How To Guide 100% successfully unlock the Bootloader of your ROG Phone5/5s

Search This thread

johnny886

Sep 21, 2018
If your ROG3/ROG5/ROG5S is a CN version, but it is WW firmware when you buy it, then the Bootloader cannot be unlocked, or it prompts that the unlocking is successful, but the Bootloader is still not unlocked after restarting.

Why is it like this? Because Chinese merchants do not master the correct method of converting WW firmware, your mobile phone ISN is lost, so it cannot be unlocked. You only need to restore the correct SSN and ISN to unlock the Bootloader.

Because many people privately wrote me to ask for help, I have no way and no time to help solve them one by one, so I will share the method and let you do it yourself.

1. You must flash the ENG firmware that I released. If you flash the ENG firmware found elsewhere, your fingerprints and IMEI may be lost, and the phone cannot be used normally.
ROG5:https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...ootloader-to-modify-country-cn-to-ww.4353865/

ROG5s:https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...ootloader-to-modify-country-cn-to-ww.4353339/

2. Use the dd command to back up asuskey4 to the computer

adb shell

su

dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/asuskey4 of=/sdcard/asuskey4

adb pull /sdcard/asuskey4 (Here is the directory name of your computer, for example adb pull /sdcard/asuskey4 C:\Users\johnny886\Desktop\rog5)

3. Read the correct SSN and ISN of the mobile phone, and then write the SSN and ISN into asuskey4

adb shell getprop >device.txt

Then use notepad++ or other editing tools to open device.txt
Search SSN, copy SSN to the new text, search SSN, copy ISN to the text. Then use winhex or UltraEdit to open asuskey4, write the SSN and ISN to the correct address, SSN address: 00000000h ISN address:00000180h,
then save the file, and use the command to restore asuskey4 to the phone partition.

4. Use the dd command to restore asuskey4 to the phone

adb push ...\asuskey4 /sdcard/ ( for example adb push C:\Users\johnny886\Desktop\rog5\asuskey4 /sdcard/ )

adb shell

su

dd if=/sdcard/asuskey4 of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/asuskey4

5.Enter fastboot mode, flash the official raw WW firmware, and install the official website unlock tool after entering the system to unlock the phone.

Attachments

• asuskey4.jpg
    asuskey4.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 443
Last edited:

arjun_m4

Jul 20, 2017
Sony Xperia 1 II
Working perfectly tested and rooted. Steps are easy to follow.

1) Download the ENG firmware and flash it following the steps.

2) Then follow this post and the commands to extract asuskey4 and add ISN to the asuskey4.

3) Flash WW ROM back to the phone.

4) Use Unlock tool and then done.

Nik2424

Sep 18, 2014
This is huge! The answer everyone with Tencent WW phones were looking for! Thank you

aimsjahan

Sep 20, 2013
OnePlus X
OnePlus 5
Could anyone please elaborate step 1 (flashing the ENG firmware provided)?

My phone enters edl mode and I see port 9008 in the device manager.

What should I do next?

aimsjahan

Sep 20, 2013
OnePlus X
OnePlus 5
Can NOT flash ENG firmware..

Method # 1 : "0-update_image_EDL.bat" does not even start
Method # 2 : ERROR_UNSUPPORTED_TYPE
Method # 3 : Download Fail:FireHose Fail: FHLoader Fail: process fail

SOS guys! I am in deep sh*t!!

arjun_m4

Jul 20, 2017
Sony Xperia 1 II
Can NOT flash ENG firmware..

Method # 1 : "0-update_image_EDL.bat" does not even start
Method # 2 : ERROR_UNSUPPORTED_TYPE
Method # 3 : Download Fail:FireHose Fail: FHLoader Fail: process fail

SOS guys! I am in deep sh*t!!
Can you check if your phone is being recognized as EDL maybe the drivers are installed wrong. I can verify that the files provided works 100% and you have to use left side type c of the Asus not the bottom.

falhumai96

Jun 26, 2017
Thanks, @johnny886! Btw, can you change your post to "General" instead of "Question", and pin it to this forum so people would use it as a reference in the future?

aimsjahan

Sep 20, 2013
OnePlus X
OnePlus 5
Could you reinstall the drivers I have faced issues like this before with other Qualcomm devices. Reinstall Qualcomm drivers it should work. And remember to install with disable signature enforcement.
Appreciate your response mate! I will try again after reinstalling QCOM drivers. Could you please share that driver you are using?

Also, my PC does NOT detect ROG5 when using the official USB-C on both end cable. I have to use another cable with USB in one end and USB-C in the other end. Do you think that might be an issue?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If your ROG3/ROG5/ROG5S is a CN version, but it is WW firmware when you buy it, then the Bootloader cannot be unlocked, or it prompts that the unlocking is successful, but the Bootloader is still not unlocked after restarting.

Why is it like this? Because Chinese merchants do not master the correct method of converting WW firmware, your mobile phone ISN is lost, so it cannot be unlocked. You only need to restore the correct SSN and ISN to unlock the Bootloader.

Because many people privately wrote me to ask for help, I have no way and no time to help solve them one by one, so I will share the method and let you do it yourself.

1. You must flash the ENG firmware that I released. If you flash the ENG firmware found elsewhere, your fingerprints and IMEI may be lost, and the phone cannot be used normally.
    ROG5:https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...ootloader-to-modify-country-cn-to-ww.4353865/

ROG5s:https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...ootloader-to-modify-country-cn-to-ww.4353339/

2. Use the dd command to back up asuskey4 to the computer

adb shell

su

dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/asuskey4 of=/sdcard/asuskey4

adb pull /sdcard/asuskey4 (Here is the directory name of your computer, for example adb pull /sdcard/asuskey4 C:\Users\johnny886\Desktop\rog5)

3. Read the correct SSN and ISN of the mobile phone, and then write the SSN and ISN into asuskey4

adb shell getprop >device.txt

Then use notepad++ or other editing tools to open device.txt
    Search SSN, copy SSN to the new text, search SSN, copy ISN to the text. Then use winhex or UltraEdit to open asuskey4, write the SSN and ISN to the correct address, SSN address: 00000000h ISN address:00000180h,
    then save the file, and use the command to restore asuskey4 to the phone partition.

4. Use the dd command to restore asuskey4 to the phone

adb push ...\asuskey4 /sdcard/ ( for example adb push C:\Users\johnny886\Desktop\rog5\asuskey4 /sdcard/ )

adb shell

su

dd if=/sdcard/asuskey4 of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/asuskey4

5.Enter fastboot mode, flash the official raw WW firmware, and install the official website unlock tool after entering the system to unlock the phone.

2) Then follow this post and the commands to extract asuskey4 and add ISN to the asuskey4.

by far one of the best contributions of the forum, I don't usually comment, but I had to thank you

yes,very easy
    My ROG5 is being shown in Device Manager as Qualcomm 9008. So I guess it has entered in EDL mode.
    Could you reinstall the drivers I have faced issues like this before with other Qualcomm devices. Reinstall Qualcomm drivers it should work. And remember to install with disable signature enforcement.