[05-JAN][FIX] GPS on Gingerbread :)

Search This thread

PattePansen

Jun 25, 2010
Berlin
thats just weird..
i didn't switched to 2.4 because there was no major update there, just updated the kernels..
but it worked gr8!
maybe it worked for you, and you just don't know it?? did you tried to use "GPS Status" from the maket?
go outside and check it... ;)

i tried outside at my dog-round...works outside...
but now after a few yours it cant no satelite...thats realy weird...

error23

Jul 24, 2008
Vienna
why doesn´t this work for me....

hmmm, no matter what i do, i don´t see satellites and don´t get a fix @ all
i checked everything 3 times, the files are where they should be and everything´s 777...

running mdj´s cm7 2.4....

no clue what to try now....

any idea why this works works for so many people but not for me.. ? are there different hardware revisions of HD2 ?......

anyway....:(

hlvl

Jul 5, 2010
hmmm, no matter what i do, i don´t see satellites and don´t get a fix @ all
i checked everything 3 times, the files are where they should be and everything´s 777...

running mdj´s cm7 2.4....

no clue what to try now....

any idea why this works works for so many people but not for me.. ? are there different hardware revisions of HD2 ?......

anyway....:(

Did you try "old fashion" fix just to stay somewhere on the open space and wait fo 10-20 minutes to let it "cold-start"?

barty22

Jan 4, 2008
@diem

hey man, great job so far. What about publishing your source to other devs such as gauner, to further optimize the gps fix on gingerbread? From what I read it's still not perfect, is it?

thanks

boba

+1

I just took the "new fix" for a test drive, and while it is definitely an improvement over the older situation, it's not perfect yet.

For example, I can't get any satellite information when there is no fix yet. Only when there is a fix it shows satellite information. And usually gps drivers can show satellites even when it there is no fix yet.

And I still get several lost fixes while driving, even though it is miles better than it was.

lukesan

May 1, 2009
+1

I just took the "new fix" for a test drive, and while it is definitely an improvement over the older situation, it's not perfect yet.

For example, I can't get any satellite information when there is no fix yet. Only when there is a fix it shows satellite information. And usually gps drivers can show satellites even when it there is no fix yet.

And I still get several lost fixes while driving, even though it is miles better than it was.

Same thing happens in the non-gingerbread builds.

I am actually starting to dislike the GPS receiver in the HD2. Yes, it picks up sats fast in Windows Mobile but it is clearly the worst in other area's I have ever seen.
If you drive using cruise control (tempomat for the Germans) the speed jumps up and down like crazy. For example if you drive 100km/h it sometimes varies between 97 and 104km/h which is just terrible.
I've owned 4 other phones with GPS and several BT GPS modules but non of these where that terrible.
This seems to be happening in WM and Android so it must be hardware related.

FireMAN999

Sep 6, 2006
T

tlausl

@Diem

great work, I copied the files to the directory, but I dont rename any file.
And it works very well for me, no datadrop, no laggy...
(maps, c:geo, igo)

I tested it under MDJ's CyanogenMod 7 v. 2.4.

sorry for my english

DeoreDX

Feb 16, 2009
Alabamastan
I'm using tytung's Nexus HD2 v2.0 build. I found the gps.htcleo.so and libgps.so files in the system\lib system\lib\hw folders. But the sensors.bravo.so isn't there. I have a sensors.mahimahi.so and a sensors.goldfish.so. Would it replace one of those two or so I drop it in as is?

Did a comparison of the files and it looks like it replaces the sensors.mahimahi.so file in tytungs's Nexus HD2 v2.0 build. Pushed the necessary files and set the permissions and rebooted. GPS lock in 5 seconds on my back porch. Satellites now reporting on the GPS test ap.

Gushfevah

Mar 22, 2006
Applied the new fix this morning, and been driving round alot today, the fix works great. Didn't notice a drop.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using XDA App

LiFE1688

May 7, 2010
There is no way a GPS can give you any information except last known location and last gps satellite fixed time, and I don't remember seeing any Android builds having this last known location stored, except in google latitude.

Are you sure it wasn't AGPS information? AGPS has a 5KM marginal error, GPS has 10 meters, and AGPS is faster to provide you any information, because you are already connected to the cell towers.

A lot of these Gingerbread builds have AGPS turned off by default.
Settings -> Location, I forgot what the full setting is, but it is just right above the GPS enable.

bigmikehd2

Sep 12, 2010
Cincinnati
I used Faster Fix to change my region then used Root Explorer to change permissions on the two gps files and everything works great for me now.

Last edited:

barty22

Jan 4, 2008
There is no way a GPS can give you any information except last known location and last gps satellite fixed time, and I don't remember seeing any Android builds having this last known location stored, except in google latitude.

Are you sure it wasn't AGPS information? AGPS has a 5KM marginal error, GPS has 10 meters, and AGPS is faster to provide you any information, because you are already connected to the cell towers.

A lot of these Gingerbread builds have AGPS turned off by default.
Settings -> Location, I forgot what the full setting is, but it is just right above the GPS enable.

When I try my Desire HD (which has an unofficial Gingerbread rom on it too, btw), I get satellite information even when I don't have a fix yet. It shows you the visible satellites and their strength, and after a while and enough satellites and enough strength, it will turn into a gps fix (testing using "Gps Test Plus"). Note that it does NOT give me a position yet until there is a fix.

This is normal behavior, and is similar to what i have experienced with previous gps phones, also in windows mobile.

barty22

Jan 4, 2008
Same thing happens in the non-gingerbread builds.

Really? I seem to remember that it worked fine when in windows mobile, don't remember how it was like when running froyo.

And yea, the HD2 gps isn't the best by any means, there was a lot of discussion about how crappy it was even in windows mobile. But it's what we have to manage with unfortunately :p

tallmantim

Dec 3, 2008
Hi

Using root explorer, I cannot paste the files into the lib or hw folders - I have tried changing permissions and I am in R/W mode - any ideas what I am doing wrong with Root Explorer? I can create folders and delete files fine in these folders - just not copy the files across!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys,

just a quick thread to inform you that i have just fixed GPS on Gingerbread in a nightly coding excess. I tested it on CM7 and it works.
    Replace the files in your ROM with the respective ones in this tar archive :)

Download

cheers
    I've been playing with GPS status aswell. With the current roms, you get a fix which is not updated every second and GPS status does not show satelites.

As I was trying to port my own ROM, i had a every second fix and GPS status showing satelites while messing with AdamG's Oxygen v2.0 RC6.

Rafpinga beat me to it by getting Oxygen ported correctly, however using my port files on his build gives me the same results. I'm now able to get a satisfying fix to use with google navigation. It's jumpy here and there but in my opinion way more usable then current GPS status.

Before trying the files attached, Please rename or backup your current files!!
    I have set permission to 777 on all files using Root explorer. Let me know if it works for you!

regards,

ps. I have it working using the files attached (ie gps.htcleo.so). You need to validate if this works for you, or try rename to gps.bravo.so
    converted gps fix to CWM package

For those who use ClockworkMod Recovery, i made a CWM zip file from the normal zip.
    It copys the files with the right filenames and change the permissions to sufficiant ones.

Please be aware, that i am not responsible for an damage on your phone, but for me this fix and this package works awsome! :D

Thanks Diem!
    Great to hear it's working for you guys!
    Ginger with workable GPS feels so much complete :cool:

Regards,
    Diem
    (Thanks to all who clicked the "Thanks button"! :D)
    Step by step gingerbread new real gps fix

1) Download the new files from here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=10636518&postcount=125
    2) Get RootExplorer app or any file manager with root access support
    3) Copy libgps.so to /system/lib and overwrite the original. Tap and hold it and set the permissions to full 777. Tap R/W on tap if system is R/O (read only)
    4) Copy gps.htcleo.so and sensors.bravo.so to /system/lib/hw. Tap and hold those files and set the permissions to full 777. (IF you have gps.bravo.so file in your build, rename gps.htcleo.so to match it to your build and overwrite)
    5) Reboot, make sure gps is enabled from settings - location OR power control widget before you reboot.
    Go outside, launch a gps app. (gps status, google maps or motonav, navigon sygic etc) and wait for gps fix. It would take between 10 to 60 seconds on average. You should see satellite info in gps status app after gps gets a fix. It should update your location every second. It should no longer reset compass to north every few seconds. Your nav software should be working properly now.

This fixes the gps fix loss/no sat info problem of gauner1986 libs and is provided on page 13 and 14. Check posts from Diem and Baco.
    Now you get satellite info in gingerbread and location is updated every second without resets to north. Don't forget to check file name and permissions.

Alternative way to update the files via ClockWorkMod (CWM)
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=10643150&postcount=137

Note: 777 permission means tap and hold the file in root explorer and tap permissions. check all the available permissions. It should say rwxrwxrwx (which is equal to 777)
    Some builds have different filenames for the same file, rename accordingly, be sure you overwrite the original. (Remember to always backup any file you replace beforehand)

The only remaining issue is, gps status says agps info will be downloaded as soon as there is data connection. But there IS data connection and it used to say, agps info downloaded.

This fix is already included in mdeejays cm7 gingerbread v2.5

(Gauner1986, can you update the first post?)