[10][OFFICIAL] CarbonROM | cr-8.0 [z3c]

Search This thread

Myself5

Recognized Developer
  • Mar 17, 2011
    myself5.de
    uK2Q5sA.png

CarbonROM is an aftermarket firmware based on the Android Open Source Project. We are dedicated to fast, stable, and feature-filled ROMs, honesty and communication with our users, and openness with our code. We like frequent builds, with the very latest and greatest hardware support and fixes. We strive to not only provide you with the best ROM we can build, but also to give back to the Android community and our fellow developers. For us, this is about creating something we can be proud of and hope you will enjoy.

Please feel free to look, build, and use our code at CarbonROM's GitHub...

What is PAX?
    Our release of Android 10, titled CR-8.0, is codenamed PAX after the latin word for peace and Pax, the roman godess for peace.
    PAX provides you with the features you need while keeping the focus on delivering an elegant, smooth, and well polished experience. PAX delivers a set of unique features, like a systemwide font engine that also allows for applying fonts on user apps while supporting user fonts through custom APKs generated on fonts.carbonrom.org. We are confident you'll love it, and there's many more things to discover ;)

Disclaimer:
    While we make every effort to test these builds as much as possible, we are not responsible for anything that may happen to your device, family, pets, or perception of reality. We ask that you do your part to know your device and know how to recover from problems before you flash! As always, make sure to do backups.

Support:
    We spend an astonishing amount of time developing this software. We can't spend much time on XDA as a result, so if you need support, please try the following:

1) Search. Search, search, search. Yes, you. I don't care how unique or important your question is, it's very likely someone has adressed it already. Especially if you're even close to new at this.
    2) Read our FAQ, which can be found on our website. Carbon FAQ
    3) Ask a question in your device forum. Someone will no doubt try to help you. Warning: this help may come in the form of telling you it's a dumb question that has been asked before. See step 1 - such are the perils of asking questions when you haven't done the research yourself. Android is about helping yourself.
    4) Join our Discord server or Telegram group! There, you can connect with other Carbon users and our developers, and you can get quicker responses to your bug reports. The invite link is right below.

Download
    Join the CarbonROM Discord server
    Meet us on Telegram
    Homepage
    GitHub
    Kernel source

Remember, every penny you send to us goes right back into the rom. It's used for hardware, server costs, etc - all the things that help us make Carbon better with every release. Your support means the world to us! If you've enjoyed Carbon, please consider a donation toward this goal. Thank you, and we hope you continue to enjoy Carbon!

XDA:DevDB Information
    CarbonROM, ROM for the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact

Contributors
    Myself5, CarbonROM
    Source Code: https://github.com/CarbonROM

ROM OS Version: Android 10
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.x
    Based On: AOSP

Version Information

Created 2020-02-08
    Last Updated 2020-05-06

Hooin Kyoma

Jun 23, 2012
    My feedback about CR8.0 (weekly build 20200513-0206) with gapps pico, magisk 20.4 and ~75 user apps.
    Using TWRP 3.3.1-z3c-20191212-sar from here
    Xposed (RiRu 20.2 from magisk repo, EdXposed-YAHFA-v0.4.6.2.4529 from here) works without problems (1st screenshot).
    I'm not using internal data encryption because of compatibility problems between ROMs/versions, tired to restore backups each time I flash new ROM.
    About 700MB of RAM free just after boot, with stock launcher.
    Battery drain fast, but my battery is very old, no complain.

Pros:
    + reliably fast
    + everything works including GPS, BT, calls/data, hotspot and all my apps
    + no problems with audio routing and mic sensitivity
    + camera is ok but I use OpenCamera anyway

Cons/bugs:
    - still no 5ghz wifi in Russia (I use my magisk-patch to fix this, may also help with other regions, try if you meet this bug)
    - ongoing call can be hanged accidentally by double-tap in any place of turned off display (e.g. by cheek) if tap-to-wake feature is active (here is my workaround using Automate tool, works like a charm). I'm not sure if this bug belongs only to my phone or to any z3c, but it was like forever on any AOSP-based ROM, starting with Android 7.
    - broken size for "Aeroplane mode" button/icon in power menu (see 2nd screenshot)
    - ringtone sound become a bit quieter after half a second from start of incoming call
    - overall loudspeakers volume is not loud enough

Features I'd like to have in this ROM:
    1) choose clock position in statusbar (only at left in CR8.0)
    2) brightness control by sliding in statusbar without opening it
    3) mess up digits on the PIN unlock screen [Carbone Fibers > Buttons > Scramble PIN]
    4) unlock instantly when entering last digit without confirmation
    5) long press power button to turn on/off torch while display turned off [Carbone Fibers > Buttons > Toggle torch]
    6) restrict/disable power menu while phone locked
    7) disable notification panel while phone locked
    8) set minimal time between notifications on per app basis
    9) wake by volume rocker buttons
    10) increasing ringing volume
    11) debugging over network (settings in devs options, absent in CR)
    Most of this stuff available in LOS and AEX roms, but also all (except: 7,10,11, with bugs: 6) can be achieved in CR by using GravityBox xposed module.

Thank you @Myself5 for continue work with our lovely z3c.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200520-142752_EdXposed_Manager.png
      Screenshot_20200520-142752_EdXposed_Manager.png
      78.1 KB · Views: 714
    • Screenshot_20200520-145652_Settings.png
      Screenshot_20200520-145652_Settings.png
      99.6 KB · Views: 715
    Last edited:

BigBrother84

May 25, 2019
    Thank you very much for supporting our cute device :)

Did anyone tried edxposed with xprivacylua, Viper4android, Netflix. Do they work?

Hooin Kyoma

Jun 23, 2012
    Found a BUG: can't set PIN/pattern to lock screen, getting bootloop after try to set it and reboot.
    I use z3c as my daily driver, so I need screen lock, can't use this ROM until fixed. Hope I'm not only one who faces this bug.

Did anyone tried edxposed with xprivacylua, Viper4android, Netflix. Do they work?
    Not sure about these apps, but at least GravityBox[Q] and App Locale 2 I can NOT get working on this ROM with EdXposed v0.4.6.0_beta(4471) (YAHFA). As well as on latest february build of LOS 17.1 (but worked fine on january build). May be I should try some newer versions of EdXposed (like ones from "canary" repo or something), but I need screenlock bug fixed first to use this ROM and more of free time. Btw, everything works perfect on LOS16.

Reactions: BigBrother84

Myself5

Recognized Developer
  • Mar 17, 2011
    myself5.de
    Wiped all except micro sd. Stuck at "Setup wizard keeps stopping", system unusable. With and without gapps.
    Ok I just clean-reinstalled ROM and made first boot WITHOUT SIM CARD INSERTED and it's boot fine. Btw my SIM card PIN-locked (if it's important) and it never caused any problems in LOS17.
    Also I reserve this post for my review.

The Setup Wizard is still work in progress, and we just discovered nobody tested it with a SIM so far. We'll take care of it, thanks.

As for your screen lock issue in the other message: are you encrypted by any chance? Also I assume that's not happening on the lineage17.1 builds you mentioned?

Reactions: okij

Hooin Kyoma

Jun 23, 2012
    As for your screen lock issue in the other message: are you encrypted by any chance? Also I assume that's not happening on the lineage17.1 builds you mentioned?
    Tried with and without encryption. With and without Gapps. With and without SIM card. Always same result. Everytrhing fine until you set screen lock PIN either from Setup Wizard or from Security settings. First of, unlock method stays "Swipe" after set PIN. And if you reboot, system's boot to desktop and auto-soft-reboot (without sony logo) after few seconds. And yes, this not happening on LOS17.1

Reactions: Myself5

yxagasasgas

Sep 6, 2018
    Installation immediately fails for me.

Code:
    Patching system image unconditionally...
    E1001: Failed to update system image.
    [COLOR="Red"]Updater process ended with ERROR: 7
    Error installing zip file '/sdcard/CARBON-CR-8.0-PAX-UNOFFICIAL-z3c-20200208-1428.zip'[/COLOR]
    Updating partition details...
    [COLOR="red"]mount -o bind '/data/media/0' '/sdcard' process ended with signal: 6
    Failed to mount '/appslog' (Invalid argument)[/COLOR]
    ...done
    [COLOR="red"]mount -o bind '/data/media/0' '/sdcard' process ended with signal: 6
    E:Error creating fstab[/COLOR]

Tried to update from your previous CR7 build (CARBON-CR-7.0-OPAL-UNOFFICIAL-z3c-20190819-2110), using TWRP 3.2.1 from here. Nothing actually got written, so previous installation is fine.

yxagasasgas

Sep 6, 2018
    Try 3.3.1 from here, it support Android 10 with "system as root". And I'd recommend wipe all except internal storage and perform clean install.
    Doesn't work for me, just blackscreens and reboots. Tried installing it both via TWRP app and fastboot (although strangely enough, even though adb worked, fastboot didn't in Windows, had to boot to Linux), no dice, so went back to my previous TWRP for now.
    Would be nice to know what's up with that, but I haven't fiddled with any of this in a long time. Ever since CarbonROM appeared, my Z3C pretty much "just worked" and I never had to do much of any fiddling. :)

Hooin Kyoma

Jun 23, 2012
    PIN issue is fixed
    I can confirm this. Also Google' Setup Wizard passed fine with SIM. Thank you!
    What is bother me - the Carbon Fibers menu - as I recall, it usually have much more settings than I can see in this build (see screenshots). This is only to me or some global restriction?
    Also camera app not working, this is odd. Though I didn't try it on fresh system (before google's backup restore). Someone please check.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200228-211802_.png
      Screenshot_20200228-211802_.png
      39.9 KB · Views: 613
    • Screenshot_20200228-211904_.png
      Screenshot_20200228-211904_.png
      25.5 KB · Views: 595
    • Screenshot_20200228-213407_Camera.png
      Screenshot_20200228-213407_Camera.png
      25.4 KB · Views: 597
    • Screenshot_20200228-212922_Settings.png
      Screenshot_20200228-212922_Settings.png
      90.2 KB · Views: 600
    Reactions: okij

nikapos

I can confirm this. Also Google' Setup Wizard passed fine with SIM. Thank you!
    What is bother me - the Carbon Fibers menu - as I recall, it usually have much more settings than I can see in this build (see screenshots). This is only to me or some global restriction?
    Also camera app not working, this is odd. Though I didn't try it on fresh system (before google's backup restore). Someone please check.

the camera was not working for me as well, but after some restarts it fixed itself. i dont know how that happened (even tried the xperia camera port from magisc) but i cannot confirm weather that did the trick..

Reactions: Hooin Kyoma

okij

Oct 24, 2012
    Düsseldorf

You could try if the camera starts working after deleting the folder /data/credmgr with a root file explorer and then rebooting. By doing this, the credmgr folder with the credmanager files are rebuilt by the system, which can help fixing camera issues.

Hooin Kyoma

Jun 23, 2012
    You could try if the camera starts working after deleting the folder /data/credmgr with a root file explorer and then rebooting. By doing this, the credmgr folder with the credmanager files are rebuilt by the system, which can help fixing camera issues.
    Thanks for the tip mate. But it didn't help in this case.

Btw, today I installed (again) latest LOS17, tuned it, rebooted many times, played with microG/magisk/xposed modules - camera worked fine all the time.
    Next (steps to reproduce): wiped cache, dalvik, data and system, installed only CR-8.0 (20200225), rebooted to system, skip anything, camera WORKS! Did nothing, just rebooted again, and got "Can't connect to the camera"! I think this is a BUG and hope I'm not the only one who faces it.

I still have a question about Carbon Fibers menu, why it lack items/options? I can't even reposition statusbar clock to right without using "third-party" apps like GravityBox xposed module.

Also, kind of "feature request": time to time I use adb from PC (we all do i think), and I hate to connect cable to micro-USB port, cuz it's weak and can break soon if use freqently. I use magnetic port/cable for charging and "ADB over network" toggle in Developer Options for ADB operations. One of the reasons why I prefer LOS is because of this "must have" thing, they even have tile in QS for toggle it quickly! Can it be added to CR?

BigBrother84

May 25, 2019
    Thank you for your hard work!

Does encryption work properly?

What works
    Viper4android works
    Sony Device Dummy works with official Sony apps
    Spotify works

okij

Oct 24, 2012
    Düsseldorf
    Hum this new OP looks interesting.

And what is this Twitter Post?

And did someone say May Security Patches?

Great, this looks interesting indeed! :)

Today cr-8.0 also was offered as an OTA update on my Z3c which so far I still have on cr-6.1 (because everything is working well and rock stable on this older version and thankfully you still release monthly security patches for it.)

Have you done some thorough testing of cr-8.0 on the Z3/Z3c devices before making it now official and is everything working (e.g. full camera support and proper in-call audio, which had problems on shinano devices on Android 9 and 10 before)?

If so, I might give it a try this weekend.

Thank you and keep up the great work! :good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      uK2Q5sA.png

CarbonROM is an aftermarket firmware based on the Android Open Source Project. We are dedicated to fast, stable, and feature-filled ROMs, honesty and communication with our users, and openness with our code. We like frequent builds, with the very latest and greatest hardware support and fixes. We strive to not only provide you with the best ROM we can build, but also to give back to the Android community and our fellow developers. For us, this is about creating something we can be proud of and hope you will enjoy.

Please feel free to look, build, and use our code at CarbonROM's GitHub...

What is PAX?
      Our release of Android 10, titled CR-8.0, is codenamed PAX after the latin word for peace and Pax, the roman godess for peace.
      PAX provides you with the features you need while keeping the focus on delivering an elegant, smooth, and well polished experience. PAX delivers a set of unique features, like a systemwide font engine that also allows for applying fonts on user apps while supporting user fonts through custom APKs generated on fonts.carbonrom.org. We are confident you'll love it, and there's many more things to discover ;)

Disclaimer:
      While we make every effort to test these builds as much as possible, we are not responsible for anything that may happen to your device, family, pets, or perception of reality. We ask that you do your part to know your device and know how to recover from problems before you flash! As always, make sure to do backups.

Support:
      We spend an astonishing amount of time developing this software. We can't spend much time on XDA as a result, so if you need support, please try the following:

1) Search. Search, search, search. Yes, you. I don't care how unique or important your question is, it's very likely someone has adressed it already. Especially if you're even close to new at this.
      2) Read our FAQ, which can be found on our website. Carbon FAQ
      3) Ask a question in your device forum. Someone will no doubt try to help you. Warning: this help may come in the form of telling you it's a dumb question that has been asked before. See step 1 - such are the perils of asking questions when you haven't done the research yourself. Android is about helping yourself.
      4) Join our Discord server or Telegram group! There, you can connect with other Carbon users and our developers, and you can get quicker responses to your bug reports. The invite link is right below.

Download
      Join the CarbonROM Discord server
      Meet us on Telegram
      Homepage
      GitHub
      Kernel source

Remember, every penny you send to us goes right back into the rom. It's used for hardware, server costs, etc - all the things that help us make Carbon better with every release. Your support means the world to us! If you've enjoyed Carbon, please consider a donation toward this goal. Thank you, and we hope you continue to enjoy Carbon!

XDA:DevDB Information
      CarbonROM, ROM for the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact

Contributors
      Myself5, CarbonROM
      Source Code: https://github.com/CarbonROM

ROM OS Version: Android 10
      ROM Kernel: Linux 3.x
      Based On: AOSP

Version Information

Created 2020-02-08
      Last Updated 2020-05-06
      Hum this new OP looks interesting.

And what is this Twitter Post?

And did someone say May Security Patches?
      My feedback about CR8.0 (weekly build 20200513-0206) with gapps pico, magisk 20.4 and ~75 user apps.
      Using TWRP 3.3.1-z3c-20191212-sar from here
      Xposed (RiRu 20.2 from magisk repo, EdXposed-YAHFA-v0.4.6.2.4529 from here) works without problems (1st screenshot).
      I'm not using internal data encryption because of compatibility problems between ROMs/versions, tired to restore backups each time I flash new ROM.
      About 700MB of RAM free just after boot, with stock launcher.
      Battery drain fast, but my battery is very old, no complain.

Pros:
      + reliably fast
      + everything works including GPS, BT, calls/data, hotspot and all my apps
      + no problems with audio routing and mic sensitivity
      + camera is ok but I use OpenCamera anyway

Cons/bugs:
      - still no 5ghz wifi in Russia (I use my magisk-patch to fix this, may also help with other regions, try if you meet this bug)
      - ongoing call can be hanged accidentally by double-tap in any place of turned off display (e.g. by cheek) if tap-to-wake feature is active (here is my workaround using Automate tool, works like a charm). I'm not sure if this bug belongs only to my phone or to any z3c, but it was like forever on any AOSP-based ROM, starting with Android 7.
      - broken size for "Aeroplane mode" button/icon in power menu (see 2nd screenshot)
      - ringtone sound become a bit quieter after half a second from start of incoming call
      - overall loudspeakers volume is not loud enough

Features I'd like to have in this ROM:
      1) choose clock position in statusbar (only at left in CR8.0)
      2) brightness control by sliding in statusbar without opening it
      3) mess up digits on the PIN unlock screen [Carbone Fibers > Buttons > Scramble PIN]
      4) unlock instantly when entering last digit without confirmation
      5) long press power button to turn on/off torch while display turned off [Carbone Fibers > Buttons > Toggle torch]
      6) restrict/disable power menu while phone locked
      7) disable notification panel while phone locked
      8) set minimal time between notifications on per app basis
      9) wake by volume rocker buttons
      10) increasing ringing volume
      11) debugging over network (settings in devs options, absent in CR)
      Most of this stuff available in LOS and AEX roms, but also all (except: 7,10,11, with bugs: 6) can be achieved in CR by using GravityBox xposed module.

Due to reports of complications with Google Apps we pulled the PAX builds for Z3 and Z3 Compact. I'm working on a fix and hope to release fixed builds ASAP.

If you had any weird issues, then that's why. Sorry for that.

When those builds get released however, they STILL require a clean install over CR-6.1. Dirty flashing does not work.

We found and fixed the cause. Builds for the Z3 and Z3 Compact are in the process of getting re-released. Sorry for the issues.
      New build uploaded just now has the SetupWizard fixed. The lockscreen bug is getting looked into right now.
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone