• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

2.2 fw

Search This thread

AyDee

Sep 30, 2010
Mobile
Hi guys, I don't have a Vibrant myself but a friend asked if I could update him to 2.2.
So,
a) Where can I download stock firmwares. *edit- found this, is it latest?
b) What are some good FULLY FUNCTIONAL roms?
I have downloaded AIO Vibrant Toolbox, will that be enough to flash from stock 2.1 or do I need Odin? I have/can use adb etc & I'm not a noob, just my 1st time looking at a Sammy phone.:)

TIA for any answers.

*edit 2- Wtf is JFD? :p

Last edited:

AyDee

Sep 30, 2010
Mobile
Thanks for the reply!
I have heard only bad things about Kies in the little research I've done so far. Is it the safest way to go?

kaintfm

Jun 7, 2011
Cincinnati
Whatever you do, do NOT do what was just suggested by Krys.

Your research isn't wrong. There's a reason that "Kies killed my phone" is the only surefire way to get warranty work done on your Vibrant. It's all kinds of bad.

As for good ROMs, you probably noticed in our Vibrant bible that there are quite a few.

Bionix 1.3.1 (untouched by me) is reportedly the most stable experience, though it hasn't been updated in some time (some would say it doesn't need updating).

Zendroid is probably the best stripped down and tweaked Froyo ROM. Touchwiz has been removed as has had pretty much all the bloatware.

If you're into theming, and don't want to make the jump to MIUI (2.3.7 Gingerbread AOSP ROM), I suggest giving Toxic8 a try. It's been stable in my experience, and the number of themes available for it are pretty extensive. It's also the newest of the Froyo ROMs, so it has all the latest tweaks.

If you need instructions on how to install (flash) them, there are multiple guides to choose from in our development and other forums.

Happy hunting! Drinks are on the house!

Last edited:
Reactions: AyDee

AyDee

Sep 30, 2010
Mobile
BIG Thanks for the quick answers. :D
He was wanting stock at first but I'll see what I can talk him into. I probably won't be able to give him much support after I flash so I'll definitely look at those more stable roms you mentioned, kaintfm. Gonna go "thank" another random post of yours. ;)
Cheers.

Woody

Retired Admin - Vacationing in Nanda Parbat
Nov 18, 2010
Immersed in Dark Matter
I am using Toxic8 now after coming from a Motorola (locked bootloader with no custom kernels) however we broke it down and are in the process of developing CM7.1 for it. Not bad for a phone that had no "official" update from the manufacturer.

Anyways, like I said, I am using Toxic8 w/ Gingerbread theme and have no complaints so far. I have basically put this thing through the ringer over the last few weeks and it is holding up pretty damn good. Comes with Bali 1.2OC kernel and build.prop tweaks and V6supercharger. I like it enough to make it my "home" ROM.

jneal9

May 24, 2011
I definitely agree with kaintfm on avoiding Kies. It's much easier to flash via CWM anyway. I highly recommend ZenDroid and Project-V, but what I'll be sticking with for quite some time is the Ultimate 8.2 port. Battery life is fantastic for me, and it's one of the smoothest roms I've used (previously ZenDroid). But honestly, it will all be a matter of personal preference since pretty much all the Froyo roms we have are slick and polished.

bobshute

Nov 8, 2010
San Diego
Hi guys, I don't have a Vibrant myself but a friend asked if I could update him to 2.2.
So,
a) Where can I download stock firmwares. *edit- found this, is it latest?
b) What are some good FULLY FUNCTIONAL roms?
I have downloaded AIO Vibrant Toolbox, will that be enough to flash from stock 2.1 or do I need Odin? I have/can use adb etc & I'm not a noob, just my 1st time looking at a Sammy phone.:)

TIA for any answers.

*edit 2- Wtf is JFD? :p

Your link in the Op is to KB5 (T959UVKB5) T959 is the vibrant model number, KB5 is the build number. It is the last 2.2 froyo for the vibrant. You can find the build number of what's currently on the phone in settings/about phone.

JFD (T959UVJFD) was the original build when the phone was released.

To keep the phone stock at the latest 2.2 use the link (T959UVKB5) you noted. If you have used Odin before (a samsung flashing tool) use that or you can root the phone and used the .zip file in CWM. There are links to Odin and ways to root in this forum. The Vibrant is very easy to root and Flash.

The stock KB5 is what you linked to. All the other Roms based on KB5 are good, they are pretty much just themed differently. All the 2.3 Gingerbread roms have issues (which may or may not bother you but I would not want to support some one else's phone with the issues, GPS, FC's, reboots, etc.) as they are ports from other phones

Last edited:

SamsungVibrant

Jul 23, 2010
Kies Mini worked for me, and I like the SBL update.

I've used Kies Mini to update to KB5 when it first came out and I'm glad I did it. The process was smooth and easy, and the update included an update to the SBL which dramatically made my 3 buttons work great.

Many of the roms here have the SBL update taken out.

I would say if you don't have voodoo or any other stuff, and you can odin back to JFD, I would try kies mini without being too scared.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Download and install Vibrant Kies Mini from Samsung Vibrant Download Center. This will update your friend's Vibrant to the official 2.2
    Whatever you do, do NOT do what was just suggested by Krys.

Your research isn't wrong. There's a reason that "Kies killed my phone" is the only surefire way to get warranty work done on your Vibrant. It's all kinds of bad.

As for good ROMs, you probably noticed in our Vibrant bible that there are quite a few.

Bionix 1.3.1 (untouched by me) is reportedly the most stable experience, though it hasn't been updated in some time (some would say it doesn't need updating).

Zendroid is probably the best stripped down and tweaked Froyo ROM. Touchwiz has been removed as has had pretty much all the bloatware.

If you're into theming, and don't want to make the jump to MIUI (2.3.7 Gingerbread AOSP ROM), I suggest giving Toxic8 a try. It's been stable in my experience, and the number of themes available for it are pretty extensive. It's also the newest of the Froyo ROMs, so it has all the latest tweaks.

If you need instructions on how to install (flash) them, there are multiple guides to choose from in our development and other forums.

Happy hunting! Drinks are on the house!

I am using Toxic8 now after coming from a Motorola (locked bootloader with no custom kernels) however we broke it down and are in the process of developing CM7.1 for it. Not bad for a phone that had no "official" update from the manufacturer.

Anyways, like I said, I am using Toxic8 w/ Gingerbread theme and have no complaints so far. I have basically put this thing through the ringer over the last few weeks and it is holding up pretty damn good. Comes with Bali 1.2OC kernel and build.prop tweaks and V6supercharger. I like it enough to make it my "home" ROM.
    I definitely agree with kaintfm on avoiding Kies. It's much easier to flash via CWM anyway. I highly recommend ZenDroid and Project-V, but what I'll be sticking with for quite some time is the Ultimate 8.2 port. Battery life is fantastic for me, and it's one of the smoothest roms I've used (previously ZenDroid). But honestly, it will all be a matter of personal preference since pretty much all the Froyo roms we have are slick and polished.