2013 Dell Venue Tablet - Rooted!

Search This thread

Astral Dee

May 7, 2011
I am waiting for the BF deal to get Venue 8 for $129. I also want to know if it will be possible to root it.

I am newbie to rooting as well, but I guess the first thing is to unlock the bootloader. Am I right?

What is Dell's previous attitude to locking the bootloader on their Android devices? Will it be possible to unlock this device's bootloader?

Last edited:

arclight25

May 17, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
I would imagine that root will be possible at some point. It is running pretty much vanilla android. (I am glad dell didn't add all their bloatware)

$129 is an awsome price for this tablet. It tests out on Antutu much better than the Note 8.0 and $129 puts it almost $200 less. (Not counting what Samsung will do for its own BF deals)

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

chairsz

Aug 31, 2011
Darkside
Amazon just dropped the price by $20. $109 now and the 32G was $159. I went with 32G. :good:

which amazon site? i just checked both us and canada site and the us isnt even mentioning the 32 gig and the 16 gig is still 179 and canada site doesnt sell em yet this is valid as of 657am eastern standard time

stew1411

Feb 24, 2011
Ardmore
I just ordered one from newegg. They're offering the 8" 32gb model for $159.99. Amazon has the 7" 16gb model for $159.99.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Astral Dee

May 7, 2011
So, I ultimately decided not to get this 8 inch tablet. Instead got the Nexus 7, which should offer immediate OTA updates and more developer support.

The official Dell support for the tablet seems to be lacking as there are two or three issues still unresolved at their official forums. And I think the Venue 8 Pro Windows 8.1 tablet is getting much more popular, so Dell might offer more support to their Windows line.

deltatux

Apr 17, 2011
Toronto
Maybe all we need is a Clockworkmod recovery or TWRP recovery?

I found out that the bootloader is unlocked, that means it's ripe for the pickings: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2551863

EDIT: I gave some more thoughts into this rooting method and realized that using Motochopper wouldn't work because it will attempt to install an ARM su binary. The Dell Venue 7 & 8 are Intel x86 tablets, we must find another rooting method. This is just purely a hypothesis as I haven't done any detailed analysis of the Motochopper exploit, but maybe we can substitute the ARM su binary with an x86 one from the Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 or ASUS MemoPad FHD 10.1 forums.

I know that both of these tablets have successfully gained root, the Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 requires the tablet to flash a modified system image with su already pushed into it through ODIN and the ASUS MemoPad FHD 10.1 requires the same process through fastboot. I know fastboot is already unlocked on the Dell Venue 7/8, all there is now is to find a way to include the x86 su binary into the Dell Venue 7/8 system image and we can just flash it into our system.

This will likely mean that we need to find a way to extract the system image from these tablets and then manually install the x86 su library to /system/xbin/su and then also bundle SuperSU.apk on the system as well.

deltatux

Last edited:

xdajunkman

Nov 11, 2007
With an unlocked bootloader root should be possible without too much trouble. I have gone through this process on an older phone, and hopefully we can work it out for this device without the need to get a real developer interested in the device. From my experience, the starting point is to get ahold of an image of the boot partition for the device. This can be unpacked, modified, then used to boot a device that has an unlocked bootloader. If that works, a temporary root shell can be opened on the device and permanent root obtained from there. If Dell has released the firmware for the device, then getting the boot.img should be easy. If not, then once an update is released the new boot.img can usually be extracted from the update package. I have looked around a bit, but could not find the firmware for this device. If anyone else can find an image of the current firmware, post your findings here. Otherwise, I will keep looking as well.

I am actually still waiting for my device to arrive, and will start tinkering once I get it. In the interim, has anyone tried some of the other root methods for 4.2?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2130276
http://www.srsroot.com

NoUseToRush

Dec 7, 2010
With an unlocked bootloader root should be possible without too much trouble. I have gone through this process on an older phone, and hopefully we can work it out for this device without the need to get a real developer interested in the device. From my experience, the starting point is to get ahold of an image of the boot partition for the device. This can be unpacked, modified, then used to boot a device that has an unlocked bootloader. If that works, a temporary root shell can be opened on the device and permanent root obtained from there. If Dell has released the firmware for the device, then getting the boot.img should be easy. If not, then once an update is released the new boot.img can usually be extracted from the update package. I have looked around a bit, but could not find the firmware for this device. If anyone else can find an image of the current firmware, post your findings here. Otherwise, I will keep looking as well.

I am actually still waiting for my device to arrive, and will start tinkering once I get it. In the interim, has anyone tried some of the other root methods for 4.2?

Framaroot doesn't work: error #7

deltatux

Apr 17, 2011
Toronto

I've been trying to extract boot and system but the methods I know on Linux requires root (dd) so I'm not sure how to extract them.

How about the endurance?

I think you mean battery life, it's pretty decent, not the best out there but still very good.

deltatux

NoUseToRush

Dec 7, 2010
I've been trying to extract boot and system but the methods I know on Linux requires root (dd) so I'm not sure how to extract them.

I think you mean battery life, it's pretty decent, not the best out there but still very good.

deltatux

"pretty decent" is very polite. Personally, I find the battery life mediocre. I know that PressReader is an energy intensive app but Venue 8 should not loose 35-40% of its charge reading a newspaper.

deltatux

Apr 17, 2011
Toronto
"pretty decent" is very polite. Personally, I find the battery life mediocre. I know that PressReader is an energy intensive app but Venue 8 should not loose 35-40% of its charge reading a newspaper.

Not sure how that's possible because I've been playing with a Dell Venue 7, and I can surf the web and play a few light games and it still has about 8 hours of battery life.

Though, not sure what brightness you set the screen to, I manually adjusted the brightness because the Dell Venue 7's auto brightness never seems to get the brightness settings correct, I always find it too bright for my liking and the screen brightness seems to be what eats up the battery the most.

deltatux

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    working on instructions taking screen-shots

working on instructions taking screen-shots:

here are the links to the factory default packages for the toolKIT these are not pre-rooted the toolKIT will root the system once the toolKIT is up its best to restore to default before rooting with the new method. if your device can successfully install the sw-ver1.25 ota update you wont need to flash back to default but i suggest downloading them incase you ever need to restore your device to an unrooted state.

ok, back to instructions now....

factory default images
    Factory Default Device Firmware for Dell Venue 7 jb4.3_sw1.16 + update to jb4.3_sw1.25

Factory Default Device Firmware for Dell Venue 8 jb4.3_sw1.16 + update to jb4.3_sw1.25
    note:
    the Venue 8 are not full factory sw-ver1.16 the boot, recovery, fastboot images are actually the images from sw-ver1.25 they will still allow the update to sw-ver1.25 to complete and then the device will be back to a default unrooted state.
    Is this for real?

Sent from my SGH-I747 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Yes
    I have root on my Dell Venue 8

I am running on 4.2.2 on a Dell Venue 8, don't know if this will work with 4.3 (I suspect that it won't).
    It has been suggested in later posts that it does not work on the Venue 7 but I don't know for sure.

These are the steps ... read them carefully, steps 3 to 7 are commands you need to type at on a command line.

1 - Got cydia Impactor from (http://www.cydiaimpactor.com/)
    2 - Used Impactor to drop SuperSu on /system/xbin/su
    When running Impactor, make sure your tablet is connected to the PC and that you have adb access. Also I suggest making sure your screen is on and unlocked but I don't know if that is really necessary.

3 - adb shell
    4 - /system/xbin/su
    This put me in a root shell

5 - mount -orw,remount /system
    6 - mv /system/bin/su /system/bin/su.org
    7 - ln -s /system/xbin/su /system/bin/su

8 - Installed supersu from the market

9 - Installed Titanium Backup

I have rebooted and restored backed up apps from a different tablet.

NOTE:

After this is complete the command "adb root" will still not work.
    just sharing information still no root access....

jayjr1105 allowed me access to his V8 the only known rooted V8 w/ JB4.3 to dump the contents of /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 (block location of boot, droidboot, recovery) & mmcblk0p8 (android system)

using the same tools and process i used to extracted the kernels/ramdisk for the V8 4.2.2 dumps ive done the same for the 4.3 dumps.
    interesting enough there are a total of 6 kernel/ramdisk in the 4.3 dump compared to the 3 found in the 4.2.2 dumps

i've have only been able to extract the contents of 4 of the 6 ramdisk some interesting things i've noticed so far.

3 of the 6 kernels are the new 3.4.43 kernel, 2 kernels are the old 3.4.34 kernel and 1 kernel is this 3.4.43 built 11 days earlier than the new 3.4.43 kernel puzzling ?

0x001f55e0 boot kernel version: 3.4.43 ([email protected]) #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Dec 21 13:41:59 CST 20
    0x00cb35e0 droidboot kernel version: 3.4.34 ([email protected]) #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Oct 19 10:51:31 CST 20 can't extract ramdisk contents yet
    0x011955e0 recovery kernel version: 3.4.43-00001-ga420d43 ([email protected]) #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Dec 10
    0x02ced5e0 unknown kernel version: 3.4.34 ([email protected]) #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Oct 19 10:51:31 CST 20 can't extract ramdisk contents yet
    0x030d55e0 recovery kernel version: 3.4.43 ([email protected]) #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Dec 21 13:41:59 CST 20
    0x040755e0 droidboot kernel version: 3.4.43 ([email protected]) #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Dec 21 13:41:59 CST 20

i'll upload the dumps over the weekend if i get a chance....
    still need to figure out how to extract the images from mmcblk0p1 as a whole image not just the kernel and ramdisk. needs more research maybe dd if=mmcblk0p1 and specify the starting and stopping addresses.

!!!!!!!!!!! most of this is dangerous risky and just plain stupid i'm just sharing information i recommend no one try any of this unless you know what you are doing !!!!!!!!!!!

i also copied /proc/iomem and /proc/kallsyms as root. to have generic address for hard coding exploits if need.
    re-testing exploits with hard coded address - might of failed because my device is a V7 and the address are from a V8
    hard coding the address in to https://github.com/android-rooting-tools all exploits fail though:

pref_event_exploit after running for awhile, a long long long while, will eventually crash something and force the device or maybe just adb to reboot.
    not sure how to debug what's going on after an hour i just let it over night and when i checked my pc in the morning the command promp dropped out of adb shell????

!!!!!!!!!!! most of this is dangerous risky and just plain stupid i'm just sharing information i recommend no one try any of this unless you know what you are doing !!!!!!!!!!!

droidboot notes:
    droidboot does not check for signatures when flashing the follow through fastboot flash <partition> <ext4.img file>

i have successfully been able to flash an ext4 image i made myself containing a simple test.txt inside, to all these and verified that they flashed

/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 /factory
    /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /config
    /dev/block/mmcblk0p7 /logs

i have successfully been able to flash an ext4 image i made myself containing recovery/command file set to --wipe_data and reboot to recovery and have it execute
    /dev/block/mmcblk0p6 /cache

i have successfully flashed small data.img files but having issues flashing anything larger than 100MB needs more researching maybe possible to flash a built userdata.img
    /dev/block/mmcblk0p9 /data

flashing the /dev/block/mmcblk0p8 /system with the prerooted dump after mounting it as a loop device then repacking it with androids make_ext4fs tool might be possible but i'm not trying until i've figured out flashing data successfully

Confirmed The Venue 7/8 and the HP 1800la are signed with the same platform-keys both update.zip and images, successfully able to flash the images from the HP update.zip to the recovery partition through fastboot,

i knew this more than likely wouldn't boot, when rebooting into recovery, forces device into download mode. (used for factory flashing needs a lot of files we don't have any)
    but no worries when android JB4.3 boots it checks the sha1 of recovery and if it is different than whats specified uses recovery-from-boot to build recovery from the boot partition and writes it to recovery partition.

you might ask why i would even try this what could be gained from this:
    the hp implementation of droidboot has a big hole for granting root access:
    fastboot oem adbdebug stops droidboot and restarts the adb service,
    the flaw is the adb shell drops to a root shell under this mode allowing you to mount the system partition to a tmp directory for rooting.

Venue 7/8 version of droidboot doesn't drop to a root shell
    droidboot from 4.2.2 fastboot oem adbdebug drops to a user shell ( confirmed by jcase before I even bought the Venue 7 )
    droidboot from 4.3 fastboot oem adbdebug not accessable ro.adb.secure is set this needs more researching ro.adb.secure is set in recovery as well

research recovery: failed to mount /misc issue (maybe figuring this out and dropping the pub key for the host computer here will allow adb under these modes.

these are all safe to run under droidboot if you want a real out of box experience as fastboot -w and factory reset only wipes /data & /cache and not factory, config, or logs, first boot rebuilds all there contents.

fastboot oem erase /config
    fastboot oem erase /factory
    fastboot oem erase /cache
    fastboot oem erase /data
    fastboot oem erase /logs

when your finished you need to issue fastboot oem startftm then adb shell rm /logs/* (just like in recovery this is a temp log location and the device writes its contents back to the /dev/block/mmcblk0p7 /logs on reboot or shutdown)
    then issue adb reboot to reboot into android.
    Maybe this will make things easier

started new threads since this one seems to be getting sour faced.

[QA] DELL VENUE 7/8 Intel General Discussion:
    [QA] Dell Venue 7/8 Intel General Discussion

[DEV] DELL VENUE 7/8 Intel Rooting / Development Discussion:
    Dell Venue 7/8 7/8 Intel Rooting / Development Discussion

NO THERE IS STILL NO ROOT METHOD I JUST HOPE THIS MAKES FOR A CALMER ENVIRONMENT AND MOVES US OUT OF THE OLD DELL DEVICE THREAD

dont know if any one will use these threads but ill be posting all my notes and descovies here Dell Venue 7/8 7/8 Intel Rooting / Development Discussion for now.

---------- Post added at 05:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone