• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

128GB microSDXC card availability?

Search This thread

zmore

Apr 25, 2011
NYC
Last year SanDisk said (source: can't find it again) to expect 128GB microSDXC cards by the end of Q3 2013 (september), but, we're... still... waiting. I wonder what the holdup is?

As soon as they're spotted in the wild, I'll be buying one on day1 for the expected ~$100 asking price, which'll bring my total Note3 capacity up to 192GB(!). Also never had a corrupted card issue from SanDisk, unlike some others, so no qualms there.

And before anyone asks: Yes, 128GB is compatible with the Note3, even though the specs says only 64GB is supported. They always do that. the microSDXC spec actually supports up to 2TB, and there's no reason why the phone shouldn't be able address up to 2TB in hardware or software.

Anyway... keep an eye out folks. It'll look something like...... THIS:

71f7ipi.jpg

:)

-------------------------------------------
EDIT (5 months later): 128GB is here! Only $120 at Amazon (sold out until April 9th); or $200 MSRP at BestBuy now. Might pop up on EBay (non-scam that is) before Amazon gets it back in stock.

JT532hD.jpg

Last edited:

zmore

Apr 25, 2011
NYC
Yup, i was one of those Crazy Early Adopters, see link http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1343164
those 64GB were going for $200 from the official SanDisk website.

Then 6 month later Best Buy had them for like $80, i almost went kaput :p
so this time around I'll just wait until the prices drop before ordering the 128 GB version

Ouch :) So you got yours in November of 2011 and paid the high early adopter tax.

I didn't have a SDXC capable phone until I picked up my S3 in June 2012, and only paid... $64.49 for my 64GB sandisk off of Ebay via China. Was a good deal at the time, as the price averaged higher for a few months following as demand for SDXC picked up (thanks to S3 sales).

I'm hoping the 128GB sdxc won't be so obscenely overpriced at launch.

davidstech11

Jun 17, 2011
CA
I paid over $100 for a class 10 32GB. A year or so later they are less than half that. lol. O well, I wanted fast speeds and I got it. I just paid a hell of a lot of money at the time to get it (compared to what they cost now).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk 4

KruseLudsMobile

Sep 12, 2004
Ridgewood, NJ
www.linkedin.com
Definately interested

I am definitely interested. Building up a big library of stuff on my current 64GB and wondering how that is going to continue working for me... :( Especially since we are all stuck with 32GB of memory instead of the option for more... What about the other card providers?

Snegtul

Apr 14, 2010
Last year SanDisk said (source: can't find it again) to expect 128GB microSDXC cards by the end of Q3 2013 (september), but, we're... still... waiting. I wonder what the holdup is?

As soon as they're spotted in the wild, I'll be buying one on day1 for the expected ~$100 asking price, which'll bring my total Note3 capacity up to 192GB(!). Also never had a corrupted card issue from SanDisk, unlike some others, so no qualms there.

And before anyone asks: Yes, 128GB is compatible with the Note3, even though the specs says only 64GB is supported. They always do that. the microSDXC spec actually supports up to 2TB, and there's no reason why the phone shouldn't be able address up to 2TB in hardware or software.

Anyway... keep an eye out folks. It'll look something like...... THIS:

71f7ipi.jpg

:)

I have a 64Gb micro sd from sandisk that just NEVER worked right in my S3 or S4, works great in the Note 3.

zmore

Apr 25, 2011
NYC
I have a 64Gb micro sd from sandisk that just NEVER worked right in my S3 or S4, works great in the Note 3.

Weird. My 64GB Sandisk has been working just fine for the last year and half, in a S3 and Note3. It's formatted Fat32 instead of exFAT, though, due to early compatibility issues with ROMs and recoveries. Will be reformatting as either exFAT or ext4 depending on when CM10 for the Note3 is ready.

klau1

Jan 1, 2008
And how much larger are those SSDs than a microSD card?

have you even seen the inside of an SSD? Hint: Mostly empty space. The actual Memory chip is about the same size.

They just omit the extra high performance components (Like cache, controllers) on Micro SD packages.

Instead of putting in ONE big capacity chip = SLOW , they put a couple smaller chips So they can work FASTER in parallel

Same flash Memory technology , less Side components = more $?

Last edited:

KruseLudsMobile

Sep 12, 2004
Ridgewood, NJ
www.linkedin.com

I have the exact SanDisk card you have in your picture (64GB) and started using it in my S3, now have it in my Note 3. It has always worked perfectly. These caveats may be what helped achieve this success:

1. Never reformatted the card.

2. Never rooted either phone

3. Never took the card out unless the phone had finished turning off and was unplugged.

4. Never took the card out of the reader on my PC unless I first went into windows explorer and first selected "eject" for that drive letter, and waited until the message popped up on the desktop saying it was OK to disconnect that drive.

Sent from my Galaxy Note III; Previous owner/hacker of Galaxy S3, Galaxy Nexus, Droid X, HTC HD2, HTC Touch Pro 2, HTC Tilt, HTC 8525, O2 XDA II, O2 XDA.

@rbiter

Dec 4, 2011
have you even seen the inside of an SSD? Hint: Mostly empty space. The actual Memory chip is about the same size.

They just omit the extra high performance components (Like cache, controllers) on Micro SD packages.

Instead of putting in ONE big capacity chip = SLOW , they put a couple smaller chips So they can work FASTER in parallel

Same flash Memory technology , less Side components = more $?

You serious? Those chips are usually 8/16/32gigs and they're bigger and thicker though not a lot. Yes, you're right they work in parallel, but they need ram, controllers and a lot more energy to work how they do and how fast. Shrinking 128gb to micro SD size is probably secondary to getting it to work reliably.

sent from my sm-900t.

klau1

Jan 1, 2008
You serious? Those chips are usually 8/16/32gigs and they're bigger and thicker though not a lot. Yes, you're right they work in parallel, but they need ram, controllers and a lot more energy to work how they do and how fast. Shrinking 128gb to micro SD size is probably secondary to getting it to work reliably.

sent from my sm-900t.

That's what I Mean, SD Cards have less Components but higher cost.

BTW, sdcards have internal controllers just lower performance Ones.

Hard to believe the cost of minutarizaton (which usually brings costs DOWN) is higher than the cost of enhanced performance .

Should at least balance out.

Reactions: NickSDC

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Note that I ordered the 128 GB Sandisk micro-sd from Best Buy Tuesday and received it overnight yesterday. I installed in on my Note 3 without doing anything to it (no reformat or anything) with zero issues. I loaded it with about 14,500 songs at 256 kbps and still had about 6 GB left. Songs play fine. Card writing was FAST.
    128GB for $99.95

B&H Have it for $99.95 offer ends June 2,2014. FREE shipping!

SanDisk 128GB microSDXC Memory Card Ultra Class 10 UHS-I with microSD Adapter

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1034096-REG/sandisk_sdsdqui_128g_a46_128gb_ultra_micro_sdxc.html
    Man, as long as I've followed this kind of thread (which for the record is since 2gb micro SD cards came out) I've seen people post links to SD cards. C'mon people, get with the program :p
    In the next few years some manufacturers in particular Samsung might quit with memory card slots especially as Google seems to want an end to it and security concerns make it a necessity. I hope not but they might therefore you might not get that 256-512. I am a digital hoarder to but this is the first card I have ever doubted that I might need. I have a 64gb coming (my second one) and I am wondering if I don't need a 128gb instead.

I'm sorry, but what "security concerns" are you talking about?
    Are you repeating Google's propaganda? For your information Google end SD card support in all of their devices a while ago, since it's against their business model, they make money from advertising so they want people to be on their cloud servers all the time so they can sell advertising and SD cards get in the way.
    Samsung sells hardware so Google business model is not their problem and frankly they are trying to come out with their own OS, Tizen.
    I get rid of Android and Google before I get rid of SD cards.
    As far as your 128GB card dilemma, to me it's very simple: either you still have space on your 64GB card and don't need 128, or your 64 GB is not enough and you need more. I still have space on mine, so can wait with upgrading to 128GB, but once vacation time comes up, I'll have no choice, to fit all the video and pics I expect to take even 128GB may be not enough.
    If you want one, order one now from Amazon, it's currently $119 (you can still order it even though it's OOS), not sure how long the price will last (Amazon usually changes the price especially if many are sold while OOS)

It's $200 (MSRP) at BestBuy

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IIJ6W4S

it's currently an exclusive to Amazon and BestBuy in the US