[LS990] ZVB/ZVC Root Method + ZVB Rooted Stock Rom

Search This thread

cityneversleepz

Feb 7, 2011
Dallas, TX
www.sunqifitness.com
I installed the LG-LS990ZVB-Flashable.System.Boot and it worked great, but the WI-FI keeps dropping off. I go to settings, WI-FI it says its disabled, I click connect and it comes right up, for a short time.

Thanks for any help..
Are you using this G3 for your daily driver or for a media/ wifi device? I just got one from a friend that didn't want it anymore. It's just a good media device for me; casting vanced youtube and dish anywhere app to smart tv, watching anything that can cast to chromecast or Roku. I took the sim card out and put it in airplane mode. That solved the wifi dropping issue on the stock ZVI rooted version. I'm about to find TWRP and flash it and then look for something more up to date. Thanks OP. the steps worked perfectly on ZVI

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Another fine TEAM CODEFIRE release :victory:

This thread is for:
    A. Those with TWRP already installed but wish to update their rom to stock pre-rooted ZVB.
    B. Those on stock unmodified LS990 ZVB/ZVC and want root.

METHOD A

Prerequisite: TWRP already installed and working.

1. Click and download the pre-rooted stock ZVB and modem zips below and place them on internal or external sdcard.
    2. Flash zip from step #1 in TWRP (while in twrp.. Install > select zvb rom > swipe slider to confirm and flash)
    3. Reboot out of TWRP and back into system. Finished.

If TWRP says "no OS" (after step #3) just ignore and continue with the reboot.
    If phone hangs at bootup (after step #3) for more than 5 minutes you may have to boot into TWRP and do a factory reset.
    Unplug phone from USB cable > pull battery then put battery back in > hold volume down + power to boot into TWRP > select "Wipe" > swipe slider to confirm.

DOWNLOAD FLASHABLE ZIPS HERE
    You will see 2 zip files... one containing system/boot and the other containing modem/rpm/tz. I'd suggest flashing both zips... but some people may not want to update modem which is why I split them into 2 zips.

METHOD B

Prerequisite: USB Debugging enabled, Windows computer, LG USB drivers installed and reading comprehension. Have a mac or linux?... use a virtual machine.

USB drivers - CLICK HERE to download

There is no need to pack this into a 1-click bat file. It's a few simple commands... all laid out for you step-by-step below. 1-click roots can fail... but doing everything manually and properly should have a 100% success rate. Plus you're seeing how the entire process works and maybe learning a thing or two. Don't be a lazy 1-click zombie.. this is XDA not androidcentral.

Thanks to:
    blog.lvu.kr for the Send_Command.exe - LINK HERE
    Unjustified Dev for his original English Guide - LINK HERE
    l33tlinuxh4x0r for his idea on swapping the old LAF partition - LINK HERE
    thecubed, IllegalArgument (the other members of TEAM CODEFIRE) and jcase for the LG G4 root - LINK HERE

Me, myself and I have have taken all of the above ideas and formed 'em like Voltron to bring root to the the latest LS990 updates (ZVB/C). I have written the directions below so that any n00b who can read should be able to follow along. For those that know what you're doing already... the main thing to pay attention to are the commands themselves.

1. Download THIS ZIP FILE HERE. Unzip it on your windows computer. Location of folder is not important.. just make sure you know where to find it.

2. Open the folder you just unzipped and inside should be a bunch of loose files. Hold the "Shift" key then right-click someone in the folder and select "Open command window here". A command prompt window should open.

If confused, CLICK HERE for a link with a more detailed explanation.

3. While phone is booted up normally (and usb debugging enabled).. click on the command prompt window then type: "adb devices" without the quotes and hit enter/return. You should see your phone listed in the output.

If no device is found.. make sure USB Debugging is enabled - CLICK HERE
    If output says "Device Offline" check your phone's screen.. you may still have to accept the RSA prompt. Check the box then hit OK. CLICK HERE for example.

4. Once you see your phone listed after "adb devices" command it's time to begin... copy the entire command below and paste it into the command prompt windows (right-click > paste.. not control + v) then hit enter/return to send the command. Be sure to copy the ENTIRE command below.. it's a long one. Command may take 10-15 seconds to complete.
    Code:
    adb.exe push busybox /data/local/tmp/ && adb.exe push lg_root.sh /data/local/tmp/ && adb.exe push UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip /data/local/tmp/ && adb.exe push lafzv6.img /sdcard/

5. Reboot into Download Mode. There are multiple ways to do this.. but since you already have the command prompt windows open and adb connected simply type the following command into command prompt then hit enter/return. AS SOON as you hit enter/return hold he volume up button on your phone. Might be easier to have the phone in your hand ready to press volume up before hitting enter/return. When the phone reboots you should be in Download Mode.
    Code:
     adb reboot

6. Once in Download Mode (Should say Firmware Update on phone screen) find out the COM port your phone is using. LG drivers must be installed for COM port to show up. Easiest way to find your COM port number... double-click the "ports.bat" file from the zip you extracted in step #1. You want to make note of the COM port # next to "LGANDNETDIAG1". For example - on my computer it said \Device\LGANDNETDIAG1 REG_SZ COM4... so my COM port would be COM4. Make sure you use YOUR COM port #. It could be any number.

7. You may have 2 command prompt windows open... click on the first one you opened.. the window you opened in step #2. Copy/paste the following command to enter into the "Download Mode Shell" then hit enter/return... remember to substitute the COM port number with YOUR OWN COM #
    Code:
    Send_Command.exe \\.\COM4
    You should now see the following output in your command prompt window...
    Author : blog.lvu.kr
    SPECIAL COMMAND : ENTER, LEAVE

#

This confirms you're in "Download Mode Shell". Now type "id" without quotes then hit enter/return and you should see the following output...
    uid=0(root) gid=0(root) context=u:r:kernel:s0.. which will confirm that you are now successfully talking to your phone. Continue on to step #8.

If the "id" command just sits there hanging... or you just get a # as a response you are NOT talking to your phone. To fix this... hit ctrl + c which will exit the "Download Mode Shell". Redo step #7.. resending the "Send_Command" command... then once you are back in the "Download Mode Shell" type "id" without quotes then hit enter/return again... this time you should see uid=0(root) gid=0(root) context=u:r:kernel:s0
    If you still do not see uid=0(root) gid=0(root) context=u:r:kernel:s0 after trying a seconds time it is possible you are using the wrong COM port number.

8. Now it's time to backup your current LAF partition then write the older ZV6 LAF to the phone. This step uses some of the G4 root tricks to bypass the latest root method blocks from LG and allows us to then use the older root method since you'll end up with an older ZV6 LAF partition. Copy/paste the following command into the command prompt window then hit enter/return...
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0 bs=8192 skip=24576 count=4096 of=/data/media/0/lafOG.img

In a second or two you should see # on the next line... which means the command you just sent has finished. Current LAF is now backed up. Now you need to write the older ZV6 LAF to the phone. It's already on your internal SD card (you did this in step #4). Copy/paste the following command into command prompt then hit enter/return.
    Code:
    dd if=/data/media/0/lafzv6.img bs=8192 seek=24576 count=4096 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0

In a second or two you should see # on the next line... which means the command you just sent has finished. Now you need your phone to exit download mode... boot up.. then reboot back into Download Mode. This process loads the ZV6 download mode you just flashed. In the command prompt window type the following command then hit enter/return (be sure to use all caps!)...
    Code:
    LEAVE
    This will reboot your phone. Now you need to reboot into Download Mode again... type the following command in command prompt then hit enter/return...
    Code:
    adb reboot
    And again.. as soon as you send the command hold the phone's volume up button so that you reboot into Download Mode. You may see a error on the screen... ignore.. a few seconds later it should show the Firmware Update screen. Time to move on to step #9...

9. Once in Download Mode you need to send the "Send_Command" command you used in step #7.. COM port # should still be the same. Remember the following command is just an example.. you MUST use your own COM port #. Copy/paste the command below.. enter your own COM port number then hit enter/return..
    Code:
    Send_Command.exe \\.\COM4
    And again you should see the following output..
    Author : blog.lvu.kr
    SPECIAL COMMAND : ENTER, LEAVE

#

And just like in step #7 you need to confirm you're able to talk to your phone... type "id" without the quotes then hit enter/return. You should see uid=0(root) gid=0(root) context=u:r:kernel:s0 if it worked. When you get the uid=0(root) gid=0(root) context=u:r:kernel:s0 output it's time to move to the final step... #10.

If the "id" command just sits there hanging... or you just get a # as a response you are NOT talking to your phone. To fix this... hit ctrl + c which will exit the "Download Mode Shell". Redo step #9.. resending the "Send_Command" command... then once you are back in the "Download Mode Shell" type "id" without quotes then hit enter/return again... this time you should see uid=0(root) gid=0(root) context=u:r:kernel:s0

10. Copy/paste the following command then hit enter/return. This command flashes the supersu zip and is what is putting root into ZVB (or whichever sw version you're using). Make sure you copy the ENTIRE command. Command will take 15-20 seconds after sending before you start seeing anything happen.
    Code:
    sh /data/local/tmp/lg_root.sh dummy 1 /data/local/tmp/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip /data/local/tmp/busybox

You should see some output from the zip flashing. when the output stops and you get the # it has finished. You should now have root.

BUT before you exit Download Mode, we should put back the original LAF [unless you plan on installing TWRP(with autorec for example).. then you can leave it skip the restoring LAF command. If you ONLY want a rooted rom and do NOT want TWRP I suggest you run the command]

To restore LAF copy/paste the following command then hit enter/return...
    Code:
    dd if=/data/media/0/lafOG.img bs=8192 seek=24576 count=4096 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0

When that finishes and you see the # you are all done! Type the following command (all caps!) then hit enter/return to exit Download Mode and boot into your rooted rom..
    Code:
    LEAVE

10 easy steps.. that wasn't bad was it? :p

The only way the above steps won't work is if you skipped/missed a step or didn't follow along properly.
    This isn't a race... take your time and understand what's going on.
    It take's me about 2 minutes to do this myself. But reading everything and learning the first time maybe takes... 10 minutes... yes, a whole 10 minutes! :rolleyes:

Example of command prompt (click to enlarge)

Enjoy your freedom! :cool:

Donations are cool.. but never expected. But at least hit that thanks button if this thread helped you root. :good:
    ZV4/6 rpm,tz partitions
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=95916177934529082

Just in case the ZVB ones cause us issues also.
    reserved to be annoying
    ahh woops.. I typo'd and put bootZVB instead of bootZVB.img. Uploading corrected zip now. I put the zip together after I wrote up the root method.. guess my eyes were tired. Thanks for pointing out the error @engine95 . I'll pull the file now.. when you guys see it return.. it'll be the fixed one.. prob 30min.

fixed zip is up. everything should be perfect now.
    i expect nothing but praise for the remainder of this threads lifespan ;)
    lol
    Thanks. downloading now. Dont be mad at me but I put the new zip on my sdcard, flash in twrp, and then flash the modem zip as well correct?

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 PM ----------

is it safe to flash the modem zip as well?
    Yes to your first question. But...
    Herein lies a possible issue for us.

If you rooted from ZV4, then I would remove the rpm, tz partitions and then flash it.

If you rooted ZV8, then you probably want the rpm, tz partitions.

I'm still on the ZV4 bootloader so I can't say what to do if your on fully rooted ZV8. Most of us are still on, or are using ZV4 bootloader.