Network problems after updating to Marshmallow.

2 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By Villori, Junior Member on 27th March 2016, 07:30 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Sprint GS6 Edge - Unlocked by Sprint - Android 6.0.1

I updated to Marshmallow earlier today and everything is great except for the fact that I am not getting signal on my phone. It keeps saying Searching for Service on the top left of the screen and the signal bars stay at 0.
I tried changing Network Mode but I get an "Emergency Calls only" if i switch to GSM/ UMTS and if I try to look for my network provider manually I get no results. With both LTE/ CDMA and CDMA it just keeps looking for Service.

I am not in the States but have been using this phone for the past year or so with no problems until I updated this morning (downloaded .tar file and flashed it with Odin).
I was rooted and had a custom rom before I updated but I made sure to clean the phone and do all the steps correctly to update. Also, the phone gets signal even without rooting/ custom rom in 5.0.2 (again, Sprint unlocked the phone when I first got it).

Any ideas on what to do/ how to fix this? If it is a problem with the update, is there a way for me to go back to 5.0.2?

Thanks for the help!
30th March 2016, 06:13 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Same problem OTA update.
Did u find any solution to your problem I am also outside US, I got an OTA update of Marshmallow for GS6(unlocked by sprint), and it can't find the network anymore, I've been using the phone with the same regional carrier for months and now after the update can't find the network.
30th March 2016, 07:46 PM |#3  
Flag Santo Domingo
Thanks Meter: 7

Donate to Me
More
Same issue here... I have tried everything... and nada!
Also out of the country with a rooted and unlocked Sprint Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge SM-925P - I tried and searched everywhere, even went to a "GSM Phone Genius Store" and they could not do anything for me. I do get on my network (Orange), on automatic or LTE data works fine but I can't either receive nor make calls. At first I thought it had something to do with the Hands Free Activation pop up but after I could not find any solution I went back to 5.1.1 the Hands Free Activation popped again and of course would not register just like on 6.0.1 but... I had all my network connections working fine. I was able to make calls, receive them and LTE data as well. So that was not the issue. I then (rooted) took off the Hands Free Activation pop up by renaming the SprintDM.apk file to .bak just in case you guys want to remove the annoying notification... In all the searching I found that this was a glitch on Sprint's version of the Marshmallow update, since this is the only 6.0.1 for my SM-925P I could not use another country's 6.0.1 I tried jejeje, believe me I tried... So, it appears that we will have to wait until Sprint finds it in them to fix this but I am very hopeful the REAL Geniuses of XDA could come up with a patch for this issue. The guys at the store I went said that the cell's operating system was not getting the GSM network and that is why I could not make or receive any calls and the LTE was working fine. Hope this helps some and even more hopeful that any of the boyz/girlz of XDA take pitty on us and come up with a fix for this thanks in advance...

Mario Bello Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge SM-925P
31st March 2016, 12:11 AM |#4  
Flag SoCal
Thanks Meter: 74

More
Is it because you're out of the States has something to do with it?
A few of us did the same thing but didn't encounter any of the issues you're mentioning?!
So far everything is working smoothly. I just can't wait for a nice MM based ROM to come out for Sprint variants..
31st March 2016, 12:27 AM |#5  
Flag Santo Domingo

Donate to Me
More
I guess but I went back to 5.1.1 and everything works fine... So, I do think so... Oh well, me too waiting on a MM Rom to see if something changes... But meanwhile still NOT able to make or receive calls ...
1st April 2016, 05:43 AM |#6  
Flag Chihuahua
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Possible Fix
I had this problem with a Sprint S6 Flat too, what I did to fix it was to download an older firmware where the S6 was gettin signal then extract the modem.bin from it and flashed it in odin, restart the phone and got signal
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GTOFerrari For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift GTOFerrari Ad-Free
1st April 2016, 01:32 PM |#7  

More
How did you extract de file to get the modem?
How did you extract to get the modem?
1st April 2016, 09:20 PM |#8  
Flag Santo Domingo

Donate to Me
More
Extracted and flashed... still issues...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOFerrari

I had this problem with a Sprint S6 Flat too, what I did to fix it was to download an older firmware where the S6 was gettin signal then extract the modem.bin from it and flashed it in odin, restart the phone and got signal

Wow really thought this was gonna work, many thanks... I did as you said and was very hopeful... once I flashed the modem the phone did come up with a signal and I could make calls but now the phone does not switch from GSM to LTE back and forth. If I have it on (Automatic) LTE/Data works fine, as soon as I try to make a call it goes to 3g then just signal up but it does not make the call and then it wont bring back LTE, stays on 3g... I'm dying here with this! If I put it on GSM / UMTS I am able to make calls but no Data...

I did do it with the 6.0.1 as it was, I gonna try this, do a factory reset, flash a clean version of the 6.0.1 and then flash the modem to see what happens.

Again, many thanks GTOFerrari, by far the best option TO FIX this I have see to date.
Mario Bello

---------- Post added at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanakwameampong

How did you extract to get the modem?

Yeah, I was curious as to how to do that as well, spent sometime in google but I found the way, and it is actually very simple. You download the firmware from which you would like to extract the modem. Then with WinRAP or any software like that you find the firmware and click extract on a folder cause about 5 files extract from it or so and you will see the modem.bin file there. Now, the issue was how to flash the bin file through Odin, it does not say "Phone" anymore like previous versions of Odin, so more google time spent and what I ended up doing was converting the .bin file to TAR and then flashed it through Odin clicking on AP like always. I found a software called PeaZip that converts the .bin file into TAR... There's probably a way to flash it through Odin as a .bin file clicking on one of the other options BL, CP (probably this one CP) or CSC but I don't know which represents "Phone" for sure so I converted the file as instructed on another XDA thread and that's how I did it.

Hope this helps, and again, the props on the solution goes to GTOFerrari...!
Mario Bello
The Following User Says Thank You to mariobello For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mariobello Ad-Free
2nd April 2016, 12:17 AM |#9  
Flag Chihuahua

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariobello

Wow really thought this was gonna work, many thanks... I did as you said and was very hopeful... once I flashed the modem the phone did come up with a signal and I could make calls but now the phone does not switch from GSM to LTE back and forth. If I have it on (Automatic) LTE/Data works fine, as soon as I try to make a call it goes to 3g then just signal up but it does not make the call and then it wont bring back LTE, stays on 3g... I'm dying here with this! If I put it on GSM / UMTS I am able to make calls but no Data...

I did do it with the 6.0.1 as it was, I gonna try this, do a factory reset, flash a clean version of the 6.0.1 and then flash the modem to see what happens.

Again, many thanks GTOFerrari, by far the best option TO FIX this I have see to date.
Mario Bello

---------- Post added at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

Yeah, I was curious as to how to do that as well, spent sometime in google but I found the way, and it is actually very simple. You download the firmware from which you would like to extract the modem. Then with WinRAP or any software like that you find the firmware and click extract on a folder cause about 5 files extract from it or so and you will see the modem.bin file there. Now, the issue was how to flash the bin file through Odin, it does not say "Phone" anymore like previous versions of Odin, so more google time spent and what I ended up doing was converting the .bin file to TAR and then flashed it through Odin clicking on AP like always. I found a software called PeaZip that converts the .bin file into TAR... There's probably a way to flash it through Odin as a .bin file clicking on one of the other options BL, CP (probably this one CP) or CSC but I don't know which represents "Phone" for sure so I converted the file as instructed on another XDA thread and that's how I did it.

Hope this helps, and again, the props on the solution goes to GTOFerrari...!
Mario Bello

In many forums that I've read, mentions that most sprint mobile works only on 3G outside the US
I'm from México and that's how we use it, sometimes get LTE, sometimes not
And the modem.bin is flashed in CP in the latest Odin
The Following User Says Thank You to GTOFerrari For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift GTOFerrari Ad-Free
2nd April 2016, 02:00 PM |#10  

More
conversion of bin to tar?
can you please help with how to do the conversion of the bin file to a tar file using peazip?
2nd April 2016, 08:31 PM |#11  
Flag Chihuahua

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanakwameampong

can you please help with how to do the conversion of the bin file to a tar file using peazip?

No need to convert .bin to .tar
Just flash modem.bin in latest Odin in CP
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GTOFerrari For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift GTOFerrari Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
question

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)