2016 Honda Civic - Android-based Headunit - North American version

Search This thread

djg08642

Feb 7, 2008
And that's a Civic, not a Pilot? I ask because Honda's parts listings show the Pilot HU being made by Clarion, but the NA Civic's made by Mitsubishi. I can connect to my Civic's with adb via wifi but not get it go online (see attached). I think that's because it's not in USB debug mode, because there's no way to turn on developer options, but you didn't seem to encounter any difficulties with that?

Sorry, this is actually in a 2016 Accord EX (w/ Sensing if that matters). I posted in this thread since the other lengthy thread, where they have things working, is for EU head units and this one appears to be the de facto NA thread.

You can get into Developer Options to enable USB debugging. On my stereo, at least, with the car in Accessory Mode, I hold Power+Brightness+Menu to get the head unit's Diagnostic menu. Then hold Menu for about 3 seconds to get the Android settings. Developer Options and USB Debugging is in there.

Here's a video showing how to get into the Android settings: https://vid.me/o4iZ

Reactions: josby

josby

Oct 21, 2006
Richmond, VA
On my stereo, at least, with the car in Accessory Mode, I hold Power+Brightness+Menu to get the head unit's Diagnostic menu. Then hold Menu for about 3 seconds to get the Android settings. Developer Options and USB Debugging is in there.

Unfortunately, no luck on my NA 2016 Civic Touring. I watched your video and you definitely get different screens than I do. Attached is the sequence for me, including all the screens of the final menu with no "Android Settings" choice. I looked through all of them and couldn't find any about Android.

If you try the normal Android process of going to Settings->About and tapping the Build Number button repeatedly, it gives you the normal countdown to developer mode, but when you get to 0, it says "Enter passcord:" (their typo, not mine). So they seem to be deliberately trying to keep us out of there on the Civic unit.

Attachments

• IMG_20161027_1807343.jpg
    IMG_20161027_1807343.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 2,289
  • IMG_20161027_1807448.jpg
    IMG_20161027_1807448.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 2,342
  • IMG_20161027_1808242.jpg
    IMG_20161027_1808242.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 2,309
  • IMG_20161027_1808424.jpg
    IMG_20161027_1808424.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 2,207
  • IMG_20161027_1808522.jpg
    IMG_20161027_1808522.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 2,160
  • IMG_20161027_1809013.jpg
    IMG_20161027_1809013.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 2,157
Last edited:

epic4grooted

Sep 3, 2010
portland
I read that the passcord is a USB cord that plus into the back that Honda uses for updates and such

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

sheryip

Jun 15, 2010
Reactions: epic4grooted

shaullazar

Jan 5, 2017
2017 Honda Civic (CA) LX

Hello Guys,
My model is 2017 Honda Civic (CA) LX
Mine doesn't have NAV installed,
It would be nice to have the option to install APK like google maps \ waze as I do have a GPS on my unit.
Although at least I can use Android auto Google Maps \ Waze (soon Q1 2017)
Any updates regarding the root\hack ? or we still stuck

majedalanni

Jun 5, 2007
OnePlus 8
OnePlus 8 Pro
I think I found something interesting on my Honda Civic 2016 NA....
I entered my hidden menu by holding (bright, power and menu) then if you click on special function and then other you will see Pandora, HD radio and smart phone information and XM radio only.

Now get back the hidden menu and keep pressing menu button, you will get another menu . In that menu press on vehicle mode then u will on the bottom detial , user ... Etc last one is change mode ..... After pressing on it I found these code start with tbaa .. I believe they ends with ka, KC and Kx .... If u choose x will ask reboot and AHA will disappeared from home screen mine was ka I believe but KC will show you on the special function / other new item called restrictions operation and you can turn it off that will let you do a lot of things while driving but no browsing ... Also Pandora need enabled too when choosing KC

PS When restarting the radio asking for GPS signal make sure you are in clear area to get good signal

Attachments

• 20170119_230649.jpg
    20170119_230649.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 1,259
  • 20170119_223721.jpg
    20170119_223721.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 1,289

majedalanni

Jun 5, 2007
OnePlus 8
OnePlus 8 Pro
SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH [​IMG]

Finally I found a way to bypass the restriction method and play video while driving
Anyone following these steps it total by his/her own risk and I'm not responsible to any issue might happen as I'm doing this for research purposes. for me it is working each time I'm doing it

1. Push your ignite button twice so you not be in accessory mode
2. Hold Bright power and menu until you see two choice click on the bottom one
3. Hold menu key to get to another menu
4. Choose vehicle model information then vehicle setting type and you will see three types
TBAA:Gr013 DA KC No 4DR
TBAA:Gr013 DA KA No 4DR (this is the default one in my car)
TBAA:Gr013 DA Kx No 4DR

You will need to choose
TBAA:Gr013 DA KC No 4DR (you need to make sure you are in empty space area as the GPS need to be locked after rebooting and also make sure you are not in accessory mode)
5. After the device reboot hold bright power and menu again and choose functional setup and then other
6. You will see operation restricted turn it off
7. Also enable Pandora and then back to home menu
8. Now you have system that can be modified couple things while driving like you can use the dial pad
9. Now phase two to watch videos
10. Open the internet browser and type about:debug
11. Then delete it and type file:/// and hit enter
12. You will see the file system files, scroll down and click on vendor then app folder
13. scroll down and you find whitelistservice apk file
14. NEVER NEVER NEVER click on any APK only whitelistservice apk (I WARN YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
15. click on it and it will try to install then it fail
16. then back to the home screen and hold power till it asking for reboot. reboot your system and viola you can run browser and gallery to browse , watch you tube or videos

Might you need to turn off your lane camera as when ever you right signal it will stop your video

issues you may get with this method
App installer will not work
rear camera very rare can be delayed or lag

To revert the video thing then you need to setting then apps download section and you will see the white list service there then just uninstall it and you back to normal.. if it acting weird just reboot the unit

Now to things I figured it out

Any apk files that are android system files from version 4.2.2 it will fail with signature different from the one installed
AHA APK can be update it will not working good as it not design for car ( I got it from internet)
apklist.apk from Honda pilot it willing to install but it fail because the version that we have is newer (at least mine as it update to latest android version f190)
Any app you click on it will show gray install button but if you multitask and go to the browser and browse the path /data/data/usbtmp then you will see the file there and that path can install apk but it will fail again. what ever you do the file will delete from there.. i tried to unplugged the fuse and the file stayed there so I tried the to do the whitelistservice.apk that we did above as this will stop the service from running but looks the package installer call whielistlib and the lib check the signature too.

I tried to plug USB serial as I can see in the log android loading PL32XX driver and i change the USB from HOST to DEVICE from the hidden menu i got an Ethernet connection from the USB and I can see the internal sdcard not the system as it is MTP I think.

Rebooting the device and holding menu will get you in safe mode but it didn't help anything

Honda link when enabled it will open another port other than the 5000 (random) when you nmap for the HU IP

Tried most exploits on browser didn't work

Modified APK didn't working

I would we all work together and break the APK installing process.

Donate can accepted to by pizza and drink [​IMG] on paypal
Majedalanni at yahoo.com

Thanks guys for reading my post

unibombz

Nov 11, 2011
Hello all,
As I am an owner of a new 2017 Honda Accord. I was trying to research how to get my personal APK's installed on the head unit. It seems from reading they have to be digitally signed to install?
Are there any updates on this ?

Thanks

http://www.cmdroid.com/
I was trying to understand what this is about but unsure as of yet

PawarutK

Apr 18, 2017
would it possible to downgrade 4.2.2 to 4.0.4 (i've heard that Civic EU version running on 4.0.4 ROM)

RamR7

May 10, 2017
Works on Honda Civic 2017 made in USA with MY16ADA Android 4.2.2

Finally I found a way to bypass the restriction method and play video while driving
Anyone following these steps it total by his/her own risk and I'm not responsible to any issue might happen as I'm doing this for research purposes. for me it is working each time I'm doing it

4. Choose vehicle model information then vehicle setting type and you will see three types

You will need to choose
TBAA:Gr013 DA KC No 4DR (you need to make sure you are in empty space area as the GPS need to be locked after rebooting and also make sure you are not in accessory mode)
5. After the device reboot hold bright power and menu again and choose functional setup and then other
8. Now you have system that can be modified couple things while driving like you can use the dial pad
12. You will see the file system files, scroll down and click on vendor then app folder
14. NEVER NEVER NEVER click on any APK only whitelistservice apk (I WARN YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
16. then back to the home screen and hold power till it asking for reboot. reboot your system and viola you can run browser and gallery to browse , watch you tube or videos

Might you need to turn off your lane camera as when ever you right signal it will stop your video

Just to let you know this works on Honda Civic 2017 made in USA with MY16ADA running Android 4.2.2

Hope we can get the APKs working
Thanks majedalanni!

Reactions: domr001

smoker68x

May 18, 2017
Greenville
Has anyone been able to get this to work on a 2016 Civic Touring 4D Sedan US Model? I'm not so much interested in the video, I just want to be able to use the navigation while driving, or at least let a passenger do it.

k3v1nc

Jun 19, 2007
I was able to get part of this working on a 2016 Civic EX-L 4 Door US Model. The part that kills the whitelist service (thank you for that), actually makes the whole system much more responsive. However, maybe because I have a different software version I don't have the option for "KC", so I never get to change the "operation restriction" option.

Even though there is still another barrier to installing our own APKs other than the whitelist service (maybe the installer?), removing one of the barriers is a big step forward.

codeage

May 28, 2007
And that's a Civic, not a Pilot? I ask because Honda's parts listings show the Pilot HU being made by Clarion, but the NA Civic's made by Mitsubishi. I can connect to my Civic's with adb via wifi but not get it go online (see attached). I think that's because it's not in USB debug mode, because there's no way to turn on developer options, but you didn't seem to encounter any difficulties with that?

Finally somebody found a way to enter the developer mode: https://xdaforums.com/android/general/guide-how-to-enter-developer-mode-2017-t3621582

Reactions: josby

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

You will need to choose

issues you may get with this method
    App installer will not work
    rear camera very rare can be delayed or lag

To revert the video thing then you need to setting then apps download section and you will see the white list service there then just uninstall it and you back to normal.. if it acting weird just reboot the unit

Now to things I figured it out

Any apk files that are android system files from version 4.2.2 it will fail with signature different from the one installed
    AHA APK can be update it will not working good as it not design for car ( I got it from internet)
    apklist.apk from Honda pilot it willing to install but it fail because the version that we have is newer (at least mine as it update to latest android version f190)
    Any app you click on it will show gray install button but if you multitask and go to the browser and browse the path /data/data/usbtmp then you will see the file there and that path can install apk but it will fail again. what ever you do the file will delete from there.. i tried to unplugged the fuse and the file stayed there so I tried the to do the whitelistservice.apk that we did above as this will stop the service from running but looks the package installer call whielistlib and the lib check the signature too.

I tried to plug USB serial as I can see in the log android loading PL32XX driver and i change the USB from HOST to DEVICE from the hidden menu i got an Ethernet connection from the USB and I can see the internal sdcard not the system as it is MTP I think.

Rebooting the device and holding menu will get you in safe mode but it didn't help anything

Honda link when enabled it will open another port other than the 5000 (random) when you nmap for the HU IP

Tried most exploits on browser didn't work

Modified APK didn't working

I would we all work together and break the APK installing process.

Donate can accepted to by pizza and drink [​IMG] on paypal
    Majedalanni at yahoo.com

Thanks guys for reading my post
    +1 I'm looking to thia too but couldn't find anything. All I get interesting is when you hold power+menu and the brightness bottom on the top will start mew menu and after you choose the bottom one you will have couple menues there and if you hold the menu again will get you another menu and if you hold it again will get you another one but couldn't find anything helpfull for apk
    I'll mess around with it this week end I'm in school for Android development maybe I can put it to use lol

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    My 2016 Civic EX-L is has a unit made by Mitsubishi for sure. Clarion sounds like the Pilot to me.
    Anyways, something I've been thinking about is trying to get my hands on the software update USB that is part of the TSB 16-022 (http://www.civicx.com/attachments/ml-reaasc6a-usb_drive_sb_16-022-pdf.10010/). The USB update has a honda part number of 07AAZ-TBAA100 and seems to be available from honda parts stores online. I can't find an disk image of it online. If it has a full copy of the OS file system, might be able to extract it and look for vulnerabilities. Or it might be possible to learn how to create a custom update USB. Clearly from the TSB instructions, the headunit recognizes it as a system update and presents a prompt that is different from anything I've seen on it before.

Sorry, this is actually in a 2016 Accord EX (w/ Sensing if that matters). I posted in this thread since the other lengthy thread, where they have things working, is for EU head units and this one appears to be the de facto NA thread.

You can get into Developer Options to enable USB debugging. On my stereo, at least, with the car in Accessory Mode, I hold Power+Brightness+Menu to get the head unit's Diagnostic menu. Then hold Menu for about 3 seconds to get the Android settings. Developer Options and USB Debugging is in there.

Here's a video showing how to get into the Android settings: https://vid.me/o4iZ