[17Jun20][Guide] [P/Q]How to root Note10/Note 10+ & Flash TWRP (Exynos only)

Search This thread

Blxckcard

Jul 21, 2014
Hi I lost root after reboot, Magisk sans I'm not rooted.Is there à fix.Thanks
Are you using Option 1 or 2? If you're using Option 1, try the button combo to boot into root but be sure to have usb cable plugged into your phone (or USB c headphones) and it should work in Android 11.

Since Android 11 the recovery mode key combo only works when the USB cable is connected to the device.

djibi22

Apr 8, 2008
Are you using Option 1 or 2? If you're using Option 1, try the button combo to boot into root but be sure to have usb cable plugged into your phone (or USB c headphones) and it should work in Android 11.

Since Android 11 the recovery mode key combo only works when the USB cable is connected to the device.
I see, I must use thé buttons combo. But I'm looking how to be root for ever. On Magisk ramdisk il not in Yes.How to get it.
Thanks

Reactions: c2gemineyes

c2gemineyes

May 16, 2011
Live Oak
I’ve got a Note 10 (N970F/DS) that has been running rooted stock Android 10 with TWRP. I decided to upgrade to Android 11; although getting root was fairly straightforward, I had numerous issues with getting TWRP to take that I finally sorted out. Following are basically notes to myself that others may find useful:
  • Started with PDA N970FXXU6ETLL (first release of Android R) downloaded from Sammobile. I used Magisk Manager app (v23) to patch the extracted AP file and then installed BL, AP(patched), CP, and HOME_CSC using Odin.
  • While still plugged into the computer, I used the VolUp(long hold)+Power key combo to enter the stock recovery screen. Had to hold the VolUp for several minutes as the phone looped three times through boot attempts before entering a recovery screen with limited selections of “try again”, “factory reset”, and “view logs”. I did a factory reset and used the VolUp(short hold)+Power to do a boot into system with root. It may take a couple of attempts, or even a power off and restart using the key combos (again, keeping the phone plugged in). Eventually, the phone booted, and there was a Magisk stub on the home screen that allows downloading of the full app. Magisk will reboot the phone automatically after installation. Root is then complete.
  • To install TWRP, I downloaded the latest tar file (twrp-3.5.2_9-0-d1.img.tar) and used 7zip to extract the recovery.img file. I then downloaded the vbmeta.img file from https://downloads.corsicanu.ro/samsung/ and finally, I got the boot.img file from the pre-patched AP file previously downloaded from Sammobile. For the boot.img file, an additional step was required to extract it from the lz4 file using a command line program found here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/how-to-unpack-and-recompile-system-img-ext4-lz4.3776423/
  • Used 7zip to create a modified TAR file with the three *.img files, and then transferred the newly created file to the phone, and patched it using Magisk.
  • Transferred the patched file to the computer and flashed the file back to the phone using the AP tab. I then booted directly into TWRP recovery using the VolUp(long hold)+Power (don’t forget to keep the phone plugged in!). In TWRP, I performed a Wipe>Format Data, and then without leaving TWRP, I used ADB to push multidisabler-samsung-3.1.zip and then installed it using TWRP (zip file downloaded at https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...of-stock-recovery-proca-wsm-cass-etc.3919714/) Note that failure to install the disabler zip immediately after installing TWRP will result in a boot loop when trying to boot to system, in which case, use the key combo to go back into TWRP, power off, restart the bootloader screen (VolUp+VolDown while plugging into the computer) and start over with the patched TWRP installation step using Odin.
After the above, the phone successfully boots to either system with root, or TWRP depending on the key combo.

Thank U

c2gemineyes

May 16, 2011
Live Oak
Best method for N970F/DS stock (never rooted) IMHO is to:
First backup all your user data if you don't want to lose it.

1) Unlock your bootloader, if not done yet. (follow the instructions from the first post in this thread).
2) Use latest ODIN to flash latest TWRP recovery from here: https://twrp.me/samsung/samsunggalaxynote10.html
EDIT: You will also need to flash vbmeta.img, so maybe better just get TWRP from here: https://www.mediafire.com/?uy9tuoajb0nkb#8sqrh1vj3x3li
Or get TWRP + avb disabled vbmeta from the official thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-x-twrp-for-galaxy-note-10-5g-exynos.4198413/

3) If you want to get rid of the boot screen warnings, flash this: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/d4ugie4yadxu6/N975F#v8isi2szsu1ys

4) a) Boot into TWRP and install the multidisabler from here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...of-stock-recovery-proca-wsm-cass-etc.3919714/

b) If your internal sdcard (ie. phone data) is encrypted - you must do a wipe data/factory reset through TWRP wipe menu

5) To get root, I think the best way is to flash a kernel with magisk built-in. Either extract the boot.img from Dr.Ketan's N970F rom https://www.mediafire.com/folder/d4ugie4yadxu6/N975F#uy9tuoajb0nkb, or if you got linux (Ubuntu/Fedora) and know how to, then build your own kernel (CruelKernel) from https://github.com/CruelKernel/samsung-exynos9820 (use the devel branch for Android 11 and follow all the build instructions).
To flash, the boot.img file, with this exact name, must be compressed into a .tar file, using a program such as 7-zip. Then flash the .tar file with ODIN.

6) To pass safetynet, install magisk safetyfix module. You may want to read this github thread and implement the keystore fix yourself for best compatibility:
Specifically read this comment by nampud: https://github.com/kdrag0n/safetynet-fix/issues/6#issuecomment-765906971

p.s. Phone must be in download mode when using ODIN.
NOTE: To enter TWRP (and/or any recovery) on Android 11, USB cable must be attached to the phone and PC, then use the reboot key combo mentioned in the first post.
Thank U

cocolish

May 17, 2010
I’ve got a Note 10 (N970F/DS) that has been running rooted stock Android 10 with TWRP. I decided to upgrade to Android 11; although getting root was fairly straightforward, I had numerous issues with getting TWRP to take that I finally sorted out. Following are basically notes to myself that others may find useful:
  • Started with PDA N970FXXU6ETLL (first release of Android R) downloaded from Sammobile. I used Magisk Manager app (v23) to patch the extracted AP file and then installed BL, AP(patched), CP, and HOME_CSC using Odin.
  • While still plugged into the computer, I used the VolUp(long hold)+Power key combo to enter the stock recovery screen. Had to hold the VolUp for several minutes as the phone looped three times through boot attempts before entering a recovery screen with limited selections of “try again”, “factory reset”, and “view logs”. I did a factory reset and used the VolUp(short hold)+Power to do a boot into system with root. It may take a couple of attempts, or even a power off and restart using the key combos (again, keeping the phone plugged in). Eventually, the phone booted, and there was a Magisk stub on the home screen that allows downloading of the full app. Magisk will reboot the phone automatically after installation. Root is then complete.
  • To install TWRP, I downloaded the latest tar file (twrp-3.5.2_9-0-d1.img.tar) and used 7zip to extract the recovery.img file. I then downloaded the vbmeta.img file from https://downloads.corsicanu.ro/samsung/ and finally, I got the boot.img file from the pre-patched AP file previously downloaded from Sammobile. For the boot.img file, an additional step was required to extract it from the lz4 file using a command line program found here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/how-to-unpack-and-recompile-system-img-ext4-lz4.3776423/
  • Used 7zip to create a modified TAR file with the three *.img files, and then transferred the newly created file to the phone, and patched it using Magisk.
  • Transferred the patched file to the computer and flashed the file back to the phone using the AP tab. I then booted directly into TWRP recovery using the VolUp(long hold)+Power (don’t forget to keep the phone plugged in!). In TWRP, I performed a Wipe>Format Data, and then without leaving TWRP, I used ADB to push multidisabler-samsung-3.1.zip and then installed it using TWRP (zip file downloaded at https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...of-stock-recovery-proca-wsm-cass-etc.3919714/) Note that failure to install the disabler zip immediately after installing TWRP will result in a boot loop when trying to boot to system, in which case, use the key combo to go back into TWRP, power off, restart the bootloader screen (VolUp+VolDown while plugging into the computer) and start over with the patched TWRP installation step using Odin.
After the above, the phone successfully boots to either system with root, or TWRP depending on the key combo.

May I have some questions as I'm really struggling with installing TWRP?
I'm on a Note10 SM-N970F, Exynos. I managed to root my device and completed step 1 and 2 successfully. BUT..

1. after downloading the file twrp-3.5.1_9-0-d1.img.tar, I struggle to understand the following part. What do you mean by extracting the recovery.img file? Do happened to extract twrp-3.5.1_9-0-d1.img.tar via 7zip and rename it to "recovery.img" file?

2. I downloaded the vbmeta.img from the site mentioned above BUT how do I extract the boot.img from the magisk patched AP File? And did you mean the AP File of the official samsung firmware? And how do I get to extract the boot.img from this file? I dont have a lz4 File to extract the boot.img from. Would you please elaborate this step because I can't figure out what you've done here.

As I'm stuck here..I can't go any further with the steps provided above.

Thanks for your patience and support!

With sincere and best wishes to you!
C.

cocolish

May 17, 2010
May I have some questions as I'm really struggling with installing TWRP?
I'm on a Note10 SM-N970F, Exynos. I managed to root my device and completed step 1 and 2 successfully. BUT..

1. after downloading the file twrp-3.5.1_9-0-d1.img.tar, I struggle to understand the following part. What do you mean by extracting the recovery.img file? Do happened to extract twrp-3.5.1_9-0-d1.img.tar via 7zip and rename it to "recovery.img" file?

2. I downloaded the vbmeta.img from the site mentioned above BUT how do I extract the boot.img from the magisk patched AP File? And did you mean the AP File of the official samsung firmware? And how do I get to extract the boot.img from this file? I dont have a lz4 File to extract the boot.img from. Would you please elaborate this step because I can't figure out what you've done here.

As I'm stuck here..I can't go any further with the steps provided above.

Thanks for your patience and support!

With sincere and best wishes to you!
C.

Never mind, I managed to successfully rooted, install TWRP and got rid of the boot screen warning on my N970F (Android 11, OneUI 3.1) with the help of a spanish Video Tutorial. The device is smoother than ever. It's just amazing. And the best thing is, you CAN boot your device normally (without key combo). I have tried this a pretty much amount of times and I haven't lost root access.

Last edited:

jessie maarat

Jul 5, 2015
i have successfully root with magisk and booted successfully in rooted enviroment.. but after my next restart. my device is in bootloop, there's no module installed in magisk yet. btw. im on ONEUI 3.1

Lightstring

Dec 29, 2014
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Never mind, I managed to successfully rooted, install TWRP and got rid of the boot screen warning on my N970F (Android 11, OneUI 3.1) with the help of a spanish Video Tutorial. The device is smoother than ever. It's just amazing. And the best thing is, you CAN boot your device normally (without key combo). I have tried this a pretty much amount of times and I haven't lost root access.
helllo please post a link to the video

kestrielias1

Apr 19, 2018
Can you please send a link to that video i have the same problem
Thank you

So I searched this thread a few times, but did not find anything:
I want to root my note10+ with twrp
So I have to follow option 2 section 2

Do i have to unlock bootloader first?

It is not mentioned in provided N975F Installation Guide Textfile:
TWRP.png

Thank you for your help and have a nice day :)

Dave Kelsen

Jul 26, 2014
Bozeman, MT
Thank you Dr.

in case anyone interested
it works Galaxy note 10, Android 11, UI 3.1 July 2021.

To be clear, are you saying that the process outlined in this thread for P/Q also works correctly with R (Android 11)?

I will be getting a used Note 10+ tomorrow, and am trying to figure out if I can use the R version, or if I should stick with the Q.

Thanks.

john_semple

Jan 9, 2012
This is doing my tits in trying to route it ARGH! so i've patched my AP file and done the rest of the files via ODIN as I should have done but the root process in odin gets to the userdata part and just stalls. Nothing goes. What am I doing wrong? (it's the note 10 plus 5G version)

Zaileion

Nov 11, 2012
So I know this is prob known by most but Im just jumping back into root since I was forced to switch from my note 4 to the current phone at that time the note 9. I am used to TWRP (or the other one before TWRP but I forget the name). Now there is a choice above for TWRP and a choice without. Will someone kindly explain the difference? Thanks!

Zaileion

Nov 11, 2012
So I am having significant difficulty rooting and installing TWRP. I can manage to get one or the other, but not both, When I root I have stock recovery, when I install TWRP I lose Magisk. I am working with a 975f/ds on Android 11 R.

Any Advice?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How to Root Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ & Flash TWRP (Exynos Only)

NOTICE :

Before you move further, make clear that rooting device -
    - Your warranty will be void
    - Some of functions may not work on rooted device, some function may get back with un rooting, some may never.
    - All your data on device will be lost
    - Flashing custom binaries may brick (Usually soft but can be hard brick too) your device, so follow it on your own risk!

If you are ready with condition, move further -

Important : Since android Q, there is changes in rooting process, specially if you needs root with TWRP, So here I am dividing this guide in two parts.

1.Root with self preparing files (No TWRP) - Here you needs to patch stock files yourself. No TWRP installed.
    2.Root with TWRP - You needs to just flash pre-patched files, Here you needs to have ROM installed same base as per files available. Though mostly latest verson will be available.

PART 1 : (Root Pie/Q base with magisk with patching files yourself, No TWRP)

Before moving to root device, must read every single instruction given below as any small mistake can lead to fail to achieve root or may brick the device.

A.Preparing Root files

You need to patch file to flash using Odin to root device.
    1. Download stock firmware for your device (google search will give you many sites to download it) some common are e.g. Sammobile, Samfirmware tool)
    you need to download file according your region and model (Dial *#1234# will give you details of existing firmware, download accordingly)

2. Once you finish download, extract files and keep all files on PC. From extracted files a file with name AP_[device_model_sw_ver].tar.md5 copy to your device.

3.Download Latest Magisk Manager and Install to your device

4.Open Magisk Manager - Magisk (first one) - Install - select to "Select and Patch file" - Navigate file you have copied to device (AP_[device_model_sw_ver].tar.md5)

5.Magisk Manager will patch the whole firmware file and store the output to [Internal Storage]/Download/magisk_patched.tar

6.Copy patched file magisk_patched.tar to Your PC

7.Download latest Odin (one is attached to end of this post) and extract to a folder on PC (I recommend on desktop)

Now next step is to modification on device

B. Unlocking Bootloader

This is a basic step to root device. Go to settings - about phone - Software Information - tap multiple times on "Build number" - This will open developer option.
    Now in settings at the end, you will have new option "Developer options" - look for OEM unlocking - Enable it.

(PS : If you don't see this option then you may need to wait up to 7 days or more to appear or may be on some operator you will get it never. Without this option you can not root your device, sorry!)

Once you have enable OEM unlock option, switch off your device and reboot to download mode.
    To put device in download mode - Press Volume Up & then Press Volume Down (Keep holding both) and connect device to PC with USB cable
    When device start to download mode,long press volume up to unlock the bootloader. This will wipe your data and automatically reboot

Now let finish setup and again enable developer options (as said above), and confirm that the OEM unlocking option exists and grayed out!
    If it is not then you can not root device!

Once you see this option and greyed out, you are ready to flash custom binary and root your device

C.Installation (Flashing) custom binaries

1. Switch off the device and reboot to download mode (As said earlier) and select volume up to continue

2. Open Odin (downloaded from above instruction) as administrator
    Select magisk_patched.tar file you have patched (as above instruction copied to PC) for AP tab of Odin
    Select BL,CP and CSC file (Extract from stock firmware you have downloaded) with according respective tab of Odin (This is important, DON'T flash only magisk_patched.tar )

3.From Odin option - uncheck Auto Reboot option

4.Now start flashing and wait till it finish. When you see a PASS sign on Odin, disconnect device.

Now magisk is successfully finished but yet you need to follow instructions below.

D. Factory reset & Boot with magisk

After disconnecting device, keep holding Vol down + Side key to exit from download mode.
    Here is very important - when you see device reboot As soon as the screen turns off, immediately press Volume Up + Side Key to boot to recovery partition. continue pressing the volume up button until you see the stock recovery screen.

In the stock recovery menu, use volume buttons to navigate through menus, and the power button to select the option. Select Wipe data/factory reset to wipe the data of the device.
    Select Reboot system now, and immediately press Volume Up + Side Key. After seeing the bootloader warning screen, release all buttons so it can boot to the system.

The device will automatically reboot for the first time it boots. This is completely normal and done by design.After the device is booted up, do the usual initial setup. You shall see Magisk Manager in your app drawer; if not, manually install the APK you downloaded and continue to the next step. The app would be a stub and it shall automatically upgrade to the full Magisk Manager when you open it.

Magisk Manager will ask to do additional setups. Let it do its job and the app will automatically reboot your device.

Voila! Enjoy Magisk :)

PART 2 : (Root Q base with TWRP)

This requires to have your device on same base as per base of pre-patch files. I am giving link below of my ROM

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/d4ugie4yadxu6/N975F - Click link - First select your device (N970/N975/N976) - download file Instructions_Root_TWRP_BootloopFix.pdf

This file have complete details about how to root with stock recovery/TWRP. Also all required patched files will be available in "Q" folder of your device section,
    Also "Q" folder have file BASE_N97*.txt - Name of this file indicates Model and base used for patched files, you should have same base installed.

Important :

Due to the fact that some devices no longer uses ramdisk in boot images, Magisk has no choice but to be installed in the recovery partition. For these devices, you will have to boot to recovery every time if you want Magisk. Since both Magisk and recovery lives in the same partition, what you actually end up getting when you choose to boot to recovery will be determined by how long you press volume up.

• (Powering up normally) → (System with NO Magisk)
    • (OEM Recovery Key Combo) → (Splash screen) → (Release all buttons) → (System with Magisk)
    • (OEM Recovery Key Combo) → (Splash screen) → (Keep pressing volume up) → (Actual recovery)

For more details read Installation guide by @topjohnwu from Here

All credit and thanks go to
    @topjohnwu for magisk & Guide.
    geiti94 for TWRP Here OP & Source
    ianmacd for latest TWRP - Here OP & Source

Happy rooting!

Xposed

Just tried and eDxposed working fine.
    - Install EdXposed installer
    - from magisk download install Ritu-core module
    - from magisk download install Ritu - EDxposed (yahfa)

Done.

We strongly recommend to make EFS backup as soon as you root device and store it to safer place
    Don't you lose some Samsung function when you root and even relock the bootloader?
    Who cares?
    Development can't go without this.
    We developer need to risk it. No way.

Here is Root files available to Root N975F Android 10 Beta1

I have updated OP with possibilities of
    - Root Pie/Q with self patching
    - Root Q with or without TWRP with pre-patched files.

Hope this help users.