[2013.04.12][4.0.3+] Hotspot Control v1.1

Search This thread

Chainfire

Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
Hotspot Control is a tiny app that enables or disables Portable Hotspot functionality of Android. Usually you could just do this in Android settings, but on some devices this option is hidden, or only works if you have a SIM inserted.

Hotspot Control does away with those requirements, assuming that the hotspot functionality itself is actually still present and operational on the device. Rooting is *usually* not required.

THIS IS NOT DESIGNED TO BEAT YOUR CARRIER'S TETHERING PROTECTION - For some people it does (it depends on how that protection is implemented) but this is not what the app was made for. It's no use complaining that it doesn't do this for you. This app is designed to circumvent some issues when setting up a local hotspot so your devices can communicate with eachother, not with the internet (though that also works on several devices).

You can configure the access point (hotspot) name and password, encryption used is alway WPA2 AES + TKIP, to keep it simple.

On some devices that do not have a cellular data connection capability (like the Nexus 10) the hotspot will not give out IP addresses - the app will auto-detect this situation and fix it, but root is required for that option. Note that without root on these devices, the connected devices can still communicate if you configure their IP addresses manually, but that is something for the advanced user.

I personally need this to create a private network (even without a SIM, and thus without an actual internet connection) in the field between a number of my devices. Some genius at Samsung decided that my Note II shouldn't create an access point if no SIM is present - I beg to differ! Maybe someone else has use for this as well.

This is probably not useful for more than a handful of people, but still ... I had to build it for myself anyway, might as well share it !

Download from Google Play

REDISTRIBUTION IS *NOT* ALLOWED

Attachments

• screenshot-2-small.png
    screenshot-2-small.png
    45.2 KB · Views: 22,649
  • HotspotControl-v1.1.apk
    80.1 KB · Views: 40,381
Last edited:

Chainfire

Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
Changelogs

2013.04.12 - v1.1
- Added (automatically detected) feature to fix the issue with some devices that do not have cellular data capability (like the Nexus 10) that they do not give out IP addresses. Unfortunately this does require root to fix.

Last edited:

B1nny

XDA Portal Team / Retired Forum Moderator
May 18, 2008
Thanks a lot! It will come in handy sometime for sure!

Svid

Sep 8, 2010
TLV
OnePlus 8T
Google Pixel 6
Works well for now
Edit: when i type hotspot name it doubles the name and password.i mean when i set name xda for example it shows xdaxda
Sent from my INVERTED Tapatalk powered by AOKP

Last edited:

GEKTHEBOSS

Mar 22, 2012
You are a Genius! Im waiting this from some time and then now its here!
Thanks,will report asap.

ladakh70

Mar 13, 2013
Hi, anyone knows if this app enables wi-fi tethering for the Galaxy Note with Paranoidandroid rom?
Thanks

Inviato dal mio GT-N7000 con Tapatalk 2

trevmar

Oct 30, 2010
A sideload version, please

Google Play says my International Note N7000 is "not compatible" and will not download the app to me. Please put up a sideload apk so we can at least give you feedback on what works, and what doesn't :)

Last edited:

pathuri97

Nov 11, 2010
Bangalore
Omg! Omg!! Omg!!!

I was looking for this kind of app for quite some time now.
It is exactly like WIFI DIRECT - but for the devices which don't have this option,
hotspot control is a god send one.

I'm able to connect/transfer files/use remote control on my android TV box (MINIX NEO X5) from GALAXY TAB 10.1.
All this "without router" + NO WIFI + NO INTERNET.

Fantastic job by CHAINFIRE.
Keep-up the good work.
Great service to android community.:laugh:

Tiny suggestion : Somewhere pl say that the NAME and password should be minimum of 8 characters and above.
If it is done already.... pl ignore

Last edited:

Chainfire

Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
It is exactly like WIFI DIRECT - but for the devices which don't have this option,

I'm able to connect/transfer files/use remote control on my android TV box (MINIX NEO X5) from GALAXY TAB 10.1.

Keep-up the good work.

Tiny suggestion : Somewhere pl say that the NAME and password should be minimum of 8 characters and above.

Why is everybody not seeing this ? I've gotten about 30 questions in total here, through PM, and through email, about the name and password of the hotspot - it says "8-32 ASCII characters" right on the button you click to modify the name, and "8-63 ASCII characters" right on the button you click to modify the password. It's going to be hard to make it any more clear than that !

matgras

Jun 2, 2012
I tried to install on my German N7000 2.3.6 XXLA4 TW but received "Problem parsing the package." The apk looks intact when I examine it, no obvious file corruption. And, of course, 'unknown sources' is enabled. Is it perhaps not GingerBread compatible?

Look at title 0_o

sony xperia ray
ics 4.0.4 rooted
stock rom

Reactions: trevmar

funw0rld

Apr 14, 2013
Works fine on Micromax-P275 tablet

Thanks a lot for the app. Its really nice. I could get wifi hotspot up and running on Micromax-P275 tablet without any difficulty.

I wanted to share my internet connection over the wifi hotspot but found that the routes were not getting set in the mobile. I am not sure where the problem lies. I had to run the following set of commands to get the desired routing done.
----------------
<pre>
#!/system/bin/sh
# script to enable internet sharing over wifi in micromax tablet.
# run this with root permission after starting the wifi "Hotspot Control" software.

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
/system/bin/iptables -F
/system/bin/iptables -F -t nat
/system/bin/iptables -I FORWARD -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
/system/bin/iptables -I FORWARD -s 192.168.42.0/24 -j ACCEPT
/system/bin/iptables -P FORWARD DROP
/system/bin/iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -s 192.168.42.0/24 -j MASQUERADE

</pre>
-------------

Was the app supposed to allow sharing of the internet connection?

Pielvrx

Dec 27, 2010
Northridge
Google Pixel 5
Why is everybody not seeing this ? I've gotten about 30 questions in total here, through PM, and through email, about the name and password of the hotspot - it says "8-32 ASCII characters" right on the button you click to modify the name, and "8-63 ASCII characters" right on the button you click to modify the password. It's going to be hard to make it any more clear than that !

i will confirm that it is very easy to see.

quick question, running cm which has the hot spot toggle, anyways im on tmo and use to get a screen on my chromebook that said i needed to get a tethering plan. i actually havent tethered in a while cuz of it. i just tried your app and i am able to connect my chromebook to my phones data. has something changed from tmo or is it your beautiful app? thanks.

Last edited:
i will confirm that it is very easy to see.

quick question, running cm which has the hot spot toggle, anyways im on tmo and use to get a screen on my chromebook that said i needed to get a tethering plan. i actually havent tethered in a while cuz of it. i just tried your app and i am able to connect my chromebook to my phones data. has something changed from tmo or is it your beautiful app? thanks.

I can't speak for this cool app, but on CM and AOKP (ASOP roms) tethering was not initially functional on Jelly Bean 10.1 . This now has been fixed on most AOSP 10.1 roms. So it could be that or both.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hotspot Control is a tiny app that enables or disables Portable Hotspot functionality of Android. Usually you could just do this in Android settings, but on some devices this option is hidden, or only works if you have a SIM inserted.

Hotspot Control does away with those requirements, assuming that the hotspot functionality itself is actually still present and operational on the device. Rooting is *usually* not required.

THIS IS NOT DESIGNED TO BEAT YOUR CARRIER'S TETHERING PROTECTION - For some people it does (it depends on how that protection is implemented) but this is not what the app was made for. It's no use complaining that it doesn't do this for you. This app is designed to circumvent some issues when setting up a local hotspot so your devices can communicate with eachother, not with the internet (though that also works on several devices).

You can configure the access point (hotspot) name and password, encryption used is alway WPA2 AES + TKIP, to keep it simple.

On some devices that do not have a cellular data connection capability (like the Nexus 10) the hotspot will not give out IP addresses - the app will auto-detect this situation and fix it, but root is required for that option. Note that without root on these devices, the connected devices can still communicate if you configure their IP addresses manually, but that is something for the advanced user.

I personally need this to create a private network (even without a SIM, and thus without an actual internet connection) in the field between a number of my devices. Some genius at Samsung decided that my Note II shouldn't create an access point if no SIM is present - I beg to differ! Maybe someone else has use for this as well.

This is probably not useful for more than a handful of people, but still ... I had to build it for myself anyway, might as well share it !

Download from Google Play

REDISTRIBUTION IS *NOT* ALLOWED
    --- another reserved post ---
    Changelogs

2013.04.12 - v1.1
    - Added (automatically detected) feature to fix the issue with some devices that do not have cellular data capability (like the Nexus 10) that they do not give out IP addresses. Unfortunately this does require root to fix.
    Google Play says my International Note N7000 is "not compatible" and will not download the app to me. Please put up a sideload apk so we can at least give you feedback on what works, and what doesn't :)

Attached to first post ...

Keep-up the good work.