24 hour first impressions

Search This thread

FlyOnTheWall43

May 17, 2014
Holland, MI
Has anyone else had random shut downs?

Got mine about 24 hours ago and have been using it heavily and no random reboot/shutdowns here.

Got a refurbished Nexus5x after my original one bootlooped, on this the bootloader can't even be unlocked... yay!

Really? When I google "Nexus 5x unlock bootloader" I get all kinds of results.... Did something change since those guides were made?

By the way, using another launcher most likely disables the Google Now pane (or how it is called by now...) as far as I know.
With Nova launcher, you can keep the swipe to the left foot Google now and hide the persistent search bar.

Action Launcher also has these capabilities... and the dev is crazy fast at implementing Pixel launcher features... for the search bar on the bottom, he released an update for this option on October 9th.

thesebastian

Sep 25, 2012
Barcelona
I switched from a Nexus 6P to a Pixel 2. This is the fastest phone I had. Several times faster than the Nexus 5 running KitKat and the Nexus 6P.

Camera is fast but after dozens of photos I decided to switch from HDR+ to HDR+ Enhanced. I prefer to wait a little more after every photo, with HDR+ only I got a few photos with less detailed clouds/sky...but it's difficult to run into this (with HDR+ Auto on the Nexus it was much more easier and HDR+ was a must there).

I need to put a case asap as it's really slippery though.

Sent from my Pixel 2

Last edited:

EggZenBeanz

Jul 21, 2005
Had it about 12 hours and i think it's a sweet phone. From a pixel owner I think it's a great incremental upgrade. Not sure why it gets a bad rep for bezels it looks fine to me. Especially compared to the pixel. I'm happy with it

Aerys

Jun 18, 2012
Im still considering whether to buy the Pixel 2 or not. What do you guys think about the bezels?
Does it bother you?

guysalami

Oct 26, 2016
Im still considering whether to buy the Pixel 2 or not. What do you guys think about the bezels?
Does it bother you?

Doesn't bother me but I could see it bothering others for sure. I find the bottom bezel helps in keeping the nav buttons in reach for one handed use so I'm not super hyped to get rid of it. Having a shorter device would be nice but there are much more important things to consider for myself.

rajeshr

Dec 8, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Does it bother you?

Yes, it does to a certain degree. Although I'm used to the Pixel XL bezels, I think the S8+ screen has spoiled me towards thinner bezels. For me, I think I'm going to try the Pixel 2 XL. Given that I had to return my Pixel 2 due to constant, random reboots, I'm going to wait for my Pixel 2 XL order to come through...

Large Hadron

Aug 14, 2010
Does it bother you?
In practice, no. I wouldn't mind the bottom bezel being a bit smaller, but not too much: too low and either the nav buttons would be uncomfortably low or there would be dead space below them. But in use it's not important, I just use the phone and don't notice them when doing so.

ashokabs

Mar 9, 2011
New Delhi
First it just broke OTA, then came forced SELinux, then this SafetyNet thing first only if modified something, now even if just unlocking bootloader. All their justification was "increased security". Thank you, but I can protect myself.
Got a refurbished Nexus5x after my original one bootlooped, on this the bootloader can't even be unlocked... yay!
I have a refurbished Nexus 5X - repaired by LG and I unlocked and rooted it. No problem so far.

drew2d1

Aug 2, 2010
I'm on the fence about keeping it. It's slightly bigger than my S6 despite having a smaller screen. The S6 came out in 2015. Plus those bezels...

Good points are those speakers and bluetooth sound. and really good coming back to stock after a couple years with Samsung.

I'm having issues with the touchpad too. Doesn't register touches quite often.

Get to try the camera out properly on Friday. Will decide after that.

PuffDaddy_d

Aug 29, 2010
Houston, TX
I'm on the fence about keeping it. It's slightly bigger than my S6 despite having a smaller screen. The S6 came out in 2015. Plus those bezels...

Good points are those speakers and bluetooth sound. and really good coming back to stock after a couple years with Samsung.

I'm having issues with the touchpad too. Doesn't register touches quite often.

Get to try the camera out properly on Friday. Will decide after that.
Update the OS to the November security patch. That fixed the fingerprint reader for me. On the original software, I was only getting about a 50% success rate. Sometimes it would fail 3 times in a row before reading my finger. Now, it works every time on the first try.

But honestly, I don't think this phone is worth $650. Not after so many other companies made devices with more features for less money. The stock software experience was nice back in 2014 when the hardware couldn't keep up with Android skins, but now, it just feels incomplete when I can't do things that are baked into other devices at fraction of the price.

I'm still glad to have it though since I only spent $325. Any more than that would have made me return it and keep my Honor 8.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've had the Pixel 2 a little over 24 hours now.

Okay. More like 36.

Here are my initial impressions...

Mod edit, removed link
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone