I'll have a play about with the files probably Sunday night. Btw did you see that Carliv released a tweaked boot.img of his own? Any chance of you having a look and then incorporating his changes in to your boot.img along with PE (and PEP eventually). Thanks again for all your effort and work you're putting in to this matey :)

Last edited:

jockyw2001

May 17, 2007
Added Pump Express (PE) enabled boot.img and lk.bin for the Speed 7 Plus to my 1st post. Happy easter!

Reactions: marcol87

marcol87

Mar 17, 2016
CH-AQ
OnePlus Nord
Added Pump Express (PE) enabled boot.img and lk.bin for the Speed 7 Plus to my 1st post. Happy easter!

I tried the Pump Express on my Speed 7 Plus and I could charge the phone (from 16% to 100%) in 2h and 45 minutes! that's great!!

but not only the charging speed has increased: discharging is faster than before.
with stock lk and stock boot I could reach 4h of screen ON but now I can't even reach 2h. Also during the night the phone lose about 2,5% per hour (from 50% to 30% in almost 8h).
is this normal?

marcol87

Mar 17, 2016
CH-AQ
OnePlus Nord
another (very weird) problem: when I connect the charger to the phone, battery discharges faster and faster (17% to 11% in 5-6 min) and it keeps on discharging till I reboot the phone. after reboot the battery starts to charge

jockyw2001

May 17, 2007
I tried the Pump Express on my Speed 7 Plus and I could charge the phone (from 16% to 100%) in 2h and 45 minutes! that's great!!

but not only the charging speed has increased: discharging is faster than before.
with stock lk and stock boot I could reach 4h of screen ON but now I can't even reach 2h. Also during the night the phone lose about 2,5% per hour (from 50% to 30% in almost 8h).
is this normal?
Thanks for testing and reporting!

The discharge behavior is of course odd and something I will look in to. I didn't notice that on my Speed 7, but I will systematically check and compare the discharge curve of my Speed 7 with my kernel and the with original kernel. Some problems may be caused by the kernel, because the source code I used s not the latest version. Zopo published the source code of kernel v3.10.65 on 10/10/2015, but the kernel version in the latest published rom is of 28/12/2015 and is shown as version "3.10.65+" in the about phone settings menu. I suspect they fixed a few bugs in that version. I will ask Zopo whether they can share the latest kernel source code.

jockyw2001

May 17, 2007
another (very weird) problem: when I connect the charger to the phone, battery discharges faster and faster (17% to 11% in 5-6 min) and it keeps on discharging till I reboot the phone. after reboot the battery starts to charge
After flashing the new files I recommend to power off the phone and remove the battery for about 20 seconds. This ensures the PMIC (power management ic) is properly resetted.

jockyw2001

May 17, 2007
Before reflashing stock boot and lk I would advise to remove the battery for about 20 seconds and then test again.

marcol87

Mar 17, 2016
CH-AQ
OnePlus Nord
I tried to remove the battery for 20 seconds but the problem persists (from 38% to 16% during the night, about 7 hours).
so, with 16% of battery, I reflashed stock boot and lk, removed the battery for 20 seconds and after the boot the battery was magically at 58%.
Now it's at 29% and I'm still using it.

jockyw2001

May 17, 2007
so, with 16% of battery, I reflashed stock boot and lk, removed the battery for 20 seconds and after the boot the battery was magically at 58%.
That shows the battery charge value is not correctly displayed when you use my files and the battery calibration must be resetted. I found a procedure somewhere in the zopomobile forums once, but I haven't got a link right now.

marcol87

Mar 17, 2016
CH-AQ
OnePlus Nord
That shows the battery charge value is not correctly displayed when you use my files and the battery calibration must be resetted. I found a procedure somewhere in the zopomobile forums once, but I haven't got a link right now.

I could not find that procedure.
I'll try with Battery Calibration app from the playstore, do you think it's a good solution?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    EDIT: For those who don't like to read here is a short summary. The Speed 7 and Speed 7 plus do support "Pump Express (PE)". With the attached modified little kernel and boot image for the stock Android 5.1 rom and with a stock charger, you can shorten the charge time by approximately 30-40%. An other MediaTek quick charge variant called "Pump Express Plus (PEP)" is not supported. I am now using my own PE mod since almost 2 months and am very happy with it :)

Here starts the original full story text:

Last year MediaTek announced their Quick Charge solution called Pump Express & Pump Express Plus:
    http://www.mediatek.com/en/features/power-management/pump-express/

My Zopo 7 needs about 5 hours to fully charge when it is down to about 7%, so I tried to find out if Pump Express could be a solution.

A reasonable well explanation of Pump Express can be found here:
    http://gadgetstouse.com/gadget-tech/mediatek-pump-express-charging/44855
    And here is another document which compares QC and Mtk quick charge mechanisms:
    http://www.panjit.com.tw/upload/en/product_app/6_product_app_file_1.pdf

It also mentions that the MT6753 chipset inside the Zopo Speed 7 does in fact support "Pump Express Plus". I then wondered what is further required to support it and I found one needs a battery charger with a charge controller ic such as the ones described here:
    http://www.dialog-semiconductor.com/sites/default/files/mediatek-pump-express-adapter-solution.pdf

Such a battery charger is capable to deliver different power stages to the phone depending on what it senses on the USB VBUS supply line. An example of such a charger is this one:
    http://de.aliexpress.com/item/In-St...Halo-H3-Quad-Core-4G-LTE-5-0/32285686209.html

I haven't tried such a charger myself yet and I would be very interested to hear if someone.

EDIT1:
    In this Zopo support forum the administrator replied possibly the motherboard charge circuit limits the current. I want to verify if that is indeed the case and ordered a mediatek "pump express plus" compatible charger and will test it with my speed 7:
    https://www.coolicool.com/original-usb-quick-charger-for-bluboo-x550-smartphone-g-41028

EDIT2:
    In the stock kernel config the pump express options are not enabled, so I will have to build a new kernel or "borrow" a boot image from another device where it is enabled.
    EDIT3:
    I flashed a boot.img from a Ulefone Power stock rom. The Ulefone also has a MT6753 and supports pump express plus (pep). Unfortunately, my zopo doesn't boot up. So must build a custom kernel with pep enabled.

UPDATE1 (24/03/2016):
    I have built a boot image and a little kernel (lk) with "Mediatek Pump Express (PE)" support for Zopo Speed 7. After I receive my "Pump Express Plus (PEP)" compatible charger I will also build a boot image and little kernel with PEP support. PEP software support depends on the charge chip that is built in the charger, so I need to open that charger to figure it out. I have just measured whether my phone charges quicker and indeed it is a lot faster now with a 5V/2A charger (see below). Everyone with a Zopo 7 and knowledge how to flash lk and boot images is invited to test. Of course I cannot be blamed or held liable if you damage or brick your phone with the attached software. My phone works fine with it.

I monitored charge percentage level and started charging with the phone powered on at a level of 15%:
    17:45 15%
    17:52 17%
    18:09 28%
    18:15 32%
    18:45 50%
    19:15 68%
    19:45 87%
    20:07 100%

That implies from 0 to 100% in 167 minutes which is less than 3 hours! Before, with the same charger it took 4-5 hours :)
    The charging is a perfect linear curve and that is, as I understood it, exactly what Pump Express is supposed to do. I am hopeful Pump Express Plus can work too. Lets see in a couple of days when my charger will be delivered. To be continued ....

EDIT4:
    I have done a cross check with the original boot.img and lk.bin: charging takes 2:20 minutes per 1%. With my Pump Express (PE) boot.img and lk.bin it takes 1:40 minute per 1%. So a full charge with my kernel built is almost 30% quicker :)

UPDATE2:
    Added Pump Express (PE) enabled boot.img and lk.bin for the Speed 7 Plus (I own a Speed 7, so I can't test these files). Make a full backup with TWRP or CWM recovery and then try it out.

UPDATE3:
    I received information about the charger hardware of the Speed 7 models directly from Zopo (thanks Charles Bird !): unfortunately the hardware does not support switched chargers and therefore also no Pump Express Plus :(
    Okay thanks. Any recommendation for better battery stats?
    Sure, followe this http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s4-active/general/real-i537-deepsleep-t2850951 and this guide http://xdaforums.com/android/general/guide-0-0-hour-idle-battery-drain-stock-t2973588 you can also do this:

1. Edit /etc/perfservscntbl.txt

CMD_SET_CPU_CORE, SCN_APP_TOUCH, 1
    CMD_SET_CPU_FREQ, SCN_APP_TOUCH, 1144000
    CMD_SET_CPU_CORE, SCN_SW_FRAME_UPDATE, 2
    CMD_SET_CPU_FREQ, SCN_SW_FRAME_UPDATE, 1144000
    CMD_SET_CPU_CORE, SCN_APP_SWITCH, 8
    CMD_SET_CPU_UP_THRESHOLD, SCN_SW_FRAME_UPDATE, 80
    CMD_SET_CPU_DOWN_THRESHOLD, SCN_SW_FRAME_UPDATE, 65
    CMD_SET_CPU_CORE, SCN_APP_LAUNCH, 8
    CMD_SET_CPU_FREQ, SCN_APP_LAUNCH, 1144000
    I have updated my first post (UPDATE1) and attached a boot image and little kernel which support Pump Express.
    Speed 7

I will build Speed 7 Plus images in a few days.