2 questions. Add a notification panel, Add a permission to an app

Sideburnt

Nov 15, 2006
Leeds
So I took a gamble on a cheap smartwatch (Yeah I know, you get what you pay for) which comes with full Android 5.1.

I've noticed two things that really make it hard to use. First of all, there is no notification panel. The built in launcher has a really whacky way to open and dismiss notifications but there's no way of accessing notifications once you changed the launcher since it's not a notification app that I could perhaps launch using a gesture.

The second weird thing is that google fit does not have the permission set to use the phone sensor. I can find apps that remove permissions for apps on a rooted phone, but not add one. Is there a way?

I've rooted the watch and have access to Magisk Manager. I can't get the phone into fastboot even with adb - this somewhat limits me on tinkering more.

Anyone have an advice or suggestions?

jwoegerbauer

Jul 11, 2009
European Union
The second weird thing is that google fit does not have the permission set to use the phone sensor. I can find apps that remove permissions for apps on a rooted phone, but not add one. Is there a way?
You only can grant/revoke permissions that are defined by app's developer in app's AndroidManifest.xml. You can try to add extra permissions of your choice to that file.

Example:
Code:
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE" />

Last edited:

Sideburnt

Nov 15, 2006
Leeds
You only can grant/revoke permissions that are defined by app's developer in app's AndroidManifest.xml. You can try to add extra permissions of your choice to that file.

Example:
Code:
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.INTERNET" />
That's the strange thing, on my phone the app has BODY_SENSORS permission granted, on the watch it doesn't.

I'm not sure if that's a restriction of the OS implementation or Android 5.1.

Through ADB if I try and run
"adb shell pm grant com.google.android.apps.fitness android.permission.BODY_SENSORS".

I get the error "Operation not allowed: java.lang.SecurityException: Package com.google.android.apps.fitness has not requested permission android.permission.BODY_SENSORS".

So I can't seem to add it if it was never included in initial installation of the apk through google play. I can only enable USB debugging through developer options and have no access to turn off Disable permission monitoring.