[10][KERNEL][06.12.2019] Kirisakura-Q 10.1.0 [3.18.140]

Search This thread

Amritttt

Apr 20, 2010
Jalandhar
i am currently on PA 7.2 (aospa) and battery life was terrible after flashing kirisakura nonoc kernel battery life has really improved governor is set to sched.

Reactions: Freak07

kkeith

Aug 30, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
Same here, I don't modify the kernel at all, running PN.
I only modified
zram to 2048kb
swappiness to 40
Zram to lz4
Dirty ratio to 40
Dirty background ratio to 10
Overcommit to 35
I/O scheduler to maple
Read ahead to 2048kb
And of course turned on the audio high performance mode and sdcardfs

I've had it like this ever since I first downloaded kirisakura way back at the beginning and never had a problem, thing runs buttery smooth, no lag anywhere no scrolling issues and no random reboots, and to top it off my battery life is as good as it ever was. I guess I do a touch more than just install as is. And tbh after installing harmony I don't think I'll OC this phone again, I didn't notice a difference in fluidity going back to non-oc.

Edit: I think a couple of those settings I just recently stole from another post somewhere around here when I updated to harmony

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

WhiteEVO

Jul 19, 2010
I only modified
zram to 2048kb
swappiness to 40
Zram to lz4
Dirty ratio to 40
Overcommit to 35
I/O scheduler to maple
Read ahead to 2048kb

I've had it like this ever since I first downloaded kirisakura way back at the beginning and never had a problem, thing runs buttery smooth, no lag anywhere no scrolling issues and no random reboots, and to top it off my battery life is as good as it ever was. I guess I do a touch more than just install as is. And tbh after installing harmony I don't think I'll OC this phone again, I didn't notice a difference in fluidity going back to non-oc.

Edit: I think a couple of those settings I just recently stole from another post somewhere around here when I updated to harmony

How do you turn on audio high performance?

bobbarker2

Aug 30, 2013
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I feel like I typed this already but it didn't post...

Anywho, had one random reboot to boot animation, tried to cat the log but it was empty.. on latest PN.

I think the reason we're saying a lot of variance instability is due to ROM interactions. I'm still on June images + 1.40 was unusable for me then Harmony fixed it and then now a hiccup or two with the latest Harmony.

I can also confirm though that auto brightness does not work anymore with the latest PN build and this kernel. That seems Io have been broken since 1.36.

---------- Post added at 05:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 AM ----------

I only modified
zram to 2048kb
swappiness to 40
Zram to lz4
Dirty ratio to 40
Overcommit to 35
I/O scheduler to maple
Read ahead to 2048kb

Uh.. I don't think the word only belongs in there haha. You're modifying some key values that dictate the kernels and memory management's behavior

And not to be a critic but your settings don't make a whole lot of sense. What is 2 megabytes of compressed Ram going to do? You might as well just turn it off and save the CPU Cycles. And you're skewing the kernel to page more while decreasing overcommit. It's self defeating.

kkeith

Aug 30, 2010
Typoed on that, supposed to be mb, was at work, I mostly just try out settings that I see other people post and test them out and see if they help. As I was writing it it sure send to get long haha, used to only have swappiness at 40 and zram at 2048mb, sdcardfs and 2048 readahead.
Do you have some suggestions that would be better to try for the dirty ratios, swappiness and overcommit? I will say I did notice a difference when I changed the over commit and dirty ratios to those I found.

I initially meant I don't see much with my phone nowadays, not specifically the kernel... But with lack of attention and a quick minute to reply to a post I didn't pay attention to my last post that he responded to as well haha

Last edited:

bobbarker2

Aug 30, 2013
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Typoed on that, supposed to be mb, was at work, I mostly just try out settings that I see other people post and test them out and see if they help. As I was writing it it sure send to get long haha, used to only have swappiness at 40 and zram at 2048mb, sdcardfs and 2048 readahead.
Do you have some suggestions that would be better to try for the dirty ratios, swappiness and overcommit? I will say I did notice a difference when I changed the over commit and dirty ratios to those I found.

I initially meant I don't see much with my phone nowadays, not specifically the kernel... But with lack of attention and a quick minute to reply to a post I didn't pay attention to my last post that he responded to as well haha

gotcha. id suggest going back to stock settings for swappiness and dirty ratios. For Android (and the core of Linux) unused RAM is wasted RAM. Its a very different paradigm than Windows. You want the kernel to do as little paging as possible and keep most used/relevant data resident in memory. I almost never have activities destroyed, even coming back to some apps a day later.

And I dont think you are using 2gb allocated for ZRAM.. thats 1/2 the total RAM of the device. 512mb is stock and a good value based on 4GB of RAM. If you had 1/2 your ram compressed, you would see some major negative side-effects.

kkeith

Aug 30, 2010
gotcha. id suggest going back to stock settings for swappiness and dirty ratios. For Android (and the core of Linux) unused RAM is wasted RAM. Its a very different paradigm than Windows. You want the kernel to do as little paging as possible and keep most used/relevant data resident in memory. I almost never have activities destroyed, even coming back to some apps a day later.

And I dont think you are using 2gb allocated for ZRAM.. thats 1/2 the total RAM of the device. 512mb is stock and a good value based on 4GB of RAM. If you had 1/2 your ram compressed, you would see some major negative side-effects.
Ok I set them back to defaults, I do have 2048mb allocated to my zram and have had it that way for a very long time now with no issues, I'll set it down to 512mb and try that, I do remember picking 2048mbs based on some reading I'd done, but wouldn't be the first nor last time I had found misinformation on the internet haha

Edit: I guess clicking the button to the right of the options in ex kernel and rebooting doesn't set them back to defaults, does anyone have the default settings for the dirty ratio, dirty background ratio, and over commit ratios by chance?

Last edited:

bobbarker2

Aug 30, 2013
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Ok I set them back to defaults, I do have 2048mb allocated to my zram and have had it that way for a very long time now with no issues, I'll set it down to 512mb and try that, I do remember picking 2048mbs based on some reading I'd done, but wouldn't be the first nor last time I had found misinformation on the internet haha

Edit: I guess clicking the button to the right of the options in ex kernel and rebooting doesn't set them back to defaults, does anyone have the default settings for the dirty ratio, dirty background ratio, and over commit ratios by chance?

Clear data on ex kernel manager and reboot. Should get you back to stock. If not just reflash, just make sure ex km has its data cleared.

@Freak07 I had another weird reboot to boot animation again and like last time the ramdump was empty. However, I was able to play around with Franco's kernel and got it to do the same thing so it isn't any issue specific to your kernel.. or its a merge that you both took. But much greater likelihood of some weirdness going on with PN back in June and kernels being updated for July. Will be flashing factory image clean and your latest kernel to give an accurate test. This isn't really a bug report since I have no data to submit, but more of a "eh - everything's probably alright kernel side".
I wonder if Beans is going to skip a July build and just do August since there's only a bit over a week left in the month..

kkeith

Aug 30, 2010

Well after a couple days of using the default settings I will say the phone is actually a little quicker, battery life has certainly improved, however the slight choppiness when scrolling every once in a while had also come back. Not a big issue or anything, definitely worth the added battery life haha. Just thought I'd give you an update and let you know you were right [emoji6]

bobbarker2

Aug 30, 2013
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Well after a couple days of using the default settings I will say the phone is actually a little quicker, battery life has certainly improved, however the slight choppiness when scrolling every once in a while had also come back. Not a big issue or anything, definitely worth the added battery life haha. Just thought I'd give you an update and let you know you were right [emoji6]

Glad my advice helped.

mazubo

Jun 24, 2011
OnePlus 8
Are there any issues with flashing this kernel over stock room with another developers kernel?

Edit: flashed over another developers kernel as instructed in OP and all is well, thank you !

On another note; can someone explain the different io schedulers? I appreciate the choices, but don't know which one to choose!

Last edited:
Reactions: BHermes211

mazubo

Jun 24, 2011
OnePlus 8
Just tried watching a YouTube video. No audio is playing.. I previously played a bit with mic gain in Sound settings using ex manager, however I reset them to default. I now get fizzing, pooping sounds even while doing other things besides watching YouTube videos.. what can I try to do to fix this?

Freak07

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
Just tried watching a YouTube video. No audio is playing.. I previously played a bit with mic gain in Sound settings using ex manager, however I reset them to default. I now get fizzing, pooping sounds even while doing other things besides watching YouTube videos.. what can I try to do to fix this?
Which kernel are you on? The new harmony?

I just watched a youtube video. Sound is playing fine for me.

veetoe

I haven't been able to get harmony to work. Im on the july purenexus build now, same issues on june. I've tried .61 and .63. I get some really weird issues, screen not waking, or takes like 20 seconds to wake. I also noticed that the camera was only showing a black screen. Sometimes it seems like android won't load all the way upon boot and then it will reboot straight to the bouncing dots and never boot from there, hard reset required. I've let it sit for well over 10 minutes too like previously mentioned, and it doesnt get any better. I use liveboot and when i flash harmony it shows a bunch of weird errors in the log during boot that don't show up on 0.17.
I've tried numerous times and the ONLY time harmony seemed to operate normally was after first flashing the july purenexus build, coming from the stock purenexus kernel. Screen would wake fine and right away. So I rebooted to twrp to flash the schedtune900 zip and when it booted back into the system it had the same previous symptoms, screen not waking etc.
I even flashed a twrp backup of JUST before i flashed harmony when it worked, and I couldn't get it to work again even after the backup restore.
I would love to get this to work properly, any ideas? Thanks

Freak07

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
I haven't been able to get harmony to work. Im on the july purenexus build now, same issues on june. I've tried .61 and .63. I get some really weird issues, screen not waking, or takes like 20 seconds to wake. I also noticed that the camera was only showing a black screen. Sometimes it seems like android won't load all the way upon boot and then it will reboot straight to the bouncing dots and never boot from there, hard reset required. I've let it sit for well over 10 minutes too like previously mentioned, and it doesnt get any better. I use liveboot and when i flash harmony it shows a bunch of weird errors in the log during boot that don't show up on 0.17.
I've tried numerous times and the ONLY time harmony seemed to operate normally was after first flashing the july purenexus build, coming from the stock purenexus kernel. Screen would wake fine and right away. So I rebooted to twrp to flash the schedtune900 zip and when it booted back into the system it had the same previous symptoms, screen not waking etc.
I even flashed a twrp backup of JUST before i flashed harmony when it worked, and I couldn't get it to work again even after the backup restore.
I would love to get this to work properly, any ideas? Thanks

Don’t flash the schedtunezip. The power Hal changed probably in the new builds and is not compatible. :good:

It isn’t recommended to flash the schedtunezip with the new EAS machinery.

Reactions: bbender716

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys and girls,

So straight to Topic.

The Kirisakura-Harmony is based on the latest google sources. On top of it are the latest EAS patches directly from Linaro. It also includes a few Audio Patches from CAF. Power Gating is disabled so you can use this kernel with @chdloc ´s excellent, I am wholeheartedly recommending it, biquads mod. If you grasp what you can do with it, you will never need an equalizer in your life again. So this is also an audio oriented kernel.

As I said I am still learning. The Feature list Comes here:

- Based on the latest Sources from Google for Android Q/10
    - Upstreamed to 3.18.140
    - Schedutil included again
    - GPU Adrenoboost
    - Wake gestures from flar2
    - KCAL from savoca and ported by tbalden
    - HBM enabled and accessible for the user
    - Backlight dimmer is added
    - FIOPS, SIO and MAPLE I/O Scheduler included
    - Updated BFQ I/O Scheduler
    - I managed to merge some Audio Patches from CAF, which should enhance Audio
    - Power Gating disabled so you can use @chdloc ´s biquad mod
    - Vibration Control
    - Sound Control
    - sdcardfs
    - Sched and latest Schedutil (with latest upstream patches is also default)
    - Updated EAS Machinery
    - USB fast charge

Instructions for Android P
    How to flash the Kernel:

1. Download the kernel.zip to your device

1a. Optional: While it may not be necessary all times, you may want to restore stock boot.img, re-root with magisk and optionally install twrp.zip if coming from another kernel. Before reporting issues make sure you do that! Thank you!

You only need to do either 2a OR 2b
    2a. Boot to TWRP and flash my kernel.zip. Root will be preserved!
    or
    2b. Flash kernel zip in EX Kernel Manager or FKM app. Root will be preserved!

3. After booting up make sure to set schedutil as default CPU governor (check apply on reboot option) to fully profit from the kernel´s changes!

4. Enjoy your device now!

Android 10 Download:
    Download:
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=300707

Download for PIE

Oreo Kernel Stuff

Download:
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=152851

Changelog-Mainline:

- Initial release

-added safetynet patch

- Add GPU OC
    - Update wake gestures
    - Many new Performance Patches
    - Updated dm verity

0.4_1
    - More performance tweaks
    - Made my kernel a flashable zip <-- I hope you guys are satisfied now

- add Slimbus OC <-- Increases Audio Quality
    - Various crypto Patches
    - More Patches that may help with Performance
    - added wakelock Patches
    - added a few alsa patches

- added soundcontrol
    - disabled some logging stuff
    - some more tweaks

-enabled few other tcp congestion algorithms <-- westwood is now default
    - set default iosched to deadline as it works best with eas kernels if we trust the documentation

- added sdcardfs <-- take a look at the FAQ on how to enable it
    - added in two new governors, alucardsched and darknesssched
    - merged in some other commits. take a look at my github

- when deactivating kernel side dt2w and s2w, one is still able to use the stock google dt2w implementation
    - code updates for both alucardsched and darknesssched <--- if anyone has time please test and report back how they work with 0.9
    - added option for GPU boost <--- disabled by default, take a look at the faq please
    - update to cpuidle <--- deep sleep is improved for me
    - the simple_ondemand GPU governor is now usable and does not crash upon choosing
    - fix an issue were tasks were not given properly to cpusets
    - a few other changes, please take a look at my github

0.9_5
    - fixed a typo which would the user not choose msm-adreno-tz GPU governor after choosing simple_ondemand <--- also have no worries I implemented a patch that will let you choose only GPU governors that will not crash
    - a few more commits for schedutil and sdcardfs

- all security patches
    - some patches that may help with efficiency
    - many patches to schedutil,sched, and walt (many)
    - few patches to sdcardfs
    - tuned WALT values a bit
    - other things I forgot, check my github

- I added a few additional commits to adrenoboost, it is now more conservative and suited for daily use. I run it on moderate boost and don´t notice any battery drain
    - performance of the fingerprint reader may be improved <-- I need feedback from you, don´t use it myself
    - update to slimbus OC
    - a few patches that may help with stability and performance in general
    - many patches to schedutil , it is the recommended governor now in conjunction with nohint.zip
    - introduced a new governor, called helix_schedutil based on schedutil; thanks to @ZeroInfinity
    I had a little play with it, if anyone finds better values I can include them.
    - for more details check my github
    - please check this post prior to flashing: https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=71415045&postcount=210

Changelog for 0.12:
    - added blu active governor
    - updates to helix_schedutil, alucardsched and darknesssched
    - updates to sdcardfs
    - maybe some performance improvements <-- please give feedback
    - other things look at my github
    - made a non oc version
    - please check this post prior to flashing: https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=71502126&postcount=241

Changelog for 0.13
    - Implemented CPU_Input_Boost by sultanxda <--- disabled by default, if you experience scrolling lag activate it in EXKM, CPU Tab
    - Implemented a new sched governor called energy-dcfc (Dynamic Capacity and Frequency Capping), more information in second and third post
    - Some adjustements for schedutil
    - Updated helix_schedutil
    - some improvements to alucardsched and darknesssched
    - adjusted WALT to final parameters
    - bumped up and improved BFQ, thanks @DespairFactor <-- new default
    - introduced Maple I/O scheduler
    - updated sdcardfs
    - please check this post prior to flashing: https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=71502126&postcount=241

Changelog for 0.14
    - Added April Security Patches
    - Updates to Schedutil, Sched, energy-dcfc
    - Introduced a new EAS governor called pwrutil <-- more information on the second post
    - Some upstream patches
    - some more crypto patches
    - updated wakelock blockers
    - for other things look at my github

Changelog for 0.16
    - Linux Kernel Version is now 3.18.51
    - Applied May security Patches
    - many other little improvements and changes

Changelog-Rebase:
    - Features EAS 1.2 Machinery
    - May security update
    - Linux version 3.18.53
    - Includes all features from mainline except the EAS Governors (sched and schedutil are included) and CPU Boost.
    - IO switcher
    - some patches to schedutil

Updated sdcardfs
    little performance tweak
    updates to low power mode

- IO switcher
    - some patches to schedutil

- performance tweak

- June Security Update

- updated sdcardfs
    - EAS patch
    - Linux Bump to 3.18.56
    - ipv6, net and ext4 patches

- Linux Version now at 3.18.59
    - July Security Patches
    - updated sdcardfs
    - little patch for sched
    - boost now also ufs storage controller upon turning on the screen additionally to boost ddr bandwidth(even faster wakeup)
    - extended recharge rate when battery is near full (aids longevity of our battery)

Changelog-Harmony:

https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=75835635&postcount=1105

https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=76106520&postcount=1129

https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=77515614&postcount=1166

https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=77533981&postcount=1178

https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=77588617&postcount=1180

https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=77758260&postcount=1188

https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=77776533&postcount=1189

https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=78125103&postcount=1198

https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=78342154&postcount=1209

https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=78916917&postcount=1243

https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=78968314&postcount=1251

https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=79506878&postcount=1287

https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=80581575&postcount=1301

https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=81119421&postcount=1311

FAQ:

Q: Which app do you recommend to apply changes to the kernel?
    A: EX Kernel Manager from @flar2 is a great choice. He is constantly updating it.

Q: Which CPU governor I can choose freely and not hinder the EAS?
    A: schedutil

Q: what is GPU boost and how should I choose the boost level?
    A: I also implemented GPU Boost.
    if you use the default GPU governor which is msm-adreno-tz you will have the option of GPU boost in EXKM. if you choose simple_ondemand not.
    I think GPU Boost is not really needed on this phone as it raises GPU freqs aggressively enough for most tasks. So I leave it disabled at default.
    It was originally introduced on the HTC 10, to counter an issue whereby the GPU failed to scale up aggressively enough, to run some not demanding games properly in 60fps locked. But there are some performance junkies (like me) who want to try such things.
    So you can enable this setting and it has 3 profiles. Low, medium and high. It defines how aggressively the GPU gets scaled up.
    I found GPU boost on low to be quite a good all day setting. Maybe a little bit more performance and not a too big hit on battery.
    Medium and High are definitely more battery hungry and you should do this only for gaming or benchmarks.

Q: What is the difference of WALT and PELT and how does it affect me?
    A: https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=71336204&postcount=179

Credits:

@Eliminater74 for bringing me into the game and the Inspiration
    @flar2 for all his work
    @tbalden
    @savoca
    @franciscofranco
    @DespairFactor for the zip and the help
    @Alucard24
    @ZeroInfinity
    @RenderBroken for helping me out
    @dorimanx
    @Sultanxda
    if i forgot anyone just pm me and I will gladly add you

Source: https://github.com/freak07
    Update to 2.10 / November Security Update / 3.18.79

Hey guys and girls,

update time again.

Changelog:
    - upstreamed kernel to latest 3.18.79
    - November Security Update

Download is here: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=962021903579490921

Instruction can be found here:
    https://xdaforums.com/pixel-xl/how-to/guide-android-8-oreo-root-stock-rooted-t3660591

Set governor to schedutil on both cluster to fully benefit from all the patches

use point 6 / install custom kernel.
    Thank you @Homeboy76 for the guide and including my kernel

Have fun, enjoy the kernel and your phone.

Donations are not mandatory but very welcome.
    If you like my work and want to buy me a coffee: http://paypal.me/freak07
    Rebase 1.36

Hey guys and girls,

Rebase is updated to 1.36.
    Quite a few things in the Changelog:

- updated sdcardfs
    - EAS patch
    - Linux Bump to 3.18.56
    - ipv6, net and ext4 patches

Magisk Users please download the magisk version.

Instructions if you are on may bootloader (otherwise please refer to OP):
    1. Download your desired kernel
    2. reboot to recovery
    3. flash kernel zip, twrp and boot sign v3 zip
    4. reboot directly to twrp
    5. flash supersu and boot sign v3 zip
    6. reboot to system

Caution use boot sign v4 and higher only if you are on twrp rc2

Here are the downloads:

OC: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=961840155545576719
    NONOC: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=961840155545576715

Magisk Kernels:

OC: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=961840155545576714
    NONOC: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=745425885120743540

Have fun with it and happy flashing!
    Rebase 1.19 OC/NONOC

hey guys and girls,

here is rebase 1.19.

it includes all previous changes from 1.18
    also a big update to sdcardfs. information on how to utilize it can be found on the OP.

instructions for flashing with may bootloader
    2. reboot to recovery
    6. reboot to system

Download:
    OC: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=817550096634769958
    NONOC: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=529152257862727430

have fun with it and a nice evening.
    Rebase 1.32

Hey guys and girls,

Update time again.
    Includes June Security Update and all patches from previous rebases.
    Also a linux bump to 3.18.55.
    Magisk Users please download the magisk version.

Instructions if you are on may bootloader:

2. reboot to recovery
    6. reboot to system

Here are the downloads:

OC: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=961840155545571990
    NONOC: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=673368273298961666

Magisk Users please download this: