FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Guide] How to get your MSL code

475 posts
Thanks Meter: 72

By Poebat, Senior Member on 28th June 2017, 08:14 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Alright so I was bored and started poking around trying to find a way to get the MSL. Well after a couple hours of trail and error, I got it! Here's how.
You will need: ADB, ADB Drivers, and a rooted device.
Plug in your phone into your computer.
Run the following (in CMD) :
1: adb shell
2: su
3: am start com.sec.hiddenmenu/.Program_Edit
It should open a menu with your MSL at the bottom. Hope this helped!
I have tested this on Android 5.0.1 and Android 6.0.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Poebat For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Poebat Ad-Free
1st July 2017, 10:18 PM |#2  
Flag Lagos
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poebat

Alright so I was bored and started poking around trying to find a way to get the MSL. Well after a couple hours of trail and error, I got it! Here's how.
You will need: ADB, ADB Drivers, and a rooted device.
Plug in your phone into your computer.
Run the following (in CMD) :
1: adb shell
2: su
3: am start com.sec.hiddenmenu/.Program_Edit
It should open a menu with your MSL at the bottom. Hope this helped!
I have tested this on Android 5.0.1 and Android 6.0.

Can I achieve sim unlock on 6.0.1 after having this msl code? Or why do I need the msl code
1st July 2017, 11:42 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzdglass

Can I achieve sim unlock on 6.0.1 after having this msl code? Or why do I need the msl code

You need the MSL to edit APNs, enable / disable bands of LTE, etc. Not sure if you can SIM unlock on 6.0.1. I have heard that people have had success unlocking their devices with the MSL code on 5.0
2nd July 2017, 04:55 AM |#4  
Flag Lagos
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Quote:

You need the MSL to edit APNs, enable / disable bands of LTE, etc. Not sure if you can SIM unlock on 6.0.1. I have heard that people have had success unlocking their devices with the MSL code on 5.0

You know how to? I might give it a try
2nd July 2017, 02:12 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzdglass

You know how to? I might give it a try

Sim unlock? No but look through the forums. Also look on the sprint s6 forums too... If your contract is up just do a UUIC unlock under system update. That should sim unlock your phone.
27th July 2017, 04:57 PM |#6  
Flag Belleville
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Quote:

Sim unlock? No but look through the forums. Also look on the sprint s6 forums too... If your contract is up just do a UUIC unlock under system update. That should sim unlock your phone.

Hey @Poebat, how do we do the UUIC unlock under system update? Every time I press it I get the hands free activation window popping up. I bought this SM-G900P used and unlocked from a Canadian retailer to use here in Canada. I worked fine with my Canadian carrier sim card until I did a factory reset and now it's apparently relocked. I called Sprint and they said there is a region lock on the phone (after giving them the IMEI number) and refuse to help or unlock the phone again unless I set up a Sprint account...
Any help is greatly appreciated.
27th July 2017, 05:24 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipwreck65

Hey @Poebat, how do we do the UUIC unlock under system update? Every time I press it I get the hands free activation window popping up. I bought this SM-G900P used and unlocked from a Canadian retailer to use here in Canada. I worked fine with my Canadian carrier sim card until I did a factory reset and now it's apparently relocked. I called Sprint and they said there is a region lock on the phone (after giving them the IMEI number) and refuse to help or unlock the phone again unless I set up a Sprint account...
Any help is greatly appreciated.

I would take it to your carrier and ask them to unlock it. After that I would create a TWRP backup just in case.

As for the UUIC lock, you need to have the phone activated on sprint unfortunately.
27th July 2017, 06:36 PM |#8  
Flag Belleville

More
Quote:

I would take it to your carrier and ask them to unlock it. After that I would create a TWRP backup just in case.

As for the UUIC lock, you need to have the phone activated on sprint unfortunately.

Thanks for the quick reply @Poebat. If I can't fix the issue by 3PM EST today I will be seeing if my carrier can unlock it LOL. I do have a NAND back up from TWRP from when the phone was actually working with my carriers SIM and want to try and flash that back to the phone, but need some help before I try it. Would you be able to possibly look at the thread I posted with what I'm trying to do and see if you might be able to help?
Thanks in advance if you can. The thread is here:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/gal...-file-t3647355
27th July 2017, 06:48 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipwreck65

Thanks for the quick reply @Poebat. If I can't fix the issue by 3PM EST today I will be seeing if my carrier can unlock it LOL. I do have a NAND back up from TWRP from when the phone was actually working with my carriers SIM and want to try and flash that back to the phone, but need some help before I try it. Would you be able to possibly look at the thread I posted with what I'm trying to do and see if you might be able to help?
Thanks in advance if you can. The thread is here:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/gal...-file-t3647355

I've tried to make a flashable backup before... I spent awhile trying to get it to work but in the end I failed. So I don't know how to help you there. You mentioned that you got an error when you tried to restore that backup. What was the error?
27th July 2017, 07:12 PM |#10  
Flag Belleville

More
Quote:

I've tried to make a flashable backup before... I spent awhile trying to get it to work but in the end I failed. So I don't know how to help you there. You mentioned that you got an error when you tried to restore that backup. What was the error?

It was the dreaded "extractTarFork() process ended with ERROR=255" LOL. A lot of people have had it apparently but in all the threads I read on here no one had solved it yet. So I thought I would try the way I mentioned in my linked post.
27th July 2017, 08:33 PM |#11  
Flag Belleville

More
Hey @Poebat I'm gonna get my MSL number here, but just need to know first... When connecting to the phone with adb should the phone be in download mode or just turned on and connected?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)