• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[05-JAN][FIX] GPS on Gingerbread :)

Search This thread

carlino64

May 19, 2008
Viareggio
I have tried what it has mailed FELON1908 now I see the satellites wherever. Thanks many

I ask excuse are new and I do not understand very l' English. How it makes yourself in order to answer or to make to see the post to which reference is wanted to be made?

Thanks

Last edited:

Henkspitsen

Jan 11, 2011
I try to check my GPS status with 'GPS status' and 'GPS Test Plus' but I couldn't open the apps. I get some errors in dutch.

Also with google Maps the fix doesn't show any sign of a GPS signal.

memin1857

Jun 2, 2010
Istanbul
What is permission 777? I copied the 3 files to the system lib and lib hw, but GPS still does not work...

Man this was explained a lot of times.
777 means ALL PERMISSIONS are enabled.
Meaning:
TAP and HOLD the files you copied and tap permissions. TICK every option available. That is equal to 777. It should look like this: rwxrwxrwx (Read Write eXecute) depending on what file manager you are using.
Make sure gps is enabled in Android and reboot once.

I try to check my GPS status with 'GPS status' and 'GPS Test Plus' but I couldn't open the apps. I get some errors in dutch.

Also with google Maps the fix doesn't show any sign of a GPS signal.

Do as stated above. Make sure your permissions are all enabled.

Last edited:
Reactions: focusneil

carlino64

May 19, 2008
Viareggio

Jimmersd

Jan 10, 2011
The Diem GPS fix works great but can someone explain why I show up to be in deep space? This value for altitude never changes.
d0365336-1e2b-8b70.jpg

Marc

Sent from my HTC HD2 using XDA App

I found this post in the Cyanogen 2.5 Gingerbread thread. I am running iamgpc's [16 JAN] Pure Gingerbread gpc_hd2_gingerbread_v6 rom I have applied your fix and have the same issue.

iamgpc's version uses sensors.goldfish.so instead of bravo. I think that Cyanogen uses bravo.

Any ideas?

Diem

May 26, 2007
I found this post in the Cyanogen 2.5 Gingerbread thread. I am running iamgpc's [16 JAN] Pure Gingerbread gpc_hd2_gingerbread_v6 rom I have applied your fix and have the same issue.

iamgpc's version uses sensors.goldfish.so instead of bravo. I think that Cyanogen uses bravo.

Any ideas?

If using the original files (which the unstable fix) show an more realistic value, you can try to only use the libgps.so. Leave the files in "/system/lib/hw" untouched. Do all iamgpc users have this problem?

Please remember to rename or backup your original files before using the new ones.

regards,
diem

Reactions: Jimmersd

Jimmersd

Jan 10, 2011
If using the original files (which the unstable fix) show an more realistic value, you can try to only use the libgps.so. Leave the files in "/system/lib/hw" untouched. Do all iamgpc users have this problem?

Please remember to rename or backup your original files before using the new ones.

regards,
diem

Okay. I'll give this a try and let you know. So far I haven't heard from any other iamgpc users with this problem. But the thing I have noticed is that there are very few consistant problems here. Some have no problem at all and GPS seems to work without your patch. Others, the patch fixes your problem. And then there are those like me who GPS never worked (even with your patch) on certain builds and does what I just showed you on others. I have tried Cyanogen, iamgpc and tytungs builds to varying degrees of success. Cyanogen never worked, tytung was intermittent (more off than on) and iamgcp was the most stable using GPS.

I am curious whether there are multiple builds of the actual HD2 phone that might be causing compatibility problems with the firmware. It might be something that we could figure out by comparing serial or run number of the phones that are having the problems vs the ones that aren't. It might be an issue with different receiver chips.

Last edited:

mknewman

Dec 8, 2006
Houston, Tx
Since I posted this message I have been using the GPS more and have found that sometimes I do get a reasonable altitude. It seems like this may occur after I've moved around some, so that it can do some differential calculations possibly.

Jimmersd

Jan 10, 2011
Since I posted this message I have been using the GPS more and have found that sometimes I do get a reasonable altitude. It seems like this may occur after I've moved around some, so that it can do some differential calculations possibly.

Hmmmm..... so what you are saying is that there is a learning curve? Really? Can someone confirm this?

Last edited:

memin1857

Jun 2, 2010
Istanbul
Originally Posted by mknewman

Hmmmm..... so what you are saying is that there is a learning curve? Really? Can someone confirm this?

Of course, gps accuracy gets better in time even after the initial fix is made.
A gps fix is the minimum amount of satellites (usually 4, sometimes 3 since earth is also a sphere) locked to get at least some location. The more time passes, more satellites are found and locked so you get better accuracy. (Usually in the best case you would be locked onto about 9 satellites out of 12 visible) Most gps chips have 20 simultaneous channels. In most crowded places in car you may expect to get about 5 satellites.
Discovered satellite info is saved and reused. It changes over time so the less often you use your gps the more time it will need to get more accurate.
Normally A-GPS does help with the sat info by days but in HD2 Android it isn't implemented properly, that is why your gps chip needs to find out by itself and it takes time. AGPS works like this: A gps receiver in a clear sky (on top of a building maybe) gathers sat info and shares this info over the internet. An Assisted-GPS equipped phone uses this information to get by without discovering same satellites again (by waiting at least a minute)
Google location is a little different, it gives you a rough location based on your ip or cell base station. But it is very quick, usually 1-2 seconds is enough. You will get between a few hundred meters to maybe 5km accuracy. With real GPS you would get between 1 meter to 30 meters accuracy. Usually 6-10m.
You WILL get a SLOWER FIX IF:
- You are moving
- You are in a car
- You have tall buildings near you
- Weather is cloudy
- You don't have AGPS capability or internet connection
- You did a cold start

You WILL get a FASTER FIX IF:
- You are outside in very open air
- You are standing still
- You had a lock a small time ago (warm start)
- You have proper AGPS

You can expect in about 1-2 seconds a very rough location based on google servers. (doesn't apply to navigation software)
You can expect in about 15 seconds with proper working agps or a relock.
You can expect in about 60 seconds with no agps, from a cold start.
You may expect in about a few minutes if you are deep into city with a lot of buildings + trees + bad weather + cold start + no a-gps.
Subsequent locks will be faster since gps does a warm start

Most navigation software has compensation algorithm so you feel low accuracy less of a problem. (It auto adjusts to place you inside a road and does not fluctuate rapidly to impossible car movements)

Last edited:

Jimmersd

Jan 10, 2011
Of course, gps accuracy gets better in time even after the initial fix is made.
A gps fix is the minimum amount of satellites (usually 4, sometimes 3 since earth is also a sphere) locked to get at least some location. The more time passes, more satellites are found and locked ......

Thanks for that. I didn't realize that the phone kept a record, in addition to the agps of active sattelites. I assumed that everytime GPS was started whether the phone had been rebooted or not, was like the first time.

Your response needs to be cut from here and reposted on every thread that is having gps problems. Or made a sticky called GPS basics, To get everyone on the same page as it were.

memin1857

Jun 2, 2010
Istanbul
Thanks for that. I didn't realize that the phone kept a record, in addition to the agps of active sattelites. I assumed that everytime GPS was started whether the phone had been rebooted or not, was like the first time.

Your response needs to be cut from here and reposted on every thread that is having gps problems. Or made a sticky called GPS basics, To get everyone on the same page as it were.

I have actually written similar post numerous times over the months but since people don't search it is pointless to do that.
But I am glad it helped you.

Jimmersd

Jan 10, 2011
I have actually written similar post numerous times over the months but since people don't search it is pointless to do that.
But I am glad it helped you.
It's not that people don't search. The problem lies in search terms and the totally inadaquate search function on this site. Also there are so many hits on simple terms like GPS/ Problem /repair/ fix you can wind up with a glut of posts that are harder to wade through than to just read the thread from the begining. Then to make matters worse XDA limits you to one search every 30 seconds. It becomes easier to just ask. Yes you can Google on this site but it is still a hastle.

Again thanks for taking the time.

Spacegoogie

Nov 11, 2010
Seattle
Hey guys im running CM7-EX ver.9 and have tried everthing you guys have said with no luck. I will lock on to 8 to 12 sats but right after that gps never updates again and the gps icon will disaper. Every rom other than a GB rom updates my gps every sec. Im looking in my folders and im seeing 4 files. (no mods to the folders) this is in system/lib/hw sensors.supersonic.so, sensors.goldfish.so, gps.supersonic.so, and gps.goldfish.so. Should all these files be here? I thought I would ask because I read that cm uses .bravo.? I have no bravo files and was thinking that maybe not all those files belong there? Im on an evo, hardware 003. Like I said I have tried everything I have read with no luck. So if someone maybe knows something about the files I listed and could help me out I couldent thank you enough.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys,

just a quick thread to inform you that i have just fixed GPS on Gingerbread in a nightly coding excess. I tested it on CM7 and it works.
    Replace the files in your ROM with the respective ones in this tar archive :)

Download

cheers
    I've been playing with GPS status aswell. With the current roms, you get a fix which is not updated every second and GPS status does not show satelites.

As I was trying to port my own ROM, i had a every second fix and GPS status showing satelites while messing with AdamG's Oxygen v2.0 RC6.

Rafpinga beat me to it by getting Oxygen ported correctly, however using my port files on his build gives me the same results. I'm now able to get a satisfying fix to use with google navigation. It's jumpy here and there but in my opinion way more usable then current GPS status.

Before trying the files attached, Please rename or backup your current files!!
    I have set permission to 777 on all files using Root explorer. Let me know if it works for you!

regards,

ps. I have it working using the files attached (ie gps.htcleo.so). You need to validate if this works for you, or try rename to gps.bravo.so
    converted gps fix to CWM package

For those who use ClockworkMod Recovery, i made a CWM zip file from the normal zip.
    It copys the files with the right filenames and change the permissions to sufficiant ones.

Please be aware, that i am not responsible for an damage on your phone, but for me this fix and this package works awsome! :D

Thanks Diem!
    Great to hear it's working for you guys!
    Ginger with workable GPS feels so much complete :cool:

Regards,
    Diem
    (Thanks to all who clicked the "Thanks button"! :D)
    Step by step gingerbread new real gps fix

1) Download the new files from here:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=10636518&postcount=125
    2) Get RootExplorer app or any file manager with root access support
    3) Copy libgps.so to /system/lib and overwrite the original. Tap and hold it and set the permissions to full 777. Tap R/W on tap if system is R/O (read only)
    4) Copy gps.htcleo.so and sensors.bravo.so to /system/lib/hw. Tap and hold those files and set the permissions to full 777. (IF you have gps.bravo.so file in your build, rename gps.htcleo.so to match it to your build and overwrite)
    5) Reboot, make sure gps is enabled from settings - location OR power control widget before you reboot.
    Go outside, launch a gps app. (gps status, google maps or motonav, navigon sygic etc) and wait for gps fix. It would take between 10 to 60 seconds on average. You should see satellite info in gps status app after gps gets a fix. It should update your location every second. It should no longer reset compass to north every few seconds. Your nav software should be working properly now.

This fixes the gps fix loss/no sat info problem of gauner1986 libs and is provided on page 13 and 14. Check posts from Diem and Baco.
    Now you get satellite info in gingerbread and location is updated every second without resets to north. Don't forget to check file name and permissions.

Alternative way to update the files via ClockWorkMod (CWM)
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=10643150&postcount=137

Note: 777 permission means tap and hold the file in root explorer and tap permissions. check all the available permissions. It should say rwxrwxrwx (which is equal to 777)
    Some builds have different filenames for the same file, rename accordingly, be sure you overwrite the original. (Remember to always backup any file you replace beforehand)

The only remaining issue is, gps status says agps info will be downloaded as soon as there is data connection. But there IS data connection and it used to say, agps info downloaded.

This fix is already included in mdeejays cm7 gingerbread v2.5

(Gauner1986, can you update the first post?)