[10][OFFICIAL] CarbonROM | cr-8.0 [z3c]

Search This thread

fotofaningo

Aug 6, 2009
TWRP flashed to the FOTAKernel partition can only be accessed by hardware means. Starting with the phone powered off, hold both the power and the volume down buttons. When the phone vibrates (as if it was being turned on), release the power button; when the screen lights up, release the volume down button.

Sent from my Sony E5823 using XDA Labs

Thanks for response! I think the rooting process before failt. I did the whole procedure once more and now it's all ok :highfive:

Reactions: casouzaj
Cr-8.0 or Android 10 must have drilled some holes into the battery of my phone.
Lost 30% of capacity in 8 hrs over night only in standby. Didn't open any app and not only one background task was running.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200520-062801_Einstellungen.png
    Screenshot_20200520-062801_Einstellungen.png
    76 KB · Views: 162
Reactions: okij and pawloland

e719e

May 20, 2020
Cr-8.0 or Android 10 must have drilled some holes into the battery of my phone.
Lost 30% of capacity in 8 hrs over night only in standby. Didn't open any app and not only one background task was running.

I also had this situation. The upgrade from 6.1 to 8.0 ended with an unusable result, so I installed it on a cleaned (all wiped and data formated) phone. Everything started working, but the battery quickly drained even in power save mode. I tried to disable many options, but it didn't work. Then I flashed the newer twrp-3.3.1-z3c-20191212-sar.img (was 3.3.0 and not "sar") and tried to install LineageOS 17.1 for z3c. Everything worked and the battery discharged that with CarbonROM cr-6.1 [z3c] - slow. Then I installed CarbonROM 8.0 on a cleaned (all wiped and data formated) phone cr-8.0 [z3c] and everything is beautiful for me. Discharge 2 percent in three hours a night.

After a few days........
The quick battery discharge is back and I can't resolve it. I returned to CB6.1

Last edited:
Reactions: okij and oimaraf

Hooin Kyoma

Jun 23, 2012
Hello guys I wrote my full review/experience using this ROM at post #2, if anyone interested. Most of bugs seems fixed since I try it first time (still lack of some cool features out of the box though, comparing to LOS). Big thanks to @Myself5 !

pawloland

Jan 23, 2019
Sony Xperia 5 II
My feedback about CR8.0 (weekly build 20200513-0206) with gapps pico, magisk 20.4 and ~75 user apps.
Using TWRP 3.3.1-z3c-20191212-sar from here
Xposed (RiRu 20.2 from magisk repo, EdXposed-YAHFA-v0.4.6.2.4529 from here) works without problems (1st screenshot).
I'm not using internal data encryption because of compatibility problems between ROMs/versions, tired to restore backups each time I flash new ROM.
About 700MB of RAM free just after boot, with stock launcher.
Battery drain fast, but my battery is very old, no complain.

Pros:
+ reliably fast
+ everything works including GPS, BT, calls/data, hotspot and all my apps
+ no problems with audio routing and mic sensitivity
+ camera is ok but I use OpenCamera anyway

Cons/bugs:
- still no 5ghz wifi in Russia (I use my magisk-patch to fix this, may also help with other regions, try if you meet this bug)
- ongoing call can be hanged accidentally by double-tap in any place of turned off display (e.g. by cheek) if tap-to-wake feature is active (here is my workaround using Automate tool, works like a charm). I'm not sure if this bug belongs only to my phone or to any z3c, but it was like forever on any AOSP-based ROM, starting with Android 7.
- broken size for "Aeroplane mode" button/icon in power menu (see 2nd screenshot)
- ringtone sound become a bit quieter after half a second from start of incoming call (bug or feature?)
- overall loudspeakers volume is not loud enough

Features I'd like to have in this ROM:
1) choose clock position in statusbar (only at left in CR8.0)
2) brightness control by sliding in statusbar without opening it
3) mess up digits on the PIN unlock screen
4) unlock instantly when entering last digit without confirmation
5) long press power button to turn on/off torch while display turned off
6) restrict/disable power menu while phone locked
7) disable notification panel while phone locked
8) set minimal time between notifications on per app basis
9) wake by volume rocker buttons
10) increasing ringing volume
11) debugging over network (settings in devs options, absent in CR)
Most of this stuff available in LOS and AEX roms, but also all (except: 7,10,11, with bugs: 6) can be achieved in CR by using GravityBox xposed module.

Thank you @Myself5 for continue work with our lovely z3c.

Those two last bugs that you mentioned were bugs in LOS 16 and maybe 17 made by @NeoArian. I am not github guy, so I don't know what exact commit it was, but it was bug for ages and there were a lot of changes in code regarding audio stuff until it was finally fixed.
Also the fourth feature that you would like to have, was removed from AOSP and is missing since Android Nougat times, because of security concerns. It was/is dangerous because when user have - lets say 4 digit pin - and passes to many digits while unlocking the phone, it stops accepting them right after the 4th digit is passed. This behavior gives information about pin length to potential thief. It narrows down the range of possible pin codes combinations which unlock device.

Hooin Kyoma

Jun 23, 2012
Those two last bugs that you mentioned were bugs in LOS 16 and maybe 17 made by @NeoArian. I am not github guy, so I don't know what exact commit it was, but it was bug for ages and there were a lot of changes in code regarding audio stuff until it was finally fixed.
Hmm... I was on LOS 17.1 (prior to CR 8.0), and sound volume (ringtone and alarm) felt a bit louder there. May be it's just my personal impression, not sure... I will not backup/restore just to test this.
Also the fourth feature that you would like to have, was removed from AOSP and is missing since Android Nougat times, because of security concerns. It was/is dangerous because when user have - lets say 4 digit pin - and passes to many digits while unlocking the phone, it stops accepting them right after the 4th digit is passed. This behavior gives information about pin length to potential thief. It narrows down the range of possible pin codes combinations which unlock device.
But with GravityBox it not stops accepting digits after last one (if some of entered digits wrong) - I just checked. So thief will not know the lenght. AOSP devs could have fix it instead of removing.

Reactions: okij

Myself5

Recognized Developer
Mar 17, 2011
myself5.de
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Sony Xperia Z3v
But with GravityBox it not stops accepting digits after last one (if some of entered digits wrong) - I just checked. So thief will not know the lenght. AOSP devs could have fix it instead of removing.

That is by far a lot worse. Without the system going into a "this is wrong" state theres never a situation in which to reach "too many false attempts" allowing for easy bruteforcing of the PIN without any penalty.

As for your feature requests: both, PIN scrambling as well as longpressing the powerbutton for the torch already exist.

Hooin Kyoma

Jun 23, 2012
That is by far a lot worse. Without the system going into a "this is wrong" state theres never a situation in which to reach "too many false attempts" allowing for easy bruteforcing of the PIN without any penalty.
Well, I just entered wrong PIN (random digits and press ENTER) 4 times and got penalty (see screenshot). It looks like GravityBox somehow ignore this "penalty" ONLY if you enter PIN without enter (confirmation button). For successfull bruteforcing thief should know that I could using this feature in my phone (and this is possible only if thief is friend of mine, who I told about this feature, or he is also reading this thread and has physical access to my phone, or he's goddamn genius... looks like almost impossible situations :)) And in my case (Im not using encryption atm) genius-thief can easily access my data without bruteforcing anything :D

As for your feature requests: both, PIN scrambling as well as longpressing the powerbutton for the torch already exist.
Oh, yep, sorry my fault. Updated my review.

Btw, can anyone confirm this bug in latest CR8 or it's only to me: ringtone sound in Settings is louder than same ringtone when I get incoming call?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200522-155301.png
    Screenshot_20200522-155301.png
    200.5 KB · Views: 385

0LDST4R

May 2, 2018
LE/Germany
Is anyone able to play NFS no Limits on our Z3C with Android 10? I tried both, CR and LOS 17.1 - no success. I tried nearly everything, game installs fine from Playstore or sideload, Google Play connects correctly, all required data is downloaded trough the game. Game starts, you can do everything, buy parts and so on. The problems start when you'll look into your garage. The cars don't load complete, game crashes without message, but NOT allways. Same happens when you'll start a race, in 1 of about 6 or 7 tries the race is loaded and you can drive, means you need many tries to get into the race, otherwise game crashes again.

I tried:

* with root
* with hiding the game by magisk hide
* without hiding the game by magisk hide
* without root
* with extsd inserted
* without extsd inserted
* with extsd inserted and data in intsd OR extsd
* in dev options tried the various gaming modes
* installed an older apk ( apk mirror ) and updated trough Playstore
* changed i/o scheduler and values
* changed cpu governor and values
* disabled zram/swap
* enlarged zram/swap
* took the game data and cache files from Android 9
* changed graphic settings with the "NLGFX tool"
* killed other apps before starting the game
* limited cpu frequency to prevent an overheating problem

I think that's all i've tried. How i wrote above, sometimes the race is loaded, but in most cases not. When you fortunately could drive a race it's impossible to race a second race. In very rare cases the race loads, but the graphics are ( i'd say ) half broken, your hud is visible, a few lights are visible, but the rest isn't there, no car, no buildings, no streets, no mountains, 95 % black screen.

I think there's a problem with the cached files, the game isn't able to load these data into the race OR the garage, OR the modshop to show these graphics. I'm out of ideas now, it's making me crazy because i don't find a working solution. It makes no difference if i'm on CR or LOS 17.1, any help or tips are welcome.

Jimmy2k3

Jun 2, 2009
Yo rom works great so far. Just installed today. Except for some reason I cant pull down my status bar when phone is unlocked in vertical mode. When the phone is locked pulling down status bar works. Anyone got a fix for that? I did a format before upgrading from Los 16.

mister_r

May 28, 2010
Hi all,

just switched over to this ROM from LOS 17.1.

Major props to you guys, my last two issues (GPS and echo during calls) are now finally resolved. That means my Z3C is my daily driver again.

Thank you so, so much :)

mrmartischmi

Apr 30, 2010
Gießen
Dear guys,

thanks for you effort in building this ROM.

Did a clean install and everything worked fine, except main camera.
Selfie cam worked fine, but main camera did not, only showed black picture.
Tried with built in cam software and OpenCamera as well - same result.

Flashed LOS17.1 - everything worked fine as well as both cameras, no problems here.

Best regards.

Dear guys,

thanks for you effort in building this ROM.

Did a clean install and everything worked fine, except main camera.
Selfie cam worked fine, but main camera did not, only showed black picture.
Tried with built in cam software and OpenCamera as well - same result.

Flashed LOS17.1 - everything worked fine as well as both cameras, no problems here.

Best regards.
Dirty flashed today´s build over the 0527 one. No problems with the back camera here, in any of those releases.

fotofaningo

Aug 6, 2009
No deep sleep after blootooth enabled

You`re rom works very fine, I'm using it since may! Thank you!
I've only one issue (using actual build from 20200617).
After I enable bluetooth the phone isn't going into deep sleep nomore, because of kernel wakelocks 'BTLowPower'. Also after disable bluetooth. Only restart the phone helps. Any tips?

0LDST4R

May 2, 2018
LE/Germany
You`re rom works very fine, I'm using it since may! Thank you!
I've only one issue (using actual build from 20200617).
After I enable bluetooth the phone isn't going into deep sleep nomore, because of kernel wakelocks 'BTLowPower'. Also after disable bluetooth. Only restart the phone helps. Any tips?

Known bug since stock KK and LP in various devices, i noticed this in LOS 16 too. Nothing you can do, even SONY did not fixed this ( or care ;) ) You can google for it, you'll find some results...

Last edited:
Reactions: fotofaningo

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    uK2Q5sA.png

CarbonROM is an aftermarket firmware based on the Android Open Source Project. We are dedicated to fast, stable, and feature-filled ROMs, honesty and communication with our users, and openness with our code. We like frequent builds, with the very latest and greatest hardware support and fixes. We strive to not only provide you with the best ROM we can build, but also to give back to the Android community and our fellow developers. For us, this is about creating something we can be proud of and hope you will enjoy.

Please feel free to look, build, and use our code at CarbonROM's GitHub...

What is PAX?
    Our release of Android 10, titled CR-8.0, is codenamed PAX after the latin word for peace and Pax, the roman godess for peace.
    PAX provides you with the features you need while keeping the focus on delivering an elegant, smooth, and well polished experience. PAX delivers a set of unique features, like a systemwide font engine that also allows for applying fonts on user apps while supporting user fonts through custom APKs generated on fonts.carbonrom.org. We are confident you'll love it, and there's many more things to discover ;)

Disclaimer:
    While we make every effort to test these builds as much as possible, we are not responsible for anything that may happen to your device, family, pets, or perception of reality. We ask that you do your part to know your device and know how to recover from problems before you flash! As always, make sure to do backups.

Support:
    We spend an astonishing amount of time developing this software. We can't spend much time on XDA as a result, so if you need support, please try the following:

1) Search. Search, search, search. Yes, you. I don't care how unique or important your question is, it's very likely someone has adressed it already. Especially if you're even close to new at this.
    2) Read our FAQ, which can be found on our website. Carbon FAQ
    3) Ask a question in your device forum. Someone will no doubt try to help you. Warning: this help may come in the form of telling you it's a dumb question that has been asked before. See step 1 - such are the perils of asking questions when you haven't done the research yourself. Android is about helping yourself.
    4) Join our Discord server or Telegram group! There, you can connect with other Carbon users and our developers, and you can get quicker responses to your bug reports. The invite link is right below.

Download
    Join the CarbonROM Discord server
    Meet us on Telegram
    Homepage
    GitHub
    Kernel source

Remember, every penny you send to us goes right back into the rom. It's used for hardware, server costs, etc - all the things that help us make Carbon better with every release. Your support means the world to us! If you've enjoyed Carbon, please consider a donation toward this goal. Thank you, and we hope you continue to enjoy Carbon!

XDA:DevDB Information
    CarbonROM, ROM for the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact

Contributors
    Myself5, CarbonROM
    Source Code: https://github.com/CarbonROM

ROM OS Version: Android 10
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.x
    Based On: AOSP

Version Information

Created 2020-02-08
    Last Updated 2020-05-06
    Hum this new OP looks interesting.

And what is this Twitter Post?

And did someone say May Security Patches?
    New build uploaded just now has the SetupWizard fixed. The lockscreen bug is getting looked into right now.
    My feedback about CR8.0 (weekly build 20200513-0206) with gapps pico, magisk 20.4 and ~75 user apps.
    Using TWRP 3.3.1-z3c-20191212-sar from here
    Xposed (RiRu 20.2 from magisk repo, EdXposed-YAHFA-v0.4.6.2.4529 from here) works without problems (1st screenshot).
    I'm not using internal data encryption because of compatibility problems between ROMs/versions, tired to restore backups each time I flash new ROM.
    About 700MB of RAM free just after boot, with stock launcher.
    Battery drain fast, but my battery is very old, no complain.

Pros:
    + reliably fast
    + everything works including GPS, BT, calls/data, hotspot and all my apps
    + no problems with audio routing and mic sensitivity
    + camera is ok but I use OpenCamera anyway

Cons/bugs:
    - still no 5ghz wifi in Russia (I use my magisk-patch to fix this, may also help with other regions, try if you meet this bug)
    - ongoing call can be hanged accidentally by double-tap in any place of turned off display (e.g. by cheek) if tap-to-wake feature is active (here is my workaround using Automate tool, works like a charm). I'm not sure if this bug belongs only to my phone or to any z3c, but it was like forever on any AOSP-based ROM, starting with Android 7.
    - broken size for "Aeroplane mode" button/icon in power menu (see 2nd screenshot)
    - ringtone sound become a bit quieter after half a second from start of incoming call
    - overall loudspeakers volume is not loud enough

Features I'd like to have in this ROM:
    1) choose clock position in statusbar (only at left in CR8.0)
    2) brightness control by sliding in statusbar without opening it
    3) mess up digits on the PIN unlock screen [Carbone Fibers > Buttons > Scramble PIN]
    4) unlock instantly when entering last digit without confirmation
    5) long press power button to turn on/off torch while display turned off [Carbone Fibers > Buttons > Toggle torch]
    6) restrict/disable power menu while phone locked
    7) disable notification panel while phone locked
    8) set minimal time between notifications on per app basis
    9) wake by volume rocker buttons
    10) increasing ringing volume
    11) debugging over network (settings in devs options, absent in CR)
    Most of this stuff available in LOS and AEX roms, but also all (except: 7,10,11, with bugs: 6) can be achieved in CR by using GravityBox xposed module.

Thank you @Myself5 for continue work with our lovely z3c.
    Uploaded a new build. Contains some additional lockscreen clocks but more importantly, the PIN issue is fixed.

Code:
    f8d3b9c5519b91baba7a917d99b7f09e CARBON-CR-8.0-PAX-UNOFFICIAL-z3c-20200225-1530.zip