[25.01.2011] WARNING! Do not flash JM*,KA*... README! [Patch released, L/N supported]

Search This thread

Chainfire

Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
DO NOT USE THIS ON THE GINGERBREAD RELEASES ! THE SAMSUNG GINGERBREAD RELEASES DO HAVE SIGNED BOOTLOADERS, BUT THEY ARE NOT LOCKED. In other words, you can still flash custom kernels and such, and the bootloader patch will only break things, not fix them.

To read the history of this problem, see the 2nd post of this thread (scroll down).

A number of new firmwares for the Samsung Galaxy Tab come with "signed / protected" bootloaders. These new bootloaders prevent you from flashing custom or otherwise unsigned kernels on the device. Trying to do so anyway will result in errors and usually requires you to reflash your ROM completely.

I hope everybody here has learned the lesson not to just flash anything that SamFirmware releases ;)

The patch
After a great many hours of researching, testing and coding, myself (Chainfire) and Rotohammer have come up with a patch that works on most devices (currently all known GSM Tab variants), and flashes back unprotected JJ4 (T-Mobile ?) bootloaders, or the original P1000N bootloaders for the Latin models. The app only patches when it finds protected bootloaders, and you have to press a button for that, so the app can also be used to look at your current status.

The patch has been tested repeatedly and with success on (0 bricks so far):

- GT-P1000 Euro/International/Unbranded Galaxy Tab
- SGH-I987 AT&T Galaxy Tab
- SGH-I987 Rogers Galaxy Tab
- SGH-T849 T-Mobile Galaxy Tab

- GT-P1000L Latin Galaxy Tab (use LATIN version!)
- GT-P1000N Latin Galaxy Tab (use LATIN version!)

Additional thanks to: koush, neldar, richardtrip, AColwill, farahbolsey, deezid, wgery, tmaurice, rmanaudio, crisvillani, alterbridge86, ivannw, themartinohana, luisfer691 (in no particular order!)

Please note that even though there have not been any bricks so far, replacing bootloaders is a very dangerous operation that may BRICK your device, and you should think twice before using the patch. Using the patch is completely AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Instructions
Download the attached APK, install it on your device, and run it. It will show you a status screen, and if your device is compatible and you have protected bootloaders, the bottom entry "Patch bootloaders" will become available. Tapping it will start the patch procedure.

Note that the patch requires root !

Mini-FAQ

--- After the fix, my "zImage" still shows signed ! Is this a problem ?

No, this is perfectly fine! What matters is that "PBL", "SBL" and "SBL_Backup" are not signed. If "zImage" is signed, it means this ROM can be flashed onto a device that has signed bootloaders. UNsigned "zImage"s can NOT be flashed on signed bootloaders. This is the origin of the problem, because custom kernels are always UNsigned "zImage"s !

--- Can I now flash any ROM and just use this application to fix the bootloaders ?

Technically yes. But it would be stupid to do so. Flashing bootloaders (what this app does) is VERY dangerous, it is the only way to really brick a Tab. If you want to flash a new ROM, make sure it DOES NOT contain bootloaders. Remove them yourself, or wait for somebody else (like Rotohammer) to remove the bootloaders and post the "safe" ROM. Even though this patch is available, if at all possible, you should always try to avoid having to use it.

CDMA tabs
There is currently no support for CDMA Galaxy Tabs, nor do we know if support is needed at this time.

LINKING
You are expressly forbidden to repost the APK elsewhere. If you post about this, post a link to this thread, not to the download (or a repost of the download).

Download
Don't forget to donate and/or press the thanks button!

For non-XDA members who cannot access the attachment, here are multiupload links:
Euro / International / Unbranded / AT&T / Rogers / T-Mo: http://www.multiupload.com/EMOCU1S0V2
Latin (P1000L and P1000N): http://www.multiupload.com/3TJ3YWMWJR

MAKE SURE TO SELECT THE RIGHT DOWNLOAD!

Attachments

• sgt-bl-fix-1.png
    sgt-bl-fix-1.png
    38.6 KB · Views: 23,007
  • SGT-Bootloader-Patch-v1.00.apk
    676.5 KB · Views: 54,835
  • SGT-Bootloader-Patch-v1.00-P1000_L_N_LATIN.apk
    678.1 KB · Views: 19,284
Last edited:

Chainfire

Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
WARNING! Do not flash JM6/9/A/C/D/E/F... Before reading this !

THIS POST, #2 OF THIS THREAD, IS HISTORICAL AND LEFT HERE "FOR THE RECORD". SEE THE FIRST POST FOR WHAT IS CURRENT!

BREAKING NEWS / JAN 15: A fix has been found ! See this post. Also see the bounty thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=906464.

This really applies to other ROMs as well, but the "new" JM6/9/A/C/D/E/F ROMs specifically.

Some of these ROMs include new bootloaders. These bootloaders check checksums/signatures in various parts of the firmwares. The "normal" Samsung ROMs, nor custom ROMs and kernels, have these checksums.

The result is that once flashed, you cannot revert to older/official/custom Samsung ROMs, and you are pretty much stuck using one of these four ROMs, as they are the only ones containing the right checksums.

At least TRIPLE CHECK if you want to flash one of these ROMs, that what you are flashing DOES NOT include the new bootloaders ( boot.bin and sbl.bin ). I know from the CF-Root thread that a fair number of you are already too late, but I thought to warn new users anyways. Some modders (like rotohammer) already usually remove these parts, but still triple check everything to make sure.

There is no known fix. I know, I've tried all of them some people suggested in other threads. None of them really works. Sure, with some effort, you can get a different firmware to somewhat run, but you'll still be using the "checksum" bootloaders and the kernel will not be modified. You will still be running the kernel from the "checksum" firmware you loaded earlier. You will not be able to do full flashes, nor will KIES updates work.

Hopefully somebody will find a real solution for this issue for those already affected. If so, please post it in this thread.

Are you affected ?

NEW DEC 28: See SGTBootloaderCheck script below!

It is hard to say for sure without actually trying to flash a non-JM6/A/C/D kernel without the correct checksum. Here's a screenshot of the error you'll get:
zimage.jpg

If you still have the original files for the ROM you flashed, but do not want to try flashing a non-Samsung-stock kernel, there are some indicators:
- Rename all .tar.md5 files to .tar
- Extract all the .tar files with WinRAR

- Look at the resulting files:
--- Includes "boot.bin" (primary bootloader)
--- Includes "sbl.bin" (secondary bootloader)
If one or both are present, this indicates new bootloaders are being flashed. That does not make it certain if they are "protected" or not, though. But if a large zImage is also present (see the next item), it is very likely they are.

--- "zImage" (kernel)
If zImage is about 7800 kb (as opposed to 4000 - 5500 kb that is normal), it is very likely this kernel includes a checksum. If you want to be 100% sure, open zImage in a hex editor, and go all the way to the end. There will be a few mb of 0's, followed by 128 bytes checksum - the very last 128 bytes in the file.

Such a zImage can be flashed both on "original" and the new "protected" bootloaders. The "protected" bootloaders can only flash these zImage, not the smaller variants.

If you have boot.bin, sbl.bin and a 7800 kb zImage, it is 99% likely flashing this ROM will give you a "protected" bootloader.

Some tech

Once these ROMs are flashed, it is required updates to "boot", "sbl", "zImage" have a 128-byte checksum/signature. In boot.bin and sbl.bin these are near the end, in zImage (7800 kb files) they are the very last 128 bytes. Only firmwares with a zImage that have this signature will be flashable (which at the time of this writing are only JM6/A/C/D).

I have no idea how this signature is generated as of yet, so "faking it" is also not an option. If somebody figures that out, please post it in this thread. Then we could just insert the signatures in the older bootloaders and flash them back (still a dangerous effort by itself).

I think, and possible others will correct me on this, the verification goes as follows, on a running device:

- PBL ( boot.bin ) checks SBL ( sbl.bin ) signature
- SBL checks kernel ( zImage ) signature

While flashing, I think it's the SBL that verifies the PBL/SBL/kernel flash, and refuses to write if the signature isn't correct.

Possible solutions

Flashing back "unprotected" bootloaders from older ROMs through either Odin or Heimdall does not work. These older bootloaders do not have the required signatures/checksums and thus the flash will fail.

A possible solution would be rooting the device, using Koush' bmlunlock, and dd'ing back bml1 and bml4 from backups, complete bypassing the flash checks. This is a very very dangerous to be trying out though, and unless you really know what you are doing, I wouldn't attempt it. Maybe someone has Samsung repair center contacts or a JTAG unit close by ? :)

Personal note

I have tried to flash back older bootloaders and kernels several times and in several ways (from for example JJ4) but this fails. Odin said it succeeded the very last time I tried, however it really didn't, as my device is now a full (user-wise) brick. It doesn't even turn on to show me the "phone --- | --- pc" error screen. So I guess I need to make a trip to the nearest Samsung repair center (200 miles away). Too bad my car also broke down today :D Guess it'll be some time (and money) before I have a working Tab again. Note that the brick was a problem with Odin, probably, not directly caused by the protected bootloaders themselves.

Update: Tab is back and working :) Replaced mobo, so I no longer have the signed bootloaders myself.

NEW DEC. 28: SGTBootloaderCheck

Attached is also SGTBootloaderCheck. This is a script run on your Windows PC through ADB to check your bootloaders. It requires root, SuperUser, and a working ADB connection.

Just unzip the archive to a new folder, and double-click "check.bat". That should dump your bootloaders and kernel, copy them to your computer, check the content for signatures, and let you know the result.

I can't guarantee it works, but it should :)

Attached

An archive with some relevant files for those who want to do some research. DON'T FLASH THESE FILES !!!

( 467, 909 )

Attachments

• TabBLResearch-0.1.zip
    5 MB · Views: 7,377
  • SGTBootloaderCheck-1.0.zip
    339.3 KB · Views: 7,471
Last edited:

codewisp

Dec 4, 2010
Quezon City
After flashing JM6, I have "zImage" and "Sbl.bin" but no "boot.bin" in my internal SD. Am I affected?

Also, is it safe to delete these files from my internal SD? I'm guessing they were put there temporarily and are now stored somewhere else already?

Reactions: MetalSaint

DubZyy

Sep 12, 2010
hey chainfire,

i'm sorry about the brick :/

my english seems to be very bad... could u explain me why ur tab is bricked now?

i think i understood why its not possible to flash to another firmware but why ur tab is bricked now? yesterday i flashed to jm6 from an old arabic fw (i think it was JJ1) with pit p1 and code, modem and csc file with re-part. on. so is anything there i have to look out now?

Reactions: MetalSaint

Chainfire

Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
After flashing JM6, I have "zImage" and "Sbl.bin" but no "boot.bin" in my internal SD. Am I affected?

Also, is it safe to delete these files from my internal SD? I'm guessing they were put there temporarily and are now stored somewhere else already?

You could be affected, I can't say for sure. The only way to be sure is trying to flash a custom kernel and see if Odin gives an error. See the CF-Root thread for screenshots of the error that is produced if you are affected. If there's no error and it boots, you have probably not been affected. Note that you can flash back the original JM6 kernel with both the "protected" as well as the "original" bootloaders.

I'll update the first post to add a bit more information.

Also yes, those files on your internal SD are temporary, you can delete them.

hey chainfire,

i'm sorry about the brick :/

my english seems to be very bad... could u explain me why ur tab is bricked now?

i think i understood why its not possible to flash to another firmware but why ur tab is bricked now? yesterday i flashed to jm6 from an old arabic fw (i think it was JJ1) with pit p1 and code, modem and csc file with re-part. on. so is anything there i have to look out now?

The brick is a result of a bad bootloader flash... it's not something any of you are likely to encounter (unless you are trying to fix this issue).

If you successfully flashed to JJ1 - Odin did not produce any errors - you are probably safe!

chinchen

Feb 17, 2008
Thanks for the information, but a little bit late for me :D --> bricked

My luck: Next samsung repair center is 5 kilometers away.

But I don't know what i should tell him.

The truth? ;)

Last edited:

Jesterz

Retired Moderator
Apr 27, 2006
@chainfire

Have your tried hexediting the version of the SBL to a "fake" newer version? or does the check only care about the checksum ? on older phone we used to be able to do this....

I'm unpacking my dev. tab as we speak so I hope to have some time to play between x-mas dinners ;)

Chainfire

Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu

The truth? ;)

Damned lucky the repair center is close!

You wouldn't happen to be living near me and I just never heard of this service center, would ya ? ;)

How exactly is it a brick ? It's only a brick if it doesn't turn on at all anymore (like mine). If you can get anything on screen, you can bring it back to life (although maybe with protected bootloaders).

@chainfire

Have your tried hexediting the version of the SBL to a "fake" newer version? or does the check only care about the checksum ? on older phone we used to be able to do this....

I'm unpacking my dev. tab as we speak so I hope to have some time to play between x-mas dinners ;)

As far as I have been able to deduce (I have not done a full decompile yet, and not sure if I'm going to) it's only the checksum that matters. But I could be wrong there.

I'll upload some files for you in a minute, so you can look at them yourself as well.

faust86

Apr 26, 2008
Poznan

The truth? ;)

Anything besides truth - tell them that you turn off Tab at evevning, and at the morning he doesnt start... they believe :)

Chainfire - my condolence... i also cannot flash CF-Root on JMC so i think i have new bootloader - im waiting for next steps when yours Galaxy Tab alive

sorry for my english;)

Last edited:

faust86

Apr 26, 2008
Poznan
Is there any way to check what version of bootloader i have installed? I cannot install CF-Root on JMC -its enough to say i upgrade bootloader in my Tab?

Last edited:

kromosto

Jul 11, 2010
Ankara
good to know i am not effected. and for people who has effected roms i think as we know the reason there will be a quick solution for this.

patomas

Mar 2, 2007
Me too

If you get the same error as in the screenshot linked to in the first post, yes, you have the protected bootloaders.

I have the error and I cant change ROM (a part from switching between JM6, JMA and JMC)... Hope someone soon find a fix!

My tab some ago was in a similar state (complete black and didnt show in ODIN).

My luck was that it was stuck in some kind of download mode. Leaving it connected to the computer has made a miracle: after more than 15 minutes it has appeared as connected in ODIN and was possible to flash back a ROM).

Chainfire

Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
I have the error and I cant change ROM (a part from switching between JM6, JMA and JMC)... Hope someone soon find a fix!

My luck was that it was stuck in some kind of download mode. Leaving it connected to the computer has made a miracle: after more than 15 minutes it has appeared as connected in ODIN and was possible to flash back a ROM).

I'll just try that. I have no hope of it working, but hey, it's not like I'm using the Tab for anything else right now :p

Reactions: rotohammer

rotohammer

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey

While the Tab was at a black screen, did you ever press the power button or did you just leave it alone for Odin to eventually find it?

Reactions: sundials

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    DO NOT USE THIS ON THE GINGERBREAD RELEASES ! THE SAMSUNG GINGERBREAD RELEASES DO HAVE SIGNED BOOTLOADERS, BUT THEY ARE NOT LOCKED. In other words, you can still flash custom kernels and such, and the bootloader patch will only break things, not fix them.

To read the history of this problem, see the 2nd post of this thread (scroll down).

A number of new firmwares for the Samsung Galaxy Tab come with "signed / protected" bootloaders. These new bootloaders prevent you from flashing custom or otherwise unsigned kernels on the device. Trying to do so anyway will result in errors and usually requires you to reflash your ROM completely.

I hope everybody here has learned the lesson not to just flash anything that SamFirmware releases ;)

The patch
    After a great many hours of researching, testing and coding, myself (Chainfire) and Rotohammer have come up with a patch that works on most devices (currently all known GSM Tab variants), and flashes back unprotected JJ4 (T-Mobile ?) bootloaders, or the original P1000N bootloaders for the Latin models. The app only patches when it finds protected bootloaders, and you have to press a button for that, so the app can also be used to look at your current status.

The patch has been tested repeatedly and with success on (0 bricks so far):

- GT-P1000 Euro/International/Unbranded Galaxy Tab
    - SGH-I987 AT&T Galaxy Tab
    - SGH-I987 Rogers Galaxy Tab
    - SGH-T849 T-Mobile Galaxy Tab

- GT-P1000L Latin Galaxy Tab (use LATIN version!)
    - GT-P1000N Latin Galaxy Tab (use LATIN version!)

Additional thanks to: koush, neldar, richardtrip, AColwill, farahbolsey, deezid, wgery, tmaurice, rmanaudio, crisvillani, alterbridge86, ivannw, themartinohana, luisfer691 (in no particular order!)

Please note that even though there have not been any bricks so far, replacing bootloaders is a very dangerous operation that may BRICK your device, and you should think twice before using the patch. Using the patch is completely AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Instructions
    Download the attached APK, install it on your device, and run it. It will show you a status screen, and if your device is compatible and you have protected bootloaders, the bottom entry "Patch bootloaders" will become available. Tapping it will start the patch procedure.

Note that the patch requires root !

Mini-FAQ

--- After the fix, my "zImage" still shows signed ! Is this a problem ?

No, this is perfectly fine! What matters is that "PBL", "SBL" and "SBL_Backup" are not signed. If "zImage" is signed, it means this ROM can be flashed onto a device that has signed bootloaders. UNsigned "zImage"s can NOT be flashed on signed bootloaders. This is the origin of the problem, because custom kernels are always UNsigned "zImage"s !

--- Can I now flash any ROM and just use this application to fix the bootloaders ?

Technically yes. But it would be stupid to do so. Flashing bootloaders (what this app does) is VERY dangerous, it is the only way to really brick a Tab. If you want to flash a new ROM, make sure it DOES NOT contain bootloaders. Remove them yourself, or wait for somebody else (like Rotohammer) to remove the bootloaders and post the "safe" ROM. Even though this patch is available, if at all possible, you should always try to avoid having to use it.

CDMA tabs
    There is currently no support for CDMA Galaxy Tabs, nor do we know if support is needed at this time.

LINKING
    You are expressly forbidden to repost the APK elsewhere. If you post about this, post a link to this thread, not to the download (or a repost of the download).

Download
    Don't forget to donate and/or press the thanks button!

For non-XDA members who cannot access the attachment, here are multiupload links:
    Euro / International / Unbranded / AT&T / Rogers / T-Mo: http://www.multiupload.com/EMOCU1S0V2
    Latin (P1000L and P1000N): http://www.multiupload.com/3TJ3YWMWJR

MAKE SURE TO SELECT THE RIGHT DOWNLOAD!
    WARNING! Do not flash JM6/9/A/C/D/E/F... Before reading this !

THIS POST, #2 OF THIS THREAD, IS HISTORICAL AND LEFT HERE "FOR THE RECORD". SEE THE FIRST POST FOR WHAT IS CURRENT!

BREAKING NEWS / JAN 15: A fix has been found ! See this post. Also see the bounty thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=906464.

This really applies to other ROMs as well, but the "new" JM6/9/A/C/D/E/F ROMs specifically.

Some of these ROMs include new bootloaders. These bootloaders check checksums/signatures in various parts of the firmwares. The "normal" Samsung ROMs, nor custom ROMs and kernels, have these checksums.

The result is that once flashed, you cannot revert to older/official/custom Samsung ROMs, and you are pretty much stuck using one of these four ROMs, as they are the only ones containing the right checksums.

At least TRIPLE CHECK if you want to flash one of these ROMs, that what you are flashing DOES NOT include the new bootloaders ( boot.bin and sbl.bin ). I know from the CF-Root thread that a fair number of you are already too late, but I thought to warn new users anyways. Some modders (like rotohammer) already usually remove these parts, but still triple check everything to make sure.

There is no known fix. I know, I've tried all of them some people suggested in other threads. None of them really works. Sure, with some effort, you can get a different firmware to somewhat run, but you'll still be using the "checksum" bootloaders and the kernel will not be modified. You will still be running the kernel from the "checksum" firmware you loaded earlier. You will not be able to do full flashes, nor will KIES updates work.

Hopefully somebody will find a real solution for this issue for those already affected. If so, please post it in this thread.

Are you affected ?

NEW DEC 28: See SGTBootloaderCheck script below!

It is hard to say for sure without actually trying to flash a non-JM6/A/C/D kernel without the correct checksum. Here's a screenshot of the error you'll get:
    zimage.jpg

If you still have the original files for the ROM you flashed, but do not want to try flashing a non-Samsung-stock kernel, there are some indicators:
    - Rename all .tar.md5 files to .tar
    - Extract all the .tar files with WinRAR

--- Includes "boot.bin" (primary bootloader)
    --- Includes "sbl.bin" (secondary bootloader)
    If one or both are present, this indicates new bootloaders are being flashed. That does not make it certain if they are "protected" or not, though. But if a large zImage is also present (see the next item), it is very likely they are.

--- "zImage" (kernel)
    If zImage is about 7800 kb (as opposed to 4000 - 5500 kb that is normal), it is very likely this kernel includes a checksum. If you want to be 100% sure, open zImage in a hex editor, and go all the way to the end. There will be a few mb of 0's, followed by 128 bytes checksum - the very last 128 bytes in the file.

Such a zImage can be flashed both on "original" and the new "protected" bootloaders. The "protected" bootloaders can only flash these zImage, not the smaller variants.

If you have boot.bin, sbl.bin and a 7800 kb zImage, it is 99% likely flashing this ROM will give you a "protected" bootloader.

Some tech

Once these ROMs are flashed, it is required updates to "boot", "sbl", "zImage" have a 128-byte checksum/signature. In boot.bin and sbl.bin these are near the end, in zImage (7800 kb files) they are the very last 128 bytes. Only firmwares with a zImage that have this signature will be flashable (which at the time of this writing are only JM6/A/C/D).

I have no idea how this signature is generated as of yet, so "faking it" is also not an option. If somebody figures that out, please post it in this thread. Then we could just insert the signatures in the older bootloaders and flash them back (still a dangerous effort by itself).

I think, and possible others will correct me on this, the verification goes as follows, on a running device:

- PBL ( boot.bin ) checks SBL ( sbl.bin ) signature
    - SBL checks kernel ( zImage ) signature

While flashing, I think it's the SBL that verifies the PBL/SBL/kernel flash, and refuses to write if the signature isn't correct.

Possible solutions

Flashing back "unprotected" bootloaders from older ROMs through either Odin or Heimdall does not work. These older bootloaders do not have the required signatures/checksums and thus the flash will fail.

A possible solution would be rooting the device, using Koush' bmlunlock, and dd'ing back bml1 and bml4 from backups, complete bypassing the flash checks. This is a very very dangerous to be trying out though, and unless you really know what you are doing, I wouldn't attempt it. Maybe someone has Samsung repair center contacts or a JTAG unit close by ? :)

Personal note

I have tried to flash back older bootloaders and kernels several times and in several ways (from for example JJ4) but this fails. Odin said it succeeded the very last time I tried, however it really didn't, as my device is now a full (user-wise) brick. It doesn't even turn on to show me the "phone --- | --- pc" error screen. So I guess I need to make a trip to the nearest Samsung repair center (200 miles away). Too bad my car also broke down today :D Guess it'll be some time (and money) before I have a working Tab again. Note that the brick was a problem with Odin, probably, not directly caused by the protected bootloaders themselves.

Update: Tab is back and working :) Replaced mobo, so I no longer have the signed bootloaders myself.

NEW DEC. 28: SGTBootloaderCheck

Attached is also SGTBootloaderCheck. This is a script run on your Windows PC through ADB to check your bootloaders. It requires root, SuperUser, and a working ADB connection.

Just unzip the archive to a new folder, and double-click "check.bat". That should dump your bootloaders and kernel, copy them to your computer, check the content for signatures, and let you know the result.

I can't guarantee it works, but it should :)

Attached

An archive with some relevant files for those who want to do some research. DON'T FLASH THESE FILES !!!

( 467, 909 )
    Ok, I have spoken to Rotohammer, and he has sent me the files for the fix.

It is a sensitive fix, and thus we are not just releasing it. We will be making an APK that does the unlocking for you, so there's no chance you mess up the commands and brick your device. That is, at least, if we don't mess up the APK ;)

Expect the APK to go into (closed!) testing early next week, with hopefully a public release early the week after that.
    rotohammer, you're the man! did u already figure out the steps u are going to do, or are they still the same u posted here some time ago?

I flashed a protected bootloader, then tried flashing a stock at&t kernel as well as CF-Root, both failed to flash. Then I flashed the recovery bootloaders using the jtag box, and I now Its unprotected.

Next step: force a new sbl via redbend!