24.09 - OREO ViperU 2.3.0 STABLE | 2.33.401.19 Tweaks | HUB | OTA

Search This thread

alexnaoumi

Jun 24, 2010
Detroit
The difference between full ROM and magisk ROM is, that the magisk ROM will only be applied as magisk module and your stock system will be untouched, so that you easily could install HTC ota updates, by just disabling the magisk ROM module.
(As long as you keep the stock recovery, else you have to switch from twrp to stock recovery, before you apply a HTC ota update)

If you flash the full ROM, your stock system will be replaced by the modified system of the viper ROM.
You there could select, which system apps you want to be removed on flash and several other stuff.
You also could select, during the aroma installer, your preferred root method.
Recommended is magisk+magiskSU.

Regarding tweaks, there isn't a real difference.
Just a very minor amount of tweaks doesn't work on the magisk ROM.
E.g. changing the boot- and down animation.

Sent from my HTC U11 using XDA Labs

Thank you for clarifying. I'm backing up a stock image and I'll be good to flash away again. It feels good to be rooted again

alexnaoumi

Jun 24, 2010
Detroit
I'm having trouble getting wifi calling to work. I use t-mobile. At first, I used the default setting in aroma, but I reset everything and chose US unlocked/Verizon and ticked "force wifi calling and VOLTE settings". In the settings app, anything having to do with wifi calling is flipped off and when I click on it, it's grayed out and doesn't change. Was there something I did incorrectly?

trevb87

Oct 22, 2008
West Lafayette, IN
I'm having trouble getting wifi calling to work. I use t-mobile. At first, I used the default setting in aroma, but I reset everything and chose US unlocked/Verizon and ticked "force wifi calling and VOLTE settings". In the settings app, anything having to do with wifi calling is flipped off and when I click on it, it's grayed out and doesn't change. Was there something I did incorrectly?

Try not selecting force wifi calling. I didn't and am using wifi calling just fine

Reactions: alexnaoumi

Snah001

Jun 3, 2006
Netherlands
I'm modding and spending freetime on xda now for nearly 10 years. I got a two years old son now, and my time is really needed elsewhere.
I somehow also lost the fun a bit to reverse engineer and add features to the Sense framework...It is more a burden atm than a hobby.
Additionally the rapid decrease of the custom rom community and the low sales from HTC makes it worse.
Back on the m7, over 60k installations within a year (over +100k overall), now on the U11, we do not even have 1k installations.
That is also causing that donations went down in some months that much, that I had to pay server costs from my own money :confused:

The decrease of the custom rom community is a general trend though, even if you look over the samsung forums.
It is just slightly better than on the HTC forums, altough Samsung devices have a marketshare of about 25%, where HTC like 2% maybe.
Seems the need for custom roms is not there anymore, stock roms are quite good nowadays and too expensive for some to void warranty with unlocking the bootloader.
Also rooting isn't as easy as before: safety net is breaking apps and stock features. Sure there is magisk, but that makes it probably too compilated for some, so they just leave it alone.

Hi Jan, Understand your point of view completely but hate to see you go, never forgot working as tester during the Pokemon area.
Although: this is your second goodbye since you left a few years ago too so never say never again! :angel:
Pleases me that all is ok with the missus and your (2 years old already!) son.

Indeed since stock Rom's did evolve so immensely and people are much quicker satisfied with that, custom rom's are loosing ground and as you said the downhill salesfigures of HTC and their marketing does the rest.
Hanging around here since 2006 is a long time and when you look back where we came from (device wise) it is astonishing.

Just keep things cool and live your life as you whish and and are comfortable with.

Cheers.

crowsnestitsupport

Sep 16, 2015
Altoona, PA
I'm modding and spending freetime on xda now for nearly 10 years. I got a two years old son now, and my time is really needed elsewhere.
I somehow also lost the fun a bit to reverse engineer and add features to the Sense framework...It is more a burden atm than a hobby.
Additionally the rapid decrease of the custom rom community and the low sales from HTC makes it worse.
Back on the m7, over 60k installations within a year (over +100k overall), now on the U11, we do not even have 1k installations.
That is also causing that donations went down in some months that much, that I had to pay server costs from my own money :confused:

The decrease of the custom rom community is a general trend though, even if you look over the samsung forums.
It is just slightly better than on the HTC forums, altough Samsung devices have a marketshare of about 25%, where HTC like 2% maybe.
Seems the need for custom roms is not there anymore, stock roms are quite good nowadays and too expensive for some to void warranty with unlocking the bootloader.
Also rooting isn't as easy as before: safety net is breaking apps and stock features. Sure there is magisk, but that makes it probably too compilated for some, so they just leave it alone.

Wow! The HTC user community will forever be indebted to you and your team. No future HTC device will be the same without Viper :( God bless you and your family.

j to the 4n

Recognized Developer
Oct 18, 2012
apktool d -b -f Freetime.apk xda
So much quiet, I'm secretly hoping this is the quiet before the oreo storm lol

We are working on oreo quite some time already. Was a pita at the beginning it get it even deodexed properly.
There are some issues with decompiling tools atm that will prevent us modding some features into the framework unfortunately.
So there won't be any header customization like heqs, weather or info lines widgets etc. Without the tools getting fixed, there is no way for us to get the features in.
But still we are makign good progress. Confident that we can release a rom shortly after we have a stable WWE base. Currently working on a 2.32.xxx.x carrier build.

What might be troublesome is that you will have no wifi with old firmware and probably some other stuff won't work well on old firmware.
So you need a matching cid to update via RUU, or return back to stock to take the HTC OTA...or S-OFF and flash it.

norgan

May 7, 2006
Sydney, AU
We are working on oreo quite some time already. Was a pita at the beginning it get it even deodexed properly.
There are some issues with decompiling tools atm that will prevent us modding some features into the framework unfortunately.
So there won't be any header customization like heqs, weather or info lines widgets etc. Without the tools getting fixed, there is no way for us to get the features in.
But still we are makign good progress. Confident that we can release a rom shortly after we have a stable WWE base. Currently working on a 2.32.xxx.x carrier build.

What might be troublesome is that you will have no wifi with old firmware and probably some other stuff won't work well on old firmware.
So you need a matching cid to update via RUU, or return back to stock to take the HTC OTA...or S-OFF and flash it.
Thanks for taking so much time to reply!

drich66

Sep 8, 2012
Ft. Lauderdale
HTC U11+
Speaking of firmware, im on Sprint, is there any reason i should update my firmware? Im having no issues but know there is one available. This Rom is running so good with not 1 issue. Today I give thanks to all of the rom builders, especially Viper. Thank you for all you do.

j to the 4n

Recognized Developer
Oct 18, 2012
apktool d -b -f Freetime.apk xda
Speaking of firmware, im on Sprint, is there any reason i should update my firmware? Im having no issues but know there is one available. This Rom is running so good with not 1 issue. Today I give thanks to all of the rom builders, especially Viper. Thank you for all you do.

should be just a minor update...so not that important.
Think I'm still on 1.03 firmware as well, lol.

Reactions: drich66

CannyDuck

Mar 10, 2010
Is it possibile to integreate the "LED notificaton timeout" option into Venon Tweaks. On previous ViperROM this options was available to prevent the LED blink disappears after a few period of time.
If I select "3G/H/LTE" as signal icons in Venom Tweaks it is not applied. Always I see "4G" instead of "LTE", using Dual SIM als carrier option.

tbalden

Recognized Developer
Oct 22, 2010
Budapest
www.virtuousrom.com
All pnp mods are incompatible with my EAS kernel as pnpmgr needs to be disabled for the EAS kernel to run fully functional.

Also my understanding now is that non stock kernels have issue with at least the balanced pnp profile, occasional full freezes without reboot.
@ivicask is this happening with all the profiles? Which was the first time this was reported, do we have an approximate date. If this happens only on non stock, I have a guess that something is fishy with something that I have introduced.
Or with something missing from the sources published so far by htc

Last edited:

Ainz_Ooal_Gown

Feb 3, 2013
Los Osos

I was using Viper since I had my HTC Sensation 4G on T-Mobile, your guy's Rom Is a masterpiece, and I was overjoyed when I got my M9 and you guys were still around, and now I'm on my U11 and you guys are still hear and I may be late but thank you for making phones worth Rooting for me...IDK what I will do when you retire...I may just start making a custom Rom myself..

Reactions: j to the 4n

janarp

Nov 5, 2009
3rd Rock from the Sun
want to ask, how long you guys support HTC U11? is Oreo update last one by you guys? asking this because I plan to use this phone at least two years and can't live without latest Android and without ViperU ROM... and of course can't live without ViperDark theme... anyway I want to say thank you for this awesome ROM what I'm using since HTC Desire HD days... probably my next phone will be some Pixel phone... wish you guys lots of luck in your personal life.. ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WSijeWh.png

Featured by @Tomsgt aka RootJunky and @zedomax aka Highonandroid

More videos

devs.png

j to the 4n | m0narx | ivicask | topjohnwu

Installation.png

1. Download the latest rom from our venomroms download page
    2. If you got an external sdcard place the downloaded zip there. In case you haven't, wait for step 6 to copy it to your internal sdcard.
    3. Backup your internal sdcard if you got important content on it. Unlocking bootloader will wipe all your data, including your internal sdcard. Your external sdcard will stay untouched.
    4. Register at HTCdev if you dont have an account yet and follow the instructions there to unlock your bootloader
    5. Boot up your phone and copy the rom to your internal sdcard in case you didn't in step one to your external.
    6. Download the lastest TWRP Recovery version on the TRWP Download Page
    7. Flash it with fastboot with following command: fastboot flash recovery recovery.img (replace recovery.img with the actual filename it got downloaded with)
    8. To boot into recovery use 'adb reboot recovery' or press and hold power + volume down and wait till it booted to the bootloader. From there you can navigate with the volume buttons and confirm with the power button to boot to the recovery
    9. If you are coming from stock: Make a backup of your stock rom in TWRP recovery. Include System Image and Boot. Now you have a full stock backup, except recovery, in case you want to return back to stock one day.
    10. Ensure you allow system modifications in TWRP when asked.
    11. In TWRP click Install and pick the rom either from internal or external sdcard to install it.
    12. The installer will start and will guide you through the installation

visit.png

credits.png

Credits.png

XDA:DevDB Information
    24.09 - OREO ViperU 2.3.0 STABLE | 2.33.401.19 Tweaks | HUB | OTA , ROM for the HTC U11

Contributors
    j to the 4n, mikalovtch, topjohnwu, m0narx, Basil3
    ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x
    Based On: HTC Sense

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 2.3.0
    Stable Release Date: 2018-09-24
    Current Beta Version: 2.0.4
    Beta Release Date: 2017-12-13

Created 2017-06-09
    Last Updated 2018-09-23
    changelog.png
    ViperU 2.2.0 (18th June)
    Fixes& Updates
    • Updated all system apps
    • Updated Sense Home to HTC U12+ version 10.00.1035742
    • Added SystemUI from U12+
    • Added possibility to change extended quicksettings colors
    • Added custom open app animation
    • Added double tap to sleep on home screen
    Full wipe may be required.

ViperU 2.1.0 Stable is online

changelog.png

ViperU 2.1.0 Stable (Dec 19th)

Fixes& Updates
    • Rebase on 2.33.401.10
    • Fixed swap volume keys on landscape
    • Fixed Prism FC
    • Added Custom NEQS Tiles
    • Disabled all non working Mods in VenomTweaks, so you stop asking why they don't work
    • Fixed traffic and battery text not changing color on light statusbar

Some info to the Oreo Rom you should read:

For all people that are already on Oreo firmware can simply flash the rom as usual.
    WWE Oreo firmwares you can find here.

If you are on nougat firmware and flash the Oreo Rom your Wi-FI and and Voice in calls will just work if you flash the Oreo radio and DSP image from here: Oreo Radio and DSP Images

What you should be aware of:
    Returning back to Nougat will just work when you format data in TWRP, so back up your data and also your internal sdcard. In case you flashed the Oreo Radio and DSP image ensure you flash back the nougat ones (via RUU or firmware).

In case you decide to flash the Oreo firmware: There is no way back atm, since you would need S-OFF to downgrade and sunshine s-off is not supported yet on Oreo.

Downloads.png

AndroidFileHost
    Google Drive

If you are sorry for your bad english, want to know how to fastboot flash or boot the Rom or have any stupid question, then pm @nkk71