[20-Aug-2018][mido] Battery Life / Performance Benchmarks - ROMs & Kernels

Search This thread

seijuro572

Jul 23, 2018
please benchmark new kernels such as ethereal kernel, leviathan kernel, extreme kernel, kat kernel, and the latest revolt kernel

Htthhinh1999

Dec 29, 2015
Nha Trang
My ROM: RRO 621 20190127 - treble
My kernel: StRaKz Kernel Legendary Edition 10 feb 2k19 - cfq - 512kbs
My performance score: 5831
Dgg0vy3.png

jondXbO.png

Last edited:
Reactions: DucHuynh5343

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [20-Aug-2018] NEW: For the ranking table with normalized scores of Oreo Treble Kernels head directly to post #421.

Let me first say that is not a "best rom" thread. There is no absolute best rom. What is best for one user may not be best for another. To give a simple example, battery is very important for some users while performance is priority for others.

Benchmark results are usually misleading, but PC Mark battery life benchmark shines by using day to day tasks to measure phone performance and battery drain. It repeats a series of tasks including web browsing, photo and video editing, text editing and data manipulation.

For each rom I made a clean install and a simple setup with basic settings and a few apps necessary to monitor/admin the runs.

The tests are run with the screen brightness calibrated at 200 lumens as required by PC Mark and all sound levels set to zero, so results are better suited for comparison.

Each benchmark run takes over 8 hours. So this test is also a stability test. Some rom/kernel combinations simply fail to complete the test.

Here is the index of all my mido benchmarks compilations:

• Treble Oreo Roms ranking table - post #390.
    • Latest preview of Treble Kernels - post #413.
    • Latest preview of Treble Roms - post #343.
    • Previous preview of kernels benchmarks - post #256.
    • Previous Kernel normalized scores and ranking tables - post #273.
    • Non-Treble Oreo & Nougat Roms - post #4.
    • Previous Compilations - Roms & Kernel - post #5.

04-May-2018 - Kernel Poll Results:

I had 75 votes in my kernel poll. Thanks to you all. Here are the poll results:

# Votes / Kernel
    34 FrancoKernel
    12 ElectraBlue
    09 KudKernel
    06 Xenial
    04 Velvet
    03 Revolt
    03 Stormguard
    02 None of the above
    02 ZPX Inferno
    00 Chewy-Weeb
    75 Total Votes!

The following is the series of Nougat and non-treble Oreo Roms prepared between February and April 2018.

Let me first say that is not a "best rom" thread. There is no absolute best rom. What is best for one user may not be best for another. To give a simple example, battery is very important for some users while performance is priority for others.

Benchmark results are usually misleading, but PC Mark battery life benchmark shines by using day to day tasks to measure phone performance and battery drain. It repeats a series of tasks including web browsing, photo and video editing, text editing and data manipulation.

For each rom I made a clean install and a simple setup with basic settings and a few apps necessary to monitor/admin the runs.

The tests are run with the screen brightness calibrated at 200 lumens as required by PC Mark and all sound levels set to zero, so results are better suited for comparison.

Each benchmark run takes over 8 hours. So this test is also a stability test. Some rom/kernel combinations simply fail to complete the test.

It took almost three weeks to run these tests with two midos dedicated for it 24/7!

If you want to learn more about PC Mark take a look at the site: PC Mark for Android.

For this compilation I picked the following roms:

Of course I could not use all the latest builds, remember it takes weeks to run all benchmarks.

Enough talk. Now Let's see the results:

PC%20Mark%20Battery%20Tests%20mido%20-%202018-0414%20RR.png

PC%20Mark%20Battery%20Tests%20mido%20-%202018-0403%20Etc.png

Score is a performance index - the higher the better.

SOT (Screen On Time) is an estimate of the number of hours the device may be used until battery drops dead (from 100% to 0%). It's a very good estimate because the test starts with the battery at 86% and ends when the battery drops to 20%.

There is no clear advantage comparing Oreo roms. They all offer similar performance and battery drain.

Nougat RR is still better in both performance and battery drain, again with no expressive advantage over Oreo.

So any of there roms will serve you well and you should pick one based mainly on the features you want.

25-Feb-2018 Update:

Added RR-O Official. Its performance score is similar to other Oreo roms, but SOT is a little behind - 10:37 hours - one hour less than average. Not a big problem because any number over 10 hours is probably good enough for most people.

07-Mar-2018 Update:

Added RR-O Alexey's build. Its performance score and SOT are below other Oreo roms averages. When compared to official RRO SOT is a little better - 11:06 x 10:37 hours and performance score is worse - 4235 x 4763. My benchmark was done with 2018-0303 build and Alexey has a new build almost everyday. I plan to benchmark it again sometime in the future.

24-Mar-2018 Update:

Added @EndLess's RRO and @Adesh15's AOSiP.

This time I broke the results spreadsheet into two, one for Resurrection Remix builds and one for all other Oreo builds.

Adding two more roms once again proves that there is no major difference between Oreo roms. Any one of these roms offers similar performance and battery SOT.

The new RRO build by @EndLess offers the best combination of performance ans battery for Oreo RR. Still Nougat roms have better figures and there is the RRO LuisBUILD by @8224Freak still to be tested.

For the other Oreo roms, the newcomer AOSiP has a slight disadvantage compared to the others. But again this should not influence your choice. Features should be the deciding factor.

03-Apr-2018 Update:

Added @khan_frd2002's Omni and @Alexey71's LineageOS Extended.

Again no surprises. Omni is very fluid, but has slightly less than average SOT. LA Extended has less than average performance and a good SOT.

All tested roms so far are more than capable to serve you well.

14-Apr-2018 Update:

Added RRO by @EndLess 2018-0407 and RRO by @8224Freak LuisBUILD 2018-0405.

RR Oreo roms are evolving, but still RR Nougat roms have better battery/performance.

@EndLess's RRO reached 12 hours SOT, with below average performance - score was 3878.

@8224Freak's has a better compromise of battery/performance, with 11:29 SOT and 4645 performance score.

Thanks @y2ksnoop for the following extra information, based on his usage experience:

The Endless rom has downclocked the CPU to 1.6GHz for better battery life. Though the bench scores are low, there isn't any hiccups in day to usage. The rom is really smooth and games do run fine without heating for a extended time. The thermal management is excellent and the throttling doesn't kick in early. It's the best RR stable build for day to day usage. The next best would be Luis RR Oreo rom which has SE Linux mode enforced by default.
    Hi Folks!

I was travelling overseas with little time for XDA.

Just got back and will soon restart the benchmarks.

I guess now it is time for Pie.
    Finally this kernel series is done!! :D

I will have to rework the OP. :p

In the meantime here are the final results:

PC%20Mark%20Battery%20Tests%20mido%20-%202018-0503%20Kernels.png

PC%20Mark%20Battery%20Tests%20mido%20-%202018-0513%20Kernels.png

Newly added kernels are FrancoKernel r6 and KudKernel r17.

Two kernels failed the benchmark: Weeb and Velvet t6.8 (test build - so it is no surprise it fails).

Next benchmark series will be treble roms. I am already benchmarking EndLess's RRO treble build.