2.2 froyo question

Search This thread

rs0cal

May 2, 2009
Hey guys, just curious since I havent gotten a chance to use a rooted phone yet.

-When google comes out with 2.2 froyo update, are we able to update it from a rooted rom or does it have to be under stock condition?

PrawnPoBoy

Apr 18, 2010
You will have to wait until either someone posts a stock 2.2 ROM that world with rooted phones or someone like cyanogen updates.

Once a different recovery is installed on the phone, the OTA system will never work again. Not even if you go back to stock.

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
This is a complete non issue. The stock 2.2 rom may very well be available to flash here before you recieve the ota if its a rolling release. If not it will be a close race. BTW, The ota looks for a stock officially signed recovery to install itself with, if you do not have one the ota will fail.

3Shirts

Jan 18, 2009
Bedford
+1. will be going from cyan to stock again when froyo comes out. but how?

Just out of interest (I am not making any judgements), why do you want to go from CM to stock as opposed to a CM modded version of 2.2?
Or are you just assuming 2.2 will drop before CM has time to mod it so want to get on it asap?

RaQHoliday

Apr 19, 2009
Charlotte, NC
I'd be willing to bet that the features present in 2.2 will reach a version of CM before they reach any non-rooted N1. I'm just saying... we already have some of the features currently, i.e. customizable trackball notifications.

eabinsan

Sep 24, 2009
that really just depends on when google pushes the sources of 2.2 into AOSP. so chances are that a stock 2.2 will be available sooner than a cyanogen 2.2, but it will be worth the wait :)

jamesyb0i

Oct 17, 2009
Just out of interest (I am not making any judgements), why do you want to go from CM to stock as opposed to a CM modded version of 2.2?
Or are you just assuming 2.2 will drop before CM has time to mod it so want to get on it asap?

cos my battery life is absolutely shocking now, and things like stock weather program isn't working, cyan just watches LOST season 3 wtf lol

moto211

Mar 21, 2007
You will have to wait until either someone posts a stock 2.2 ROM that world with rooted phones or someone like cyanogen updates.

Once a different recovery is installed on the phone, the OTA system will never work again. Not even if you go back to stock.

That's not true. I did a warranty replacement a while back and restored the phone to stock before sending it back. I used the SAPPIMG.zip method to restore the shipping ROM, recovery, and radio. After rebooting and setting up the phone, I was offered the OTA update and the OTA completed successfully. Being bootloader unlocked did not affect my ability to get OTA updates.

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
A little confusion here it seems and I will throw out my understanding. An ota will work if it does not have to access an officially signed recovery, if it does and does not find one it will fail. Once you have installed a custom recovery going back to the stock one will not help in this regard because it is no longer officially signed. 2.2 will require an officially signed recovery to install and everything I read says it will be seen, it will download, then it will fail to install. If this is incorrect than I look forward to learning more about this question as it keeps popping up over and over. I have yet to hear from any owner who was able to update from 2.0 to 2.1 after having installed a custom recovery, seems like there would have been many....