[23 JAN] gauner1986's Z-FI 0.1 (Desire Z based) [KERNEL = my own :)]

Search This thread

gauner1986

Dec 14, 2008
Hamburg
Hi guys, i'm back from exams with a fresh and funky release :p

This is the latest version of Desire Z Sense FRG83D - 1.72 (very close to stock). Basically everything is working and I have been using it for a couple of days now.
Speed should be WAY better than on Desire HD ROMs, but still not as fast as stock Desire, comes close though. Costs are some additional trash menu options, like the one for the hardware keyboard and no arrow keys on the on-screen keyboard.

Focus in this ROM is on battery life, free space in NAND and to be close to stock.

I have squashfsed some directories, which saves a lot of space. (Desire Z ROMs are a bit lighter than HD ones, because of the less capable hardware, but still space hungry). Finally got it down to use only 200 MB + (6MB free in /system, because mkyaffs2image does strange stuff), which means you will have ~230MB of storage space available for your user files (if you use the partitioning layout I supplied with the DFT flasher and depending on if you chose to use the EXTROM area/last 24 MB of NAND space in MAGLDR - if you have a TMOUS LEO you will of course have more). This is more than enough in my opinion, no need for apps2sd so far, but i may add it in the future.

You will be able to "overwrite" the squashfsed stuff in lib, framework and app, because i just used deep symlinking there.

Things i have removed (i can remember..):

• Maps (it's an outdated version anyway - download a new version from Market)
  • eReader stuff + eBooks (takes 50 MB or so - WTF, not worth it)
  • Some commercial stuff
  • Most of the included wallpapers
  • All skins except Slate

Notes:
  • This ROM comes as ODEX-ROM, because that again saves a lot of space, which would otherwise be taken twice (once in davlik cache and once in /system/app / system/framework)
  • My own kernel is included, based on the latest linux_on_wince_htc git. It has the SMARTASS and INTERACTIVE governor, as well as support for CIFS and EXT4 (for those who need it)
  • Of course this ROM comes with RMNET enabled. My version of the libhtc_ril_wrapper allows you to choose between PPP and RMNET by file. If /system/ppp exists (create it with touch /system/ppp) then PPP will be used, otherwise RMNET. RMNET is working quite well, so i would suggest you use that.
  • If you want notifications working, install Led me know from market. I had battery drainage issues with it, so i removed it.

Known issues:
  • Currently none
Version 0.1 -> Multiupload

Important:

To all those having trouble flashing the ROM with Cotulla's flasher

Please go to Cotulla's thread and ask for help there, this is not the place for this.

Instructions taken from Cotulla:

1. download MAGLDR
2. download NAND Android ROM
3. Install MAGLDR to your LEO (ROMUpdateUtility.exe)
4. Boot LEO and select in the menu "4. USB Flasher"
5. Run DAF.exe on your computer. Do all steps.
6. Wait while it's flashing.
7. After flashing device will make auto-reset.
8. It should boot directly to Android.
9. If any errors happens, please report in Cotulla's thread, which is here.

Kernel sourcecode diff to linux_on_wince_htc: http://pastebin.com/FUsLfypk

So finally i want to thank some people.. Without you that all would not have been possible.

* Cotulla: for his great MAGLDR and trusting me while testing it.
* mdeejay: for supplying me with userspace stuff. :)
* Markinus, LeTama, Rajko and all the other great devs from #htc-linux who contributed :)
* Everyone else I forgot

Tell me your suggestions for improvements on this ROM in this thread please, not in PMs :)

If you want to buy me a beer you can do so by clicking the link in my signature. I put a lot of time in all this. :)

And of course buy Cotulla a beer, without him we wouldn't have come so far in that little time! :p

Last edited:

MartyLK

Apr 19, 2010
Oklahoma City
The only thing I don't like about the Z series is the rotating homescreens. When they rotate back to port, it's like reloading all the homescreens from fresh and it takes a while. There's always a lag for the screen elements to appear. That's one reason I don't use the imilka Vision ROM and have been waiting for an updated HD.

seaman2k

Jul 19, 2010
suez
thanks gauner.. i will download it now ..but please i need u to think to build one on glacier it is more looking and stable :)

juergenn

Apr 15, 2008
What's about
bluetooth mac, wake up lag and streaming video (SPB TV)????

I'm currently running gauners hd rom... what would be better with this build?
Any improvement?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys, i'm back from exams with a fresh and funky release :p

This is the latest version of Desire Z Sense FRG83D - 1.72 (very close to stock). Basically everything is working and I have been using it for a couple of days now.
    Speed should be WAY better than on Desire HD ROMs, but still not as fast as stock Desire, comes close though. Costs are some additional trash menu options, like the one for the hardware keyboard and no arrow keys on the on-screen keyboard.

Focus in this ROM is on battery life, free space in NAND and to be close to stock.

I have squashfsed some directories, which saves a lot of space. (Desire Z ROMs are a bit lighter than HD ones, because of the less capable hardware, but still space hungry). Finally got it down to use only 200 MB + (6MB free in /system, because mkyaffs2image does strange stuff), which means you will have ~230MB of storage space available for your user files (if you use the partitioning layout I supplied with the DFT flasher and depending on if you chose to use the EXTROM area/last 24 MB of NAND space in MAGLDR - if you have a TMOUS LEO you will of course have more). This is more than enough in my opinion, no need for apps2sd so far, but i may add it in the future.

You will be able to "overwrite" the squashfsed stuff in lib, framework and app, because i just used deep symlinking there.

Things i have removed (i can remember..):

• Maps (it's an outdated version anyway - download a new version from Market)
    • eReader stuff + eBooks (takes 50 MB or so - WTF, not worth it)
    • Some commercial stuff
    • Most of the included wallpapers
    • All skins except Slate

Notes:
    • This ROM comes as ODEX-ROM, because that again saves a lot of space, which would otherwise be taken twice (once in davlik cache and once in /system/app / system/framework)
    • My own kernel is included, based on the latest linux_on_wince_htc git. It has the SMARTASS and INTERACTIVE governor, as well as support for CIFS and EXT4 (for those who need it)
    • Of course this ROM comes with RMNET enabled. My version of the libhtc_ril_wrapper allows you to choose between PPP and RMNET by file. If /system/ppp exists (create it with touch /system/ppp) then PPP will be used, otherwise RMNET. RMNET is working quite well, so i would suggest you use that.
    • If you want notifications working, install Led me know from market. I had battery drainage issues with it, so i removed it.

Known issues:
    • Currently none
    Version 0.1 -> Multiupload

Important:

To all those having trouble flashing the ROM with Cotulla's flasher

Please go to Cotulla's thread and ask for help there, this is not the place for this.

Instructions taken from Cotulla:

1. download MAGLDR
    2. download NAND Android ROM
    3. Install MAGLDR to your LEO (ROMUpdateUtility.exe)
    4. Boot LEO and select in the menu "4. USB Flasher"
    5. Run DAF.exe on your computer. Do all steps.
    6. Wait while it's flashing.
    7. After flashing device will make auto-reset.
    8. It should boot directly to Android.
    9. If any errors happens, please report in Cotulla's thread, which is here.

Kernel sourcecode diff to linux_on_wince_htc: http://pastebin.com/FUsLfypk

So finally i want to thank some people.. Without you that all would not have been possible.

* Cotulla: for his great MAGLDR and trusting me while testing it.
    * mdeejay: for supplying me with userspace stuff. :)
    * Markinus, LeTama, Rajko and all the other great devs from #htc-linux who contributed :)
    * Everyone else I forgot

Tell me your suggestions for improvements on this ROM in this thread please, not in PMs :)

If you want to buy me a beer you can do so by clicking the link in my signature. I put a lot of time in all this. :)

And of course buy Cotulla a beer, without him we wouldn't have come so far in that little time! :p
    Great I will download and test it for you.........
    Hey gauner1986, any chance of a non-squashfs'd, non-stripped build for those of us with T-Mobile US devices? Or is it possible to de-squash it ourselves?
    What's about
    bluetooth mac, wake up lag and streaming video (SPB TV)????

I'm currently running gauners hd rom... what would be better with this build?
    Any improvement?

Speeds seems way better.
    And I have 194Mb free Internal after first boot.
    You have to enable the additional storage space in the MAGLDR menu before flashing this. Then you have more space available.

what about charging sir? why cant charge over 99??