FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Am I the only one?

1,297 posts
Thanks Meter: 267
 
By sauprankul, Senior Member on 23rd December 2014, 07:03 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Who noticed how much more battery life we used to get on Sense 5.0 4.3?

Seriously, with KitKat, I can only get about 3.5/15 at best.

But I was looking through some older ROM and kernel threads, and people were getting insane numbers like 6/24.

I decided to revert to a 4.3 ROM, Sense 5.5, but no dice. According to GSam, "Android System" and "Kernel" were still using ~20% of my battery.

My mother's One, I noticed, doesn't have that drain, and uses a sense 5 ROM, so I went back even further.

Now, I can definitely see an increase in battery life, with Android System and Kernel using ~8% of battery. It goes even lower during standby.

I know the International guys don't have this problem, they still get insane numbers on KitKat.

So, does anyone else want to see if their battery life is better on JB?
Or is everyone here OK with about half the battery life they used to get?

The Following User Says Thank You to sauprankul For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sauprankul Ad-Free
23rd December 2014, 09:13 PM |#2  
coal686's Avatar
Moderator Committee - lim( trolls + Hammer, trolls,∞) = 0
Flag Tampa-ish, FL
Thanks Meter: 18,992
 
More
I usually get through at least a day even under the worst Sprint network signal, so I'm good for my personal use case. Great signal from Sprint I get two days, poor signal I get one. As far as I know, the reason international gets better battery life is due to the GSM radio. CDMA phones use more battery than GSM - especially Sprint phones since they work harder to get poor signal.

But, I look forward to hearing your results.
2nd January 2015, 08:58 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 267
 
More
OK, so I'm not done with my experiment yet, but so far, the results look good, which is a bad thing.

Sure, I wasn't able to get the insane 6/24, but I saw a DEFINITE increase in battery life from what I was experiencing before. Here are some screenshots from stock JB Sense 5 3.05.651.6, with Silence Kernel:

Here are the results:



Here is what I got when this was a new update (a really long time ago), bone stock:

Here is what inspired me to try this, credit goes to @THADDIUS25 (PM me if you want me to take this down)



I am currently running a Sense 6 ROM with Xceed NPR. I'll post my results from that soon.
After that, I'll be trying CM11. I wonder if there are any good kernels for it?
The Following User Says Thank You to sauprankul For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sauprankul Ad-Free
3rd January 2015, 12:10 AM |#4  
THADDIUS25's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag SELMA
Thanks Meter: 273
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sauprankul

OK, so I'm not done with my experiment yet, but so far, the results look good, which is a bad thing.

Sure, I wasn't able to get the insane 6/24, but I saw a DEFINITE increase in battery life from what I was experiencing before. Here are some screenshots from stock JB Sense 5 3.05.651.6, with Silence Kernel:

Here are the results:


Here is what I got when this was a new update (a really long time ago), bone stock:

Here is what inspired me to try this, credit goes to @THADDIUS25 (PM me if you want me to take this down)



I am currently running a Sense 6 ROM with Xceed NPR. I'll post my results from that soon.
After that, I'll be trying CM11. I wonder if there are any good kernels for it?

I don't mind at all bro you can leave it up. I still do get good battery life on kk but not like on jb.
3rd January 2015, 12:23 AM |#5  
E-TARD_The_LifeCaster's Avatar
Junior Member
Flag Mountain View, California
Thanks Meter: 2
 
Donate to Me
More
Battery Full mophie case
Sounds like you need a mophie case.
my mom is bad about turning off things she does not need on like WiFi & ends up killing her battery
so she got the mophie case for her HTC one M7, the case comes with a battery in it.
maybe that could help you.
3rd January 2015, 12:55 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 267
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-TARD_The_LifeCaster

Sounds like you need a mophie case.
my mom is bad about turning off things she does not need on like WiFi & ends up killing her battery
so she got the mophie case for her HTC one M7, the case comes with a battery in it.
maybe that could help you.

My problem isn't that the battery life is bad (OK it kinda sorta is compared to the stuff today), but that it got worse for us when it stayed the same for the International guys. They're still pulling like 6 hours SOTs. Obviously Sprint users shouldn't expect to match international, but we should at least expect to not go down. I'm experimenting with different S6 ROMs and kernels now, hoping that I can at least match what I got on JB.

And I would rather have GS2 era battery life than get a mophie.
3rd January 2015, 02:15 AM |#7  
E-TARD_The_LifeCaster's Avatar
Junior Member
Flag Mountain View, California
Thanks Meter: 2
 
Donate to Me
More
Battery Low
Quote:
Originally Posted by sauprankul

My problem isn't that the battery life is bad (OK it kinda sorta is compared to the stuff today), but that it got worse for us when it stayed the same for the International guys. They're still pulling like 6 hours SOTs. Obviously Sprint users shouldn't expect to match international, but we should at least expect to not go down. I'm experimenting with different S6 ROMs and kernels now, hoping that I can at least match what I got on JB.

And I would rather have GS2 era battery life than get a mophie.

sounds to me HTC one is not the phone for you
I have had my Sprint HTC one M7 for some time now running stock & rooted/unlocked etc...
& the last update I got, it did seem like the battery was dyeing a little bit faster when the phone was doing nothing at all.
3rd January 2015, 02:28 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 267
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-TARD_The_LifeCaster

sounds to me HTC one is not the phone for you
I have had my Sprint HTC one M7 for some time now running stock & rooted/unlocked etc...
& the last update I got, it did seem like the battery was dyeing a little bit faster when the phone was doing nothing at all.

Um dude. What.

I just said I don't have a problem with this phone. I got this phone when it first came out and plan to use it until it blows up or I blow up, whichever comes first.

I'm just saying that battery life was better on JB, and that's unexpected.
6th January 2015, 09:52 AM |#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 291
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sauprankul

Um dude. What.

I just said I don't have a problem with this phone. I got this phone when it first came out and plan to use it until it blows up or I blow up, whichever comes first.

I'm just saying that battery life was better on JB, and that's unexpected.

I current don't have any battery screenshot during the preKK updates but it does feel like my SOT has dropped but not crazy amounts of time. At most I was able to hit 4 hrs and now its around 3:40 or so, but that just might be from fatigue or some other reason. With the new sensors in our devices, I'm not sure if all the old Roms are still functional on our phones so it might not be a option for us so we will have to wait and see what the L update brings to us in a few days.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes