Development [11][OFFICIAL] CarbonROM | cr-9.0 [lemonadep]

Search This thread

loulondono

Jan 23, 2018
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9 Pro
Just to make sure I understand the flashing instructions, I flash the 2 boot files provided with fastboot, then go to my new recovery and flash carbon. It's at this point I'm completely lost: do I reboot recovery and switch slots, then flash carbon again, then reboot and flash gapps and then reboot again and gapps? I thought micro g was just for youtube vanced, do I need a zip of that as well? Where does the aforementioned copy partitions script come into play? Do I then do carbon, script, gapps, script, or flash CR and gapps then the script? Is a reboot necessary when using the script, or do I do 2 in order to get back onto the same partition. I'm sorry this is probably something that is very clear in your instructions and I'm just missing it entirely, but I'd rather double check as I am unsure of the procedure and the penalty for messing up are high. I'm giving up with OOS and remember thinking carbon ROM was great when I had it on my 6t, but it was a right bugger to install. Thanks

loulondono

Jan 23, 2018
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9 Pro
Also seeing as I'm so lost I might as well ask another question: magisk. It's no longer in a zip format, instead batching a boot image, but from a custom ROM how do I go about doing that? I downloaded the temp boot.img from XDA to root OOS but I can't imagine that would work on different software

aalmosawi

Feb 18, 2016
Does double tap to wake and lift to wake work?
These two are crucial for me.

Also, why do we need to flash a different vendor image?

Myself5

Recognized Developer
Mar 17, 2011
myself5.de
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Sony Xperia Z3v
Just to make sure I understand the flashing instructions, I flash the 2 boot files provided with fastboot, then go to my new recovery and flash carbon. It's at this point I'm completely lost: do I reboot recovery and switch slots, then flash carbon again, then reboot and flash gapps and then reboot again and gapps? I thought micro g was just for youtube vanced, do I need a zip of that as well? Where does the aforementioned copy partitions script come into play? Do I then do carbon, script, gapps, script, or flash CR and gapps then the script? Is a reboot necessary when using the script, or do I do 2 in order to get back onto the same partition. I'm sorry this is probably something that is very clear in your instructions and I'm just missing it entirely, but I'd rather double check as I am unsure of the procedure and the penalty for messing up are high. I'm giving up with OOS and remember thinking carbon ROM was great when I had it on my 6t, but it was a right bugger to install. Thanks

You boot to recovery and flash carbon. You then reboot to recovery and flash GApps. No further reboots or anything.

MicroG is an optional replacement for GApps. Neither are necessary, they are listed in the instructions as optional if the user desires to use either. No need to flash MicroG after GApps or at all.

Copy Partitions would be something you want to do before installing Carbon to ensure the stock rom is the same on both slots. Alternatively you could use stock, get the latest stock zip from XDA, then use Oxygens builtin updater to manually flash the latest zip, then reboot and do the same once more and you're ready.

See this starting with step 10 on how to install a local update.

The reason reboots and all that stuff are required is because those will automatically switch your active slot. If you install an update, it will be installed to the inactive slot and the slot will be marked as active after a successful install. The reboot will then boot that newly installed update. In case of stock you'd then still want to update the old (now inactive) slot so you install the local update again, making you end up with the same version on both slots.

GApps however install to the currently active slot, which is why you need to reboot between ROM and GApps Install. Overall the process is as following:

• You are on slot A
  • You install Carbon, to inactive slot B
  • You reboot to recovery making you end up on slot B
  • You now flash GApps to the currently active slot B
  • You now have a full ROM + GApps setup on Slot B
  • Profit.

Also seeing as I'm so lost I might as well ask another question: magisk. It's no longer in a zip format, instead batching a boot image, but from a custom ROM how do I go about doing that? I downloaded the temp boot.img from XDA to root OOS but I can't imagine that would work on different software

Personally, I still use the "outdated" method of using the Custom Recovery install, simply because that allows a flash and forget OTA survival feature which allows me to just upgrade through CarbonDelta and be done without extra steps.

For the "regular" and recommended install method, use a payload extractor to get the boot.img from the flashable zip.

We are currently planning to automate uploading the boot/recovery images for recovery access as well as usage with Magisk in the future, probably alongside the release of our Android 12 builds to ease this up a little, but for now this is the way you have to go.

Does double tap to wake and lift to wake work?
These two are crucial for me.

Also, why do we need to flash a different vendor image?

Both features are supported. You don't have to flash a different vendor image, but a different vendor_boot image whichs content previously was part of a boot.img but is now split between boot and vendor boot as part of the new GKI support. Those are needed to be flashed to get the custom recovery in which you can flash the ROM.

If you want to read more about that, check Googles Documentation on vendor boot.

loulondono

Jan 23, 2018
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9 Pro
You boot to recovery and flash carbon. You then reboot to recovery and flash GApps. No further reboots or anything.

MicroG is an optional replacement for GApps. Neither are necessary, they are listed in the instructions as optional if the user desires to use either. No need to flash MicroG after GApps or at all.

Copy Partitions would be something you want to do before installing Carbon to ensure the stock rom is the same on both slots. Alternatively you could use stock, get the latest stock zip from XDA, then use Oxygens builtin updater to manually flash the latest zip, then reboot and do the same once more and you're ready.

See this starting with step 10 on how to install a local update.

The reason reboots and all that stuff are required is because those will automatically switch your active slot. If you install an update, it will be installed to the inactive slot and the slot will be marked as active after a successful install. The reboot will then boot that newly installed update. In case of stock you'd then still want to update the old (now inactive) slot so you install the local update again, making you end up with the same version on both slots.

GApps however install to the currently active slot, which is why you need to reboot between ROM and GApps Install. Overall the process is as following:

• You are on slot A
  • You install Carbon, to inactive slot B
  • You reboot to recovery making you end up on slot B
  • You now flash GApps to the currently active slot B
  • You now have a full ROM + GApps setup on Slot B
  • Profit.

Personally, I still use the "outdated" method of using the Custom Recovery install, simply because that allows a flash and forget OTA survival feature which allows me to just upgrade through CarbonDelta and be done without extra steps.

For the "regular" and recommended install method, use a payload extractor to get the boot.img from the flashable zip.

We are currently planning to automate uploading the boot/recovery images for recovery access as well as usage with Magisk in the future, probably alongside the release of our Android 12 builds to ease this up a little, but for now this is the way you have to go.

Both features are supported. You don't have to flash a different vendor image, but a different vendor_boot image whichs content previously was part of a boot.img but is now split between boot and vendor boot as part of the new GKI support. Those are needed to be flashed to get the custom recovery in which you can flash the ROM.

If you want to read more about that, check Googles Documentation on vendor boot.
Thank you for taking the time to write all that out. I got impatient and thought I'd deciphered the instructions: I was very wrong. I flashed carbon (success) then gapps (failed), reboot, carbon and gapps (both successful) and after remembering I need to wipe it seems all good. I actually ended up using software to extract the payload.bin for the boot.img to patch, that worked perfectly. Thank you so much for this ROM, I remember why I like this. I've usually stayed away from low customisation ROMs and never been a fan of lineage (no clue as to why exactly) but this is great, the speed of my phone is way better now. I've fixed the scroll stutter with some kernel manager tweaks and still need to figure out how to mitigate the slowdown/stutter when using picture in picture, but shouldn't be too hard. I do have 2 questions that come to mind that I cannot find any details on: the haptics on OOS were stronger than on CR and they felt too weak to begin with. How do I go about upping the strength? Using SetEdit didn't help and even when selecting the strength manually in gboard seems to be far more vibrate than haptic. 2: how do I select the resolution? It's not an option in display and I want to make sure I am running at 1440 (battery testing before deciding the most sensible compromise). Anyhow thank you so much for this fantastic ROM, at least as far as I've been able to test it everything works perfectly and feels so much better than stock.

loulondono

Jan 23, 2018
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9 Pro
Does anyone else know how to fix systemUI? I would have the occasional freeze/crash but I forced reboot would fix whatever was up. Now it's a near constant threat, and still like audio source switch just fails and locks device. If a log would be helpful, how might I go about getting that? Ta

Alex1911

Aug 13, 2013
OnePlus 9 Pro
Hello, i'm having a few issues.
disappering notifications (can't recreate, seems like it happens randomly)
screen flashes white for like 250ms sometimes (i'm in 120hz mode)
got a system crash / Kernel Panic today once

Are this know issues ?

loulondono

Jan 23, 2018
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9 Pro

Are this know issues ?
I get a freeze/crash on average of once a day, been happening on multiple versions of the ROM. Haven't had the other two

Myself5

Recognized Developer
Mar 17, 2011
myself5.de
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Sony Xperia Z3v
Thanks for your work. Can I find somewhere changelog of new weekly build?
Any specific updates for in OP9Pro in 26 Jan build?
You can find the changelog on carbonrom.org/changelog. Summarized, the last build had January ASBs and device specific blob+kernel updates.

Are this know issues ?
I get a freeze/crash on average of once a day, been happening on multiple versions of the ROM. Haven't had the other two
Can you share a few more information about your setup like GApps, Mods and the last stock ROM installed so that I can take a look?

loulondono

Jan 23, 2018
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9 Pro
I'm about to install the latest version now (bit of an involved process, patching to inactive slot on magisk doesn't seem to work for this ROM) but I'll update when done. I don't remember what gapps I used. I could take a screenshot of my modules, but I don't know how to share more info. How could I get the info you need?

Alex1911

Aug 13, 2013
OnePlus 9 Pro
You can find the changelog on carbonrom.org/changelog. Summarized, the last build had January ASBs and device specific blob+kernel updates.

Can you share a few more information about your setup like GApps, Mods and the last stock ROM installed so that I can take a look?
hello

installed latest OOS A11
the CarbonRom within CarbonRecovery as advised
then Magisk v23 and MicroG (made a workaround for aosp call app with tasker for missing push-notification)
for screen-flashing-issue happens somethimes when opening keyboard. Seems also likes to happen randomly elsewhere
the kernel-panic/system crash only happend once last time as i mentioned it, since using it for about 3 week straight.

Edit: Using Magisk modules: Webviev manager and Minimal MicroG (comes with MinMicrog Standart)

The missing notification issue i have also had on earlier Builds with Gapps.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    uK2Q5sA.png

CarbonROM is an aftermarket firmware based on the Android Open Source Project. We are dedicated to fast, stable, and feature-filled ROMs, honesty and communication with our users, and openness with our code. We like frequent builds, with the very latest and greatest hardware support and fixes. We strive to not only provide you with the best ROM we can build, but also to give back to the Android community and our fellow developers. For us, this is about creating something we can be proud of and hope you will enjoy.

Please feel free to look, build, and use our code at CarbonROM's GitHub...

What is R?
    Our release of Android 11, titled CR-9.0.
    It provides you with the features you need while keeping the focus on delivering an elegant, smooth, and well polished experience. R delivers a set of unique features, like a system-wide font engine that also allows for applying fonts on user apps while supporting user fonts through custom APKs generated on fonts.carbonrom.org. We are confident you'll love it, and there's many more things to discover ;)

Disclaimer:
    While we make every effort to test these builds as much as possible, we are not responsible for anything that may happen to your device, family, pets, or perception of reality. We ask that you do your part to know your device and know how to recover from problems before you flash! As always, make sure to do backups.

Support:
    We spend an astonishing amount of time developing this software. We can't spend much time on XDA as a result, so if you need support, please try the following:

1) Search. Search, search, search. Yes, you. I don't care how unique or important your question is, it's very likely someone has addressed it already. Especially if you're even close to new at this.
    2) Ask a question in your device forum. Someone will no doubt try to help you. Warning: this help may come in the form of telling you it's a dumb question that has been asked before. See step 1 - such are the perils of asking questions when you haven't done the research yourself. Android is about helping yourself.
    3) Join our Discord server or Telegram group! There, you can connect with other Carbon users and our developers, and you can get quicker responses to your bug reports. The invite link is right below.

Install Instructions:
    You should start off with the latest OxygenOS stable build on both slots and then proceed to flash Carbon.

The easiest way to do that is by installing the latest Version and then copy it by flashing the copy-partitions script made by LineageOS in the recovery. (See install Instructions for the recovery)

The recommended way to install is using the CarbonRecovery linked below.
    • Download the ROM and optionally GApps, reboot to recovery by flashing the boot and vendor_boot images using
      Code:
      fastboot flash boot lemonadep-YYYYMMDD-HHMM-boot.img
      fastboot flash vendor_boot lemonadep-YYYYMMDD-HHMM-vendor_boot.img
      followed by booting to recovery through the bootloader.
    • Sideload the ROM. (Apply Update -> Apply from ADB -> Connect to PC ->
      Code:
      adb sideload CARBON-CR-9.0-R-WEEKLY-lemonadep-YYYYMMDD-HHMM.zip
    • Reboot recovery (to switch between slots)
    • Flash GApps/MicroG through sideload like above (optional)
    • Factory reset -> Format data/factory reset (Make sure to have a backup of your data)
    • Done
    Followup builds can be updated through the builtin CarbonDelta Updater or by dirtyflashing.

Download
    Download CarbonRecovery

Homepage
    Join the CarbonROM Discord server
    Meet us on Telegram
    GitHub
    Kernel source

Remember, every penny you send to us goes right back into the rom. It's used for hardware, server costs, etc - all the things that help us make Carbon better with every release. Your support means the world to us! If you've enjoyed Carbon, please consider a donation toward this goal. Thank you, and we hope you continue to enjoy Carbon!

Hey,

is there no list of features ans improvements?
    You can check carbon rom's homepage for features.
    Stuttery scrolling is related to the 60Hz display mode. Try changing to 120Hz and it's fine. It's known and happens on most of the High-Refresh-Rate OnePlus devices across multiple ROMs but a "solution" to that is yet to be found.
    Stuttery for me as well even on 120hz mode.
    Stuttery for me as well even on 120hz mode.
    Can you share some more information on your config (e.g. GApps and such) as well as where the stuttering happens? I'll gladly take a look then. So far I can't seem to reproduce it though, and the 9 Pro is my daily driver 🤔
    Can you share some more information on your config (e.g. GApps and such) as well as where the stuttering happens? I'll gladly take a look then. So far I can't seem to reproduce it though, and the 9 Pro is my daily driver 🤔
    I was running opengapps nano, I also had the same stuttering with LineageOS so not sure if it's the gapps package that was causing it.
    The stuttering was during scrolling and it didn't matter where it always did it.