• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

(2021) How to install Android 7.1.2 on a Nook HD or NookHD+

Search This thread

Merazomo

Aug 14, 2014
I appreciate the offer, but unfortunately I have a Nook HD. I'm using the hummingbird version of that same Lineage build. It seems like it works fine without GAPPS thus far except for this storage issue.

I've tried wiping and reflashing the ROM and it still says I have 0 bytes free in the included files app. Trying to download anything with the included browser just crashes the browser, but I can install apks via an SD card, F droid, etc. just fine.

I can't see any folders when I plug the tablet into my PC either. I can open "Shared Internal Storage" just fine but nothing is there and I can't write to it.

If the ROM has been proven to work well for others, perhaps I made a error while installing? I followed OP'S guide (From a stock install) exactly, so I'm not sure what I could've messed up.
The issue you're facing is most likely an "internal storage" issue. A partition was most likely corrupted at some point during the flashing of something. That's why you can install onto the internal partition, but not from it; remember, TWRP is installed onto the "recovery" partition but if the main partition is already corrupted, all you're doing is going in circles wiping and flashing from something that is already corrupted . This issue hasn't happened to me on my Nook HD+, but it did happen on a rooted Nexus 6 with a Custom ROM, as well as a rooted Note 4 with a Custom ROM I had in the past. Only returning both phones to factory stock; to restore every partition to it's default state, and then installing the Custom ROM again fixed those issues for me. If you don't have the stock Nook HD zip to return the Nook HD to Barnes & Noble's stock OS, I'm sure I can find it somewhere on an old hard drive I have; I did have a Nook HD at some point in my life, but the Nook HD+ was a lot better for reading Manga so I got rid of my 7 inch Nook. If that still doesn't work, maybe you should try expanding the /system partition with REPIT; maybe the Nook HD doesn't work well without Gapps and they're necessary for the functionality of the LineageOS ROM on the HD version, who knows.

ManGuyNY

Jun 12, 2021
The issue you're facing is most likely an "internal storage" issue. A partition was most likely corrupted at some point during the flashing of something. That's why you can install onto the internal partition, but not from it; remember, TWRP is installed onto the "recovery" partition but if the main partition is already corrupted, all you're doing is going in circles wiping and flashing from something that is already corrupted . This issue hasn't happened to me on my Nook HD+, but it did happen on a rooted Nexus 6 with a Custom ROM, as well as a rooted Note 4 with a Custom ROM I had in the past. Only returning both phones to factory stock; to restore every partition to it's default state, and then installing the Custom ROM again fixed those issues for me. If you don't have the stock Nook HD zip to return the Nook HD to Barnes & Noble's stock OS, I'm sure I can find it somewhere on an old hard drive I have; I did have a Nook HD at some point in my life, but the Nook HD+ was a lot better for reading Manga so I got rid of my 7 inch Nook. If that still doesn't work, maybe you should try expanding the /system partition with REPIT; maybe the Nook HD doesn't work well without Gapps and they're necessary for the functionality of the LineageOS ROM on the HD version, who knows.
If you could upload the original OS zip, I would greatly appreciate it. I kinda jumped into this without making any backups because I didn't have anything valuable on the stock OS.

Is the process for going back to stock the same as flashing the custom ROM? (Wipe everything and then flash the zip?) Would that be all I have to do to correct any corrupted partitions?

On a side note, I did change the partitions by following that Github guide to install GAPPS initially, but changed them back to stock using the same method after I couldn't get GAPPS to work without crashing.

I presume it is possible that this internal storage issue could also be the reason GAPPS won't work.

Merazomo

Aug 14, 2014
If you could upload the original OS zip, I would greatly appreciate it. I kinda jumped into this without making any backups because I didn't have anything valuable on the stock OS.

Is the process for going back to stock the same as flashing the custom ROM? (Wipe everything and then flash the zip?) Would that be all I have to do to correct any corrupted partitions?

On a side note, I did change the partitions by following that Github guide to install GAPPS initially, but changed them back to stock using the same method after I couldn't get GAPPS to work without crashing.

I presume it is possible that this internal storage issue could also be the reason GAPPS won't work.
The process for going back to stock is just like clean flashing a LineageOS or Gapps zip, that's it. This stock zip will not even make the Nook HD work as far as being able to login to your Nook HD's Barnes & Noble account. I saved this zip file before the newest Barnes & Noble zip update was released; that one update fixed the ability for people to login to their Barnes & noble account since this one was outdated, but I don't have that newest one. It will restore your Nook to factory stock nonetheless which is what you want; not because that might be your problem, but it's better to be sure once and for all whether your partitions are corrupted right now or it has something to do with the REPIT /system partition situation. Who knows, maybe the motherboard fried and it has nothing to do with anything.

Reactions: ManGuyNY

ManGuyNY

Jun 12, 2021
The process for going back to stock is just like clean flashing a LineageOS or Gapps zip, that's it. This stock zip will not even make the Nook HD work as far as being able to login to your Nook HD's Barnes & Noble account. I saved this zip file before the newest Barnes & Noble zip update was released; that one update fixed the ability for people to login to their Barnes & noble account since this one was outdated, but I don't have that newest one. It will restore your Nook to factory stock nonetheless which is what you want; not because that might be your problem, but it's better to be sure once and for all whether your partitions are corrupted right now or it has something to do with the REPIT /system partition situation. Who knows, maybe the motherboard fried and it has nothing to do with anything.
Thanks! I'll give it a shot when I get home, and then I'll try Lineage again.

ManGuyNY

Jun 12, 2021
Ok, so I was able to successfully flash back to stock and that booted up just fine.

Followed the guide again from the beginning and suffered the same exact issues both with GAPPS and with the inaccessible storage. Going to try the AOSP ROM and see if it has the same issues. :/

EDIT: The included internet browser on the AOSP ROM also crashes whenever I try to download anything. Same behavior. I'm about to chuck this thing out the window.

Last edited:

Falcon342

Aug 24, 2020
Ok, so I was able to successfully flash back to stock and that booted up just fine.

Followed the guide again from the beginning and suffered the same exact issues both with GAPPS and with the inaccessible storage. Going to try the AOSP ROM and see if it has the same issues. :/

EDIT: The included internet browser on the AOSP ROM also crashes whenever I try to download anything. Same behavior. I'm about to chuck this thing out the window.
Using another device copy the .apk's you want to your SD card, insert the SD card in your Nook, open the "Downloads" app, in the hamburger menu select your SD card, now install your .apk's and see if you have any issues.

Merazomo

Aug 14, 2014

Try a Marshmallow ROM. I remember those didn't have the Gapps size issue, so if one of those ROMs works with Gapps, then it has to be a /system partition resize issue. There's no way you should be able to go back to stock and re-flash ROMs with a damaged motherboard. Aside from all that, the only other common denominator would be the TWRP image you're installing on the Nook. You could try a different one but that's a stretch. I wish I still had my Nook HD so I could try more things. That tablet is worth saving if only for that 1,440x900 pixel resolution screen; it was ahead of its time. Well, good luck.

ManGuyNY

Jun 12, 2021
Try a Marshmallow ROM. I remember those didn't have the Gapps size issue, so if one of those ROMs works with Gapps, then it has to be a /system partition resize issue. There's no way you should be able to go back to stock and re-flash ROMs with a damaged motherboard. Aside from all that, the only other common denominator would be the TWRP image you're installing on the Nook. You could try a different one but that's a stretch. I wish I still had my Nook HD so I could try more things. That tablet is worth saving if only for that 1,440x900 pixel resolution screen; it was ahead of its time. Well, good luck.
Finally got the darn thing working. I had tried "aosp_hummingbird-ota-N2G48H.181223" that I got from another thread, and that one had the same issues as the Lineage build from OP's post for me. I just flashed "aosp_hummingbird-7.1.2-20181227-1604" from this thread and now the storage issue appears to be gone. I haven't tried flashing it with GAPPS yet. I appreciate you guys trying to save my sanity.

Reactions: Falcon342

Merazomo

Aug 14, 2014
Finally got the darn thing working. I had tried "aosp_hummingbird-ota-N2G48H.181223" that I got from another thread, and that one had the same issues as the Lineage build from OP's post for me. I just flashed "aosp_hummingbird-7.1.2-20181227-1604" from this thread and now the storage issue appears to be gone. I haven't tried flashing it with GAPPS yet. I appreciate you guys trying to save my sanity.
I'm glad you got it working. Now you have everything you need; a stock ROM, a custom ROM, and knowledge on how to resize the /system partition. You should be able to get the Nook HD exactly as you want it.

Falcon342

Aug 24, 2020
I was running stock and had my HD+ sitting a drawer for a while. I now want to set it up with chrome in my kitchen to pull up recipes. I decided I should start clean so I did a factory reset but now it just boot loops to TWRP. I figure I'll reflash, but the download links for stock and LOS14 don't work anymore. Can anyone connect me?
Here the step you need to follow to get LineageOS back up and running:

• Grab the "lnos_ovation-ota.zip" from post #3,

• Grab Google apps from https://opengapps.org
For the options choose the following
Platform = ARM
Android = 7.1
Variant = whichever one you want (i recommend "pico")

• Download the attached files below,

• move the downloaded files to your microSD card, insert it in your NookHD+ and boot to TWRP,

• now start by doing a "advanced wipe" select everything execpt your SD card,

• Now choose "install" and select: "delete-backup-of-stock-rom-hummingbird-ovation.zip"
(That deletes a backup of your stock ROM, you need that space for Gapps)

• the next to install is:
"lanchon-repit-20170115-factory=32M-system=1G-cache=32M+wipe-data=max-ovation.zip"
(this file resizes some partitions which you need to do in order to be able to get Gapps installed)
(this file may take a long time and CANNOT be interrupted)

now install the ROM (lnos_ovation-ota.zip) & Gapps, reboot and you should be good to go

Attachments

• lanchon-repit-20170115-factory=32M-system=1G-cache=32M+wipe-data=max-ovation.zip
    805.3 KB · Views: 5
  • delete-backup-of-stock-rom-hummingbird-ovation.zip
    153.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

chinhuat

May 2, 2011

The storage issue only pop up while installing the GAPPS.

chinhuat

May 2, 2011
I had managed to flash the lnos 7.1.2 and had observed the following:

a. The tablet [nook hd hummingbird] now have to permanently plug into a power source, otherwise it will shut down.
a1. All apps when launched would be 180 degrees rotated ...

b. I encounter the storage issue while installing the gapps. I had deleted the partition [and my earlier backup, that's a grave mistake] and had failed to extend the partition [error encounter while flashing the zip]

c. If I removed the power, the tablet will shut down unexpectedly and the tablet won't be able to recover. I had to flash the lnos rom again.

d. If I plug a proper shutdown tablet into my Ubuntu desktop, the tablet won't boot, and continuously loop.

e. Now I remove the unable to boot tablet and plug into power source, the tablet will boot to twrp 3.0.1 recovery. The tablet recovers after power to system.

f. As I had deleted the partitions, I am now unable to flash back to 4.4.2, and I am stuck with this 7.1.2.

g. I hate the trouble of having to always plug the tablet to a power source [even if it is 100% charged] and unable to connect to my ubuntu desktop, and without the GAPPS.

h. I am hoping someone to help me to install the TWRP 3.1.1 img and to perform the partition extension again.

i. I hope my observation on having to permanently plug the table to a power source is not a bug in the lnos 7.1.2

Thanks

Any suggestion how i can get back to 4.4.2?

Last edited:

Falcon342

Aug 24, 2020
twrp-3.1.1-0-hummingbird.img

How can I flash a img in TWRP or CWM recovery? Both allow only zip flash.
To flash the Twrp .img:

• boot i to Twrp,

•Chose "Install" now in the bottom right corner there is a install image button (as shown in the picture)

•click that now find were you have the .img stored and it should now be appear.

NoFileName_0_1.jpg

a. The tablet [nook hd hummingbird] now have to permanently plug into a power source, otherwise it will shut down.
a1. All apps when launched would be 180 degrees rotated ..
a. Well this isnt good, it might have something to do with you not running Twrp 3.1.1.0, once you get that installed (following the instructions left above) do a advanced wipe again reflash the ROM, let it complete first boot then try to unplug it.

a1. This is because the ROM developer messed up the rotation setting, go to Settings > Display > When device is rotated, or Settings > Accessibility > Auto rotate screen,

Because the rotation settings are messed up some apps will launch at 180 degrees unless you lock rotation while using that app.

b. I encounter the storage issue while installing the gapps. I had deleted the partition [and my earlier backup, that's a grave mistake] and had failed to extend the partition [error encounter while flashing the zip]
If your willing try this:

• Get the partition extending file onto youe SD card,

• boot to twrp,

• do a advanced wipe

• now try to flash the file from your SD card

Also what was the error when changing the partitions?

c. If I removed the power, the tablet will shut down unexpectedly and the tablet won't be able to recover. I had to flash the lnos rom again.

d. If I plug a proper shutdown tablet into my Ubuntu desktop, the tablet won't boot, and continuously loop.

e. Now I remove the unable to boot tablet and plug into power source, the tablet will boot to twrp 3.0.1 recovery. The tablet recovers after power to system.

f. As I had deleted the partitions, I am now unable to flash back to 4.4.2, and I am stuck with this 7.1.2.

g. I hate the trouble of having to always plug the tablet to a power source [even if it is 100% charged] and unable to connect to my ubuntu desktop, and without the GAPPS.

h. I am hoping someone to help me to install the TWRP 3.1.1 img and to perform the partition extension again.

i. I hope my observation on having to permanently plug the table to a power source is not a bug in the lnos 7.1.2

Thanks

Any suggestion how i can get back to 4.4.2?
c. you can try flashing Aosp or Cyanogenmod (i suggest Aosp over Cyanogenmod) and seeing if that resolves your issue,

This also you mean you have a bad battery, you can replace them, but bewarned i tryed and my Nook HD wouldnt take the new one, (but others have done it)

d. This is probably a bug of Twrp 3.0.1-0 let me know if this continues after upgrading to 3.1.1.0

f. If you really want to get back to 4.4.2 there might be copy's of the stock ROM or Cyanogenmod here on XDA but i dont have the links, also dont give up quite yet i might be able to work through some of these problems

g & i. This is definitely a unique issue but assume this isnt a hardware issue im sure we can find the soultion,

chinhuat

May 2, 2011
To flash the Twrp .img:

• boot i to Twrp,

•Chose "Install" now in the bottom right corner there is a install image button (as shown in the picture)

•click that now find were you have the .img stored and it should now be appear.

View attachment 5371839

a. Well this isnt good, it might have something to do with you not running Twrp 3.1.1.0, once you get that installed (following the instructions left above) do a advanced wipe again reflash the ROM, let it complete first boot then try to unplug it.

a1. This is because the ROM developer messed up the rotation setting, go to Settings > Display > When device is rotated, or Settings > Accessibility > Auto rotate screen,

Because the rotation settings are messed up some apps will launch at 180 degrees unless you lock rotation while using that app.

If your willing try this:

• Get the partition extending file onto youe SD card,

• boot to twrp,

• do a advanced wipe

• now try to flash the file from your SD card

Also what was the error when changing the partitions?

c. you can try flashing Aosp or Cyanogenmod (i suggest Aosp over Cyanogenmod) and seeing if that resolves your issue,

This also you mean you have a bad battery, you can replace them, but bewarned i tryed and my Nook HD wouldnt take the new one, (but others have done it)

d. This is probably a bug of Twrp 3.0.1-0 let me know if this continues after upgrading to 3.1.1.0

f. If you really want to get back to 4.4.2 there might be copy's of the stock ROM or Cyanogenmod here on XDA but i dont have the links, also dont give up quite yet i might be able to work through some of these problems

g & i. This is definitely a unique issue but assume this isnt a hardware issue im sure we can find the soultion,

Thanks for your lengthy explanation. I have yet to read through.
Managed to flash the TWRP 3.1.1 img, I shall continue the remaining. Thanks.

Last edited:

chinhuat

May 2, 2011
Just an update on updating the rom on my nook hd hummingbird.

a. I had successfully flashed the TWRP 3.1.1 recovery.
b. From TWRP 3.1.1 recovery, I had done a total wipe [all checked except sdcard]
c. I had flashed lnos rom. Booted up successfully. Whilst the fully charged nook will again shut down when I unplug the power cable.
d. I had again done a total wipe[all checked except sdcard]
e. However I flashed cm rom instead. Again my fully charged nook will still shut down when I unplug the power cable.

I had for once successfully flashed the gapps together with the cm rom [need not perform any partition resize]

However one problem I would like to feedback regarding the cm rom:
1. The file manager [comes with the cm rom] won't install any apk in my sdcard. I can install the apk only when I am using another file manager [i had downloaded the ez file manager from play store]

And thanks Falcon342 for his prompt response to my my query.

Falcon342

Aug 24, 2020
Just an update on updating the rom on my nook hd hummingbird.

a. I had successfully flashed the TWRP 3.1.1 recovery.
b. From TWRP 3.1.1 recovery, I had done a total wipe [all checked except sdcard]
c. I had flashed lnos rom. Booted up successfully. Whilst the fully charged nook will again shut down when I unplug the power cable.
d. I had again done a total wipe[all checked except sdcard]
e. However I flashed cm rom instead. Again my fully charged nook will still shut down when I unplug the power cable.

I had for once successfully flashed the gapps together with the cm rom [need not perform any partition resize]

However one problem I would like to feedback regarding the cm rom:
1. The file manager [comes with the cm rom] won't install any apk in my sdcard. I can install the apk only when I am using another file manager [i had downloaded the ez file manager from play store]

I honestly believe this issue with the Nook refusing to stay on unless plugged in is a battery issue, i cant think of anything in the ROM's that could possibly cause this,
(i have the Nook HD Hummingbird and dont have this issue)

Glad you were able to get Gapps up and running, but it is a bit strange considering CM is the biggest ROM out of the three,

i havent messed around with CM to much, but in my brief testing i dont remember having any problems with CM's file manager, im not sure how to fix this issue,

if you would like i can walk you through how to remove it so its not taking up space/resources,

No problem.

Last edited:

chinhuat

May 2, 2011
I honestly believe this issue with the Nook refusing to stay on unless plugged in is a battery issue, i cant think of anything in the ROM's that could possibly cause this,
(i have the Nook HD Hummingbird and dont have this issue)

Glad you were able to get Gapps up and running, but it is a bit strange considering CM is the biggest ROM out of the three,

i havent messed around with CM to much, but in my brief testing i dont remember having any problems with CM's file manager, im not sure how to fix this issue,

if you would like i can walk you through how to remove it so its not taking up space/resources,

No problem.

I had downloaded the gapps from:

And that's 79282kB
However from opengapps [same for arm, 7.1, pico], the file size is 171748kB. That's likely why with this gapps, no partition resize is needed.

Yes please advise how i can remove whatever apps so as to save space and resources.

I had earlier deleted the partition using [delete-backup-of-stock-rom-hummingbird-ovation], and had failed [lanchon-repit-20170115-factory=32M-system=1G-cache=32M+wipe-data=max-hummingbird].

Now that I had the TWRP 7.1.1, I would try the delete and extend partition again. And followed by flashing the lnos and the smaller size GAPPS. Hopefully that would resolve the power or file manager issues that I had observed earlier.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Does anybody know where i can still download ua_ovation-7.1.2-20181227-1654.zip for the NookHD+ ?

Because aosp_ovation-7.1.2-20200618-2102.zip ends in a bootloop :/

Thank you very much!
    The website for ua_ovation-7.1.2-20181227-1654.zip (builds.unlegacy-android.org) seems to be down and i dont have the ovation builds backed up, when (if) the website comes back i will replace the AOSP zip, but for now you will have to use LineageOS or Cyanogenmod.
    Thank you for your quick feedback and your efforts!

I have now downloaded aosp_ovation-ota-N2G48H.181223.zip at https://m.box.com/shared_item/https...ygh9vbaw7jjq08xr5evomvaw5ww/browse/3332706778 and it works fine and stable.
    I'm glad you got it working. Now you have everything you need; a stock ROM, a custom ROM, and knowledge on how to resize the /system partition. You should be able to get the Nook HD exactly as you want it.
    Thank you Merazomo! Is this process just to expand the partition then install Gapps or is it a complete install of lineage os plus expansion of the partition? Thanks again :).
    I've only had to do it once given there aren't any newer ROMs out there for the Nook HD+; therefore, I haven't done it again since the first time I did it, so I don't know if the zip can be installed without any consequences to your current LineageOS ROM. I did it when I already had a rooted Android Nougat ROM installed on my Nook, so it seems all that zip file does is expand/resize and move around partitions to make enough room to be able to install Gapps. In theory, nothing "should" change from your current setup; I can't confirm it though. Backup everything you have right now and give it a go if you want. There's another zip file in the guide to return all the partitions to their stock default layout in case anything goes wrong. Again, for me all the zip file did was increase the /system partition leaving my Nougat ROM intact but I've only done it once.
    I also tried to install Gapps at the same time but it would let me. I tried to install PICO as you suggested. I believe the message I got was that there wasn't enough space on my Nook. Is there another version of gapps that you can recommend? And the steps to install post rooting my Nook? I did a factory reset prior to converting my Nook so surprised when I got this message. As always your help is greatly appreciated :)
    That issue was very common with later versions of Nougat. The problem is the /system partition; it's not large enough for Gapps. You have to use this guide to make it work: https://github.com/Lanchon/REPIT/issues/59. This zip file expands the /system partition to 1GB so that you don't have to struggle installing Gapps due to size limitations. Just follow the links in the guide for downloading the proper zip file. It should be named "lanchon-repit-20170115-factory=same-system=1G-cache=112M+wipe-data=same-ovation.zip" or something like that. That zip file has to be flashed/executed from the internal /tmp location at TWRP; it won't work if you flash it from a MicroSD card, it has to be moved using the: advanced > file manager > copy > /tmp at TWRP first, before being flashed from the /tmp location. It took me many tries to get it right as it wasn't something I had to do on my Nook HD+ when using Marshmallow. It takes a while to flash, but afterwards you should have enough space at the /system partition to install any Gapps file you want. You should probably give that guide a read before trying anything though.
    Thank you for your quick feedback and your efforts!

I have now downloaded aosp_ovation-ota-N2G48H.181223.zip at https://m.box.com/shared_item/https...ygh9vbaw7jjq08xr5evomvaw5ww/browse/3332706778 and it works fine and stable.