Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
- Jan 2, 2011
I´m sure everybody that is using a ROG Phone 2 has explored the possibilities Armoury Crate provides for gaming. It yields a pleathora of settings and tweaks especially in the hardcore tuning mode.
Some of you might be more familiar and some might be less familiar with the tweaks that can be done.
But did you ever think about taking Armoury Crate to the next level? The options armoury crate provides are not only useful for gamers. In fact, Armoury Crate has the power to create a power/performance profile for apps that are regularly used as well.
Does Netflix, Amazon Prime Video or Youtube really need to run at 120FPS, while watching a video that was recorded at 30FPS or 60FPS.
Is it necessary that your navigation app runs at 120HZ and full unlocked CPU-Power?
Does your fitness tracking/navigation app need to run at 120HZ and full unlocked CPU-Power.
Is it possible to save a significant amount of battery life during video-calling by restricting CPU-Freqs for the Video-Calling app of your choice?
Might it be possible to not use the power-hungry prime core when using navigation or videocalling apps?
Might it be possible to run the currently displayed app only on the little cores?
Some might have already experimented in that direction. But it quickly becomes apparent that Armoury Crate in its current form is meant for games and this is not possible without facing major drawbacks.
As soon as an App is added to Armoury Crate there is a necessity for doing a double swipe to trigger a back gesture. This also works only on the right side of the phone.
The left side triggers Game Genie, the Game Assistant.
Unfortunately the same restriction applies to the home-gesture. Each time you want to trigger the home gesture- triggering the gesture a second time is mandatory.
Adding apps to Armoury Crate that are regularly used, is not convenient during day to day usage.
The solution to this problem is this Systemless-Rom-Mod (SRM) called Armoury Crate - Unleashed.
Since Magisk has grown to a full root and modding solution for Android, it also provides developers the possibility to replace only certain parts of a ROM in a systemless way via Magisk Modules. That means during boot certain parts of the stock firmware are systemlessly replaced, with parts that are modded by me. That means by flashing this Magisk Module your firmware is not altered, and you can just remove the module in Magisk Manager in case you want to return to stock.
Armoury Crate - Unleashed will allow you to use your phone and navigation gestures normally, when adding apps to armoury crate. It will also extend the possible settings in armoury crate.
Features this Systemless-Rom-Mod brings to you:
- remove the necessity for double swipe back gesture once an app is added to armoury crate
- remove the necessity for double home gesture once an app is added to armoury crate:
- remove game genie trigger from the left side of the screen once an app is added to armoury crate (it can still be accessed via the notification in the notification drawer)
- extend cpuset capabilities from armoury crate (you´ll find a more detailed explanation in the second post)
- quickswitch magisk module installed with lawnchair launcher set as recent provider, if you prefer navigation gestures or asus launcher if you prefer button navigation. ( you can still use asus launcher as your launcher with navigation gestures or vice verda)
- working magisk environment
- a ROG 2 running stock firmware WW-17.0240.2103.75
1. Make sure you´re running exactly the firmware this mod is made for.
Do either 2a or 2b:
2a. If you want to use Navigation Gestures:
Flash quickswitch module in magisk manager, install lawnchair and set lawnchair as your default recents provider.
2b. If you want to use button Navigation:
Flash quickswitch module in magisk manager and set Asus launcher as your default recents provider.
3. Download Armoury Crate Unleashed Magisk Module from the download section above
4. Flash Armoury Crate Unleashed Magisk Module in Magisk Manager App
v2 initial release
For additional information or some possibilities this mod opens up be sure to take a look at post #2.
I´ll also try to explain some of the tunables found in the hardcore tuning mode, so they´re easier to understand.
@topjohnwu for Magisk
@mikalovtch for advice
@j to the 4n for advice
@deadlyindian for the banner!
Asus for the ROG Phone 2 and givig me the opportunity to develop on the device!