[2013.04.11][2.3.1+] USB Host Diagnostics v1.3

Search This thread

no_cannabis

Jun 6, 2009
Toronto
No love for Motorola RAZR GSM on 4.0.4. When I connect keyboard a notification appears to choose the input, but with a flash drive - nothing.

taronas

Dec 20, 2010
Root only?

on the Huawei MediaPad 7" it reports

Code:
Verdict
OS support	3rd party apps
Yes			Rooted

Is there some way (custom kernel?) to make 3rd party apps fully supported? The Tivizen app does not recognize the DVB-T Stick and the DSLR app ignores a connected D90 :(

thanks

NoteGarner2020

Sep 10, 2007
Nashville
Will any kernel work on any ICS rom I am currently using Virtuous ROM ICS alpha 3 build. I wanted to connect my Camera for DSLR controller. Please help me out with this.

brian1029hk

Feb 18, 2012
Nice App!
It would be even better if you can explain the concepts of those terminology?
1. Android API: Claims support / Classes found / Device Detected?
2. Rooted API: Claims support / Device Detected?
As for kernel?

Thank you~

mohsyn

Sep 22, 2012
Does not work on Micromax Tab P300 (momo9 Ployer compatible)

chainfire's supported devices page reports that Host is OS supported / Rooted

Im on ICS 4.0.3 - rooted

USB Host diagnostic does not do anything except ask me if device is recognized which it is not

Is this a Kernel driver issue or the cable has to be given additional power because on same cable my point and shoot cam is working fine getting registered as Mass Storage

Cheers

karlmueller

Jul 22, 2008
on the Huawei MediaPad 7" it reports

Code:
Verdict
OS support	3rd party apps
Yes			Rooted

Is there some way (custom kernel?) to make 3rd party apps fully supported? The Tivizen app does not recognize the DVB-T Stick and the DSLR app ignores a connected D90 :(

thanks

I'm also really interested in what the above result exactly means. I assume that it means that the device has to be rooted for 3rd party apps to be able to use the USB OTG feature.

But if the device is rooted will 3rd party apps then be able to use the USB OTG feature like they could on a device with gets reported as "3rd party apps: YES" ?

Unfortunately I can't just try it because I don't have an Android phone yet but I'm rather looking for one for a college project in which USB OTG support for third party apps is required. I'm thinking about getting an Xperia U because it seems like one of the "cheapest" devices with USB OTG support but before I go ahead and buy it I would really love to know if it'll actually function as a fully USB OTG capable device once it's rooted.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Regards,

karlmueller

notthere

Mar 18, 2011
I just wish that people would be able to enter the names of their roms/kernels. Because I for one have JZO54K/JRO03L and it's just impossible to find out that that is Slim Bean 3.1.0 with the default kernel it comes with.

But even worse - I find these reports of people getting USB host to work on their SGH-I897's and I can't figure out what roms they are running just based on e.g. "IML74K/eng.onecosmic.20120204.223407". Seems like it might be Team ICSSGS but they haven't released a version for I897 afaik. And Android Open Kang Project may or may not have that signature.

For the past few days I have been trying to mount my seagate 1tb portable usb 2.0 drive to galaxy note 2.
I even formatted the drive to fat 32 format to get it supported and tried different apps from play store. Flashed different roms too.
Now I am on omega version 8 the latest build but still I am not able to use my portable drive with otg cable.
Anyone have similar issue,share with me.
I think many have such issues.

Guys! Help me regarding this. I Googled for solution but didn't get one.
Please help me regarding this or find me a solution.
Thanks.
Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium

shlushka

Nov 10, 2011
galaxy tab 2 10.1

would usb to serial work with these results?

espresso10wifi GT-P5113 JZO54K samsung/espresso10wifibby/espresso10wifi:4.0.3/IML74K/P5113UEALD7:user/release-keys Custom 6 Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Full

MadHatter87

Dec 25, 2012
Some devices detected, some not

Hi,
I've a tablet from China that I want to hack. It claims to have USB OTG support. I tried your app first, but it never detected the device. I entered "dmesg" and looked up the error-messages and found out how to fix it: a android.hardware.usb.host.xml file was missing in the /system/etc/permissions/ folder.
Now it works in so far, that it can detect some devices (like USB stick), but others it doesn't. E.g. brother printer or Logitech USB mouse (although the mouse itself works, I can see and use the cursor, however, it is not detected as a device).
There is another app called "USB Device Info" which displays a list of connected USB devices. It finds the mouse in the linux category, however it is not detected by the Android USB API (the device list is empty for some devices).

dmesg gives me the following messages when connecting the "not recognized devices":
Code:
<4>[  409.120000] insmod_host_driver
<4>[  409.120000]
<4>[  409.120000] [sw_hcd0]: sw_usb_host0_enable start
<4>[  409.130000] -------sw_hcd0_soft_disconnect---------
<4>[  409.140000] [sw_hcd0]: open_usb_clock
<4>[  409.190000] [hcd0]: open, 0x60(0xe067), 0xcc(0x143)
<4>[  409.190000] [sw_hcd0]: host_init_state = 0
<4>[  409.200000] [sw_hcd_host0]: Set USB Power ON
<4>[  409.210000] [sw_hcd0]: sw_usb_host0_enable end
<4>[  409.380000]
<4>[  409.380000] ------------IRQ CONNECT-------------
<4>[  409.380000]
<4>[  409.540000] [sw_hcd]: reset port.
<4>[  409.600000] [sw_hcd]: reset port stopped.
<4>[  409.600000] spurious?
<6>[  409.660000] usb 1-1: new low speed USB device number 2 using sw_hcd_host0
<4>[  409.660000] [sw_hcd]: reset port.
<4>[  409.720000] [sw_hcd]: reset port stopped.
<4>[  409.780000] [sw_hcd]: sw_hcd_h_disable, epnum = 0
<4>[  409.780000] [sw_hcd]: sw_hcd_h_disable, epnum = 0
<6>[  409.840000] input: B16_b_02 USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse as /devices/platform/sw_hcd_host0/usb1/1-1/1-1:1.0/input/input4
<4>[  409.840000] [sw_hcd]: sw_hcd_urb_dequeue, sw_hcd(df8a24ec, 0x0, 0x3f),urb(da981d80, 5, 0), dev = 2, ep = 1, dir = in
<4>[  409.840000] WRN:L3143(drivers/usb/sun5i_usb/hcd/core/sw_hcd_host.c):ERR: not support type(3)
<4>[  409.840000] sw_hcd_cleanup_urb: qh(0xd27e1980,0x1,0x3), urb(0xda981d80,5,0), ep(0xdf8a25dc,2,0xd27e1980,0x  (null))
<6>[  409.880000] generic-usb 0003:046D:C025.0001: input: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [B16_b_02 USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse] on usb-sw_hcd_host0-1/input0
<6>[  411.840000] init: waitpid returned pid 975, status = 00000000
<3>[  411.840000] init: untracked pid 975 exited

Does anybody have an idea what could be the reason for that?

yaqwsxyaqwsx

Jan 7, 2009
Hi, I tried to use Android USB Host API to connect my custom USB device to no-name china tablet. I didn't expect any problems since the tablet managed all kinds of USB gadgets - mices, keyboards, bluetooth dongles etc. Unfotunately, the API cannot enumerate my device. So I tried to diagnose the probelm and I tried app called USB Host Controller. This app could enumerate my device with no problems.
Then I tried your app. The app shows Android API doesn't claim support. But your app also mentions "Rooted API" - which was able to detect my device. What is the rooted API and how can I use it in my application? I just need to enumerate the device, open two bulk endpoints and write or read data from them.

yurkomik

Nov 3, 2010
Usb serial

Hi, I tried to use Android USB Host API to connect my custom USB device to no-name china tablet. I didn't expect any problems since the tablet managed all kinds of USB gadgets - mices, keyboards, bluetooth dongles etc. Unfotunately, the API cannot enumerate my device. So I tried to diagnose the probelm and I tried app called USB Host Controller. This app could enumerate my device with no problems.
Then I tried your app. The app shows Android API doesn't claim support. But your app also mentions "Rooted API" - which was able to detect my device. What is the rooted API and how can I use it in my application? I just need to enumerate the device, open two bulk endpoints and write or read data from them.

SAME PROBLEM!
rooted Android 4.1, dual core Rockchip Android minPC UG007/Imito MX1(same hardware), Working devices: active USB hub, mouse, keyboard, usb touchscreen, usb storage (flash drive, portable hdd, camera).
usb-serial for android test app from google, arduino commander, USB Device info App doesn't see any usb host api devices. USB Device info sees all devices in linux.
"lsusb" - sees arduino uno R3
"lsmod" - doesn't see arduino or usbserial module
there no ttyUSBX device in /dev/ folder
"dmesg | tail" shows that arduino is found. It assign it some serial numbers. No error output.
there is corresponding to arduino device folder in /sys/bus/usb/ with some files there. sys/bus/usb-serial/ have no arduino files or folders.
Arduino uses standard usbserial protocol so there no need of drivers for linux and mac os, in windows you need only inf file.
Are there any ideas what's wrong? how can I fix it? I need /dev/ttyUSBO device to be created by android or USB host api to work with serial devices.
Thank you for any help.

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 PM ----------

USB Device Info
Device Path: /sys/bus/usb/devices/2-1.1.2/
Device Class: Communication Device (0x2)
Vendor ID: 2341
Vendor Name (reported): Arduino
Vendor Name (from DB): Arduino SA
Product ID: 0043
Product Name (reported):
Product Name (from DB): Uno R3 (CDC ACM)

Additional Info
USB Version: 1.10
Speed: 12
Protocol: 00
Maximum Power: 100mA
Serial Number: 6493534313335101C221

it look's like dmesg just see device but do nothing with that.

cmcooper

Jan 14, 2013
I may have missed this somewhere else, but in the verdict section if a no is given for 3rd party apps and yes for OS, would rooting solve the problem?

yurkomik

Nov 3, 2010
Yes. I fixed the problem. First I had to create permissions xml file for usb host called android.hardware.usb.host.xml in etc/permissions. You can google for it's few lines of code. After software sees usb host api and device is detected by it.
Then i had to find driver modules for usb serial such as ftdi_sio.ko and insmod it. Then chmod my device to 777 mode. Copying module to /system/lib/modules and writing insmod to init.rc doesn't help as init.rc is restored every reboot in my device UG007 android mini PC. Had to put instmod and chmod commands to my program. By the way if anybody need any modules there allot of them compiled for rk3060 arm v7 processor in mk808 development brunch in armtvtech forum.
Good luck!

---------- Post added at 12:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 AM ----------

I may have missed this somewhere else, but in the verdict section if a no is given for 3rd party apps and yes for OS, would rooting solve the problem?

What is the problem? I had opposite situation so I am not sure. But perhaps OS support mean you have usb host anabled. If you need direct communication with usb device from your app you will need root. Otherwise use native USB api which is prefereble.I use python so direct communication is simpler as one line of code create object from device another read or write serial data. It's so easy ;)

Reactions: yaqwsxyaqwsx

yaqwsxyaqwsx

Jan 7, 2009
To yurkomik: Thank you! You helped me a lot. After adding the XML file to the system, the USB Host API works. I've already tested it with the STM32F4 Discovery kit and it works great!

_sem_

Dec 9, 2011
SGS2 OTG problem

Hi, I'm looking for advice for my SGS2 OTG issue, stock ICS 4.0.3.
It seems like OTG is working intermittently or so. Spotted this when trying out Helicon Remote app with a Nikon D90. Connects, disconnects, connects again, disconnects etc, then the app complains over connectivity. Similarly, flashdrives are first mounted, then unmounted unexpectedly, then reported as damaged (though fine on a PC). Same with 3 OTG cables.
I'm positive flashdrives once worked, but this might have been on GB 2.3.6 before update. Or it might be due to the replaced the USB&MIC board in the phone (would not charge), both boards rev.2.2.
USB Host Diagnostics says GT-I9100, IML74K/XWLPD, verdict Yes/Full.
Ordinary USB storage connection to a PC works ok.

Should I try another USB&MIC board or might this be a software thing?

ldrolez

Apr 10, 2011
drolez.com
hi !
I have an old Sony Xperia Pro mk16i, and usb otg works fine, I often use keyboards + mice.
But your software says that it's not compatible...
I'm ready to help you fix that problem :)
Cheers,
Ludo

smallyetzon

Jan 23, 2012
Hi Im having trouble with my usb port, I dont know whats the issue becouse I got the usb mini port fixed and still my computer wont recognize it nor show the icon in notification, I used this app and the unique code was 159947 please help me find out if is hardware or software problem thanks

elvis56

Jul 11, 2010
Problem with iMobile IQ9

I recently bought the imobile iq9 mobile in Thailand and it's a fantastic phone but USB otg seems to be non functional. It's a MT6585 based device which could/should support USB otg. USB host diagnostics gives me the code 203085. I have tried stickmount, usb host controller and usb otg helper but no luck so far.

Android api claims support, classes are found, kernel claims support but no devices detected. I can get to the engineer menu and enable some USB functions but that doesn't seem to make any difference. Any ideas what I could try to change? Xposed framework does run on this device, not sure if that could help.

Perhaps useful, my kernel seems to be linux version 3.4.5 ([email protected]) which gives just 2 google results, for my imobile iq9 and the meizu kiss.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    USB Host Diagnostics determines your device's USB host capabilities.

USB host is a very powerful feature of recent Android based smartphones and tablets, but on many firmwares (both stock and custom) the feature is somewhat broken.

For example, at launch the Galaxy Nexus told all the apps and the Market that it supported USB host, but USB host did not actually work (this was fixed in the Android 4.0.2 update). This broke several apps.

That is just one example of many. There are even cases where OEMs advertise USB host support, but the device does not support it at all. It appears as if USB host support isn't tested by Google or the OEMs when they push out new firmwares and devices at all.

As we cannot depend on Google or the OEMs to correctly provide information regarding USB host support, and the Android framework will regularly lie about it to both the Market as well as Android apps, this application was created so you can test your device's USB host capabilities for yourself.

If you allow it, the app will also submit your results to my website, so together we can create a complete database of devices and firmwares and their USB host support.

This tool may also come in handy for those porting firmwares.

Requirements:
    - Android 2.3.1 or newer
    - (Optional) Root
    - USB OTG cable (unless your device has a fullsize USB port)
    - USB memory stick, or another USB device to test the connection with

The result database is available here:
    http://usbhost.chainfire.eu/

The download can be found on Market here:
    http://pkg.to/eu.chainfire.usbhostdiagnostics

It is also attached: DO NOT REDISTRIBUTE

(v1.2: 9284)
    Changelog for v1.3:

- Detects some common issues with firmwares that can cause apps to be unable to use USB host, and if you are rooted, offers to (try to) fix the problem
    - Gives you a unique code that can be used to locate your result, if uploaded to server
    - Added option to follow me
    - Fixed some more crashes
    - Disabled rooted API for Jelly Bean and newer
    - API 14 and higher get Holo look now
    What about Galaxy S5 Mini G800F with Lollipop 5.1.1?

Testet my S5 mini with your app and an android endoscope camera.
    Despite Kernel and API claims "yes" the camera isn't recognized. See following screenshots. Is the OS the Problem?

3a4d189b109fcbba0eeda4c12e9f4101.jpg

9ff4eefdfa8757b4a50f997b4203c827.jpg

Gesendet von meinem SM-G800F mit Tapatalk
    galaxys2 GT-I9100 IML74K samsung/GT-I9100/GT-I9100:4.0.3/IML74K/XXLPB:user/release-keys Custom 2 Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Full

USB Sticks fail to detect the only thing I can get working is your DSLR application.

Try my StickMount app from the Market, it's actually for the G.Nexus. Your build just doesn't have automounting and such enabled... doesn't mean USB host isn't working :)
    Try my StickMount app from the Market, it's actually for the G.Nexus. Your build just doesn't have automounting and such enabled... doesn't mean USB host isn't working :)

Sweet that works!! Detects FAT32 SD cards but didnt detect NTFS USB stick.

Is that something the CM9 devs can change to enable it by default?