• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

256GB microsd cards

Search This thread

CatherineVeraGat

May 31, 2017
I have been thinking about getting the Motorola G5 Plus but I want to USE a 256GB microsd card, instead of a 128GB microsd card.

But on the Official Moto G5 Plus website, it says that Motorola G5 Plus microSd card slot ONLY SUPPORTS 128GB microsd cards. So how do I know that when I get the Motorola G5 Plus, that it will support 256GB microsd cards?

Anybody that is in the same boat as me, please tell me any suggestions that you have made. I'm currently in the United States. So the Moto G5 Plus is the only official phone available in the G series

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

monkey3ddd

Aug 29, 2009
I use a 200gb card in a moto e whose limit says 128g, might even be 64, don't remember. Those aren't always hard and fast rules.

ckret

Sep 22, 2010
I have been thinking about getting the Motorola G5 Plus but I want to USE a 256GB microsd card, instead of a 128GB microsd card.

But on the Official Moto G5 Plus website, it says that Motorola G5 Plus microSd card slot ONLY SUPPORTS 128GB microsd cards. So how do I know that when I get the Motorola G5 Plus, that it will support 256GB microsd cards?

Anybody that is in the same boat as me, please tell me any suggestions that you have made. I'm currently in the United States. So the Moto G5 Plus is the only official phone available in the G series

Well they officially support up to 128gb but you should be able to use a 256gb without any problems

Reactions: sd_shadow

manos78

Jan 17, 2014
Hi,

SD limits announced by manufacturers are completly useless... only two causes can make the limit:

- The filesystem used: Any SD card of 64GB or more is "pre-formatted" with exFAT. This is because this is a requiment enforced by the SD Consortium. Then, if the device doesn't support exFAT, they announce supporting only 32GB in SD. But if you reformat the card with FAT32, then you can use 64,128 or more.

- The SD standard supported: original SD has a limit of 4GB, SDHC has a 32GB limit, and SDXC has a limit of 2TB (at time, no card with 2TB exists). Then if the device has support for SDXC (as the Moto G5 and the 99% of smartphones of today), ANY card be compatible... as all cards has less than 2TB.

That's all! The Linux kernel or the Android subsystem doesn't imposse any artifical limit to the SD slot.

scuzzo500

Jul 31, 2012
I know I had a tablet one time that would not read anything over 64 gb so I formatted an 128 card into two 60gb partitions.

64Chris

Sep 6, 2015
Highlands Ranch
manos78 ROCKS!

Hi,

SD limits announced by manufacturers are completly useless... only two causes can make the limit:

- The filesystem used: Any SD card of 64GB or more is "pre-formatted" with exFAT. This is because this is a requiment enforced by the SD Consortium. Then, if the device doesn't support exFAT, they announce supporting only 32GB in SD. But if you reformat the card with FAT32, then you can use 64,128 or more.

- The SD standard supported: original SD has a limit of 4GB, SDHC has a 32GB limit, and SDXC has a limit of 2TB (at time, no card with 2TB exists). Then if the device has support for SDXC (as the Moto G5 and the 99% of smartphones of today), ANY card be compatible... as all cards has less than 2TB.

That's all! The Linux kernel or the Android subsystem doesn't imposse any artifical limit to the SD slot.

Moto G5 Plus, XT1687 with 256 GB Micro SD Card class 10, working for years no slow down. Based on the advice in this post I bought the card. Thank You so much!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

Well they officially support up to 128gb but you should be able to use a 256gb without any problems
    Is it possible that your phone will only be able to access 128 GB of the total 200?
    Is it possible that the one who posted that in May 2017 (!) isn't interested in it anymore?

Sent from my Mi 9T using XDA Labs
    Last Activity: 06-06-2017 02:04 AM