2015, 2017, & 2019 Nvidia Shield TV Firmware Repo & Source Code Repo

Search This thread

louforgiveno

Jun 24, 2010
Will this method also work on 8.2.3 stock firmware (with ai upscaling working)?
Not sure i like 9+ on the shield....couldn't playback files i could prior to update...even after 9.1.1 just didn't have the patience to deal with it, and 8.2.3 performs better imo

Reactions: jenneh

jenneh

Will this method also work on 8.2.3 stock firmware (with ai upscaling working)?
Not sure i like 9+ on the shield....couldn't playback files i could prior to update...even after 9.1.1 just didn't have the patience to deal with it, and 8.2.3 performs better imo
I will test it tomorrow and let you know~! 8.2.3 Seems to be what the people on Reddit prefer as well so I will check it out first thing.

Reactions: louforgiveno

louforgiveno

Jun 24, 2010
I will test it tomorrow and let you know~! 8.2.3 Seems to be what the people on Reddit prefer as well so I will check it out first thing.
Thank you for your time!
And yes, 8.2.3 is probably the highest I'll ever go....I'm not a fan of android versions beyond android 9.....10, 11 just seem more apple like with crazy restrictions and obstacles to overcome for basic functionality....even my note 10+ won't be updated past android 9 either.....

Thanks again for your work

Last edited:

jenneh

@louforgiveno I feel discouraged towards later versions of android as well. I find it especially disappointing what features vendors are choosing to use, as well as the features they Omit from the new kernels. For instance, why are we not getting the most out of project treble? It is not even implemented on this device. I think I could really go on and on but I find that feature to be the most perplexing to me to leave out, as it was actually really innovative.

Testing some oddities now while testing 8.2.3 I tried this time to use a separate device with magisk installed to patch the boot.img to see if that would work or if the patch has to be done on a shield. I also tried installing the modded boot.img from the start of a new flash. One or both of these two new scenarios caused a bootloop. Erasing, and reflashing as stock, then will test the modded boot.img one more time to see if it is possible to use images from other devices

jenneh

Okay! So you /Cannot/ use another device to make the modded boot.img. I was curious if I could use an Android Emulator, but somehow it causes problems.

Perhaps its the fact that magisk checks device architecture before running and can detect the x86_64 and builds based off that, perhaps there is another element with keys involved. All ends the same.

For best results, build the boot mod on the same kind of device you are flashing to. (note I am building these for us but a note for anyone building their own)

Another build note is, you /Do Not/ need to be on the Same firmware to be able to patch the boot, just a shield (pro 16gb for this example)

I was able to build the modded boot image and get it flashed on 8.2.3, and we have Root!

I am going to completely erase the system again and try to reflash with the new mod added in from the start to see if that works. Then we can figure out the AI bit according to noot noot's steps

Last edited:

jenneh

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 11873535

Anyone has the developer images version 9.0 or 9.1.1 for Nvidia shield 2017 16 gb model?

Cecillatour

Sep 19, 2017
Does anyone know where are the OTA images located? We could extract the boot image from there, patch it with Magisk (delta) and flash it.

jenneh

Does anyone know where are the OTA images located? We could extract the boot image from there, patch it with Magisk (delta) and flash it.
It's located in data/ota_package if you want to obtain the 9.1 or 9.1.1 boot images yourself. Some research notes are here

If you want to save yourself some time I already pulled those files and modded them here

Cecillatour

Sep 19, 2017
Thanks a lot! That is the location I also found online but I cannot find it on my Shield. I must be going nuts! I did this once on my old Shield (darcy) but now I cannot find it. I guess I made crucial mistake by installing 9.1.1 full ota without copying it first. After installation it is gone, if I correctly remember. So I guess I will have to use your modified boot images. Thanks for pointing them for me.

I simply wanted to test on my old darcy first before trying on mdarcy.

jenneh

@Cecillatour yes you are correct, after installation it cleans up that folder. I had to look for it but I did happen to save the OTA packages too if you or anyone wanted to look at them. They are under this spoiler
1672152248993.png

edit --- derp i can just link them sorry haha

Last edited:

jenneh

2017 16 gb Firmwares have been added to the OP in the same fashion the 2019s were added. I am unable to test these images but they should just work like the 2019s did.
When you download firmwares off of Gameworks, some of the images have a bunch of extra crap
1.PNG

If you look at nvidia's included flashall script it shows you it only actually flashes the blob boot recovery system and vendor partitions.
2.PNG

So I cleaned up all the images to only contain those partitions and added two scripts
3.PNG

Erase all partitions which is good hygiene for your device so you don't get bugs
4.PNG

and "shieldroot" simply flashes the partitions. it doesn't actually root anything
1672219671778.png

People mirror these things because sometimes they get lost due to time.
If anyone is able to obtain the 9.1 and 9.1.1 OTA packages on this device and share either the whole zip or at least the boots that would be amazing

Last edited:

jenneh

Regarding the 9.1 and 9.1.1 ota packages:
I've made some progress on learning how to build lineage from scratch and in that endeavor, I learned more about brotli and how to compile a system image from .br files. Now, there is a piece missing here.. I was unable to get the shield to boot with the new images added ontop of 9.0.0 (basically trying to RE the OTA into fastboot flashable images) but I can at least document what was learned so far:
9.1.1 FW for example (I tried 9.1 as well, same result)

SDAT2IMG for putting the system and vendor images together from their list and dat files

https://www.python.org/downloads/ or type "python" into cmd to download from the microsoft store

To be able to extract the .dat file from the .br file
Right click and extract the OTA Package. I renamed mine "9.1.1"
Extract sdat2img-master and copy sdat2img.py into the 9.1.1 folder
Open 9.1.1, right click on system.new.dat.br, and select extract here with peazip.
Repeat this step with vendor.new.dat.br
Now open command prompt from the folder toolbar and type:
python sdat2img.py system.transfer.list system.new.dat system.img
python sdat2img.py vendor.transfer.list vendor.new.dat vendor.img
Here's the same steps, except for linux:
sudo apt-get install brotli
mkdir ~/9.1.1
cd ~/9.1.1
unzip ~/Downloads/PUBLIC18e513b8a32a039975ecfcfa316d8217.zip
brotli --decompress --output=system.new.dat system.new.dat.br
brotli --decompress --output=vendor.new.dat vendor.new.dat.br
git clone https://github.com/xpirt/sdat2img
python sdat2img/sdat2img.py system.transfer.list system.new.dat system.img
python sdat2img/sdat2img.py vendor.transfer.list vendor.new.dat vendor.img
You will now have a new system and vendor image in the folder, however it will not flash right.
Likely more can be done here but my knowledge is lacking atm

Android Source Code regarding OTA

1672855067584.png

bmp.blob is refered to, with a partition name of "bmps"
Some more knowledge on OTA

Last edited:
Reactions: karim-ps

jenneh

The dev rooted 8.2.3 has been reuploaded and the link in the op replaced. It was missing the dtbo file. I went ahead and added a modded boot image to it. Steps are the same as stock, install the dev image and you have to sign in, when it finishes installing reboot to bootloader and run bootmod.bat (this is patched with magisk delta. if you want magisk by topjohnwu change the code in bootmod.bat to bootmod1.img and use topjohnwu's apk instead of the one in the zip)

DEV-ROOTED 8.2.3
To fix the su binary error after installing the apk, you need to run this code
Code:
adb root
adb disable-verity
adb reboot
adb root
adb remount
adb shell rm system/xbin/su

Last edited:
Hello
I want to flash version 8.2.2 stock (currently LOS is running).
I don't need root.
In the LOS guide I had to flash two things, the recovery and then the LOS image.

Is it correct that I only have to flash the 8.2.2.zip here?
Can I use the following procedure to do this?

I then just use the last section "Installing LineageOS from recovery" to flash the 8.2.2.zip, right?
(so only: "adb sideload 8.2.2.zip")

thanks for the work

Manzing

Oct 8, 2012
Hello
I don't need root.
In the LOS guide I had to flash two things, the recovery and then the LOS image.

I then just use the last section "Installing LineageOS from recovery" to flash the 8.2.2.zip, right?

thanks for the work
Hi

I would say no.
AFAIK the provided zip files here are archives, not flashable packages.
So you would have to download the archive, extract and flash img files according to the procedure provided in the first post (using fastboot / USB debugging).
You can probably keep your current recovery if you don't flash recovery.img over it, but if I were you I would double check it will work with stock firmware. It has to be stock recovery or a compatible TWRP.

Reactions: grumpi1 and jenneh
Oh sry, sometimes I think too complicated.
"then root" means "sideload all the files right?

Do i have to write "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" or "fastboot flash recovery.img"?
The extra word tells the shield which file to send, right?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For all models, the 8.2.3 version needs to erase the userdata partition, which will force you to sign back into the shield again. The 2015 pro (500 GB) versions do not have this partition added to the script, so you will need to run factory reset from the bootloader if your flash hangs on the google logo, and that takes a while, this is why this partition was not added to the 2015 Pro erase script, as it never actually completed for me.

Normal Users seeking only Backup Stock Copies should use the Stock Recovery Images Below
    . AI Upscaling Works.

Using the Developer Only Rooted (Full Read Write) Images will break AI upscaling

For Me, and those that know what to do with these. They are not like the other firmwares

9.1 OTA PACKAGE (783M):

9.1.1 OTA PACKAGE (783M)

KNOWLEDGE:
    Can be found here and here
    For Me, and those that know what to do with these. They are not like the other firmwares

KNOWLEDGE:

9.1 OTA PACKAGE

9.1.1 OTA PACKAGE

KNOWLEDGE:

9.1 OTA PACKAGE

9.1.1 OTA PACKAGE

KNOWLEDGE:
    Here's a way to install adb quickly using powershell and chocolatey.

Open powershell as admin and type:
    Code:
    Set-ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Scope Process -Force; [System.Net.ServicePointManager]::SecurityProtocol = [System.Net.ServicePointManager]::SecurityProtocol -bor 3072; iex ((New-Object System.Net.WebClient).DownloadString('https://community.chocolatey.org/install.ps1'))

choco install adb

That's it!
    To unlock your bootloader, enter the fastboot menu either by sending "adb reboot bootloader" or by pulling the power cord from your shield. Reattach the power cord.

Using either a wired Nvidia Shield Controller or a USB 3.0 keyboard, press and hold A+B until this screen comes up.
    6.PNG

Select Unlock Bootloader with your controller or keyboard, or if using a 2015 model, there is a power button on the top of the shield, the nvidia icon, tap on that to move the selection to unlock, then long press it to select.

If you are soft bricked on a 2015 model, here is how to access the bootloader using the power button method:

In my experience this was a quick and easy process EXCEPT for the 2015 pro 500gb model. That thing literally took the 2hours
    DOWNLOAD (9M)
    Attach a usb-c cable to your shield (use the port furthest from your hdmi cable) and connect the c end to your pc, then open device manager and right click on fastboot device
    1.PNG
    2.PNG
    3.PNG
    4.PNG
    5.PNG
    WORKS FOR STOCK ONLY FIRMWARE RIGHT NOW

Remember to Lock your bootloader when you're done flashing your firmware if you want to use AI upscaling and other features. Just reboot into the bootloader, then select lock bootloader.
    6.PNG
    SOURCE: https://developer.nvidia.com/shield-open-source
    Instructions for downloading the repo yourself
    Some limited knowledge regarding these open source shares
    The main difference between a dev root and a stock root will be the apps available in the playstore. With the Dev Root, adb works as Root outside of the shell. With stock root, right now adb cannot work as root outside of the shell, only adb shell su works.

Stock root allows stock apps like Disney + to operate, whereas the Dev rooted images cannot (natively) download Disney + and other apps that check for things like user models vs userdebug, etc... Stock root also does not natively mount your system partition, giving a little more security but a little more trouble for devs. See the links at the bottom of the post for Stock root, or use the Dev rooted firmware if you Need a userdebug firmware.
    TO USE:
    (WITH THE SHIELD IN THE BOOTLOADER MENU)SIMPLY RUN .ERASEALLPARTITIONS.BAT, THEN .FLASHALL.BAT. REQUIRES ADB. SEE THE ADB PRE-REQS SPOILER FOR MORE INFO.

SOURCE FOR SYSTEM IMAGES:

IF YOU WANT ROOT ON STOCK FIRMWARE, SEE THIS GUIDE:

IF YOU WANT LINEAGE OS, SEE THIS GUIDE:

A Very Special thank you to @Manzing for being a hero and taking the time to get the 9.1 boot image and OTA for the 2017 shield!!!
    Hello
    I don't need root.

thanks for the work
    Hi

I would say no.
    AFAIK the provided zip files here are archives, not flashable packages.
    So you would have to download the archive, extract and flash img files according to the procedure provided in the first post (using fastboot / USB debugging).
    You can probably keep your current recovery if you don't flash recovery.img over it, but if I were you I would double check it will work with stock firmware. It has to be stock recovery or a compatible TWRP.
    The dev rooted 8.2.3 has been reuploaded and the link in the op replaced. It was missing the dtbo file. I went ahead and added a modded boot image to it. Steps are the same as stock, install the dev image and you have to sign in, when it finishes installing reboot to bootloader and run bootmod.bat (this is patched with magisk delta. if you want magisk by topjohnwu change the code in bootmod.bat to bootmod1.img and use topjohnwu's apk instead of the one in the zip)

DEV-ROOTED 8.2.3
    To fix the su binary error after installing the apk, you need to run this code
    Code:
    adb root
    adb disable-verity
    adb reboot
    adb root
    adb remount
    adb shell rm system/xbin/su
    @grumpi1 ""then root" means "sideload all the files right?" Yes. In this context, yes.
    @nooted1 I think it worked? It is no longer saying "bootloader unlocked"
    I had to use 9.0.0 dev version
    IMG_20221124_032728.jpg