• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[10.0][OFFICIAL][EOL] LineageOS 17.1 for Oneplus 5 & 5T

Search This thread

js-xda

Aug 20, 2018
2. Phone rebooting (somewhat) at random pattern
Somewhat later, I noticed that the phone started rebooting at random pattern a few times per day. I noticed as the screen was empty at first upon entering the unlock PIN like after a full reboot when the device is decrypted. Odd thing was that (other for a normal reboot) the SIM PIN wasn't required! So, it wasn't about a power loss or something like that. I suspected/tried:
  • Flashing newer build 210222 - no change
  • Wiping Dalvik/ART cache - at first it appeared less but then returned to the usual frequency of two to three times per day
  • One more thing that I can't recall right now ... will add later if recalling ...
At some moment, I realized that the initial occurrence might coincide with the change done as described in the first part (deactivating power button locking straight away). So, I suspected at first that it was about me doing something by accident (e. g. in the pocket) but I could recall also definitely an occurrence where the phone had been laying on my desk and no touch for sure. I gave it a try and reactivated the power button locking straight away ... and the issue appears to be gone (more than 24 h without a single occurrence). Update 2.3.: Never mind - multiple reboots this morning not stopping until forced shutdown.

Last night, I flashed manually the latest LOS 17.1 build 210301 together with OpenGAPPS ARM64 Pico for Android 10 210303 - reboots occuring still. Updated also to TWRP 3.5.0.

Anyone an idea besides wiping everything and starting with a clean system to verify that it is (not) about the system or the hardware? Problem is that I have no guarenteed way how to reproduce.

T1mb3

Feb 14, 2016
I am reporting two, appearing initially probably independent bugs where I suspect suspected initially a connection nevertheless. As I am running German GUI, translation of some menu entries or such might be not exact.

Running LOS 17.1 210208 (and later upgrade to 210222) on OnePlus 5 with TWRP 3.4.0, firmware 10.0.1 (01.09.2020), no Magisk, no microG but OpenGAPPS Pico.

---

1. Locking display directly vs. setting stating 5 second delay
I noticed since migrating from LOS 16.0 that the device locks right away upon screen off and not with the indicated delay of 5 seconds. I hadn't looked into it further until 1-2 weeks ago. Then I realized it is possible to regain the delay behavior when deactivating the function that power button locks straight away (default setting as far as I know). I decided to give it a try - noticing already the risk that I might re-activate the phone e. g. in my pockets within the 5 seconds period.

---

2. Phone rebooting (somewhat) at random pattern
Somewhat later, I noticed that the phone started rebooting at random pattern a few times per day. I noticed as the screen was empty at first upon entering the unlock PIN like after a full reboot when the device is decrypted. Odd thing was that (other for a normal reboot) the SIM PIN wasn't required! So, it wasn't about a power loss or something like that. I suspected/tried:
  • Flashing newer build 210222 - no change
  • Wiping Dalvik/ART cache - at first it appeared less but then returned to the usual frequency of two to three times per day
  • One more thing that I can't recall right now ... will add later if recalling ...
At some moment, I realized that the initial occurrence might coincide with the change done as described in the first part (deactivating power button locking straight away). So, I suspected at first that it was about me doing something by accident (e. g. in the pocket) but I could recall also definitely an occurrence where the phone had been laying on my desk and no touch for sure. I gave it a try and reactivated the power button locking straight away ... and the issue appears to be gone (more than 24 h without a single occurrence). Update 2.3.: Never mind - multiple reboots this morning not stopping until forced shutdown.

---

Has anyone observed same or similar behavior? I checked on this thread but couldn't find any matching reports.
Surely sounds like your power button is a bit jammed and you unjam it by pressing it.
No other reports of similar behaviour has been reported. If you want to be sure, take a logcat at the time of the reboot and sent that for me.

Reactions: js-xda

js-xda

Aug 20, 2018
Surely sounds like your power button is a bit jammed and you unjam it by pressing it.[...]

Thank you for giving my issue a thought! I understand fully where your line of thoughts comes from - and it matches that I had a lot cases when double-clicking on power (device in standby) for direct camera access. But I am not sure whether it is the right route. For clarification first what I refer to as "normal (re)boot)" and the type of "reboot I observe":
  • "normal (re)boot"
    • In between the Oneplus/Android screen, I am greeted by the warning that my device may be corrupted and so forth due to using custom recovery etc.
    • LineageOS animation will last around 5 sec.
    • SIM PIN is requested.
    • regular unlock
    • "screen waking up" (from slightly grayed out to colored and only then showing start screen icons)
  • "reboot I observe" (if I am lucky/unfortunate enough to witness it)
    • NO Oneplus/Android screen, NO warning.
    • LineageOS animation rather only 2 sec.
    • NO SIM PIN is requested (but unlocked later on).
    • regular unlock
    • "screen waking up" (from slightly grayed out to colored and only then showing start screen icons)
Also, when I keep the power button pushed (as if jammed), the phone will power off - not reboot. So, not sure - what do you think?

Besides, I am testing at the moment with performance set to "fast" (schnell) instead of default "balanced" (ausgeglichen) as I saw some vague indications of reboot/stall on LineageOS 17.1 for Samsung Galaxy S4 when forcefully pushing for it by setting it to lower performance and causing some more activity. So, I decided to do the opposite. And for about 24 h no issues anymore while it was at least 10 times/day the last days before.

If I observe further issues, I will check on the logcat.

Last edited:

T1mb3

Feb 14, 2016
Thank you for giving my issue a thought! I understand fully where your line of thoughts comes from - and it matches that I had a lot cases when double-clicking on power (device in standby) for direct camera access. But I am not sure whether it is the right route. For clarification first what I refer to as "normal (re)boot)" and the type of "reboot I observe":
  • "normal (re)boot"
    • In between the Oneplus/Android screen, I am greeted by the warning that my device may be corrupted and so forth due to using custom recovery etc.
    • LineageOS animation will last around 5 sec.
    • SIM PIN is requested.
    • regular unlock
  • "reboot I observe" (if I am lucky/unfortunate enough to witness it)
    • NO Oneplus/Android screen, NO warning.
    • LineageOS animation rather only 2 sec.
    • NO SIM PIN is requested (but unlocked later on).
    • regular unlock
Also, when I keep the power button pushed (as if jammed), the phone will power off - not reboot. So, not sure - what do you think?

Besides, I am testing at the moment with performance set to "fast" (schnell) instead of default "balanced" (ausgeglichen) as I saw some vague indications of reboot/stall on LineageOS 17.1 for Samsung Galaxy S4 when forcefully pushing for it by setting it to lower performance and causing some more activity. So, I decided to do the opposite. And for about 24 h no issues anymore while it was at least 10 times/day the last days before.

If I observe further issues, I will check on the logcat.
That sounds like a crashing SystemUI or something similar, you should be able to take a log even after the reboot.
Do you have Magisk or any other mods installed?

Edit: you mentioned earlier that you don't have Magisk, but there is no other user with similar issues, so it is very likely something wrong in your setup.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2017
Upgraded from official Lineage 16 to 17.1 without problems. But when opening the camera app I'll get an instant reboot. Any ideas?
EDIT: If I wipe the camera app's data, the camera works fine. But as soon as I enable the option to use GPS, it instantly reboots the phone.
EDIT2: Just updated to the new version of Lineage 17.1 released today and it fixes the reboot. However, even with GPS enabled in the camera settings, photos taken with the camera app won't have any GPS position embedded.

Last edited:

js-xda

Aug 20, 2018
Upgraded from official Lineage 16 to 17.1 without problems. But when opening the camera app I'll get an instant reboot. Any ideas?
EDIT: If I wipe the camera app's data, the camera works fine. But as soon as I enable the option to use GPS, it instantly reboots the phone.
EDIT2: Just updated to the new version of Lineage 17.1 released today and it fixes the reboot. However, even with GPS enabled in the camera settings, photos taken with the camera app won't have any GPS position embedded.

Just out of curiosity: Is it a full/normal reboot or a reboot as I describe above (post #383 of this thread)?

jochenn

Feb 15, 2016
I have a similar issue as @js-xda describes here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...s-17-1-for-oneplus-5-5t.4169147/post-84582691

In addition to his issues, I'm not able to connect to bluetooth devices. As far as I can tell it startet with the build from 20210208 but I have no way of confirming.

Right now I'm on the 20210308 build and Bluetooth is not working. If I try to connect to a device lineage tells me that this app (bluetooth) is not working anymore.

The reboots are quick, at random times and do not require SIM unlock.
Although, sometimes it seems like I can force a reboot by messing with connectivity to the web. For Example: I'm on wifi with cellular turned on. If I turn off wifi it crashes. After the reboot it reboot until I turn off cellular web access.

I'll try to collect some logs over the next days.

Eisfunke

Mar 10, 2021
Germany
OnePlus 5T
I'm having the same issue as @js-xda: random "reboots", but not actually reboots, the phone just crashes to lockscreen after a short Lineage Boot animation, no SIM unlock required. On a 5T (dumpling) though. No bluetooth issues.

It started with 20210223 for me, still happening on 20210309. Downgrading to 20210209 again fixes the issue again, no reboots at all, so something changed after 0209 that broke stuff. (disclaimer: I'm using magisk)

I'm back on 0209 now so my phone's usable, but next time I'll take some logs.

Mar 2, 2017
I'm also observing these quick reboots at random while the phone is not in use.

Since I upgraded from Lineageos 16 to 17.1, the RAM usage from the developer options is reportedly about 5.7GB now, while it used to be around 3GB on Lineage 16.

T1mb3

Feb 14, 2016
Please report your issues to LineageOS (https://wiki.lineageos.org/how-to/bugreport) with proper logcat and steps to reproduce (if any). I can't do anything without a log.
Also there are not many changes to the 17.1 branch, changelog for lineage-17.1-20210223-nightly-dumpling-signed shows 0 possible causes. I suggest to start by checking your environment; uninstalling all your mods (Magisk, ...), using supported Gapps, etc.

jochenn

Feb 15, 2016
I managed to capture some logs yesterday. They should contain me turning off WiFi and my phone rebooting when it tried to connect to the web via cellular network. After that it rebooted a few times until i turned off cellular network.

Pastebin Part 1: https://pastebin.com/XLDpREEJ
Pastebin Part 1: https://pastebin.com/5bmNPDxU
Pastebin Part 3: Pastebin thinks the third and last part is offensive and I can't find a way around it

Last edited:

js-xda

Aug 20, 2018
[...] Running LOS 17.1 210208 (and later upgrade to 210222) on OnePlus 5 with TWRP 3.4.0, firmware 10.0.1 (01.09.2020), no Magisk, no microG but OpenGAPPS Pico. [...]
[...] As far as I can tell it startet with the build from 20210208 but I have no way of confirming. [...]
[...] It started with 20210223 for me, still happening on 20210309. Downgrading to 20210209 again fixes the issue again, [...]

If I combine the above observations, could it be that there is a difference between cheeseburger (OnePlus 5, me and @jochenn using it) and dumpling (OnePlus 5T, @Eisfunke using it) on the builds which helps to pinpoint the issue to certain changes? For cheeseburger, it started with 20210208 while, for dumpling, 20210209 is still without the issue. I am testing currently on 20210118 (last build prior to 20210208 that I have at hand) but only for a few hours yet.

SubNoizey

Mar 12, 2013
Sydney
Rom is great. just installed it and it's much smoother than OxygenOS. However, the slider is a little odd. For some reason, it has total silence (DND) and vibrates. It really feels like the slider should let you swap between system profiles. I think it makes much more sense and is closer to the original implementation of the slider.

@T1mb3
Considering it's a device-specific button is it possible that it can be used to swap between system profiles?

Also is there an option to unlock the device by using fingerprint?

js-xda

Aug 20, 2018

There is an interesting more recent addition to this issue on Gitlab by Mark Williamson: "I think this may be the same issue as #2514 (closed) , I do have restricted mobile data applied for "Google Play Services""

I had restricted mobile data for Google Play Store (not for Services!) so far.

Anyone else restricted mobile data?

[...] I am testing currently on 20210118 (last build prior to 20210208 that I have at hand) but only for a few hours yet.

Upgraded now to 210322 build (and TWRP 3.5.1) and activated mobile data for the Google Play Store. Let's see. Since the above post, I ran on 210118 without any issues.

Update 24.3.: Seems like the restricted mobile data could be triggering the 'soft reboots' - crossing four times a border yesterday and today caused no 'soft reboots'! So far, crossing a border (roaming) was a guarentee for a cascade of 'soft reboots'. Still, I wouldn't define unrestricted mobile data for Google Play Store as a solution but rather a workaround. While it seems that a change in LineageOS is decisive, I can't judge what to point to for the underlying cause - Google Play Services/Store, OpenGAPPS, LineageOS or a combination. Anyone an idea?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    2okPze5.png

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review.

Code:
    /*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    */

HOW TO INSTALL LINEAGEOS:
    - Official instructions
    - In short: sideload in Lineage recovery (suggested) / flash in TWRP

HOW TO UPDATE LINEAGEOS:
    - Download update from Updater app
    - Install update

DOWNLOADS:
    LineageOS 17.1: Official Oneplus 5, Official Oneplus 5T
    Google Apps: OpenGAPPS
    Recovery: Suggested: Lineage recovery for Oneplus 5, Oneplus 5T | Alternative: TWRP

CONTRIBUTORS
    T1mb3, codeworkx

DEVELOPER RESOURCES
    LineageOS source code: https://github.com/LineageOS
    Device tree: android_device_oneplus_cheeseburger, android_device_oneplus_dumpling, android_device_oneplus_msm8998-common
    Kernel: android_kernel_oneplus_msm8998

Android version: Android 10
    Kernel version: Linux 4.4.y
    Required firmware: OOS 10.0.1 (shipped with ROM, no need to install manually)

Telegram group: https://t.me/los_op5
    LineageOS 18.1 is now official, 17.1 will not be updated anymore.
    See thread for 18.1: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/rom-11-0-official-lineageos-18-1-for-oneplus-5-5t.4173997/
    Next weeks update fixes offline charging(y)
    Next update fixes VoWIFI, thanks for all who helped fixing it(y)
    i just encountered two phone freezes in like half an hour and one yesterday.. yesterday was weird(er), i was watching some videos in youtube vanced, when suddenly the sound stuck at one very unpleasant tone, after few second screen turned black, notification diode went from off to white/very light purple..
    cant tell much about first today, but second happened when i was typing reply to other thread on xda (in chrome) when all of sudden screen went black and diode start to glow in white/very light purple..
    the only solution (since it happens when i dont have pc with adb nearby) i was able to find was to press power button to "hard power off"..
    did anyone came across similar issue, or are these freezes signs, that my op5 is going to "silicon heaven"?
    and one question, is there a way to get the log after freeze and hard reboot?

We have two 5T's, both running this ROM and both have experienced a couple freezes in the past week. No idea why, one was in the middle of browsing with Fennec, the other while closing NewPipe. The only way out was to press the power button long enough for the device to reboot. Then all was fine again.

This issue will be fixed soon.