2 Steps - How to flash CWM and ROM- Easy steps for the NOOK TABLET

droiduzr2

Jan 26, 2011
Please don't delete or move this thread.
I am taking the time to write this to help others.
I spent 6+ hours trying to sort through this information when in reality it should have taken only 30 minutes.

I have a Nook TABLET 16gb model.

Step I - Installing CWM.
You will be installing CWM onto your EXTERNAL 8gb microsdcard NOT the internal Nook storage.

post #14 from this thread.http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=21895025#post21895025

But some of it is not so clear.
This is what to do.
Download this file http://www.mediafire.com/?dwwhzaixwwh2015

Now follow these steps.
1. Download the packages listed above and extract them to your desktop.
extract ALL the files from the single zip.

2. Open the Win32DiskImager.exe flasher and browse for the .img that
you extracted from the same zip

3. Put your 8gb SD Card into your nook or reader, and select the drive (your external 8gb sdcard) letter from the drop down on the right. Press write, and wait

4.Once it has completed, Turn your Nook off.
5. Turn your Nook on while holding both the N+Power button. Your device will turn on, and then turn off after holding it.
NOTE: Do not let go of either button until your device has powered on and off again.
NOTE: If it is already in there eject it and then put it back in.
Power your Nook on normally and wait 30 seconds.
You will see a picture of N on the screen followed by a box with a white background followed by CWM booting up.

6. Select install from internal
Select the ROM you downloaded in Step 2 below.
Install, do a wipe data factory reset along with wiping all caches
Reboot device and wait a bit....done
NOTE: Remove the SD card after your device reboots as if you don't it will continue to boot from the SD card.

Step II - Installing ROMS

ICS - follow this and get the rom from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1534192

JB - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1773362
JB will give you Touch Recovery without booting from SDcard

GAPPS - where is the gapps? http://goo.im/gapps here, get the most recent when you install gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip

There is a way to install CWM/TWR on the Tablet itself by fastbooting the recovery.img file which is in the ICS link above.

I just wrote this up, it takes 30 minutes to download and install everything.
I am trying ICS for right now.

Last edited:

Cubanluke88

Nov 18, 2011
Connecticut
You can flash a custom recovery to internal using terminal emulator on the device itself as well, just an fyi.

dd if=/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3
where "/recovery.img" is the file path/file name of the recovery image

Not sure if that exact command will work for the 8gb, possibly not as I believe the partitions are a bit different.

---------- Post added at 08:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 AM ----------

It should also be noted that you don't need an 8gb sd card to create the external recovery card. You could use something as small as a 1gb I believe (probably even smaller, I forget how large that recovery is).

Reactions: powerpoint45

kyleallen5000

Apr 23, 2010
Tampa
Well, after flashing, I end up with a 72 megabyte BOOT partition with no room for anything on it.
Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
Agreed I'm in the same boat, and i supposed to have two SD cards?

Edit: While our question gets answered i found a work around, just place the actual Rom (zip) on the internal nook memory, then when in recovery navigate to internal sd card and select the zip file. While this may work when installing the Rom and Gaaps (because they are relatively small) you will have next to no room on the nook.

---------- Post added at 12:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 AM ----------

You can flash a custom recovery to internal using terminal emulator on the device itself as well, just an fyi.

Not sure if that exact command will work for the 8gb, possibly not as I believe the partitions are a bit different.

---------- Post added at 08:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 AM ----------

It should also be noted that you don't need an 8gb sd card to create the external recovery card. You could use something as small as a 1gb I believe (probably even smaller, I forget how large that recovery is).
I would love a to be able to have the recover installed on the tablet (peace of mind) kind of new to the nook tablet sceen. Used to messing around with my HOX

---------- Post added at 01:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 AM ----------

Agreed I'm in the same boat, and i supposed to have two SD cards?

Edit: While our question gets answered i found a work around, just place the actual Rom (zip) on the internal nook memory, then when in recovery navigate to internal sd card and select the zip file. While this may work when installing the Rom and Gaaps (because they are relatively small) you will have next to no room on the nook.

---------- Post added at 12:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 AM ----------

I would love a to be able to have the recover installed on the tablet (peace of mind) kind of new to the nook tablet sceen. Used to messing around with my HOX
Sorry if I'm hijacking your post, but something that i found works really well: Install CWM through the OP's way, then Install any Rom, once booted into the rom download GooManager from the play store, go into Goomanager's settings then press Install TWRP script, this will install a recovery (similar to CWM, but with touch screen) to your internal memory on the nook. From this point you can reformat the SD card and use it as normal.

Last edited: