• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

(2021) How to install Android 7.1.2 on a Nook HD or NookHD+

Search This thread

Falcon342

Aug 24, 2020
I had downloaded the gapps from:

And that's 79282kB
However from opengapps [same for arm, 7.1, pico], the file size is 171748kB. That's likely why with this gapps, no partition resize is needed.

Yes please advise how i can remove whatever apps so as to save space and resources.

I had earlier deleted the partition using [delete-backup-of-stock-rom-hummingbird-ovation], and had failed [lanchon-repit-20170115-factory=32M-system=1G-cache=32M+wipe-data=max-hummingbird].

Now that I had the TWRP 7.1.1, I would try the delete and extend partition again. And followed by flashing the lnos and the smaller size GAPPS. Hopefully that would resolve the power or file manager issues that I had observed earlier.
Alright heres how to remove the stock file manager:

• Go to: Settings > About tablet, now spam the build number 7-10 times,
• Now back out and this time go to: Settings > Developer options,
• In Developer options change "Root Access" to "Apps only"
• Also enable the "Local Terminal"
• On your homescreen there will be a new app called "Terminal"
• Open it and type "su" when prompted click "allow"

Now type the following:

Code:
pm uninstall --user 0 com.cyanogenmod.filemanager

When thats done the file manager will be removed,

Now go back into Developer options and disable Root Access & Local Terminal.

chinhuat

May 2, 2011
Alright heres how to remove the stock file manager:

• Go to: Settings > About tablet, now spam the build number 7-10 times,
• Now back out and this time go to: Settings > Developer options,
• In Developer options change "Root Access" to "Apps only"
• Also enable the "Local Terminal"
• On your homescreen there will be a new app called "Terminal"
• Open it and type "su" when prompted click "allow"

Now type the following:

Code:
pm uninstall --user 0 com.cyanogenmod.filemanager

When thats done the file manager will be removed,

Now go back into Developer options and disable Root Access & Local Terminal.

Thanks for the detailed instruction. I had learnt something new regarding enabling the local terminal on phone.

I had tried the command, however it prompted error regarding the user [something like user 0 not having the file manager, indeed sorry I didn't take a snapshot on it].

I would take a snapshot when I flashed in the cm rom again.

BTW just an observation on the terminal:

a. When on portrait layout, though I had keyed in 'pm uninstall ...', after I press the enter key, it becomes 'm uninstall...'
b. Above regarding the user 0 not having the file manager was captured when the nook is on landscape mode.

chinhuat

May 2, 2011
I had re-partitioned the hummingbird and had chanced to try all the 3 roms [asop, cm and lnos] with opengapps pico.

Here're my observation:

a. lnos with opengapps pico, installed successfully, however when first start up, it keeps pop up windows 'setup wizard keeps stopping'. And there is no way for me to continue to setup the hummingbird.

lnos is possible only without the gapps.

b. cm with opengapps pico, installed and run successfully. however the file manager [that comes with the rom] was not able to install any apk. I need to download another file manager from play store. The other file manager from play store is able to install whatever apk i had.

c. asop with opengapps pico, installed and run successfully, however no file manager was pre install. I need to download a file manager from play store.

Currently i had asop with opengapps pico in my hummingbird.

Thanks all for reviving my nook hd.

Falcon342

Aug 24, 2020
I had re-partitioned the hummingbird and had chanced to try all the 3 roms [asop, cm and lnos] with opengapps pico.

Here're my observation:

a. lnos with opengapps pico, installed successfully, however when first start up, it keeps pop up windows 'setup wizard keeps stopping'. And there is no way for me to continue to setup the hummingbird.

lnos is possible only without the gapps.

b. cm with opengapps pico, installed and run successfully. however the file manager [that comes with the rom] was not able to install any apk. I need to download another file manager from play store. The other file manager from play store is able to install whatever apk i had.

c. asop with opengapps pico, installed and run successfully, however no file manager was pre install. I need to download a file manager from play store.

Currently i had asop with opengapps pico in my hummingbird.

Thanks all for reviving my nook hd.
Well im glad you managed to get up and running,

How did you manage to get it re-partitioned?

Last edited:

cdrigby

Sep 7, 2021
Thanks to Falcon342 & other contributors to this thread. With your guidance I was able to get Unlegacy Android 7.1.2 installed on my old Nook HD. Kindle works well enough, so I sent back Amazon's nifty but pricey, platform-tied device.

Reactions: Falcon342

Falcon342

Aug 24, 2020
Does anybody know where i can still download ua_ovation-7.1.2-20181227-1654.zip for the NookHD+ ?

Because aosp_ovation-7.1.2-20200618-2102.zip ends in a bootloop :/

Thank you very much!
The website for ua_ovation-7.1.2-20181227-1654.zip (builds.unlegacy-android.org) seems to be down and i dont have the ovation builds backed up, when (if) the website comes back i will replace the AOSP zip, but for now you will have to use LineageOS or Cyanogenmod.

Reactions: Travin

Merazomo

Aug 14, 2014
Thank you for your quick feedback and your efforts!

I have now downloaded aosp_ovation-ota-N2G48H.181223.zip at https://m.box.com/shared_item/https://notredame.app.box.com/s/26a4bygh9vbaw7jjq08xr5evomvaw5ww/browse/3332706778 and it works fine and stable.
I've been using the "lnos_ovation-ota-NJH47F.181223" build instead of the "aosp_ovation-ota-N2G48H.181223" build for about 3 months. Does aosp have Wi-Fi connection issues? If I leave my Nook HD+ offline for about a week; reading downloaded content like comics, books, manga, etc. my Wi-Fi won't re-connect again through the Wi-Fi notification bar toggle when I do want to connect again. Rebooting the device as well as re-connecting manually through the settings does seem to work, but it's a little annoying compared to the notification bar toggle alternative.

Falcon342

Aug 24, 2020
I've been using the "lnos_ovation-ota-NJH47F.181223" build instead of the "aosp_ovation-ota-N2G48H.181223" build for about 3 months. Does aosp have Wi-Fi connection issues? If I leave my Nook HD+ offline for about a week; reading downloaded content like comics, books, manga, etc. my Wi-Fi won't re-connect again through the Wi-Fi notification bar toggle when I do want to connect again. Rebooting the device as well as re-connecting manually through the settings does seem to work, but it's a little annoying compared to the notification bar toggle alternative.
On my NookHD "hummingbird" using AOSP besides having to do the workaround for the Wi-Fi auto-reconnect issue i havent had any futher issues with Wi-Fi (that i can remember).

Merazomo

Aug 14, 2014
On my NookHD "hummingbird" using AOSP besides having to do the workaround for the Wi-Fi auto-reconnect issue i havent had any futher issues with Wi-Fi (that i can remember).
Yeah I decided to install aosp on my Nook HD+ this morning since I'm forced to use Nova Launcher with the lnos build; the stock launcher tends to slow down and freeze up a bit. Given the age and hardware of this device issues are to be expected, but I'm using the aosp build right now and it feels "a lot" smoother and lighter. Inos has the eye confort shield setting, native advanced recovery bootup, lock screen auto-rotation, customizable buttons (long pressing the home button to sleep the device, brightness adjustments by touching the top edge of the screen, etc, that aosp doesn't have. At this point in the game though, speed is what I'm looking for in my Nook HD+ rather than so many features, and it seems aosp is the way to go. Now I have to setup my device again which is a pain in the butt, but oh well.

Hangman_

Dec 27, 2010
A quick question, the file "NookHD-bootable-CWM-6027-for-emmc-stock-4GB-rev3-(02.03.13).zip" can be used on the Nook HD+ as well?
There's no mention of this in the OP as to whether or not this file can be used in both the NookHD & the NookHD+ & there's no bootable image in the HD+ files download section. Reading through the four pages of posts, at least one other user has updated the NookHD+ so all I can do is 'assume' this file will work.
Please clarify, Thanks.

[edit] another question, what is the difference between (Digixmax's) post & this one? Is there a difference between LN14.1 in 2019 & LN14.1 in 2017 or the AOSP of 2017 & the AOSP in the OP of this thread? Other than the description
"To install Gapps you will need two extra files:
(Note: DO NOT change the file names of the two files, the file names are important)

For Nook HD (Hummingbird) grab:

lanchon-repit-20170115-factory=32M-system=1G-cache=32M+wipe-data=max-hummingbird.zip

For Nook HD+ (Ovation) grab:

lanchon-repit-20170115-factory=32M-system=1G-cache=32M+wipe-data=max-ovation.zip

For both the Nook HD & Nook HD+ grab:
delete-backup-of-stock-rom-hummingbird-ovation.zip

(Note: these files are needed for a additional step you will have to take to get Gapps installed, the extra step is explained
later on)"

I cannot find any real difference other than a re-explanatory description of the same steps. Am I missing something?
Thank you again.

Last edited:

Falcon342

Aug 24, 2020
A quick question, the file "NookHD-bootable-CWM-6027-for-emmc-stock-4GB-rev3-(02.03.13).zip" can be used on the Nook HD+ as well?
There's no mention of this in the OP as to whether or not this file can be used in both the NookHD & the NookHD+ & there's no bootable image in the HD+ files download section. Reading through the four pages of posts, at least one other user has updated the NookHD+ so all I can do is 'assume' this file will work.
Please clarify, Thanks.

[edit] another question, what is the difference between (Digixmax's) post & this one? Is there a difference between LN14.1 in 2019 & LN14.1 in 2017 or the AOSP of 2017 & the AOSP in the OP of this thread? Other than the description
"To install Gapps you will need two extra files:
(Note: DO NOT change the file names of the two files, the file names are important)

lanchon-repit-20170115-factory=32M-system=1G-cache=32M+wipe-data=max-hummingbird.zip

lanchon-repit-20170115-factory=32M-system=1G-cache=32M+wipe-data=max-ovation.zip

(Note: these files are needed for a additional step you will have to take to get Gapps installed, the extra step is explained
later on)"

I cannot find any real difference other than a re-explanatory description of the same steps. Am I missing something?
Thank you again.

emmc-cwm-early3.1.img.gz is the custom recovery
Is the file you should use for the NookHD+
(i dont recommend using "NookHD-bootable-CWM-6027-for-emmc-stock-4GB-rev3-(02.03.13).zip" for the NookHD+),

It doesnt look like theres any major difference between this guide and Digixmax's guide, this guide may have newer versions of the ROMs/files,

the Gapps part of the guide is only really needed if you cant get Gapps to flash to due lack of storage (which seems to happen on the nougat ROMs)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How to install Aosp 7.1.2, LineageOS 14.1 or Cyanogenmod 14.1 (Android 7.1.1)
    on a NookHD or NookHD+

Code:
    • I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war,  or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
    • If you have any concerns about features included please do some research before flashing anything!
    • YOU and YOU ALONE are choosing to make these modifications.

Cyanogenmod builds are available but Not recommended because it hasnt been updated since December 2016)
    This guide works for the NookHD (Hummingbird) & NookHD+ (Ovation) Files for the NookHD+ (Ovation) can be found in post #2
    It has been reported that the Nook's are picky on which SD cards will work with this "method", if you have issues try formatting the SD card, if that doesnt work try other SD cards.

Known Bugs & Issues:

Nook HD (Hummingbird)

AOSP:

• When you enable Wifi it wont auto connect, how to fix this:

turn off wifi, turn on wifi (wait to see if it auto connects) forget your network, connect to your network, repeat steps until wifi auto connects.

• Restarting your Nook will boot into Twrp, Solution: use the Power off option instead

• Using the "Power Off" option in power menu will just Restart the Nook instead of powering off, Solution: reboot into TWRP and choose "Power Off"

LineageOS:

• one random .apk file (the .apk seems to be different for each person) will refuse to install due to "lack of storage" theres no known workaround.

• Using the "Power Off" option in power menu will just Restart the Nook instead of powering off, Solution: reboot into TWRP and choose "Power Off"

• Screen mirroring using "scrcpy" may cause the device to freeze and require a force shutdown by holding the power button

Cyanogenmod:
    • Theres no known bugs or issues

NookHD+ (Ovation)

Nothing has been reported yet, if you find any bugs please report them & any possible soultions

What's needed:

your Nook HD or NookHD+ (make sure it's charged before doing this)
    A micro SD card (its recommended to use 16GB+ micro SD card)
    A micro SD adapter (only needed if your computer doesnt have a MicroSD card slot)
    A computer

Step 1:
    Obtain the files

download Win32 disk imager, it can be found here
    (Ignore the other files)

The next files for the Nook HD are at the end of this post, for the Nook HD+ see post #2:
    (If the files i provided stop working check out the sources)

Now is the time you need to pick your ROM:

(NookHD hummingbird)

aosp_hummingbird-7.1.2-20181227-1604.zip is the Aosp ROM

cm_hummingbird-ota-NMF26Q.161222.zip is Cyanogenmod

lnos_hummingbird-ota-NJH47F.181223.zip is LineageOS

(NookHD+ Ovation)

aosp_ovation-ota-N2G48H.181223.zip,

lnos_ovation-ota-NJH47F.181223.zip,

cm_ovation-ota-NMF26Q.161222.zip,

Other needed files:

(NookHD hummingbird)

NookHD-bootable-CWM-6027-for-emmc-stock-4GB-rev3-(02.03.13).zip is the recovery that is used on the SD card,

twrp-3.0.1-0-hummingbird.zip is the verison of Twrp that is used just to get twrp installed on your Nook, its updated later in the guide with this one:

twrp-3.1.1-0-hummingbird.img is the verison that will be used permanently
    (later versions have issues, bugs or wont boot)

(NookHD+ Ovation)

emmc-cwm-early3.1.img.gz,

twrp-3.0.1-0-ovation.zip,

twrp-3.1.1-0-ovation.img,

Gapps aka Google play store/services (optional)

You can download Gapps from https://opengapps.org/
    If you don't know what to to do choose these options:
    Platform: ARM
    Android: 7.1
    Variant: Pico
    (If you have issues you might need to download a older version)

To install Gapps you will need two extra files:

(Note: these files are needed for a additional step you will have to take to get Gapps installed, the extra step is explained later on)

Step 2:
    Extract this file:

(NookHD) NookHD-bootable-CWM-6027-for-emmc-stock-4GB-rev3-(02.03.13).zip

(NookHD+) emmc-cwm-early3.1.img.gz

(its 3.8GB extracted to make sure you have space on your computer and it might take a few minutes)
    After extracting it you should get a .img file

Step 3:

install win32 disk imager (if your on Mac or Linux you might need to find alternative software) then run it, insert your SD using using a adapter or native micro SD slot, now you should be presented with something like this
    2017-02-26_13-39-01.jpg

Under "device" you will see a drive letter make sure its set to your micro SD and Not anything else (you can check the drive letter of your micro SD card using your file manager)

Now under "image file" choose the .img file from step 2 then click "write",

This will Erase anything on your microSD card so make sure you get your files off of it before proceeding,

after that's done drag and drop the:
    ROM, Twrp zip file & Twrp .img file, and optionally Gapps and the extra files needed to install Gapps
    onto the micro SD card using your file manager,
    after you copied the files eject the micro SD card from the computer.

Step 4 (installation)

Power off your Nook HD, then insert your micro SD into the microSD card slot,
    now hold the power and "n" button at the same time once the screen comes on let go of the power button keep holding the "n" button until you see this screen
    wp_20160803_10_48_17_pro1.jpg

Once you see Cyanoboot let go of the "n" button and wait until it boots into the recovery once it gets past the cyanoboot screen you should see this screen:
    wp_20160803_10_53_00_pro1.jpg

(Use volume buttons to go up and down, power button to back out 1 menu, "n" button to select highlighted option)

now select install zip, navigate to "external sd" now install the Twrp zip file (3.0.1.0)

once that's done back out the first menu remove your microSD card
    (Removing your microSD card won't force shutdown the nook)

after your microSD card is removed select "Reboot system now"
    if asked about disabling stock recovery select Yes, if asked about root select No,
    (you can get root later if you want)

once your nook turns on again hold the power button until it turns back off, once off hold power and "n" button let go of power when nook turns on then let go of "n" button when "Cyanoboot" appears

(If your nook doesn't want to turn on when holding the key combo:

Hold the power button, The second the screen turns on let go of the power button & hold the "n" button, keep holding the "n" button for five seconds after the "Cyanoboot" screen appears)

Now you should boot into Twrp, once in Twrp insert your microSD card

(until you format the SD card you will need to remove it when rebooting or else you will reboot into the recovery on the microSD card)
    (Note: it is recommended to choose the Power Off option in Twrp instead of Reboot because then you can safely remove your microSD card when the device is powered off then reinsert it when back into Twrp)
    (after you have completed this guide & formated the SD card disregard this note)

Now select "install" (Twrp uses touch screen)
    then navigate to "external sd" now in the bottom right you will see "install image" button select that,

Now select the Twrp .img (3.1.1.0) on the "swipe to install" screen you will see 2 options "recovery" and "boot" select recovery then swipe to install,

(if it failed to install back out to the main menu select "reboot" then "power off" once you nook is off go back into twrp using the key combo then try installing the Twrp .img file again)

once the Twrp .img file is installed back out to the main menu now select "reboot" then "power off" then get back into Twrp using the key combo,

Now it is time to do a "advanced wipe" from the main menu select "wipe" then "advanced wipe" now select the following:

"Dalvik/ART cache"
    "System"
    "Data"
    "Internal Storage" (optional)
    "Cache"
    (DO NOT select microSD card or else you will lose the files you need)

After selecting all of the things listed above (NOT microSD)
    "Swipe To Wipe" and wait until it finishes,

==========================================================================
    The section below is for instructions on how to make the nessasary changes to install Gapps, Skip it if you dont want Gapps.
    ==========================================================================

If you choose to install Gapps you will need to resize some partitions which is explained below,
    In the event that something goes wrong and you dont know how to fix this process going wrong ask for support, or visit this Github Repository and see if they have the answer.

How to resize the partitions to allow the installation of Gapps:

• Delete backup of the stock ROM

There is a backup of the Stock ROM that needs to be deleted to free up some space

On Twrp's homescreen go to "install", now find:

and install it,

• Resizing the partitions to allow Gapps installation

Now it is time to resize the partitions,

On Twrp's homescreen select "install", find:

lanchon-repit-20170115-factory=32M-system=1G-cache=32M+wipe-data=max-_____.zip

And install it,

(Note: because this file is resizing partitions it may take a while,
    DO NOT interrupt this process, Stopping this process could courrpt the "/data" partition
    i recommend plugging in your charging cable and just leave it alone.

(Note: Wiping the partitions will Not restore the partitions back to default)

============================End of Gapps Guide==============================

Once that finishes back out the main menu and select "install" navigate to "external sd" then select your ROM and if you want Gapps select "add more zips" then select the Gapps zip,

Now Swipe to install, after your ROM & Gapps (if you chose to install Gapps) is installed remove your microSD card then select "Reboot"

after that it should boot into your new Custom ROM, give it 5-10 minutes for first boot,
    Now your done! Enjoy your new Custom ROM.

If something is to ever happen and you are unable to access Twrp or your ROM, follow these steps:
    • follow Step 3 again,
    • after following Step 3 boot to your SD card,
    • install the Twrp .zip again,
    • once Twrp is reinstalled remove the SD card and reboot to Twrp,
    • in Twrp insert the SD card, install Twrp .img (3.1.1.0), remove SD card & reboot back into Twrp,
    (Skip the next steps if your ROM is still working)
    • once your back in Twrp, insert the SD card,
    • advanced wipe everything, (except the SD card), flash your ROM (and optionally) Gapps, then remove the SD card & Reboot.

Note: on boot your Nook will show the Nook "splash screen" then the Cyanoboot "splash screen" then your ROM "splash screen" this is normal dont worry about it.

(You can now format the mircoSD card used for this install process)

If you have any questions, issues, need any help feel free to ask

Sources for the Nook HD (Hummingbird) Files & Other helpful guides:
    (See post #2 for NookHD+ (Ovation) sources)

Outdated guide that provided some files
    https://nookhdplusandroid7.wordpress.com/2017/02/26/installing-android-7-on-a-nook-hd-for-free/

LineageOS 14.1 development thread
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/rom-7-1-2-hummingbird-emmc-unofficial-lineageos-14-1.3688688/

Aosp Builds
    https://builds.unlegacy-android.org/aosp-7.1/hummingbird/

Twrp .img files
    https://twrp.me/bn/barnesnoblenookhd.html

LineageOS, Twrp zip file, Older Aosp & Cyanogenmod builds
    https://m.box.com/shared_item/https://notredame.app.box.com/s/26a4bygh9vbaw7jjq08xr5evomvaw5ww/browse/3332708110

Cyanogenmod & Older LineageOS, Aosp builds
    https://m.box.com/shared_item/https://notredame.app.box.com/s/26a4bygh9vbaw7jjq08xr5evomvaw5ww/browse/3262390066

CWM recovery (SD card recovery), Win32diskimager,
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cek7xg5c5taxam2/AAAsASQ3DScdv-O8C6TFyEQNa?dl=0

• XDA forums
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/

• Files for Gapps partition resizing
    https://github.com/Lanchon/REPIT/issues/59
    Finally got the darn thing working. I had tried "aosp_hummingbird-ota-N2G48H.181223" that I got from another thread, and that one had the same issues as the Lineage build from OP's post for me. I just flashed "aosp_hummingbird-7.1.2-20181227-1604" from this thread and now the storage issue appears to be gone. I haven't tried flashing it with GAPPS yet. I appreciate you guys trying to save my sanity.
    I'm glad you got it working. Now you have everything you need; a stock ROM, a custom ROM, and knowledge on how to resize the /system partition. You should be able to get the Nook HD exactly as you want it.
    Thank you Merazomo! Is this process just to expand the partition then install Gapps or is it a complete install of lineage os plus expansion of the partition? Thanks again :).
    I've only had to do it once given there aren't any newer ROMs out there for the Nook HD+; therefore, I haven't done it again since the first time I did it, so I don't know if the zip can be installed without any consequences to your current LineageOS ROM. I did it when I already had a rooted Android Nougat ROM installed on my Nook, so it seems all that zip file does is expand/resize and move around partitions to make enough room to be able to install Gapps. In theory, nothing "should" change from your current setup; I can't confirm it though. Backup everything you have right now and give it a go if you want. There's another zip file in the guide to return all the partitions to their stock default layout in case anything goes wrong. Again, for me all the zip file did was increase the /system partition leaving my Nougat ROM intact but I've only done it once.
    I also tried to install Gapps at the same time but it would let me. I tried to install PICO as you suggested. I believe the message I got was that there wasn't enough space on my Nook. Is there another version of gapps that you can recommend? And the steps to install post rooting my Nook? I did a factory reset prior to converting my Nook so surprised when I got this message. As always your help is greatly appreciated :)
    That issue was very common with later versions of Nougat. The problem is the /system partition; it's not large enough for Gapps. You have to use this guide to make it work: https://github.com/Lanchon/REPIT/issues/59. This zip file expands the /system partition to 1GB so that you don't have to struggle installing Gapps due to size limitations. Just follow the links in the guide for downloading the proper zip file. It should be named "lanchon-repit-20170115-factory=same-system=1G-cache=112M+wipe-data=same-ovation.zip" or something like that. That zip file has to be flashed/executed from the internal /tmp location at TWRP; it won't work if you flash it from a MicroSD card, it has to be moved using the: advanced > file manager > copy > /tmp at TWRP first, before being flashed from the /tmp location. It took me many tries to get it right as it wasn't something I had to do on my Nook HD+ when using Marshmallow. It takes a while to flash, but afterwards you should have enough space at the /system partition to install any Gapps file you want. You should probably give that guide a read before trying anything though.