[1/12/17] Collecting our success into one place

Search This thread

nan0s7

Feb 10, 2017
<-- in 'straya
А может попробовать по другому (извините за машинный перевод). Взять за основу оригинальную андроид прошивку, например YB1-X90L_USR_S000500_1707180120_WW06_BP_ROW-flashfiles, и преобразовать ее в ИСО дистрибутив с возможностью установки на SD карту второй OS c загрузкой через БИОС или ГРУБ загрузчик. Или (совсем шальная идея) получить из нее соответствующие файлы ИМГ, которыми можно заменить файлы на СД карте с установленной другой андноид-х86 ОС (тиких много и они устанавливаются, работают, но работают не с полным функционалом аппаратной части Йоги).

And can try on different (sorry for computer translation). Take as a basis the original Android firmware, for example YB1-X90L_USR_S000500_1707180120_WW06_BP_ROW-flashfiles, and convert it into an ISO distribution with the ability to install on the SD card the second OS with boot through BIOS or GRUB loader. Or (really crazy idea) get a corresponding IMG file, which can replace the files on the SD card installed the other Android-x86 OS (tikih a lot and they are installed, working, but not working with full functionality of the hardware part of Yoga).

Yeah apparently the files Lenovo posted aren't actually enough to make our own Android ISO. However, we've worked with the people of Team Bliss OS to get it partially working on the Yoga Book, but I don't know how that progress has been going. We also have a partially working Linux ISO, but not all of the features are working yet.

The bootloader of the Yoga is locked down on both Android and Windows versions so we have to use other tricks to get it working.

vmr3

Nov 22, 2019
Yeah apparently the files Lenovo posted aren't actually enough to make our own Android ISO.

На мой взгляд, файлов в прошивке хватает (для двух вариантов: загрузка и восстановление), только они там запакованы в соответствующие ИМГ файлы. Там все ИМГ файлы запакованы. Если распаковать, например программой "imgRePacker", файл system.img, то получается файл с таким же названием и структурой, аналогичной уже установленному файлу для ext4 (после установки с ИСО образа). Файл boot.img содержит файлы kernel, ramdisk.img и другие, то же в формате как уже инсталлированные...
Пробовал тупую замену (я не программист) файлов на СД карте с инсталлированным Андроидом-х86 в. 6.0 р3, но не прокатило :crying:. Моргает курсор на черном экране секунд 20 и уходит в перезагрузку...:eek:

In my opinion, there are enough files in the firmware (for two options: boot and restore), only they are Packed in the appropriate IMG files. There are all IMG files Packed with the. If you unpack, for example, the program "imgRePacker", the file system.img, it turns out a file with the same name and structure, similar to the already installed file for ext4 (after installation with ISO image). File boot.img contains a kernel file, a ramdisk.img and others, the same format as already installed...
Tried a stupid replacement (I'm not a programmer) files on the SD card with the installed Android-x86 v. 6.0 r3, but did not roll :crying:. The cursor blinks on the black screen for 20 seconds and goes into reboot...:eek:

Last edited:

raven40

Jun 14, 2006
Vladivostok
Need help!!! Received this Yoga Book couple days ago. Problem is, it already has Microsoft account and I can't change it. or make reset, no restore code without account access. Download windows image but new problem-
USB. It cant see USB sticks. Every time it gave error message about descriptor. Tried hdd box with SSD disk inside- works without problems. Did somebody post old USB drivers so I can downgrade them. Driver pack on Lenovo site is a zip. archive and I didnt find any usb drivers.
Yoga book community in Russia is almost dead

nan0s7

Feb 10, 2017
<-- in 'straya
Need help!!! Received this Yoga Book couple days ago. Problem is, it already has Microsoft account and I can't change it. or make reset, no restore code without account access. Download windows image but new problem-
USB. It cant see USB sticks. Every time it gave error message about descriptor. Tried hdd box with SSD disk inside- works without problems. Did somebody post old USB drivers so I can downgrade them. Driver pack on Lenovo site is a zip. archive and I didnt find any usb drivers.
Yoga book community in Russia is almost dead

I might have the USB drivers if you can't find them. But why can't you use the SSD to install Windows anyway? Everything should work from the Windows Update once you've installed it. So you can't do a reset by using the Windows ISO on a USB or by putting it on the Yoga Book itself? That'd be a fresh start or something like that; you can Google it if you're interested.

Silver-1

May 11, 2013
Has there been any updates on getting android or linux running on the yoga book windows version?

Cryen

Has there been any updates on getting android or linux running on the yoga book windows version?
Looks like this thread went silent.
That's unfortunate ;/

I was able to install both Android x86 and Linux (neon)
But in both cases I wasn't able to install the necessary drivers for halo-keyboard and Wacom tablet

Also, another weird thing is that I have very hard time booting Linux installers, I want to install another distro but all installations hang on boot.
It wasn't easy back when I got it working but it makes me wonder why it's so inconsistent to boot a Linux installer.
Android x86 works like a charm…

oira666

May 21, 2022
Looks like this thread went silent.
That's unfortunate ;/

I was able to install both Android x86 and Linux (neon)
But in both cases I wasn't able to install the necessary drivers for halo-keyboard and Wacom tablet

Also, another weird thing is that I have very hard time booting Linux installers, I want to install another distro but all installations hang on boot.
It wasn't easy back when I got it working but it makes me wonder why it's so inconsistent to boot a Linux installer.
Android x86 works like a charm…
Hello!

When I try to install Android x86 I get the following:

Variable root isn't set
You need to load the kernel first
Variable root isn't set
Press any key to continue...

And the installation stops here
What shall I do to install it?

Cryen

Hello!

Variable root isn't set
Variable root isn't set

Oh, this must've been one of the first threads I created when playing with the OS on a Yoga book.
I ended up installing Arch (dualboot with Windows) since installing it worked every time and with other distros I had mixed results. (neon installed for me once but ~10 times failed to install, no idea why)

Android though… unfortunately I don't really remember.
From my research, I recommend BlissOS instead of Android x86, (it's still android but modified and has better features and compatibility) you can try different versions but I would suggest the newest one.
Maybe that's the only problem and BlissOS will install correctly.

Cryen

Hello!

Variable root isn't set
Variable root isn't set

What software have you used to flash the Android iso to the usb drive?
I've found a thread that speculated that it's a problem with Rufus.
Maybe try out Ventoy, I love this for storing my OS iso's on usb!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello, everyone!

So as we all know, any developments to do with the Yoga Book seem to be very slow.

Considering a decent number of us have experimented with the Yoga Book, I thought it'd be a good idea to make a centralised place for methods that have worked for people, so we can all have a go and hopefully obtain similar results.

So the idea would hopefully end up being something along the lines of my Megathread (which is now in General).

I guess this is where I get the ball rolling...

Most Promising Leads for Installing Android (1/12/17)

I have tried to install Bliss OS, but with not much luck. Once you get passed the GRUB screen it says there was an emergency error of some kind and reboots the device.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/software/x86-bliss-x86-pc-s-t3534657

I found that his updated installer (v25.0004) doesn't work at all, but the latest version from the original developer worked fine, linked below:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/software/winapp-android-x86-installer-uefi-t3222483

I followed the following methods, all which resulted in a failed attempt, but the one with the most success was the first one:
    - Easy install for Bliss-x86 UEFI/ESP
    - For Bliss-x86 USB based installs
    - Custom install for Bliss-x86 UEFI/ESP

My next attempt will be with Phoenix OS.

OLD INFO (as of 1/12/17)

Edit: I managed to replicate my situation twice. So I now have a method. Will post more info soon.
    Okay... so if you want to get into Remix OS (knowing it's only temporary), here's how to replicate what I did. But make sure you have the following tools:
    - USB keyboard & microUSB to USB adaptor (for the keyboard)
    - Remix OS (I'm using the 64-bit version)
    - A bit of time

What I did:
    - Install Remix OS (doesn't matter what size you choose; 8, 16 or 32) on your C: Drive (main Local Disk) with the bundled installer
    - Reboot when it finishes (via the dialog box, don't reboot any other way... it won't work properly)
    - Give it about 10-15 minutes on the first boot. It'll be "stuck" at this Android-looking thing (mine's all glitched up and stuff)
    - When it's done it'll show a black screen, and the Pencil icon to switch the Halo Keyboard on/off will stop turning on&off, it'll instead just stay on 100% of the time
    - Reboot again, again choosing to boot into Remix OS
    - As soon as you choose Remix OS, you NEED to hold the escape (ESC) key!!! If you don't do this, you'll have to start from scratch
    - If you did it right, it'll come up with a couple lines of code, and then after a couple second it'll say "ANDROID" underneath the code, and everything will load up
    - Everything should be in portrait-mode, but you should have no graphical glitches now, and should see the setup screen
    - The touch-screen still shouldn't work here, you need to use the keyboard to navigate through the setup. If the Wi-Fi bit isn't connecting properly, do that later (just skip that step, up the top right). I left Google Play Services enabled, it doesn't matter, it won't ask for your information unless you open a Google App.
    - When you finish the installation, everything should work (except the Halo Keyboard of course)
    - To make Remix OS take up the whole screen instead of just the middle... go to the Settings App -> Remix OS Settings (whatever the top one is) -> Always show landscape thingo, toggling this off will make it use the whole screen instead of that little square in the middle.

This is far as I've gotten. I've tried getting USB Debugging to work, but it doesn't want to work. Bluetooth doesn't work for me, nor does changing the brightness. I wouldn't lock the tablet either, sometimes that doesn't work. Also don't try use the Google Play Store, because when you finish entering your information, it'll likely crash and you'll have to start over again. Rebooting will reset everything.

OLD INFO (as of 30/03/17)

I've had some random luck (as told in my recent post, I'll quote it here) with Remix OS.

I had a minor breakthrough last night. I don't know how I managed it though.

So Remix OS has an installer application you can run from within Windows. I used that, then rebooted into Remix OS. The first boot was met with just lots of graphical errors, but when I rebooted again into Remix OS, it booted perfectly. Android was running smoothly, everything worked (the touch screen, Wi-Fi, etc. - but not the Halo Keyboard). However, when I rebooted again, it stopped working. I was not able to successfully replicate that again - even with many re-installations of Remix OS.

I'll continue to mess with it, but if anyone has Windows and wants to attempt getting Android on it, this may be a viable method they can try. But of course, it's not perfect so don't do anything you don't know how to do just yet.

Somehow I managed to get it working, but only temporarily.
    If I'm able to replicate this situation again, I may be able to install the Stock ROM alongside Windows 10. However, I don't have all the time in the world, so this may take a long while.

General Yoga Book Information:

To my knowledge, there are two versions of the Yoga Book, each with two sub-versions for the OS:

1.) YB1-X9aF - this is the Wi-Fi version
    2.) YB1-X9aL - this is the LTE/4G version

Where the "a" between the 9 and the F/L is either a zero or a one, depending on the installed OS (Android: 0, Windows 10: 1)
    The SIM card is a Nano-SIM with 3G capability.

Other than that, all Yoga Book devices share the following specifications:
    - 10.1 inch IPS display, of resolution 1920x1200
    - Intel Atom x5-Z8550 processor, which:
    ----+ Has an architecture of x86_64 (ie. 64-bit)
    ----+ Core base clock of 1.44 gigahertz
    ----+ Core boost clock of 2.4 gigahertz
    ----+ 4 cores and 4 threads
    - Battery capacity of 8500 milliampere hours
    - On-board storage of 64 gigabytes of solid-state storage (SSD)
    - 4 gigabytes of random-access memory (RAM)
    - A microSD card slot capable of up to 128 gigabytes of storage
    - Two camera's, one above the display and one on the keyboard
    - Wi-Fi (802.11 ac) and Bluetooth (v4)
    - 3.5 millimetre headphone jack
    - Micro-USB 2.0 OTG port
    - Micro-HDMI port

Any information I put about my experience will be with the YB1-X91F version (aka Windows 10 Wi-Fi)

Dual OS or Switching the pre-installed one:

I have attempted getting Android on my Yoga Book, and completely deleting everything Windows. This has obviously not gone very well for me.

Version's I've tried:
    - Android x86 6.0-r1
    - Android x86_64 6.0-r1
    - Android x86 6.0 20160129
    - Android Nougat x86 20160902
    - Android 4.2.2-r1 "ia3-core mesa-userdebug"
    - Remix OS (32 & 64-bit)

The one I personally have had the most success with (by that I mean I've gotten it to display the Android set-up screen with no touch-input) is the 32-bit version of 6.0-r1 (so the first one on my list above).

Other OS's that I've tried/succeeded in running:
    - GParted Live 0.28.1-2 i686 (although, the whole screen is in portrait mode)
    - Ubuntu 16.10 Desktop (amd64 - so it obviously didn't work)
    - Windows 10 with AMIDuOS on-top (honestly wasn't that great)

Currently testing:
    - Windows 10 with BlueStacks on-top

TLDR:
    If you're on the Windows 10 version of the Yoga Book, I cannot recommend attempting to install Android on it (even with a dual-boot) at this current time. This will probably change if x86 Android update their ROM/Image, though.

I'm currently testing the practicality of putting BlueStacks on-top of Windows 10, which is a player that allows you to run Android apps. The only thing I'm keeping an eye on is battery life (since it'll be doing background tasks for Windows AND Android). However, you will at least have full functionality - especially with the Halo Keyboard.
    Ehh... BlueStacks isn't that great after all. Personally I'd stick with Windows apps if you need something like that.

I will add more info and links later on, I just wanted to get this out before hitting the hay. Australia's time difference sucks.
    Hey just thought I'd let you know that I got around to trying Bliss OS (with not much success, though) and I updated my OP with some information. Now I'm going to see how I go with Phoenix OS. :D

You can join us in Telegram group that we can have a direct chat with the devs of Bliss x86, me and your having the same Device which we can help the developers of Bliss to support yoga book
    Here is the chatroom for Blissrom x86:

https://t.me/blissx86
    As a techie achievement I totally understand. But I doubt you will get all the drivers working properly. Halo Keyboard, Wacom & AnyPen for example. But good luck... On the other hand I have to insist: Windows gives you more control over everything... lol...

Once I get some sort of Android on it, that will allow me to flash a ROM that has all the drivers in it. And it depends what you define control as... :p
    AmiDuOS works for me but the keyboard language cannot be changed somehow.

Have you tried different keyboard apps?
    Are you gonna try again if you can get your hands on Lenovo's stock Yoga Book ROM?

I do actually have a copy of the stock ROM, but not in a format I can put on the Yoga Book without the Android bootloader installed. The versions of Android I tested were ones that include the files for the bootloader and such, but they didn't want to work properly. :(

If something new comes up, or I get another idea, I will for sure try again. I prefer to use Android over Windows, any day.