• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

2.17.605.2_fireball ota ruu

Search This thread

andybones

Forum Moderator
Staff member
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
I pulled the rom.zip from the new OTA(2.17.605.2) RUU that is needed for the root/ S-OFF exploit(AS OF 12/5/12 RELEASED).

INSTRUCTIONS

1) Download this - MD5 = 55023CC10B59FDEC0AAA6695C4CF83FB
2) rename to PJ53IMG.zip (make sure it's not named PJ53IMG.zip.zip...)
3) put the PJ53IMG.zip on the root of your SD-Card. (not in any folders)
4) reboot to bootloader
5) let the phone do its magic
6) enjoy Sense 4.1
7) smile. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

here is a link if you want the RUU.exe for this OTA, mirror for link provided thanks to knighthawk65
Full RUU.exe for 2.17.605.2 OTA
MD5 = 266BA0801978A9F5CFABE6F316D207FF

Last edited:

andybones

Forum Moderator
Staff member
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
Last edited:

blazingwolf

Nov 11, 2006
Sorry but it makes no sense to me that people are recommending the need to relock and then install this update. It can already be installed by those that are unlocked by downloading the version that nitsuj17 posted in the dev forums. This gives you all of the "benefits" of the update without having to relock. Plus, nitsuj17 is already working on a new version of Viper with the latest update.

Is the idea to get the new bootloader? To what advantage would that be (obviously it is to people that are not unlocked)?

andybones

Forum Moderator
Staff member
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
Sorry but it makes no sense to me that people are recommending the need to relock and then install this update. It can already be installed by those that are unlocked by downloading the version that nitsuj17 posted in the dev forums. This gives you all of the "benefits" of the update without having to relock. Plus, nitsuj17 is already working on a new version of Viper with the latest update.

Is the idea to get the new bootloader? To what advantage would that be (obviously it is to people that are not unlocked)?

idk who you mean by people? It's me suggesting what to do to be prepared for the S-OFF tool. This goes for everyone, stock and rooted.

you need to run the RUU/or accept it as OTA on your phone if you want S-OFF.

not just running a ROM.

also it's in the very first line of the OP.. "I pulled the rom.zip from the new OTA(2.17.605.2) RUU that is needed for the root/ S-OFF exploit"

Last edited:
Reactions: canpitt27

canpitt27

Sep 22, 2010
Pittsburgh
if you are htc dev unlock and doing this, u need to lock ur bootloader to install it, then unlock again after, make sure u have ur unlock_token

Ok, so I need to:
1. Re-lock the bootloader
2. Download the RUU
3. Follow the 7 steps at the beginning of this thread
4. Then I can unlock the bootloader again.

At this point I'll be ready for S-Off... correct?

The part I wasn't sure about was whether I had to re-lock first.

Thanks Andybones...

Reactions: andybones

andybones

Forum Moderator
Staff member
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
Ok, so I need to:
1. Re-lock the bootloader
2. Download the RUU
3. Follow the 7 steps at the beginning of this thread
4. Then I can unlock the bootloader again.

At this point I'll be ready for S-Off... correct?

The part I wasn't sure about was whether I had to re-lock first.

Thanks Andybones...

yessir thats perfect.

it took me a lil bit to remember that when htcdev unlock u need to lock to be able to run ruu :) it will say unzipping, and installing on the system part dont freak out just let it run, i almost pulled batt, and DO NOT do that while doing and RUU thats pretty much certain brick of phone eek!

Reactions: canpitt27

blazingwolf

Nov 11, 2006
idk who you mean by people? It's me suggesting what to do to be prepared for the S-OFF tool. This goes for everyone, stock and rooted.

you need to run the RUU/or accept it as OTA on your phone if you want S-OFF.

not just running a ROM.

also it's in the very first line of the OP.. "I pulled the rom.zip from the new OTA(2.17.605.2) RUU that is needed for the root/ S-OFF exploit"

I think I was misunderstanding something so don't worry about it.

As for what I meant by people is that there are several here who have suggested it not just you.

Nyobie

Jan 6, 2012
wearing a hole in the carpet while waiting...

I wonder if it's just me who is anxious to gain S-OFF under the new OTA update. I suspect I know the answer.

:silly:

Andybones rocks!

andybones

Forum Moderator
Staff member
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
haha :) this is why I LOVE this community!
you guys are awesome.
in the rezound forums, once I tested s-off (on my only personal device mind you, having to use a paper clip....) and once I got it, they were also making the tool for about 6 other phones, so before it got released ALL phones had to be tested, so it took a bit longer for it to come, and when I made like the splash thread, some people spammed me saying how I'm rubbing it in their faces, and that's completely not true. I mean, I must have rebooted my phone over 100 times with that paper clip, I also figured out for the team that the SD-card was the reason, so that saved a lot of time and hassle for them.
long story short, I sure as hell don't regret selling that brick of **** and buying this awesome phone with awesome people to share it with!
Since we are only waiting for a tool for just our phone (I think anyway) it shouldn't take nearly as long as that wait IMO, but again I don't know. But it is pretty cool that the exploit was found in a new update, usually they break the exploits not open them up lol.
big props to superdave for finding that otherwise this wouldn't of happened I don't think, or certainly not this fast anyway.

Last edited:

Nyobie

Jan 6, 2012
Lol! It's a great community of people here and just goes to show that when you buy an Android device, you don't just get an awesome device. You get an awesome community of helpful and fun people to share yout experiences with!

Sent from my HTC Incredible 4G on Verizon's periodically blazing fast and mostly reliable 4G LTE network using xda-developers app

Aldo101t

Mar 9, 2012
Pittsburgh
HTC U11
haha :) this is why i love this community!
You guys are awesome.
In the rezound forums, once i tested s-off (on my only personal device mind you, having to use a paper clip....) and once i got it, they were also making the tool for about 6 other phones, so before it got released all phones had to be tested, so it took a bit longer for it to come, and when i made like the splash thread, some people spammed me saying how i'm rubbing it in their faces, and that's completely not true. I mean, i must have rebooted my phone over 100 times with that paper clip, i also figured out for the team that the sd-card was the reason, so that saved a lot of time and hassle for them.
Long story short, i sure as hell don't regret selling that brick of **** and buying this awesome phone with awesome people to share it with!
Since we are only waiting for a tool for just our phone (i think anyway) it shouldn't take nearly as long as that wait imo, but again i don't know. But it is pretty cool that the exploit was found in a new update, usually they break the exploits not open them up lol.
Big props to superdave for finding that otherwise this wouldn't of happened i don't think, or certainly not this fast anyway.

well, we love you too

reeper101

Jul 27, 2012
Pittsburgh PA
This is a great community! That is the main reason I got the Inc 4. Between you nitsuj17 and icedragon (the developers I am familiar with). I am not knocking other Devs.This is going to be one heck of a ride!!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I pulled the rom.zip from the new OTA(2.17.605.2) RUU that is needed for the root/ S-OFF exploit(AS OF 12/5/12 RELEASED).

INSTRUCTIONS

1) Download this - MD5 = 55023CC10B59FDEC0AAA6695C4CF83FB
    2) rename to PJ53IMG.zip (make sure it's not named PJ53IMG.zip.zip...)
    3) put the PJ53IMG.zip on the root of your SD-Card. (not in any folders)
    4) reboot to bootloader
    5) let the phone do its magic
    6) enjoy Sense 4.1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

here is a link if you want the RUU.exe for this OTA, mirror for link provided thanks to knighthawk65
    Full RUU.exe for 2.17.605.2 OTA
    MD5 = 266BA0801978A9F5CFABE6F316D207FF
    haha :) this is why I LOVE this community!
    you guys are awesome.
    in the rezound forums, once I tested s-off (on my only personal device mind you, having to use a paper clip....) and once I got it, they were also making the tool for about 6 other phones, so before it got released ALL phones had to be tested, so it took a bit longer for it to come, and when I made like the splash thread, some people spammed me saying how I'm rubbing it in their faces, and that's completely not true. I mean, I must have rebooted my phone over 100 times with that paper clip, I also figured out for the team that the SD-card was the reason, so that saved a lot of time and hassle for them.
    long story short, I sure as hell don't regret selling that brick of **** and buying this awesome phone with awesome people to share it with!
    Since we are only waiting for a tool for just our phone (I think anyway) it shouldn't take nearly as long as that wait IMO, but again I don't know. But it is pretty cool that the exploit was found in a new update, usually they break the exploits not open them up lol.
    big props to superdave for finding that otherwise this wouldn't of happened I don't think, or certainly not this fast anyway.
    Thank you for your upload!
    Thank you for your upload!

Very welcome. :)

Will users that don't have htcdev unlock be able to s-off?

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using xda premium

Yessir indeed.
    6) enjoy Sense 4.1 and please wait patiently for the S-OFF tool.
    Yeah, that's the thing first time I tried it wouldn't run, err msg, jist rebooted the.bootloader and it ran went down the list of things on right hand side going through updating/installing each one,showed the progress bar while updating. It finished successfully and I went.through initial setup, and is running fine. I am now back to stock kernal. I had to call verizion to update the prl. I just need get root back I'm still s-off and bootloader says unlocked with no tampered flag above it or anything. Just wanting get my root back, since s-off and unlocked I should be able fastboot a recovery.

it shouldnt say unlocked unless you did the dev unlock again. If it says it after an RUU it wasnt locked before running the ruu.

if it is unlocked now all you need to do is put it in fasboot mode:

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

and it should put recovery on the device.