• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

2019 Kindle Fire HD 10 - Adding shortcuts to home screen

Search This thread

Todd Banister

Apr 27, 2021
I recently got a new 2019 Kindle HD 10 and started setting it up. I have been able to get Google Play and Nova Launcher successfully installed without any issue. Everything has been working great but I am unable to do something that I was able to do with my older Kindle Fire HD: add shortcuts to the Home Screen.

Previously on a 2017? HD 10, I was able to add shortcuts from Chrome right to the desktop. I was also able to add a book's shortcut from Moon+ Reader right to the Home Screen. But now, neither of these things seem to work. I am not exactly sure what's the issue that is preventing this from happening. App permissions? Newer version of Fire OS? A setting within Nova Launcher? I Googled the issue and found someone mention this was due to the OS version being higher but I haven't found any real confirmation on this anywhere else.

Does anyone have an idea of why I can't do this - and is there any workarounds for this feature?

Thanks,
TB

AmznUser444 Dev

I recently got a new 2019 Kindle HD 10 and started setting it up. I have been able to get Google Play and Nova Launcher successfully installed without any issue. Everything has been working great but I am unable to do something that I was able to do with my older Kindle Fire HD: add shortcuts to the Home Screen.

Previously on a 2017? HD 10, I was able to add shortcuts from Chrome right to the desktop. I was also able to add a book's shortcut from Moon+ Reader right to the Home Screen. But now, neither of these things seem to work. I am not exactly sure what's the issue that is preventing this from happening. App permissions? Newer version of Fire OS? A setting within Nova Launcher? I Googled the issue and found someone mention this was due to the OS version being higher but I haven't found any real confirmation on this anywhere else.

Does anyone have an idea of why I can't do this - and is there any workarounds for this feature?

Thanks,
TB

You must disable Amazon's crappy launcher
Code:
adb shell pm disable-user com.amazon.firelauncher

Todd Banister

Apr 27, 2021
You must disable Amazon's crappy launcher
Code:
adb shell pm disable-user com.amazon.firelauncher

Yep, already did this using the Toolkit (14.2). I have Nova Launcher set as my default launcher and have even restarted to see if that cleared anything in memory. Still nothing. I have even gone back in and run the command again from the Toolkit to no avail. I keep checking permissions on the Kindle but I obviously haven't found the solution ... yet.

Take care,
TB

mmiii

Jan 14, 2008
I had widget support allready activated with toolkit but no option to add a shortcut to Nova Launcher in Chrome and gdrive. I don't no why but suddenly the option appears in drive an chrome app.

Last edited: