• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[11.0][OFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for Oneplus 5 & 5T

Search This thread

DaniRainbow

Nov 10, 2015
Hello,

I was on LineageOS 17.1 and decided it was time to go to 18.1 so I followed the instructions here and when I am doing the sideload for the OS, I get to 47% and a "*failed to read command:" in the ADB command prompt. On the phone it says that the task was successful with a result of 1.0

I sideloaded the GApps for the same date as the nightly build, but I am not able to start my phone. LineageOS states there was an issue and that I can try again or factory reset. This is my second attempt and it won't go.

Any advice or suggestions? Thank you!

DaniRainbow

Nov 10, 2015
Did you update to the latest firmware? Have you factory reset/formatted data?
Yes, the latest firmware is installed. I factory reset after backing up my data to my computer and tried to install Lineage OS 18.1 as a clean install. Each time it failed I factory reset/ formatted data.

EDIT: In the meantime, I just reverted back to 17.1 using the same process and it worked immediately.

Last edited:

madman

Apr 21, 2011
Planet Earth
OnePlus 5
OnePlus 6
Yes, the latest firmware is installed. I factory reset after backing up my data to my computer and tried to install Lineage OS 18.1 as a clean install. Each time it failed I factory reset/ formatted data.

EDIT: In the meantime, I just reverted back to 17.1 using the same process and it worked immediately.
If you have backup of all files that you need and don't mind factory resets, have you tried wiping system/data before sideloading the 18.1 (I use TWRP so that's an option, I don't remember if LOS recovery has that option). I know opengapps are now marked as compatible but I would still got with MindTheGapps as that was originally tested by everyone in LOS and opengapps tends to break things occasionally on their builds.

DaniRainbow

Nov 10, 2015
If you have backup of all files that you need and don't mind factory resets, have you tried wiping system/data before sideloading the 18.1 (I use TWRP so that's an option, I don't remember if LOS recovery has that option). I know opengapps are now marked as compatible but I would still got with MindTheGapps as that was originally tested by everyone in LOS and opengapps tends to break things occasionally on their builds.
I performed a factory reset/wipe of data, and then in LOS recovery it has an option to wipe the system partition and one to wipe the cache. The cache is done when I choose the factory reset/wipe of data. Would doing the wipe of system data mean I need to reflash a recovery?

I did try MindTheGapps but sadly I get the same result. Currently, I'm running the last build of 17.1 and a PICO version of GApps that was released before the OS.

madman

Apr 21, 2011
Planet Earth
OnePlus 5
OnePlus 6
I performed a factory reset/wipe of data, and then in LOS recovery it has an option to wipe the system partition and one to wipe the cache. The cache is done when I choose the factory reset/wipe of data. Would doing the wipe of system data mean I need to reflash a recovery?

I did try MindTheGapps but sadly I get the same result. Currently, I'm running the last build of 17.1 and a PICO version of GApps that was released before the OS.

system partition is where as name suggests system files (what LOS would be going to put up) are. Cleaning this might remove any problematic files. Wiping system will not remove recovery (recovery gets its own partition). Also I'm sure you know this but you do need to flash gapps before booting the system.

So I would suggest doing this.
1. Boot to recovery
2. Wipe data + system
3. Sideload LOS zip file
4. Sideload MindTheGapps
5. Now reboot to system

In case you somehow remove recovery, you can boot recovery temporarily using the img file from fastboot.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaniRainbow

DaniRainbow

Nov 10, 2015
system partition is where as name suggests system files (what LOS would be going to put up). Cleaning this might remove any problematic files. Wiping system will not remove recovery (recovery gets its own partition). Also I'm sure you know this but you do need to flash gapps before booting the system.

So I would suggest doing this.
1. Boot to recovery
2. Wipe data + system
3. Sideload LOS zip file
4. Sideload MindTheGapps
5. Now reboot to system

In case you somehow remove recovery, you can boot recovery from the img file from fastboot.
Wiping that system partition was the secret sauce. I used the same LOS 18.1 build and MindtheGApps build as before and it booted first time, easy peesy.

I owe you a drink. Thank you, my friend! I'm very excited to finally give this Android 11 a try on LOS 18.1.

madman

Apr 21, 2011
Planet Earth
OnePlus 5
OnePlus 6
Hello,

I'm wondering why you recommend specifically MindTheGapps ?
Is there any advice against https://bitgapps.github.io/ for instance ?

Thanks!
Most of the early LOS18.1 builds were tested against MindTheGapps as opengapps was not ready at that time. First time heard about bitgapps. Is there something really special about those that MindTheGapps or Open Gapps don't offer? Those are system applications that have higher permissions, you should only get those from very trusted sources which MTG and OpenGapps that LOS recommends and tests against. Will BitGapps work? Maybe. Should you download low level system apps from random or new sources? Probably not.

Reactions: coben90

Chris57601

Dec 12, 2017
Hello everybody,

I'm actually on xXx_NoLimits_12.4 and I would like to know if I just to follow instructions or I must to do something before? And if someone has already tested both of roms, there is some difference between those?

Thank you ūüėä

Ssmiles

Nov 19, 2015
France

Last edited:

T1mb3

Feb 14, 2016

OpenGAPPS don't test their releases while doing daily updates, which is why they may be broken quite often.

debby_

Jan 14, 2011
Huge battery draw after charging. Any idea?
Reboot and vipe dalwik/cache twrp helping but only to next charging

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Same here. This has been going on for some weeks now. Before that (September/October) the ROM was achieving more like 2.5 days of battery life.
    It simply doesn't enter deep sleep (this is over night, ignore the updater as that is happening the last two minutes only):

Same issue with me, the battery drains very rapidly. I'm going to try going back to an older build.

Also, my phone no longer rings when getting phone calls so I don't know I have someone calling me until a get a voicemail notification. Outgoing calls work fine.

No such issues here using cheeseburger running build of 20211122 (before 20211108 and 20211011) and NikGApps core. Battery lasting most of the time more than 2 days with my regular use pattern.
    OK. Looks like - Dec 6 build fixed problem.
    OK. Looks like - Dec 6 build fixed problem.
    I'm still getting battery drain.

Can other confirm it's fixed?
    I'm still getting battery drain.

Can other confirm it's fixed?
    I also experienced an abnormal battery drain with all builds after the 6th of December.
    Reverting to that build "fixes" it. If I were you I'd at least download a copy of it before it disappears from the official servers.

OT: I also noticed 2 more issues (these have been around for a while).
    1) the "state machine" behind the earpiece/loudspeaker toggle gets messy at times and after a call in which I go from, e.g. speaker to loudspeaker, I cannot go back to speaker and all subsequent calls only use the loudspeaker from then on. This affects also other apps (e.g. music player/newpipe only emitting audio through the earpiece).
    I only found 3 workarounds:
    i) use the phone dialer, start a call and quickly toggle the loudspeaker on/off before the tone goes off, and immediately terminate the call;
    ii) plug/unplug the audio jack;
    iii) reboot the phone.

2) this might very well be unrelated, but when I make a call using Signal while on 4G, very often (but not always!) the callee cannot hear me if I was the one to place the call (I can hear them OK). If they call me instead, there are no issues. Everything works when the call is started while using the WiFi.

I'm sharing the above 2 issues here in case anyone else has experienced them: if that's the case I can put together a proper bug report.
    2okPze5.png

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review.

Code:
    /*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    */

HOW TO INSTALL LINEAGEOS:
    - Official instructions
    - In short: sideload in Lineage recovery (suggested) / flash in TWRP

HOW TO UPDATE LINEAGEOS:
    - Download update from Updater app
    - Install update

DOWNLOADS:
    LineageOS 18.1: Official Oneplus 5, Official Oneplus 5T
    Google Apps: MindTheGapps
    Recovery: Suggested: Lineage recovery for Oneplus 5, Oneplus 5T | Alternative: TWRP

DEVELOPER RESOURCES
    LineageOS source code:
    - https://github.com/LineageOS
    Device tree:
    - android_device_oneplus_cheeseburger
    - android_device_oneplus_dumpling
    - android_device_oneplus_msm8998-common
    Kernel:
    - android_kernel_oneplus_msm8998

Android version: Android 11
    Kernel version: Linux 4.4.y
    Required firmware: OxygenOS 10.0.1 (shipped with ROM, no need to install manually)

Telegram group: https://t.me/los_op5
    LineageOS 18.1 is now released for officially supported devices:
    Upgrade guide from official to official: https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/cheeseburger/upgrade
    Upgrade guide from unofficial to official:
    - Wipe data
    - Install LineageOS & GAPPS

Unsupported method:
    Migration tools by Codeworkx: https://androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=254680 (Unofficial->Official, Official->Unofficial)
    - Flash before updating
    - Read more: https://wiki.lineageos.org/signing_builds.html#test-keys-to-official-or-vice-versa

NOTE: If you previously had any Google Apps add-on package installed on your device, you must install an updated package before the first boot of Android! If you did not have Google Apps installed, you must wipe the Data partition (or perform a factory reset) to install them.
    UPDATE:
    * Synced LineageOS sources
    * EAS is here to stay
    * Upstreamed kernel to 4.4.258
    * More detailed changelog

Download for Oneplus 5 or Oneplus 5T.
    UPDATE:
    * Synced LineageOS sources
    * Fix USB file transfer
    * Kernel: Merge tag 'LA.UM.9.2.r1-02500-SDMxx0.0' of https://source.codeaurora.org/quic/la/kernel/msm-4.4 into HEAD
    * Removed some 30 mb of unused camera blobs
    * Detailed changelog

Download for Oneplus 5 or Oneplus 5T.