Do I understand this correctly, that I can't 'dirty update' the base? Do I really always have to do a factory reset when going from one base firmware to the next?How to ROOT & TWRP and How to Update Base
Root S908B/E/N/0 without TWRP
Root S908B/E/N/0 + TWRP + How to update/Install base firmware
- Unlock bootloader
- You needs to download stock firmware (You can get stock firmware with Frija) and extract AP*.tar.md5 file and patch with magisk. Flash patched file with AP tab of Odin
- Reboot to recovery and select to format data (Factory reset option on stock recovery)
- Reboot device → You will see Magisk stub in drawer → Update it. (In case stub not there, Donload magisk app from Download area and intall manually) → Open Magisk - It will ask to complete additionl setup, Let it do. → Reboot device. You are now ready to Intall Dr.Ketan ROM module. Move to next step.
You can get ready to use root files from download area OR you can get from TWRP threa (link below)
PS : If you are on any other TWRP or Stock recovery, you must FORMAT DATA (That requires to type 'Yes' to confrm wipe)
- Download latest firmware as per pre-requisite
- Disable Auto Reboot option in Odin
- Select appropriate slot in Odin for BL,AP,CP and CSC (Using HOME_CSC will keep data, while using CSC* will format data) from stock firmware
- Select TWRP file for USEDATA slot
- When Flashing completes, disconnect device and starightway reboot to TWRP
- Run multidisabler from TWRP - Advanced - Terminal - and type : multidisabler (it may take few minutes, keep patience)
- Wipe Data (If you are already using Afaneh92's TWRP and used multidisabler + Format data, you can select to Factory Reset too (This will preserve media file) OR you can skip wipe option at all in case you want dirty Install.)
- Reboot to TWRP In case you have wiped data.
- Copy Kernel & Magisk zip to device (Alternatively use USB storage)
- Install kernel (Flash Kernel zip from TWRP)
- Flash Magisk
- Reboot & Update Magisk from stub OR Install Magisk apk
- Open Magisk app and complete setup if it asked for
Now ready to install Dr.Ketan Module, Follow XDA ROM Changelog post to install ROM Module
Thanks & Credit to Afaneh92 for TWRP & Kernel, below are link for OP Exynos SnapDragon
PS : For detailed instructions about Magisk installation (root) read here. In case still you have question, move to Question forum of S22 section and ask for help. This thread is development thread and any questions related to how to root will be ignored.
You can. search "dirty" in msg you quoted, it's explained there.
It requires 200MB data to download and time requires depend on your internet speed.
The internet in my country, Iraq, is only 1MB during the night
Is there a way to pre download the ROM before my s22 ultra arrives? The app just auto closes on my other phone. I was hoping to have everything ready for when my 22 gets here.
No, I don't have any such plan to release such file for post usage. It's just 200 Mb and normal good speed simply takes few minutes only.
OK, I have a double checked confirmation: S908B/DS is Exynos processor.
It's not a problem only with you but new security on S22, now system partition is read only even after rooting device.
You can't. S22 have introduced system with f2fs partition with system read only. You can't edit any system files
How to report bugs/Issue?
To report issue, you needs to provide following informations, else it will be ignored. Also if your query is already mentioned on OP/ChangeLogg post, it will be ignored.
1.ROM build number.
2.Dirty/Clean Install. - If you have dirty installed, Then first clean install and report if issue persists.
3.Bug/Issue appears right after installing or later?
4.How to reproduce error.
5.Is there any same reports there on thread on your searching?
6.Is there any mention about same bug on OP or changeLog post?
7.Logs - Attach logs here/Upload to other places where it can be downloaded without registration and doesn't have ad (we recommend dropbox/Gdrive) and post link.