2017 Nvidia Sheild Root Status / FAQ

Search This thread

brandonb21

Jan 16, 2017
As of right now the 2017 Nvidia Shield CAN be rooted. Updated 1/26/2017

What we do know So far.

1. How to access Fast boot mode?

there are two ways to access fast boot. The first way to access fast boot mode,

1. Buy a male to male USB 3 cable, & plug it into the USB port furthest away from the hdmi port.
2. In settings of the shield, go to storage.
3. Enable USB transfer
4. In settings go to about, then build version.
5. Click on build version 5 times.
6. Under settings, go to developer options.
7. Enable USB debugging.
8. Make sure you have the latest drivers installed from Nvidias website.
9. Download ADB Command prompt/fastboot
10. Type "adb devices"
11. You may get a prompt on your shield about allowing debugging, if so make sure you allow it.
12. Type "adb devices" again if a device shows up then great! move on to the next step.
13. Type "adb reboot bootloader"

The second way of getting into fastboot mode, is the following

1. Unplug your power cable from the device.
2. Plug in your Shield game controller in the usb closest to the hdmi port.
3. Hold down buttons A & B.
4. While holding down the two buttons, put in your power cable.
5. Keep holding down the buttons.
6. If all done correctly you should see the fast boot menu now on your screen.

Congratulations your device should now be in the fastboot menu, Note in order to navigate the fast boot menu you will need your game controller plugged into the usb port next to the hdmi port.

2. Is their a download link for the latest OTA update?

Yes, you can get 5.0.1 from here, http://ota-downloads.nvidia.com/ota...-full_ota-1749719_832.2408.20170116175313.zip

3. What will happen if i try and install twrp on my shield?
Your device will try to boot it, then it will reboot and repair the recovery partition of your shield, then boot into androids 7.0 operating system.

4. A unofficial version of TWRP is out
https://forum.xda-developers.com/shield-tv/development/recovery-twrp-shield-android-tv-2017-t3545544 use at your own risk!

5. Recovery images are out for the 2017 Shield (16GB Only)
5.01 Retail: http://developer.download.nvidia.co...1/nv-recovery-image-shield-atv-2017-5.0.1.zip
5.01 Developer: http://developer.download.nvidia.co...ry-image-shield-atv-2017-5.0.1-dev_rooted.zip

Last edited:

brotbuexe

Apr 16, 2009
Can't you directly boot the twrp.img without flashing it first?

fastboot boot twrp...img

Then install SuperSU from there?

Ichijoe

Feb 11, 2007
Frankfurt am/Main
Can't you directly boot the twrp.img without flashing it first?

fastboot boot twrp...img

Then install SuperSU from there?

You probably could... But, that in-and-of itself isn't exactly the problem. It's the unfortunate way Google have started implementing System Updates on Nougat going forward. They've call this System the a/b System.

To simply explain it, on Devices which support it. (Like the new Shield 2017, possibly the 2015 post update?), there are now Two System Partitions. The active one, which we have always known. (And, indirectly referencing in your question.), and, the new mirrored System Partition that has Two jobs. One to make System (e.g. Security), Updates simplier, and the other is to make sure the first System Partition does NOT get corrupted by allowing One to say root it or by installing "malicious" Software (i.e. SuperSU) onto the Device. Without it blasting it straight out of existence again.

So yes you could try to load TRWP up from somewhere, and install SuperSU. Like you've always done. But, as soon as you start to reboot it again the a/b System will revert your hard work again.

Last edited:
Reactions: brotbuexe

brotbuexe

Apr 16, 2009
You probably could... But, that in-and-of itself isn't the problem. It's the way Google have started implementing System Updated on Nougat going forward. They call that System the a/b System.

I read it is the same in pixel devices. So I hope it is just an update for SuperSU to recognize this on the new shield.

HUYI

Dec 23, 2010
so are we SOL indefinitely or will there ever come a time where we can override the two partitions so root sticks? ie is it possible.

brandonb21

Jan 16, 2017
so are we SOL indefinitely or will there ever come a time where we can override the two partitions so root sticks? ie is it possible.

I dont think we are SOL. i think the developer of twrp for shield just needs to update it. im not a developer. so i dont know, but here is some good news, i was talking to nvidia and they will be releasing a prerooted image for the 2017 shield.

Hello Brandon,

Thank you for contacting NVIDIA Customer Care.

This is Kenny, assisting you in regards to your query about the ISO Image download availability for the SHIELD TV Console V2.

Please be informed that the image isn't available for this unit yet. This is our download centre : https://developer.nvidia.com/gameworksdownload where it will be available once the Image is available for this unit.
So you may check this website often to see the availability.

Disclaimer : Rooting the device will void the software warranty of the unit.

Unfortunately we don't have any ETA on this Brandon,

As it's a new device it may be added there in sometime. However I can't give you a precise date about this. Sorry.
You can register there as a developer and wait for the Image release.

Regards,
NVIDIA Customer Care

HUYI

Dec 23, 2010
I dont think we are SOL. i think the developer of twrp for shield just needs to update it. im not a developer. so i dont know, but here is some good news, i was talking to nvidia and they will be releasing a prerooted image for the 2017 shield.

0_0 whaaa! cool i can't wait for that :) that's awesome news! so cool that nvdia have given us support like this.

i will install when it's available but it seems it's going to be a long wait till it's available, maybe late spring summer my guess, hopefully sooner.

and it's obvious that it will void warranty..

Last edited:

brotbuexe

Apr 16, 2009
pretty much what the guy above said, it will detect a modification in the recovery partition and fix it, then boot into android.

But if you just fastboot the twrp.img you wouldn't touch the recovery partition.

You would change the boot.img and /data for systemless root while flashing SuperSU. So at the next boot the system has to check if you changed the boot img/partition, and I guess the supersu installer has to take care of this verification.

There would be not much of a problem to not have twrp directly on the device, as you can always boot the img through fastboot.

Does booting the twrp img via fastboot works on the 2017 shield?

brandonb21

Jan 16, 2017
But if you just fastboot the twrp.img you wouldn't touch the recovery partition.

You would change the boot.img and /data for systemless root while flashing SuperSU. So at the next boot the system has to check if you changed the boot img/partition, and I guess the supersu installer has to take care of this verification.

There would be not much of a problem to not have twrp directly on the device, as you can always boot the img through fastboot.

i did "fastboot boot twrp.img" and it booted into the android OS

AndroidUser00110001

Aug 16, 2011
NYC
From what I gathered from recovery logs and tearing apart the boot.img I do not think the Shield 2017 uses two system partitions like the Pixel. I have only seen one partition.
I was able to modify the boot.img to make it not secure, flashed it and it booted fine. It was not replaced with stock boot. I then tried to flash TWRP with the not secure boot.img but TWRP would not boot.
I believe TWRP needs new zImage from Shield 2017 and a few variables need to be tweaked too for it to work on the Shield 2017.
I am going to download the OmniROM source files and try to compile TWRP for the Shield 2017. Should be a quick fix for the current Shield TWRP device maintainer to make so I am a little hesitant to take the time to set everything up. With my luck the current maintainer will build TWRP for Shield 2017.

*Edit*
I attached the modified boot.img which is insecure for whoever wants to play with it.
Make sure you have ADB enabled and your PC has been authorized to use ADB with your Shield2017...

Last edited:

brandonb21

Jan 16, 2017

From what I gathered from recovery logs and tearing apart the boot.img I do not think the Shield 2017 uses two system partitions like the Pixel. I have only seen one partition.
I was able to modify the boot.img to make it not secure, flashed it and it booted fine. It was not replaced with stock boot. I then tried to flash TWRP with the not secure boot.img but TWRP would not boot.
I believe TWRP needs new zImage from Shield 2017 and a few variables need to be tweaked too for it to work on the Shield 2017.
I am going to download the OmniROM source files and try to compile TWRP for the Shield 2017. Should be a quick fix for the current Shield TWRP device maintainer to make so I am a little hesitant to take the time to set everything up. With my luck the current maintainer will build TWRP for Shield 2017.

*Edit*
I attached the modified boot.img which is insecure for whoever wants to play with it.
Make sure you have ADB enabled and your PC has been authorized to use ADB with your Shield2017...

Sounds great! good luck on the twrp port!

Reactions: HUYI and brotbuexe

GhostRider5666

Mar 25, 2015
Cleveland
ghostrider5666.net
As of right now the 2017 Nvidia Shield CANNOT be rooted. Updated 1/20/2017

What we do know So far.

1. Buy a male to male USB 3 cable, & plug it into the USB port furthest away from the hdmi port.
3. Enable USB transfer
7. Enable USB debugging.
10. Type "adb devices"
11. You may get a prompt on your shield about allowing debugging, if so make sure you allow it.
12. Type "adb devices" again if a device shows up then great! move on to the next step.

Congratulations your device should now be in the fastboot menu, Note in order to navigate the fast boot menu you will need your game controller plugged into the usb port next to the hdmi port.

Yes, you can get 5.0.1 from here, http://ota-downloads.nvidia.com/ota...-full_ota-1749719_832.2408.20170116175313.zip

Your device will try to boot it, then it will reboot and repair the recovery partition of your shield, then boot into androids 7.0 operating system.

I can get into the boot menu but none of my buttons on my controller work? I have it all plug in as the steps show. I just received it and maybe it not paired right?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As of right now the 2017 Nvidia Shield CAN be rooted. Updated 1/26/2017

What we do know So far.

3. Enable USB transfer
    7. Enable USB debugging.
    10. Type "adb devices"

4. A unofficial version of TWRP is out
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/shield-tv/development/recovery-twrp-shield-android-tv-2017-t3545544 use at your own risk!

5. Recovery images are out for the 2017 Shield (16GB Only)
    5.01 Retail: http://developer.download.nvidia.co...1/nv-recovery-image-shield-atv-2017-5.0.1.zip
    5.01 Developer: http://developer.download.nvidia.co...ry-image-shield-atv-2017-5.0.1-dev_rooted.zip
    Root & TWRP...Done :)

Got Root and TWRP.

I hacked together TWRP to make it work. Will rebuild from sources but should make no difference.

Will post it in a few...

**EDIT***
    Can be downloaded from here...
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/shield-tv/development/recovery-twrp-shield-android-tv-2017-t3545544
    Fairly straight forward guide. But could someone clarify a couple things the guide doesn't specify:

1. Is it possible to fastboot boot the "UNOFFICIAL-twrp-3.0.2-ALL-Shields recovery" and flash ALL versions of SHIELD_ATV_2017/5.0.1 - OTA, RETAIL and ROOTED Developer versions with UNOFFICIAL-twrp-3.0.2 ?

2. The Guide does not say but is the latest SuperSU-v2.79-201612051815.zip the needed file to root?

3. Am I right that the OTA and RETAIL version BOTH need to have the bootloader unlocked via the "fastboot oem unlock" command in windows? What about the Developer version is it really already rooted or does it just have an unlocked bootloader?

4. The guide states that its not possible to flash TWRP to the Shield TV. But The thread "[RECOVERY] [UNOFFICIAL] TWRP - Shield Android TV 2017 & 2015 - All Models" states it can be. Any downside to flashing TWRP?

5. IF ota updates are allowed on rooted Shields, would TWRP recovery, root and unlocked bootloader be overwritten and lost - unless flashed through TWRP???

Thanks for helping

:

The guide is great but yea it does not go into great detail. Maybe a proper write up will be around at some point. I'm glad its here though, helped me a lot.
    I'll try to answer your questions
    1.yes
    2.latest stable supersu binary should be fine. I think the one u posted is the one I used. I rooted mine Monday and used the latest stable.
    3.unlocked bootloader is required for all to the best of my knowledge. If you are going to manually install one I believe.
    My shulield updated to 5.0.2 automatically and I unlocked bootloader..twrp.. Then root..
    Dev version isn't true root.. Its just elevated permission I do believe.. Regardless you shouldn't have to install any version in order to root.
    4. It is possible to install twrp but its unofficial and I am waiting for any kinks to get worked out. I would recommend just fastbooting the recovery.IMG and once booted flash the supersu binary.
    5.I cant answer this... I am new to the shield. I have read that if you unlock and root it won't fota. But if it does, all you have to do is flash the supersu binary again and your good to go.

Hope that helps

---------- Post added at 04:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 AM ----------

I downloaded everything plugged in usb cable to pc followed all the initial steps and my pc doesn't recognize the shield

Hey partner. I see your having some issues and I'm here to help. I think.
    I think you have a driver issue and I'll explain why. There is a couple hurdles that stand in the driver installation way.
    Windows 10 blocks unsigned drivers I believe and you have to go into recovery and allow them.. Google it.. Its pretty easy.. Its been ages can't remember.
    Next.. The drivers. Get them from nvida website. Scroll down and find the adb drivers and unzip..
    Here is the issue.. You can right click the INI and install but windows won't actually assign the drivers. The drivers are just installed to a windows system folder. U actually have to manually install all 3 drivers via device manager.
    1. With shield at home and device manager open on computer
    Turn on adb debuging usb.
    2.plug in the USB connecting shield computer. You should see a device pop up in device manager that's not properly installed. Never the less.. Right click.. Update driver manual... List of drivers.. Have disk. Nvida driver folder.. Select android adb from the list.
    3. Now for the fastboot driver. U will see it pop up during boot so select it for it disappears and update driver.
    So now while everything is connected plug in the controller to other USB port one one closest to HDMI I believe (verify). Now that the remote is plunged in device manager still open go to power and reboot on the shield. Once you see the restarting popup, start holding a and b on the controller.
    The shield should boot into fastboot / bootloader. You should see a device pop up in device manager named fastboot.. You want to quickly click on that and update driver same as before, above. This time though select the adb fastboot driver from the list of 3 drivers. There is another driver, composite I believe.. If u see something else pop up at any point install it as well..
    Now... If you do all that, you should have the drivers installed properly.
    So let the device boot up normal.
    Once booted, oncomputer from command prompt:
    adb devices
    Fastboot boot c:\recovery.IMG
    (If that's where you put it.. I would tho simplicity)
    Plug in controller and reboot from shield ui while holding a and b
    This should boot into twrp.
    Now a few things to do in advance...

I forgot to mention above unlock the bootloader.
    This has to be done first. Do this before booting to twrp Shield at home. Command prompt open
    Adb devices
    Fastboot oem unlock
    It will say waiting for device.. Reboot the shield with controller plugged in while holding a and b
    It should boot to fastboot and run the OEM unlock

DL the super su binary (latest stable) and save it to your download folder (will be fine). That way once your in twrp you can flash supersu.
    Once u flash super su do a reboot from twrp. Heads up, it will probably bootloop once then reboot itself and load as normal
    Hope that helps. I tossed in the extra but I'm sure the driver part will get u going. Good luck

Forgive sloppyness and whatever else.. Its early and just got off work... And using my phone.
    Can you still root at the latest update 6.3? Anyone here tried it yet?

Yes, it still works. Next time, though, I'm just gonna flash the developer image and save myself the effort.

*Edit*

Sounds great! good luck on the twrp port!