Update 10/25/2016: Attached at the end of this thread is a modified debloat script for knox removal and a few other apps. This will make your root experience a heck of a lot smoother than before. Just flash the zip using FlashFire without changing any settings. You may notice a reboot or two. There are few bloatware apps that will still be there (amazon shopping, amazon videos, amazon photos, etc) that you'll have to remove manually. Happy flashing and don't forget to hit that Thanks button down below!
- This root method is NOT for beginners. It is NOT easy. If you don't get it then DON'T do it. Especially if you're worried about voiding the warranty and blah blah blah. Simply put, don't do it if you don't have the slightest idea of what you're doing. I'm tired of complaints. This guide is not for the faint of heart. Do this at your own risk!
- Package Disabler Pro is required to get this rooting method working. Yes, it costs money ($.99) but it's the way I acheived this work around at the moment.
- Be prepared to lose data (LTE) connection but don't be scared as it's an easy fix.
- Make sure you don't have Secure startup set up before you start the process. Having this set up causes issues.
- Must have ADB set up and installed system-wide.
- This root method should be used with PE1 firmware for both the GS7 and the GS7 Edge. Although this root method might work with the latest firmware, users have been reporting issues dealing with APN's on the newest update. Look at post 2 FAQ's returning to stock for flashing PE1 firmware through Odin.
- Do not update to PJ2 if you want to keep service with your root. Phone calls and text messages won't come through after rooting on PJ2.
Files you will need:
- Odin by Princecomsy: http://devhost.xda-developers.com/gsDA
- G935A: http://devhost.xda-developers.com/kDWz (S7 Edge)
- G930A: http://devhost.xda-developers.com/o3hm (S7)
- SuperSU: https://download.chainfire.eu/970/Su...v2.76-S7QC.zip
Here we go:
- After downloading and getting set up Package Disabler Pro, you'll need to disable the following three packages:
- samsung dm phone interface
- samsung dm service
Use the search box to easily find these packages.
- Power off your device and boot into download/bootloader mode by pressing and holding the volume down, home, and the power button. Press volume up to get into bootloader.
- Open PrinceComsy odin and flash the engineer boot.img by clicking AP and navigating to the file for your model. Click start and your device should reboot by itself.
- Enable developer options by going to Settings>About Device and tapping Build Number till it shows Developer mode has been turned on. You will now have Developer options under the settings menu.
- Enable USB debugging in the Developer options settings.
- Extract the SuperSU zip and run the root.bat file. Your phone will reboot if the script is successfully ran.
- Next, we'll get LTE data back:
- Method A: BuildProp Editor (easiest method)
Open Build.Prop with BuildProp Editor and change the following settings:
ro.cdma.default_numeric=310000 to 310120
ro.cdma.default_alpha=Chameleon to Sprint
ro.build.characteristics=Chameleon to Sprint
Make sure you grant root permissions when it asks. You may have to try this twice. Reboot and LTE should stick.
- Method B: Manual activation (also if you're not able to make any calls)
Enable the three packages disabled in step 1. Go into the phone dialer and type in ##72786# and your phone should reboot and begin the activation process. After the 5th retry, it will manually activate itself. It should say "writing to device". Don't click done yet. Press the home button and disable the three packages once again. Reboot.
Alternatively, after renabling the three packages and dialing ##72786#, you can go into Settings>Activate this device and manually try to activate it yourself. It still must say "writing to device". Don't click done. Disable the packages once again. Reboot. Voice and LTE should stick.
- Method A: BuildProp Editor (easiest method)
- Download S7_or_S7Edge_Fixes_V15.zip to your internal or external storage and install install FlashFire from the playstore.
- Open FlashFire and let it acquire root access. Click the + button at the bottom right corner then click on Flash ZIP or OTA. Navigate and select the S7_or_S7Edge_Fixes_V15.zip. file. Leave the options alone and click the check in the top right. Scroll down to the bottom and click flash. Your phone will reboot and flash the zip. This can take a while.
- Go to Settings>Lock screen and security>Other security settings>Security policy updates and turn off "Automatic updates" and "Wi-Fi only". Reboot. This seems to be the culprit of the 7 day soft brick.
- Open back up Package Disabler Pro and search for "software update". Disable both packages (com.sec.android.soagent and com.wssyncmldm)
- Enjoy your rooted device with minimal to almost no lag.
As always, be sure to donate to the people who actually helped achieved root: @Princecosmy, @br3w3r, and @Chainfire
For the bounty donate to [email protected] PayPal
Shout out to @psouza4, @izzibew26, @mhill1986, @LeftyGR, @Soooperstar, and to all of you who are contributing in making this root method easier everyday. Thanks for the feedback.
Originally, it started getting interesting at post #185:
I'm also keeping track of the Sprint Galaxy S7 Edge (SM-G935P) version: