• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

1-Star spamming on the android market. Anyone else had the same problem??!

Search This thread

dazbradbury

Jun 15, 2008
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone else has been on the end of a 1-star spamming from a "competing" developer? I say "competing", because my apps are all free!

Here is an example of someone coming along and spamming my rating:

attachment.php

As you can see, the application doesn't get reviewed very often. I think it must have got above the search ranks for a certain developers app, and then boom, 20 1-star ratings.

Anyone else had the same problem? You would have thought google can see it's the same person/dev and act appropriately. Imagine this is more of a problem for people trying to make money from the marketplace!

Attachments

• device.jpg
    device.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 1,436

jgittins

Nov 1, 2010
Carlisle
I've had 1 star ratings from my competition (I could tell because they used their real names for their comments) but not 20 ratings all in one go like that.

Btw what app are you using to track ratings?

dazbradbury

Jun 15, 2008
The app is Andlytics, it's excellent for tracking like this. They just pushed an update with much more detail as well. Would recommend it.

Still can't believe people would spam a free app like that. It's just sad!

dazbradbury

Jun 15, 2008
You should name and shame ;)

Also I think you should only be able to rate if you are willing to write a review for it. Would cut down on this a bit..

Well. The app above is a caller id application (NameBuzz). When you searched for "caller id", it briefly came in 3rd place, now it comes in 11th after the rating hit. So I'm assuming it's one of the developers above that... but obviously I have no way of being sure, so I can't name and shame!

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
Curious, I only see 6 1 stars, and they're all basically saying "it vibrates after answering". So maybe you have a problem with specific phones?

I don't know if it helps, but you might put some text in there about how to contact you and how to contact you and that you can't help people just based on comments alone. I myself didn't realize that a developer can't contact you from a comment until after using the market for a bit.

dazbradbury

Jun 15, 2008
Curious, I only see 6 1 stars, and they're all basically saying "it vibrates after answering". So maybe you have a problem with specific phones?

I don't know if it helps, but you might put some text in there about how to contact you and how to contact you and that you can't help people just based on comments alone. I myself didn't realize that a developer can't contact you from a comment until after using the market for a bit.

Thanks for feedback. The 20, 1-star ratings, were left WITHOUT a comment. Hence the reason you can't see who it's from (not that the name means much), and you can't see the ratings. All that happens is the app drops rating level drastically. However, from the developer console, you can see that 20 ratings have been made.

The comment about contact details, I guess I should put that in there, but I think the comments you refer to are actually quite old - since around my January release, the issues have been virtually non-existent. I think the issue here is a basic spamming of my application by someone fairly bored, and extremely sad.

As you can see, the application doesn't get reviewed very often. I think it must have got above the search ranks for a certain developers app, and then boom, 20 1-star ratings.

Ah well, it´s been reviewed today *****

"Competing" developer - that s.o.b. should be working on his developing skills instead of playing fouls. It would be a great thing, if there would be some form of mechanism/procedere to catch someone like this a......

Good luck and best wishes
germanhoss

dazbradbury

Jun 15, 2008

Hey doug,

That's an awesome article! haha. Wasn't expecting that kind of support! It seems like you may have had an impact as well, as my historical rating now looks like this:

attachment.php

Seems as though I've found someone with an non-compatible device though (hence the one star lurking in there), unfortunately, people rarely leave what phone they're using in the comments!

I think the discussion on how to improve the android ratings system is a really interesting one, and something I'm sure Google must have on their TODO list...

Attachments

• Andlytics2.jpg
    Andlytics2.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 865
I totally wish that Google would fix the rating and comments sections... You can't moderate the comments at all and people spam them with all kinds of bullshit. I frequently have users (who must be mentally retarded) leave 1 star ratings and ****ty comments about my apps when a simple search would tell them that the problem is their stupid phone/carrier (an example would be streaming shoutcast on a Sprint EVO which has been broken by HTC since early December). Holy **** I could rant on and on about the comments/ratings for hours... it pisses me off every day!~

EDIT: I wanted to mention that I did get Google to remove one comment but they still left the 1 star rating... some dumbass got his credit card stolen and blamed me for it. On many occasions over the last couple of months I have seriously considered just not making anymore apps for Android because the comments/ratings sections are bullshit.

Last edited:

jgittins

Nov 1, 2010
Carlisle
You could try using alternative markets, but none of them have anywhere near the number of users that the official market does.

Vulpix

Mar 25, 2006
Singapore
I totally wish that Google would fix the rating and comments sections... You can't moderate the comments at all and people spam them with all kinds of bullshit. I frequently have users (who must be mentally retarded) leave 1 star ratings and ****ty comments about my apps when a simple search would tell them that the problem is their stupid phone/carrier (an example would be streaming shoutcast on a Sprint EVO which has been broken by HTC since early December). Holy **** I could rant on and on about the comments/ratings for hours... it pisses me off every day!~

EDIT: I wanted to mention that I did get Google to remove one comment but they still left the 1 star rating... some dumbass got his credit card stolen and blamed me for it. On many occasions over the last couple of months I have seriously considered just not making anymore apps for Android because the comments/ratings sections are bullshit.

You should see ratson's twitter. I made a comment if he got yet another "1 star, what is root" review for his killer app and he replied that he was already used to such ratings. :(

Greenfieldan

Jun 14, 2010
Mason
On the bright side, at least you have to own the app to rate it. I'm not sure if they've changed this, but in the App Store you could rate apps without actually owning them. A friend of mine basically got spammed by competition and they didn't even have to buy his app.

[email protected]

May 19, 2010
Chicago
teslacoilsw.com
Holy **** I could rant on and on about the comments/ratings for hours... it pisses me off every day!~

Honestly, you should avoid reading the comments every day.

I absolutely agree that it's brutal and stressful to read Market comments. So I don't check them too often. If there's a real bug, I'm not going to be able to debug it from a Market comment anyway, I need someone to email me for that. Emails can be brutal too, but generally if someone takes the time to write an email they're at least a bit more considerate than the Market commenter. Also you can actually reply to an email and most times even a pissed off user feels a lot better if they get a reply, even if it's just saying "Sorry, this sounds like a bug, can you give me some more information?".

appelflap

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
...I wanted to mention that I did get Google to remove one comment but they still left the 1 star rating... some dumbass got his credit card stolen and blamed me for it. On many occasions over the last couple of months I have seriously considered just not making anymore apps for Android because the comments/ratings sections are bullshit.

Lol, totally familiar with the problem. i get ppl recommending not buying an app because I would charge their credit card four times. Or ppl saying that my keyboard have damaged all other keyboards on their device :D

Here's a tip. Buy your own app with another account. Create a nickname "support" and react on troll comments. Give them tips, ask them to contact you etc. It helps to ease your mind. And I agree with [email protected] don't read the comments too often, in the end honest comments will dominate.

tincanman

Dec 31, 2010
i actually went and got your app and gave you a five star rating :)
but yeah, looks like we got some shady dev on android. google needs to fix this.

Reactions: dazbradbury

dazbradbury

Jun 15, 2008
I can't write an article to support but i downloaded you're app and gave 5*s plus great review, every little helps! :)

but yeah, looks like we got some shady dev on android. google needs to fix this.

First off, thanks guys, I'll post progress again in the next few days, but this is nice reminder that the community does have more power than one spiteful developer (or his "marketing" team).

The comments section can be infuriating at times. I would like to be able to write a one-time comment (visible to all), which would be emailed to the person leaving the comment. That way issues could actually be resolved.

With the Android fragmentation issues in the state they are in, I have no idea on which devices I can expect namebuzz to actually work. I have two phones to test with, and the emulator provides little help. Hence, to simply be able to ask what devices are causing issues, would be a huge insight into fixing or notifying users of known issues.

I just feel sorry for the developers relying on the Android marketplace for revenue, they must be hugely affected by this, and I'm glad I'm not in their shoes...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I can't write an article to support but i downloaded you're app and gave 5*s plus great review, every little helps! :)
    I left a five star comment its bs that another dev would do that. We should try and help our community not hurt it.

Sent from my Incredible using XDA App
    dazbradbury,

Just downloaded your app and rated it (highly, of course ;)) and sent a note to five of my co-workers with Android phones asking them to d/l and rate too.

I've had some of these same shenanigans and otherwise low ratings for my apps too, so I feel for you.

Don't mind supporting a fellow developer however I can.

Hope this helps a smidge. Cheers!