4G But No Texts/Calls FIX

Search This thread

HTC4Life007

Oct 29, 2019
Sunday evening, I went through HELL fixing my phone. Once I realized a text wouldn't go through, I tried the data and calling. Only data worked. I've rooted my phones since the Evo 4G and never had this issue before. I called Sprint at 3:30pm, spent an hr which got me nowhere and actually made it worse. She told me to do the ##72786# which shows the MDN and MSID. I've done this in the past for activation sake on previous phones, on the M9 it doesn't allow you to manually change the values which was a major problem. Once i did the reset, both values were the same and incorrect. At this point I was like OH SHIIT, cause I just realized you can't manually input the values. And because those values have to be your number, I knew was screwed...after the restart I lost my LTE as well since Sprint didn't know this was my phone due to no MDN/MSID values. I thought for sure I would have to do a new fresh install which I did NOT want to do as everything with the phone was perfect and a fresh install takes a looot of time to backup everything, reinstall, make sure settings and everything are like before. I told her to activate my S7 and reactivate the M9 to see if that did the trick to force the M9 into hands free activation and push through the MDN/MSID. I wasn't hopeful at all since I activated the M9 BEFORE I rooted it just to be sure and also cause I bought it off ebay so had to make sure all way well.

Once i got off the phone, I started searching on google/xda for a solution. It's quite a specific issue and similar ones were sparse and had a range of reasons for the issue. Mind you, all was well before this, it's basically the stock Venom rom, no major tweaking and this issue just randomly appeared for no apparent reason. I never used Titanium Backup up to this point(1 yr using the phone) or any Rom backups so I was like, might as well since I'm gonna have to start flashing to see if it fixes it. First I flashed the venom rom to see if a fresh flash did the trick...possibly the clean install requests MDN/MSID from Sprint to get the phone working. Didn't fix it. Next, I flashed the stock rooted rom which thankfully I saved when I first rooted the phone. Phone booted up, BINGO! Instant 4g connection. Phew, thank God. Then, I flashed venom again but with a full wipe to see if the stock install carried the MDN/MSID over, didn't fix it. I was so pisssed cause at this point I knew I was screwed.

Mind you, backing up/flashing and at the same time searching and trouble shooting is VERY time consuming! A fresh flash/boot alone takes maybe 10 min. I was also doing some extensive searching for the best SMS/MMS backup out there as I always keep my text records(which I'm making another thread to discuss). It's almost midnight and im PISSSED. My entire Sunday evening wasted and a random stupid problem on my phone that came out of the blue for NO reason. I'm guessing Sprint did some network update and the phone need a Profile/PRL update which it couldnt get. Not sure how that works.

I can't find the thread it was mentioned in, and I searched MANY, but someone mentioned the Sprint PRL patch(for a different issue) in Venom Hub. I didn't think that would do anything as that's preferred roaming list. I had nothing to lose and it was a Sprint specific patch so I tried it. I never used Venom Hub as I mentioned the phone is pretty much stock venom so I didn't know it was there. Prior to this I checked Venom tweaks, nothing of course. Phone restarts, still no data. I go to the settings mainly to see "phone information" and what do you know, "System Updates" is there. I click Update Profile, phone restarts, and BAM we are back online! You have no idea how happy I was! Was able to keep my phone as it was with no wipe/fresh start!
I don't know why software updates was removed in the first place! That's why I NEVER had this issue or data/call/text issues on previous phones, as I would periodically do a Profile/PRL update for good measure. Any1 know why it was removed?!? This is a vital feature to have on the phone! Mind you I never had issues, but you have no other options once you do run into an issue like this other than to do the Profile update. I don't see why they removed it, it's not bothering anything or taking up space/resources/etc. To my understanding from prior phones and years of rooting, it's standard procedure to do Profile/PRL updates from time to time to "sync/update" the phone when network/tower updates are done with Sprint.

I know this post is looong, but I literally spent from 3:30pm to 1:30am this Sunday talking to Sprint, flashing, backing up, researching. I was beyond pissed as the hrs went by with no solution on hand(I did NOT want to start fresh). This is my first post ever and my first time becoming a member for this reason. This issue is rare as I never, ever had an issue like this, but if any1 else out there runs into it, I hope they find this thread!

Last edited: