$20 Bounty for helping recover contacts from GV backup

Search This thread

karandpr

Senior Mod | DC Lead | MC
Staff member
Feb 20, 2011
Xiaomi Redmi 4a
Nokia 6.1 Plus (Nokia X6)
I have a Google Voice backup(Titanium and TWRP) with my contacts that are lost from my Google account and I've been trying to recover them with all the associated data(pic/birthday/etc). I've had no luck on my own or asking elsewhere.

https://www.reddit.com/r/androidapps/comments/mqeb7n

From the reddit thread you have

--> Disable Sync
--> Restore Backup
You can see your contacts here

--> Go to contacts app
--> Select all contacts
--> Click share button
You will get a .vcf file
--> Download .vcf file
--> Go to contacts on web and import the .vcf file.
--> They should be available on Sync again

Reactions: Oswald Boelcke

Newbie8000

Jan 17, 2019

--> Disable Sync
--> Restore Backup

--> Go to contacts app
--> Select all contacts
--> Click share button
You will get a .vcf file
--> Download .vcf file
Contacts are only in Voice not the contacts app

karandpr

Senior Mod | DC Lead | MC
Staff member
Feb 20, 2011
Xiaomi Redmi 4a
Nokia 6.1 Plus (Nokia X6)
Contacts are only in Voice not the contacts app
Thats a bit weird. Contacts sync was an issue in older androids that's why I had .vcf backups
Well, I am not sure what DB google voice uses, but if it's not encrypted, you can view it in DB viewer for SQLite and export the contacts as CSV.
and probably import that into you google contacts.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
You should save a couple copies on multiple hdds/flash drives. People forget to back up these small databases... until they're gone😖
Maybe there's a copy on a old sim card?

Newbie8000

Jan 17, 2019
You should save a couple copies on multiple hdds/flash drives. People forget to back up these small databases... until they're gone😖
Maybe there's a copy on a old sim card?
Yeah never thought to back them up. I just really hate that I can see them but have no idea how to get them to anywhere else. Unfortunately they have only ever been in my Google account.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Yeah never thought to back them up. I just really hate that I can see them but have no idea how to get them to anywhere else. Unfortunately they have only ever been in my Google account.
I had a similar experience and but had backed them up. For whatever reason chunks of the contacts vanished.
It's important to keep copies that aren't on that device at all. In a blink of an eye a virus or rootkit could destroy them all.
I use multiple hdds that aren't synced at the same time so at least most of my data is safe no matter what happens. Cloud stuff can get wiped or become inaccessible too so I put little faith in it.

Maybe an old phone you have, some is better than none. Backed up on a laptop or by a forgotten app maybe?
Maybe still stored on Google... worth a try? Google backup might take a day or so to restore them and may not even indicate they were saved. May work even if backup has been disabled by enabling it again. Google's a mess.

Reactions: galaxys

Newbie8000

Jan 17, 2019
You need to search your brain if the Google backup is gone.
Maybe you backed them up long ago on another hdd or flash drive.
Samsung cloud?
A carrier based app?
Think and search. An old laptop or PC hdd?

You can't retrieve what isn't there though...
I've looked and no luck unfortunately.
I can see them in the GV app and at this point it isn't a huge deal to retype them from scratch, but at least some of the photos are irreplaceable.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Exactly, they are cached somehow/where but no way to export them.
You're rooted? So you should have full access, right?
Try MIXexplorer to search for them.

Last edited:

Newbie8000

Jan 17, 2019
From what I can tell they are buried in some sort of database.

Reactions: blackhawk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have a Google Voice backup(Titanium and TWRP) with my contacts that are lost from my Google account and I've been trying to recover them with all the associated data(pic/birthday/etc). I've had no luck on my own or asking elsewhere.

https://www.reddit.com/r/androidapps/comments/mqeb7n

--> Disable Sync
    --> Restore Backup

--> Go to contacts app
    --> Select all contacts
    --> Click share button
    You will get a .vcf file
    --> Download .vcf file
    I had a similar experience and but had backed them up. For whatever reason chunks of the contacts vanished.
    It's important to keep copies that aren't on that device at all. In a blink of an eye a virus or rootkit could destroy them all.
    I use multiple hdds that aren't synced at the same time so at least most of my data is safe no matter what happens. Cloud stuff can get wiped or become inaccessible too so I put little faith in it.

Maybe an old phone you have, some is better than none. Backed up on a laptop or by a forgotten app maybe?
    Maybe still stored on Google... worth a try? Google backup might take a day or so to restore them and may not even indicate they were saved. May work even if backup has been disabled by enabling it again. Google's a mess.
    From what I can tell they are buried in some sort of database.
    Don't know which or how to browse the database :\
    As I mentioned before you can use SQLite Browser https://sqlitebrowser.org/ to view database. Just dump the files with .sqlite or .db extension and view it.