FORUMS

U System firmware on BLv5/6 Phone

969 posts
Thanks Meter: 407
 
By lvpre, Senior Member on 3rd August 2018, 06:16 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
1. Thanks to @FP_XDA and GSMZambia for the great directions found here

2. The other stuff and ideas:

The above method does put the U firmware on your phone. I had trouble getting it to connect to the network. I did try different combinations of files in the AP tar; CP; and CSC, but it would either not connect after a factory data reset or loop with the message about my SIM has changed, please restart.

I tried just flashing the following combinations through flashfire, but maybe this is a Sprint SIM issue and it works on other SIM cards; however, I have Sprint.

The U firmware seemed to work fine on the software. Including boot.img in flashfire would take away the eng_boot and root. I just had trouble connecting to the Sprint network.

Do you need to use the v5 combo file and flash a certain CP/CSC before going through the rooting steps? The U firmware CSC file is different in size, so is it a partition (PIT) issue since that will write the cache.img.ext4 file and those vary in size from stock to the U? Is there a certain order to flash in flashfire to get it to work properly?

Anyway, I downloaded several U CSC firmwares (XAA, XAS, SPR (last two are sprint)), but ran into some network issue every time. The operating system seemed stable, but the lack of connection and some random entries under settings make it so close, but yet so far.

I don't mind the Sprint firmware, but can you unlock additional LTE bands if you use the stock sprint firmware on another carrier?

Thanks for any help!
The Following User Says Thank You to lvpre For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lvpre Ad-Free
4th August 2018, 04:14 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 407
 
More
Here is more info about the Settings submenu options:

Here is some more detailed info:

The submenus under settings give me options like K twophoneservice; T roaming; Giga LTE. I think it is CSC related as those carriers are Korean based. I think this may be my issue along with a few others I've seen on reddit. Just wondering why it says that though. I used the G930U version, so not sure why this would appear.


Any help or suggestions?

Thanks
6th August 2018, 03:25 PM |#3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Bootloop
Did you get Oreo working while running on v5? Have followed steps in that video but the phone always gets stuck in a boot loop. I extracted the latest Oreo files from the AP file and every seems to flash right but gets stuck in a boot loop after flashfire reboots. Have tried multiple times with same result. Would rather not upgrade to v6 but was trying to get Oreo working.
7th August 2018, 02:51 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 407
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiedude

Did you get Oreo working while running on v5? Have followed steps in that video but the phone always gets stuck in a boot loop. I extracted the latest Oreo files from the AP file and every seems to flash right but gets stuck in a boot loop after flashfire reboots. Have tried multiple times with same result. Would rather not upgrade to v6 but was trying to get Oreo working.

I didn't try Oreo, but I didn't have any success getting Nougat to work. It would install and run fine, but I never got it to connect to a network. I tried flashing different imgs and making zip files with additional files to add to the system and same result. I do have additional LTE bands unlocked (12,13,17), but since I still have sprint, I have no way to test it.

I assume that everything would work normal except for VoLTE, but I think you could add that with root.
7th August 2018, 03:06 AM |#5  
elesbb's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 5,336
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvpre

I didn't try Oreo, but I didn't have any success getting Nougat to work. It would install and run fine, but I never got it to connect to a network. I tried flashing different imgs and making zip files with additional files to add to the system and same result. I do have additional LTE bands unlocked (12,13,17), but since I still have sprint, I have no way to test it.

I assume that everything would work normal except for VoLTE, but I think you could add that with root.

You have to follow the other guide on here about disabling packages. The only problem: you can't disable packages anymore with the apps from the play store. Samsung stopped that. There are system level applications that are blocking you from connecting to sprints network after flashing eng_boot. My guess is you flashed eng_boot, phone booted, then shutdown and reboot, now no network connection? This happens with the binary 4 version as well. I have been on nougat rooted using U firmware for a good while. I once had to re-install everything and when I went to disable the apps, I couldn't. There is a way to disable them via ADB but its not easy and requires patience. But once those packages are disabled, you will have a perfectly running phone with root.

Here are the packages:
Quote:
Originally Posted by XMayhem2099

7. Disable the following packages via bk or adhell
Chameleon
Sprint OMADM
Sprint OMADM Phone Interface
MDMApp
SecurityLogAgent
Security Policy Updates
Security Storage

I came here looking to see if the same eng_boot works on Oreo. Guess I will just have to go ahead and try it myself
7th August 2018, 04:45 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 407
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by elesbb

You have to follow the other guide on here about disabling packages. The only problem: you can't disable packages anymore with the apps from the play store. Samsung stopped that. There are system level applications that are blocking you from connecting to sprints network after flashing eng_boot. My guess is you flashed eng_boot, phone booted, then shutdown and reboot, now no network connection? This happens with the binary 4 version as well. I have been on nougat rooted using U firmware for a good while. I once had to re-install everything and when I went to disable the apps, I couldn't. There is a way to disable them via ADB but its not easy and requires patience. But once those packages are disabled, you will have a perfectly running phone with root.

Here are the packages:


I came here looking to see if the same eng_boot works on Oreo. Guess I will just have to go ahead and try it myself

The version used by GSMZambia includes a boot.img file, which removes the eng_boot and root after a factory reset. It sounds like you are actually still b4 for everything. This version is for people on b5/6 and want to install the U firmware. However, you are correct about disabling those packages when rooting on the U firmware. You lose root and eng_boot by flashing the stock boot.img in flashfire. The point is to have the U firmware without root on a b5/6 Sprint S7/Edge.

Maybe it would work if you flash the eng_boot again and disable, but then you are stuck on the eng_boot. Plus it messes with Knox, so I'm not sure if something like SABS or Adhell would even work.
7th August 2018, 04:40 PM |#7  
elesbb's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 5,336
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvpre

The version used by GSMZambia includes a boot.img file, which removes the eng_boot and root after a factory reset. It sounds like you are actually still b4 for everything. This version is for people on b5/6 and want to install the U firmware. However, you are correct about disabling those packages when rooting on the U firmware. You lose root and eng_boot by flashing the stock boot.img in flashfire. The point is to have the U firmware without root on a b5/6 Sprint S7/Edge.

Maybe it would work if you flash the eng_boot again and disable, but then you are stuck on the eng_boot. Plus it messes with Knox, so I'm not sure if something like SABS or Adhell would even work.

But from what I read in the original post is that BEFORE using flashfire to flash the original boot.img, you are running the eng_boot.img. Is this correct? Btw, flashfire NEEDS root. So you ARE rooted at some point. Therefore, this is why you are being kicked from the network. Thus, disabling those packages will prevent that. But SABS and Adhell no longer work, at least I couldn't get them to. I even paid for the one and used it once. So I'm a bit annoyed with that. But yes, I am still on binary 4 for the BL. It was a requirement when purchasing my phone on Craigslist xD

But, what you are after may not be feasible. This is what you want: 100% U firmware on Sprint Binary > 4 WITHOUT eng_boot?
I always thought the whole point of being on U firmware was for root access though. But anyhow, once you get the U firmware flashed, which BL version is on the device? Is this an exploit that allows for older Binary to be flashed?

I'm intrigued by this method for other reasons. I would really REALLY love for a custom boot.img to be allowed but you can't. If this method is a way to block checking of BL, AP, etc hash checks, then the similar method should be possible for a custom recovery and custom kernel. I miss my kernel.
7th August 2018, 06:30 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 407
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by elesbb

But from what I read in the original post is that BEFORE using flashfire to flash the original boot.img, you are running the eng_boot.img. Is this correct? Btw, flashfire NEEDS root. So you ARE rooted at some point. Therefore, this is why you are being kicked from the network. Thus, disabling those packages will prevent that. But SABS and Adhell no longer work, at least I couldn't get them to. I even paid for the one and used it once. So I'm a bit annoyed with that. But yes, I am still on binary 4 for the BL. It was a requirement when purchasing my phone on Craigslist xD.

AdHell 3 still works on Nougat at least. You have to get the newer version because Samsung changed their SDK keys program. I'm not on Oreo, so I'm not sure if it will work. But if you are rooted, you have better options. If you need the new version of AdHell3, I'll post a link.

Quote:

But, what you are after may not be feasible. This is what you want: 100% U firmware on Sprint Binary > 4 WITHOUT eng_boot?

Basically, when you finish. You'll have the U firmware on the phone, but the BL with still be 5/6. So some things like Knox, System Updates, etc..won't work because of the conflict and will say the phone has been compromised. Also, the phone doesn't bootloop because of those items you need to disable, because you did it before using flashfire.
It works fine after applying the changes after rooting, but it is after the flashfire flash and factory reset that doesn't. Modem you can flash, but the CSC files mostly get erased because parts of them are install to the system with the rom. When you check, the phone has no CSC setup available. Which is why it probably displays Korean carrier settings since that is the default with CSC files present.

Quote:

I always thought the whole point of being on U firmware was for root access though. But anyhow, once you get the U firmware flashed, which BL version is on the device? Is this an exploit that allows for older Binary to be flashed? .

The original point of U firmware was to get rid of carrier bloatware and the ability to use most carriers easily with most addons (VoLTE) available.

Quote:

I'm intrigued by this method for other reasons. I would really REALLY love for a custom boot.img to be allowed but you can't. If this method is a way to block checking of BL, AP, etc hash checks, then the similar method should be possible for a custom recovery and custom kernel. I miss my kernel.

So in conclusion, you have the U4 firmware running on a Sprint S7 with b5/6 installed without root. Since the phone runs fine with the U firmware, something is causing connection issues to Sprint. I assume he is in Africa (Zambia) and by using a GSM only sim card, it will work.

Unless you want to upgrade to b5/6 and try it, that's probably the only true way to test it. Plus, who wants to be on b4 anyway?
7th August 2018, 07:22 PM |#9  
elesbb's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 5,336
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvpre

AdHell 3 still works on Nougat at least. You have to get the newer version because Samsung changed their SDK keys program. I'm not on Oreo, so I'm not sure if it will work. But if you are rooted, you have better options. If you need the new version of AdHell3, I'll post a link.

Yeah I am currently rooted with the U firmware BL4. I want to upgrade to Oreo, hoping for performance improvements, better battery, etc. But I guess since the Oreo U firmware is still BL4, I can just downgrade if I can't get root back.



Quote:

Basically, when you finish. You'll have the U firmware on the phone, but the BL with still be 5/6. So some things like Knox, System Updates, etc..won't work because of the conflict and will say the phone has been compromised. Also, the phone doesn't bootloop because of those items you need to disable, because you did it before using flashfire.

I never mentioned a bootloop? Is this about something else? The point I am trying to address is the loss of Sprint connectivity after flashing eng boot. This is because of the packages that need to be disabled.

Quote:

It works fine after applying the changes after rooting, but it is after the flashfire flash and factory reset that doesn't. Modem you can flash, but the CSC files mostly get erased because parts of them are install to the system with the rom. When you check, the phone has no CSC setup available. Which is why it probably displays Korean carrier settings since that is the default with CSC files present.

So you flash everything, eng boot, and are currently rooted. You then flash the provided file via flash fire, factory reset, and now you no longer are able to connect to Sprint network? When you say "can't connect to Sprint network", are you referring to data or to Sprint network entirely? If you go under your "about phone" section, what does your IMEI and phone number display? Don't actually type it here, but it should be something comprehensible. It shouldn't say "unknown" or a bunch of zeros, etc. [/quote]


Quote:

The original point of U firmware was to get rid of carrier bloatware and the ability to use most carriers easily with most addons (VoLTE) available.

True..


Quote:

So in conclusion, you have the U4 firmware running on a Sprint S7 with b5/6 installed without root. Since the phone runs fine with the U firmware, something is causing connection issues to Sprint. I assume he is in Africa (Zambia) and by using a GSM only sim card, it will work.

Unless you want to upgrade to b5/6 and try it, that's probably the only true way to test it. Plus, who wants to be on b4 anyway?

I do. A lot of people want to be back to BL4. There is NO difference in the newer bootloaders EXCEPT a special "key" type of thing that prevents downgrading. That is the only thing different. This is why the U firmware is still on BL4 despite having an Oreo update. Sprint changes the BL version just so people like us have extra hurdles to overcome when we want something different. Its very stupid tbh.

But, I would like to help you guys out, however, I AM NOT upgrading to the BL5/6. Noway nohow.
8th August 2018, 02:25 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 407
 
More
It actually shows a crossed out circle for the signal strength in the status bar. I'm pretty sure I tried it by flashing just the system and system with boot, which removes the root. Even entering apn info had slight issues.

I was hoping someone with more knowledge and a b5\6 phone would give this a whirl. If you get bored, maybe it would be like you flashing the U firmware with b2.

My wife's phone is still b4, so at least one of us didn't get the Sprint screw.
8th August 2018, 03:12 AM |#11  
elesbb's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 5,336
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvpre

It actually shows a crossed out circle for the signal strength in the status bar. I'm pretty sure I tried it by flashing just the system and system with boot, which removes the root. Even entering apn info had slight issues.

I was hoping someone with more knowledge and a b5\6 phone would give this a whirl. If you get bored, maybe it would be like you flashing the U firmware with b2.

My wife's phone is still b4, so at least one of us didn't get the Sprint screw.

Hmm. That's weird. What does your about phone section say for IMEI and phone number? Everything good? I wonder if something is affecting the PRL. Try updating that via settings menu before you flash the firmware and factory reset. The CSC shouldn't really affect that part. I have changed mine multiple times to just eff around and see what/if anything changed. Its more for the phone to know what menu options are available and such. For instance, call recording shows up when its not a US branded carrier.

Sadly I will never flash the newer BL. But I will definitely keep trying via the thread and if you would like to discord or something similar I would be down. School starts in about 2 weeks so I'm basically free till then
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes