100MB-150MB ramhack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

coolbho3000

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Dec 26, 2008
This is a quick blurb that will make a lot of people happy. Remember the ramhack for the G1? Well, the Nexus One only has 218MB memory available to Linux, despite having a whopping 512MB total. Even the Motorola Droid, with 256MB total, has more RAM available to Linux! I asked about this, and romainguy explained on the Android IRC channel:

<coolbho3k> How can the Droid have 256MB of RAM but 230+MB memfree, while the Nexus has 512MB RAM but only 218MB memfree?
<@romainguy_> there's a limitation in the kernel
<@romainguy_> next update should give you 100 or 150 MB back :p
<coolbho3k> Very nice!!!
<@romainguy_> swetland can tell you more

There we go. A "memhack" kernel update in the next Nexus One OTA should give us an additional 100-150MB RAM. Who wants to try to compile a kernel that does this now?

Last edited:

DMaverick50

May 1, 2009
San Antonio, Tx
That is awesome, I was so happy to have 512 mb RAM it sucks to hear they dont use half of it, glad to hear they plan to fix that. So this thing is going to be even smoother? Also, we are talking about an official ota from google correct? I wonder why they released it with the limitation...

Last edited:

parrot5

Feb 7, 2008
This is a quick blurb that will make a lot of people happy. Remember the ramhack for the G1? Well, the Nexus One only has 218MB memory available to Linux, despite having a whopping 512MB total. Even the Motorola Droid, with 256MB total, has more RAM available to Linux! I asked about this, and romainguy explained on the Android IRC channel:

There we go. A "memhack" kernel update in the next Nexus One OTA should give us an additional 100-150MB RAM. Who wants to try to compile a kernel that does this now?

Is this like the PS3 where, at launch, they reserved more ram for its OS. Then they released more back to apps (games) with firmware updates :D Anyway, good news to everyone!

shwan_3

Aug 14, 2008
gothenburg
well, what we do want the RAM for, yah for the OS than APPS but whats the deference between the OS and APPs ? well it is complicated as every APP will be running inside a VM made and managed by the OS
What I think : it doesn't matter, we want a good working OS that's fast and nice not free RAM ,that's just there not to be used for any good. If they at Google change it let them do that!

melterx12

Dec 6, 2009
New York City
more RAM = less often apps have to be killed to make space for newly launched apps = less processing killing those apps and also more apps stored on memory for quick on-demand launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    No, you just don't understand what you are talking about. Now just let this thread die.