General 24 Hours with Mi 11 Ultra China ROM in the US (AT&T)

Search This thread

ajschill77

Jul 6, 2020
What apn settings are you using for At&t? You had to manually put them in? I have the chinese version also on at&t and my data seems slow at times...

sc954rr

Aug 25, 2015
NJ
Awesome write up as I am considering using this phone as my daily driver if it is that good as I'm not really a fan of Samsung these days. Cant decide to get the Chinese version or wait for the global version but reading this and you are using AT&T as well it seems the Chinese version might be the way to go anyway. You have any issues setting up the phone or just pop in sim and go?

jmikepr

Aug 15, 2019
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Awesome write up as I am considering using this phone as my daily driver if it is that good as I'm not really a fan of Samsung these days. Cant decide to get the Chinese version or wait for the global version but reading this and you are using AT&T as well it seems the Chinese version might be the way to go anyway. You have any issues setting up the phone or just pop in sim and go?
Nope, literally just popped the sim in and boom. Service.

Reactions: sc954rr

ajschill77

Jul 6, 2020
Thanks for the reply, is there anyway you can send me a link or a copy of those apn settings? When I find them online and enter them, I save them and then they just disappear... Thanks!

sc954rr

Aug 25, 2015
NJ
Forgot to ask do you get volte and or calls over WiFi? Did you have manually enter the codes thru dialer to enable these options?

jmikepr

Aug 15, 2019
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
I'd like to add. This phone is the the first time wireless charging has ever made sense to me. I got the 80w Xiaomi charger on Trading Shenzhen.

It's s complete game changer knowing you can just slap your phone down quickly and top off at anytime the same speed the wired charging would be.

That doesn't work on China nor global.

It's also bugged to hell on every other OEM including Samsung
Samsung bugged? I have t really noticed. You can customize Samsung as much as you want. Default launcher bothers me though. It's crappy we need to wait a week and all the personalization goes to drain as it's better to set up from scratch on xiaomi eu. And the missing notifications...

Last edited:

Pacman1969

Feb 28, 2013
Here is my first update a little under 24 hours later with the China Mi 11 Ultra on ATT in the US.

1. This is a freaking beast of a phone. Completely worth the hype.

2. The China ROM is extremely usable. So much so I am considering using it full time. However, I did go ahead and start the 165 hour or whatever bootloader unlock process to unlock and flash .EU or Global if needed.

3.Basically all google services work flawlessly. Google Assistant triggers via hot word, opens up whatever is needed, etc. YouTube, YouTube music, etc.

4. Service with ATT has been shockingly good despite not having LTE band 66. ATT has no 5G in my market so I cannot speak to that. However, LTE has been fast. I live in a more rural part of the US than many of you could imagine, and I travel through some extremely rural areas. (I am talking driving past a field of 400 cows). I pull 50-150 mpbs download speed everywhere I check. While driving through that mega rural area I was on a phone call the whole time, and the quality was fine and did not drop at all.

5. If you are new to MIUI you need to know a few things. Go into every app that you care about's settings. Enable auto start and turn off MiUI battery saver. Then go into the security app, settings button at the top right. Click boost speed. ADD EVERY APP you want notifications from, along with the steps I mentioned above. MIUI is like a splash of cold water on your face if you are not used to a Chinese OEM. However, once you LEARN to play by its rules, and tweak. Basically, all of your quirky problems can be resolved. Just give it some time. Google problems, look them up on reddit. Most likely there is a way to tweak MIUI to stop doing something annoying you don't want it to do (such as virus scanning new apps). Be prepared to spend a good bit of time de-chinafying your ROM. The western and eastern market have vastly different taste in how Android should function.

6. The camera is amazing. Took some amazing photos of my kids. The shutter isn't quite as fast as my Pixel 4 xl, so there is some chance of motion blur. HOWEVER, its NOWHERE near as bad as Samsung's shutter lag and motion blur on moving objects. I would say with my s21 ultra and every Samsung before 3/5 photos of kids were unusable due to motion blur. On the Mi 11 Ultra is maybe 1/8-9 photos is a bit blurry if my kids are really moving.

7. All my banking apps work without issue. Specifically American Express.

8. It charges BLAZING fast. I went from 1% to fully charged in under an hour. Although I did not time it. The battery lasts a much longer time than the Global Mi 11 I tried a month ago. I have 2.5 hours of SOT today and still have 70% battery.

Here are some issues I have run into within 24 hours. None of them are major, but I figured I would note them.

1. I cannot get visual voicemail to work. Either through the Google Dialer app on Beta (Which literally works on every single phone on ATT that I have tried with) nor the ATT visual voicemail app. I am not giving up on this one as I think I can still fix it.

2. Google Pay fired up without a hitch, let me add cards flawlessly. However, when I went to use it at the grocery store. The NFC would scan, the phone would say "leave network connected while paying"(or something similar) and then the terminal would say transaction failed. I did this a few times and it happened every time. I'm not ready to say it doesn't work but I was done holding up the line. I just paid with my physical card and moved on. I will update if I can fix it.

3. Bluetooth behavior to my car, while making calls with audio output has been extremely buggy. It doesn't seem to matter if I toggle it from Bluetooth, to speaker to earpiece. It's like the audio gets lost. It doesn't happen every time either. It's just a buggy mess when it does. I'm wondering if it's some kind of output bug with my car and my Bluetooth Samsung watch and the phone doesn't know where to output the audio. Will update this with more troubleshooting.

I will update this thread as I spend more time with the device. AMA.

EDIT: Also to save some headaches. If you have a Samsung Watch. You need to change settings on all three apps. The wear app, the "watch(insert model) plug in app" and the samsung accessory app. Turn autostart on for all of them. Turn off battery optimization. Then go into security > Settings > Speed boost. Add all three to your speed boost. If you don't, every time you clear your recent apps the watch will disconnect.

Edit 2: Gpay is now working thanks to a tip from user: jirka607. Switch default wallet to HCE.

Edit 3: I've given up on visual voicemail. Just set missed calls to forward to Google Voice where I can check voicemail "visually" via the app.
Question for you. I bought the global version of the Mi 11 Ultra. Am waiting for delivery. I also have the Samsung S21 Ultra Exynos version. I have not been impressed with the camera of the s21 ultra especially indoor pics. A lot of noise in indoor pics. Do you think Mi 11 Ultra has a better camera?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Question for you. I bought the global version of the Mi 11 Ultra. Am waiting for delivery. I also have the Samsung S21 Ultra Exynos version. I have not been impressed with the camera of the s21 ultra especially indoor pics. A lot of noise in indoor pics. Do you think Mi 11 Ultra has a better camera?
    After using them both. I think the GN2 and the larger sensor on the Mi 11 Ultra gives it the win. I think the S21 has better ultra wide and tele photo. That's not to say the Mi 11 Ultra has bad ultra wide and telephoto though.

The Mi 11 Ultra does very well on dim indoor photos compared to previous phones of mine like Pixel 4 XL, S21 Ultra, iPhone 11.

I took the Mi 11 Ultra out to the park with family today and it was AMAZING.
    Thanks for the info. Maybe I should just jump on the China model since I can get the 8GB model for cheaper...

When you say de-Chinafying it, what are the initial changes you have done?

Thanks for all your help and responses! This is very helpful.
    Basically you need to add the app drawer, because by default it's like iOS with all apps on screen. Otherwise swiping up brings a ton of chinese stuff up

You need to disable the Xiaomi feed (app vault?) which is to the left like Google Feed is on Pixels, but it's a bunch of chinese stuff.

You need to go to notifications and tell it not to "group unimportant notifications" because that literally just is the dumbest feature ever.

You need to go into the mi app store, go to your installed apps, and uninstall like 30 Chinese Bloatware apps.

You need to install Gboard because the Xiaomi english keyboard is weird

You need to disable "Xiaomi secure keyboard" that remains after installing Gboard on password menus because it seems to affect autofill from password managers instead of having Gboard integrate directly with your password manager.

You need to go to wallet and change it from Mi Wallet to HCE so Google Pay works.

That's all I can spitball off the the top of my heads but that will go a long way.
    For the google pay problem go to NFC setting and set to HCE Wallet
    I am using Nova 7.0.25 Beta on OneUi 3.1 and I do not have these problems can you please give me the links of Nova statements or discussions
    Reddit Thread

Samsung Thread

Xda Thread

Are just a few. I can't seem to find the Nova statements but I've experienced this first hand and so have the others in those threads.

On my S21 Ultra. As recently as early March. Swiping up on Nova to go home would cause a crash like animation where it looked like the launcher restarted. That's when I found out I'm not the only one by searching around online.