FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[HOW TO] DeOdex YOUR lollipop Rom

175 posts
Thanks Meter: 204

By townsenk, Senior Member on 27th March 2015, 01:57 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
How to DeOdex YOUR 0A6 Rom.

I would like to note that I appreciate all the work that developers have put forth in creating and maintaining modified Roms. there are some awesome feature rich implementations available. My intentions are not to be critical of any specific Rom or mod. Without the developers we would have nothing.

Firt off, Let me explain why I'm writing this guide of sorts. I've always enjoyed an essentially stock ODEXED rom with a minnimum of tweaks.
When 0A6 arrived with ART support odexing is not currently possible. I attempted to use prepared deoxed varietys but there was always something that was a dealbreaker for me. I have nothing against features but a ROM completely loaded with bells and whistles tends to allow bugs and stability issues creep in. and the requirements to wipe 15 times and do a clean flash while singing a gregorian chant just to get it to boot didn't settle well with me.

Using one of the DeOdexed varietys, I was having problems with duplicate apk's being created in /data/app and erronoius Play store updates compounding this issue. There was also an issue with Private Mode and a variety of FC's. In frustration I reverted to a stock rooted configuration and my phone was rock solid.

BUT, I really missed a few mods that I had grown very accustomed to having namely,

5-Way Reboot
Hotspot Mod
PRL Write
Extra Toggles

So instead of trying to install clean why not create a way for me to Custom DeOdex *MY* rom? and not have to start from scratch everytime allowing a dirty flash without creating some crazy stability issue.

This method is very common knowledge I thought I'd just explain it in an easy to understand way.

Here is what you need.

A stock 0A6 ROOTED configurated phone. Debloat as needed. Set the phone up exactly how you like it with apps and such.
Make sure it's stable. (If you have issues before DeOdexing they will be there afterward!)

Here's the files you may need to make this happen

LBD2.4.zip
7-Zip
Installer template (at end of post)

1> Make sure ADB is working on your computer. USB debugging turned on. Create a folder to store your soon to be download system files and launch a DOS shell from that working folder. Working folder name should NOT contain spaces. With the phone hooked up you should be able to type adb shell and get a prompt.

2> Type these commands
adb pull /system/app app/
adb pull /system/priv-app/ priv-app/
adb pull /system/framework framework/

This will take awhile and you will be left with three folders

Create a new folder named "system" and place these three folders inside.

3> Extract and launch LBD2.4 (This is the DeOdexer and is AWESOME). Point it at your recently created "system" folder and let it do it's thing.
I'll assume this will occur without errors as I have never had any.

4> At this point you can manually apply modded apk's to the system folder but I don't really recommend it. They can be applied afterward using the seperate installer zips.

5> with 7-Zip installed open the provided Installer template. Do not Extract it. Just open it in the 7-Zip file browser using the right click context menu in windows.

Drag-Drop the contents of your system folder into the empty system folder in the 7-Zip browser It should be the three folders previously created but now they are Deodexed. Close the 7-zip file manager and select Yes if it asks you to save.

Note: The provided installer template has been modified to only wipe and replace the three system directories.

6. Copy the created installer to your sdcard and install with recovery. Wipe cache and Dalvik before rebooting.
Go have lunch. You will sit at a boot screen for about 10 minutes. Then another 20 to rebuild caches. Time varies.

7. Your system will now be Deodexed! At this point you can install your mods one at a time, I recommend this so you can test your system between installs to determine if a specific mod is creating problems.

This method has so far removed ALL of my stability issues.
Attached Files
File Type: zip InstallerTemplate.zip - [Click for QR Code] (180.6 KB, 16012 views)
The Following 42 Users Say Thank You to townsenk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift townsenk Ad-Free

9th May 2015, 01:44 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
The InstallerTemplate is valid for other devices? E.g. Samsung S4.

Thanks.
21st May 2015, 07:48 AM |#3  
Flag Melbourne, Australia
Thanks Meter: 325

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinielascom

The InstallerTemplate is valid for other devices? E.g. Samsung S4.

Thanks.

I, too, would like to know if I can use this on my Note 4 (N910G).
21st May 2015, 02:21 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 141

More
Now I haven't used adb in a while but every time I try to run 'adb pull /system/app app/' it runs for about 4 seconds then quits. Then I try to run any other command and it says the device is offline. I have everything up to date, so I'm at a loss right now.

EDIT: So I couldn't get adb to work right so I pulled the folders using ES file manager then copied them to my PC. When I run the deoxeder I get two errors, Invalid Application Directory -"Application folder and Rom folder should not have spaces" and Error -"Invalid Rom Folder"

EDIT: I had a space at the end of a folder title, currently running, will test, and report back.
21st May 2015, 02:29 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
stuck
stuck on boot :S s5 g900h
21st May 2015, 04:35 PM |#6  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 1

More
so confused, i dont know what to do
I am on a Sprint Samsung Galaxy S5 running stock lolipop 5.0. I want to deodex my Rom so that I can intall xposed. After 8 hours I am practically in tear because absolutely NO-one can help

I dont know what to do for Rom System Path. I followed alll the instruction to detail and eveytime I click run it tells me that there is no space or something.. Here is the path I have no idea whre to go from here

Click image for larger version

Name:	pic1.png
Views:	2768
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	3324458
22nd May 2015, 02:31 AM |#7  

More
The rom system path would be what you did in step two:

2> Type these commands

So you would click 'browse' then go to the system folder you made and place the other three folders in.
27th May 2015, 05:21 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Pulling files via adb gave me errors, so I downloaded it by root explorer
Now I'm deodexed, thanks a lot
The Following User Says Thank You to Zhekin For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Zhekin Ad-Free
29th May 2015, 02:37 AM |#9  
Flag Pisa, Italy
Thanks Meter: 168

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by daswahnsinn

The rom system path would be what you did in step two:

2> Type these commands

So you would click 'browse' then go to the system folder you made and place the other three folders in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhekin

Pulling files via adb gave me errors, so I downloaded it by root explorer
Now I'm deodexed, thanks a lot

How have you guys replaced back the three deodexed folders???

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-i9300 using Tapatalk 4
29th May 2015, 02:40 AM |#10  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIRATA!

How have you guys replaced back the three deodexed folders???

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-i9300 using Tapatalk 4

There's an update zip in the OP's first thread. Now that being said I have a Note 3 and haven't tried it yet. Been a little busy but I have a complete deodex'd the three folders w/o errors.
The Following User Says Thank You to daswahnsinn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift daswahnsinn Ad-Free
29th May 2015, 09:04 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Boot loop. SM-G900M
I got stuck on boot scrren, and my recovery can't format cache partition in the recovery.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)