[10] GlassROM

Search This thread

anupritaisno1

Apr 29, 2014
it isn't possible to downgrade glassrom. glassrom has downgrade attack protection and this is enforced by both software and hardware even if the bootloader is unlocked

however, note that glassrom will not touch the downgrade protection until you install a new system update that has booted to the lockscreen. if the hardware has insider attack protection then some firmware won't be updated at all until the user also unlocks the phone. a rollback would have been possible had 11 never booted but in this case it booted and the rollback indexes were updated

Reactions: zenoh

anupritaisno1

Apr 29, 2014
I would appreciate it if somebody could run CTS on the release candidate

Please be aware that the entire CTS needs several days to complete and requires a lot of ram on the computer running the test suite. It also requires a special setup which we aren't able to acquire ourselves during the pandemic but pretty sure a few other people already have it. Pm me for details

zenoh

May 25, 2018
i think there may be a bug with the unifiednlp settings app in the release candidate. it's unable to recognize the location/address lookup backends i have installed (mozilla, deja vu, nominatim). i've tried restarting, reinstalling the backends, force stopping unifiednlp and clearing unifiednlp storage

anupritaisno1

Apr 29, 2014
i think there may be a bug with the unifiednlp settings app in the release candidate. it's unable to recognize the location/address lookup backends i have installed (mozilla, deja vu, nominatim). i've tried restarting, reinstalling the backends, force stopping unifiednlp and clearing unifiednlp storage
It's probably lacking the QUERY_INSTALL_PACKAGES permission introduced in 11. It's not really a release blocker so I'll fix it with a monthly security update

anupritaisno1

Apr 29, 2014
Right now I'm unsure how I want to fix the issue with unifiednlp. Unifiednlp is already a problematic app. Firstly this is a privileged system app that's accepting untrusted input from user installable sources. That should already be considered a security vulnerability of sorts. To make matters worse it forces the user to fetch these plugins from untrusted and unverifiable sources like fdroid. We don't want to make users rely on fdroid as it isn't secure. Do you see how much the impact of installing an untrusted plugin and having it feed data to a system app can be?

We have similar issues with microg. The code required for signature spoofing is already in place but the way it works is that it would check the permission of the installed microg app and only spoof the signature iff it matches. Again, fdroid doesn't have good security practices and we absolutely do not want to pin their signature. We also do not want users to think they are somehow more secure with microg -- even official GMS has better security than this. The only solution would be that someone at glassrom would need to spend a significant amount of time maintaining these apps

anupritaisno1

Apr 29, 2014
Also remember that microg can be way more dangerous on custom ROMs other than glassrom. First of all almost every custom rom destroys the android security model completely. The second which is even scarier is that google likes to open up selinux exemptions for their own apps. Since microg is pretending to be a google app it also acquires all of these exemptions. These exemptions themselves are scary like a W^X protection bypass. Now this isn't much of a problem with official GMS as they have decent security practices but when it comes to microg and all the other security issues it has of its own (remember microg also has unifiednlp built in) combined with sourcing these apps from untrusted places like fdroid it can really become dangerous. I am talking arbitrary code execution from the context of an app with privileges higher than even privileged system apps

anupritaisno1

Apr 29, 2014
Glassrom removes these exemptions and makes the sandbox very strong for the base system apps so it isn't affected unlike other ROMs or even AOSP

I really recommend doing some reading on what is actually going on in the security community right now

Open source also doesn't automatically mean secure. Open source by definition is just a software development model -- it doesn't make software secure or as a whonix security researcher likes to say it:

"Open source is a development model, not magic pixie dust that eradicates vulnerabilities"
- madaidan

Real world examples:
Windows is more secure/private than linux
Android is more secure/private than linux phones

If you still think otherwise then if open source actually made software secure then it should have worked by now. Why are security issues rising everyday with open source software. Logically, the number of issues should be going down, wouldn't it?

anupritaisno1

Apr 29, 2014
Glassrom also did extensive research over windows security in comparison to Linux

These were our results:
We were able to successfully and proactively mitigate several vulnerabilities made public for windows during the research period without even needing the relevant security patch installed that fixed them -- all this with just the tools microsoft provided alone (so no third party software at all). We even had proactive mitigations ready that would have completely halted the exchange activesync attack that happened a month ago (oh, and fyi we had windows defender disabled, it was useless)

Linux just kept getting pwned every single time. Every time there was a vulnerability our machines were vulnerable and we either had to wait for a patch or build it ourselves

I really advise anyone getting serious into security to read this http://www.ranum.com/security/computer_security/editorials/dumb/index.html

Last edited:

hellcat50

Jun 29, 2014
Glassrom also did extensive research over windows security in comparison to Linux

These were our results:
We were able to successfully and proactively mitigate several vulnerabilities made public for windows during the research period without even needing the relevant security patch installed that fixed them -- all this with just the tools microsoft provided alone (so no third party software at all). We even had proactive mitigations ready that would have completely halted the exchange activesync attack that happened a month ago (oh, and fyi we had windows defender disabled, it was useless)

Linux just kept getting pwned every single time. Every time there was a vulnerability our machines were vulnerable and we either had to wait for a patch or build it ourselves

I really advise anyone getting serious into security to read this http://www.ranum.com/security/computer_security/editorials/dumb/index.html
thank you for all the information, appreciate it! will read into this topic later though.

anupritaisno1

Apr 29, 2014
a security vulnerability was found in the release candidate which is why there is no release announcement. glassrom will request a cve soon. information about the vulnerability cannot be made public at this time

the vulnerability is still pending severity assessment

all users on the release candidate are asked to just be patient. the release candidate still has better security than the past releases and we don't recommend users to downgrade or switch due to this announcement

edit: turns out we don't need to request a cve for prerelease software. the releases will fix the bug or remove the bad feature

Last edited:

anupritaisno1

Apr 29, 2014
Update: the security issue has been fixed now. The actual release will be uploaded soon. Further, actions will be taken to prevent similar vulnerabilities from happening again in the future

anupritaisno1

Apr 29, 2014
I will be removing seedvault from the release. It does not back up apps correctly and if it does work it bypasses android security policy to restore applications. For an enterprise device with MDM set up it is technically possible to use seedvault to bypass the policy and install apps. They have known about this bug for almost a year now and show no interest in fixing it

anupritaisno1

Apr 29, 2014
btw this is the second advance notice that a future glassrom update will remove all support for non system accessibility services

non system accessibility services often are used by password managers and the like. however the capability itself is dangerous. often this functionality is used by malware/stalkerware to monitor phone data

low vision users need not worry as we plan to ship talkback into the system

the draw over other apps permission will also be restricted to system apps only

Reactions: hellcat50

hellcat50

Jun 29, 2014
btw this is the second advance notice that a future glassrom update will remove all support for non system accessibility services

non system accessibility services often are used by password managers and the like. however the capability itself is dangerous. often this functionality is used by malware/stalkerware to monitor phone data

appreciate you thinking about stuff like this, keep it up!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There are no plans to make the auditor app work right now with the current signing keys

I plan to release builds signed with different keys for auditor support

Glassrom for op7pro

Download here: https://github.com/GlassROM/glassrom-landing/releases/tag/20201212-guacamole
    Sources: https://github.com/GlassROM-devices
    Kernel: https://github.com/GlassROM-devices/android_kernel_oneplus_sm8150
    Branch: lineage-17.1
    Pregenerated config at last_generated_release_config

This ROM enforces AVB

Instructions:

Formatting storage:

Do not use twrp to format storage. This will most likely result in a non booting ROM

Use fastboot:
    Code:
    fastboot -w
    fastboot format:ext4 metadata
    fastboot format:f2fs userdata

Do not try to be smart and format metadata as f2fs. It won't boot and you get to keep your broken system.
    There are many ways to flash glassrom. The most common ones are here

1) Using the official recovery that bundles with glassrom

This is by far the safest method to install glassrom as you only need to verify a very small file which verifies the rest of the install process

Download the signed-ota_update.zip and the fastboot zip that says bootable-only

Flash the fastboot zip:
    Code:
    fastboot update fastboot-image-bootable-only.zip
    fastboot reboot recovery

In recovery go to install update > install from adb and then sideload the zip
    Code:
    adb sideload signed-ota_update.zip

Reboot. On the first boot from oxygenos glassrom will ask you to format

2) Using the full fastboot zip:
    This is by far the simplest. Make sure both slots are on the latest firmware and just flash the zip
    Code:
    fastboot update fastboot-image-full.zip

See the section on wiping data

Oneplus devices don't allow flashing firmware through fastboot. It is advised to sideload the full OTA after flashing the fastboot image to upgrade firmware

3) flashing the OTA in twrp:
    Caution: glassrom does not ensure any compatibility with twrp. You also cannot flash incremental updates using twrp

4) using the OTA hack (advanced users only):
    Advanced users can use the system updater to directly apply an update while the system is running. See https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=82596033&postcount=93 for details

5) using the modified system updater (telegram only)
    If you are a member of the glassrom telegram group you can use the modified updater shared there to easily download and install updates. You must join the group and ask for the modified system updater. The updater is auto removed after every successful system update so you must reinstall it every update

6) upgrading from an older version through an existing glassrom installation
    Same as 1 but skip the fastboot instructions and directly sideload the full/incremental OTA

You never need to clean flash glassrom unless explicitly told to do so

Installing twrp to the ramdisk on glassrom will brick your phone. Do not attempt to do so

Donate to glassrom:
    bc1q2g49cs0fmvrac4kplezk4dxydgw5ksrn0etd3c
    12ihMbyri7JKG8bmonrqKpPGStrdX2tHWe

These are bitcoin addresses. Addresses starting with bc1 have less transaction fees
    Monero address:
    Code:
    42vv51M17nq992dcz2ht4F3gUPhf6Nw91jiwtrddYjgRPrns18p48ex8TKyTcpVzJLTGXJ9fAXvK5dhKEZvF4zuABpG8jYe

Do not report bugs if:
    You have modified glassrom in any way. This includes flashing anything to the system, magisk as well as twrp and custom kernels
    You are playing with the hidden developer menu. The only thing you should do here is turn off OEM unlocking. Doing anything else here means that you will not receive support unless you reset the device. The only exception is if a developer has asked you to capture a bug report or use adb to get system logs

XDA:DevDB Information
    GlassROM, ROM for the OnePlus 7 Pro

Contributors
    anupritaisno1
    Source Code: https://github.com/GlassROM

ROM OS Version: Android 10
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
    ROM Firmware Required: Oxygenos 10.
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information
    Stable

Created 2019-10-20
    Last Updated 2020-08-09
    With that attitude, the only person using this rom will be you. Anyway, good luck, I'm out.
    BTW glassrom is still alive. A lot of stuff needs to be done to get the July patch and it might take a while to release
    With that attitude, the only person using this rom will be you. Anyway, good luck, I'm out.

Cool story. Should be pretty interesting coming into a ROM thread asking the developer to post screenshots

Clearly you can slap on any theme, wallpaper, mod you want and make the ROM however you want it to be. Not to mention the end user will never use my setup so the screenshot is really just a lie as the user will just never have a phone that looks like that. And seriously why would they want to? We're all different people, our phones might be the same but they're used in different places and for different purposes

So no, I'm not going to be spreading lies in this thread by posting screenshots of an experience only I can create for myself useless for anyone other than me

And I want no arguments on this beyond this point. Users who've flashed the ROM might give you screenshots but I won't be giving any

Have a good day
    I have no records of anyone shooting their phones after installing glassrom. In fact this device would not even make something like that plausible merely due to it's price

I'm pretty sure he means can you post screen shots from your phone, not someone taking a gun out and F'ing their phone up.

Honestly I wouldn't download this, there's next to nothing telling people about what your rom does compared to others. It shows minimal effort and looks like you're trying to get the "developer" status without doing much when it's not deserved. Look at LoS, Omni, RR pages and look at all the information they give, you have nothing.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone