$189 perk of OctaCore Android head unit for early users

Search This thread

nonstop2050

Jul 26, 2012
Seems more people are interested in our OctaCore head unit. We added $189 perk for early users. :mad:
It is Octa Cortex-A7/2GB DDR3/16G EMMC5.0 device. 180+ models are supported.

mod edit - sales link removed

js4guilgq7xd4wdeu3n5.png

Last edited by a moderator:

mike.s

Apr 2, 2010
Google Pixel 6a
It's said to be open source. But, this seems to be based on hardware similar to the other units being discussed around here. Does it have an MCU, and if so, is the source code for the MCU also available? I also don't see any applications (Radio, Aux In, etc.) on GitHub.

Hisma

Oct 24, 2010
my car is not on your list (2014 mazda6). Do you have a generic model that fits most standard double din?
Or is there any way possible you have other models that support a 2014 mazda 6? I'd love to get my hands on one of these if I could

nonstop2050

Jul 26, 2012
It's said to be open source. But, this seems to be based on hardware similar to the other units being discussed around here. Does it have an MCU, and if so, is the source code for the MCU also available? I also don't see any applications (Radio, Aux In, etc.) on GitHub.
Thanks for your reply. We haven't gone that far as mentioned in campaign that some parts are in binary. We try first open step from AOSP. However, seems people asked more information on OctaCore.

nonstop2050

Jul 26, 2012
my car is not on your list (2014 mazda6). Do you have a generic model that fits most standard double din?
Or is there any way possible you have other models that support a 2014 mazda 6? I'd love to get my hands on one of these if I could

Sorry, 2014 Mazda6 is not supported at this moment. We do have generic model for double din which named Universal Unit. However, I don't think it will work with your car since canbus decoding is needed for 2014Mazda6.

dwmcqueen

Feb 9, 2011
You are missing the one Suzuki that I like (Kizashi). This has a double-din opening and is not CANBUS - so will it work?

halloj

Jun 1, 2008
Seems more people are interested in our OctaCore head unit. We added $189 perk for early users. :mad:
It is Octa Cortex-A7/2GB DDR3/16G EMMC5.0 device. 180+ models are supported.

mod edit - sales link removed
Hyundai I40, will it support factory amplifier with Can-Bus? Will it support climate and other information through the Can-Bus?

Last edited by a moderator:

nonstop2050

Jul 26, 2012
So it is not a standard Double DIN size?

it is standard double din in terms of size of the metal part. However, to make head unit 'seamless' fitting to your car, we need a suitable panel.
Do you have a photo of old head unit? If it is similar as attached pic, then there is not problem by an Universal head unit.

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 313

halloj

Jun 1, 2008
Which year model? canbus is not needed for the one of 2011-2013.

Well, mine is 2012 and it has factory amplifier and it use to have a nav-unit which I've
replaced for a Klyde unit. Hence my question. I definitely need both can-bus boxes.

Again, can you supply it or not? Thanks

jkchr1s

Dec 30, 2014
Chattanooga, TN
I would love to back something like this, but I have a few questions.

1. Why are all the head unit manufacturers still using old Rockchip and Allwinner CPUs that only support up to 4.4.x? Why not choose a more modern chipset that will run Lollipop (or even, should I dare, Marshmallow)? It's 2015, and to come out the gate with an old chipset that only runs Kit Kat is rather disappointing.

2. Closed-source MCU is really the downfall of these head units. I've owned a couple of different types, and the MCU is always the weakest link. The Newsmy doesn't support audio mixing (no EQ) without software EQ, the HuiFei and clones don't support the EQ using FM or auxiliary inputs, and capped "shut-down" times are extremely annoying. Why not do the same as locking the screen and put the device in a lower power mode? The Newsmy community at least worked around this with xdAuto ROMs that allow up to 2 days standby, but that's only because someone at Newsmy posted the ROM source accidentally. Some still have wake issues, etc that would be easily resolved if the MCU were open source.

3. Will this have pre-amp outputs for external amplifiers? A separate channel for subwoofer that doesn't send all audio frequencies? Front and rear pre-amp outs?

If these things were addressed, I'd highly consider backing a project like this. But especially without open source MCU, those of us who have experience with other units would be very hesitant. Designing a new product in 2015 that's capped at Kit Kat from old 2012-2013ish chipsets don't help move things forward either.

halloj

Jun 1, 2008
I've some further questions, have you implemented the BT mod for external mic and also the audio mod?
All displayed in threads above.

nonstop2050

Jul 26, 2012
Very good questions. Please check my comments in quote.

1. Why are all the head unit manufacturers still using old Rockchip and Allwinner CPUs that only support up to 4.4.x? Why not choose a more modern chipset that will run Lollipop (or even, should I dare, Marshmallow)? It's 2015, and to come out the gate with an old chipset that only runs Kit Kat is rather disappointing.

I think this is because development of Android head unit is not that easy. The process takes longer time than mobile phones and tablets which normally come from IC vendor's reference design, maybe turn-key solution. Android head unit development team needs to handle more tech issues which are not found in mobile phones and tablets. Developers are also lack due to attraction of mobile phone industry. Market size of Android Head unit is maybe 1% of Android phone's.
Good news is, in our OctaCore(2GB DDR) solution, porting of Lollipop is in progress.

2. Closed-source MCU is really the downfall of these head units. I've owned a couple of different types, and the MCU is always the weakest link. The Newsmy doesn't support audio mixing (no EQ) without software EQ, the HuiFei and clones don't support the EQ using FM or auxiliary inputs, and capped "shut-down" times are extremely annoying. Why not do the same as locking the screen and put the device in a lower power mode? The Newsmy community at least worked around this with xdAuto ROMs that allow up to 2 days standby, but that's only because someone at Newsmy posted the ROM source accidentally. Some still have wake issues, etc that would be easily resolved if the MCU were open source.

Open MCU is a bit hard. Firstly, it is normally based on a particular development platform with NDA and in-house tools. Secondly, MCU software is very much connected to hardware control which must be handled very carefully. Thirdly, even you have source, sometimes you may not build a bin if lack of tools and documents.
Doing shutdown in stead of sleep mode is a safer choice than running out of one's old battery and you may not start car next morning. In fact, it is also the industry's choice even in aftermarket. Local distributors in many countries demand <5mA power consuming when acc off.

3. Will this have pre-amp outputs for external amplifiers? A separate channel for subwoofer that doesn't send all audio frequencies? Front and rear pre-amp outs?
pre-amp output is there with a wire for subwoofer.

If these things were addressed, I'd highly consider backing a project like this. But especially without open source MCU, those of us who have experience with other units would be very hesitant. Designing a new product in 2015 that's capped at Kit Kat from old 2012-2013ish chipsets don't help move things forward either.

Reactions: Forrice and mariom

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Very good questions. Please check my comments in quote.

I think this is because development of Android head unit is not that easy. The process takes longer time than mobile phones and tablets which normally come from IC vendor's reference design, maybe turn-key solution. Android head unit development team needs to handle more tech issues which are not found in mobile phones and tablets. Developers are also lack due to attraction of mobile phone industry. Market size of Android Head unit is maybe 1% of Android phone's.
    Good news is, in our OctaCore(2GB DDR) solution, porting of Lollipop is in progress.

Open MCU is a bit hard. Firstly, it is normally based on a particular development platform with NDA and in-house tools. Secondly, MCU software is very much connected to hardware control which must be handled very carefully. Thirdly, even you have source, sometimes you may not build a bin if lack of tools and documents.
    Doing shutdown in stead of sleep mode is a safer choice than running out of one's old battery and you may not start car next morning. In fact, it is also the industry's choice even in aftermarket. Local distributors in many countries demand <5mA power consuming when acc off.

pre-amp output is there with a wire for subwoofer.